Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Some Guy TT posted:

I really don't understand why people keep making statements like this as if I am disagreeing with them.

You post sarcasm and agreement in the same post/paragraph. If you’ve seen this before then the problem might be your writing style. However I’m glad we don’t not agree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Resident Idiot posted:

I know it gets said all the time, but Prince Valiant is so, so good.

That's exactly the panel I would have singled out for notice.

Foster is so good at expressions and writing parallels to themes still relevant today that you could replace Val's tunic with a Brooks Brothers suit and the scroll with a sheet of 8X11" and you'd still know he was freaking out over a huge bill.

BTW, I was looking at the guest list for a comic convention at the end of this month in CT and there's one in particular everyone should avoid..

There's something missing from his resume..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 20, 2021

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 28, 1946)

"Must I sack more walled cities to keep my wife in clothes?"
Next week - Camelot falls

I never got this one as a kid, since we don't really have any "I brake for X" bumper stickers in Norway. Of course, now that I do get it, its hilarious.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Badger posted:

BTW, I was looking at the guest list for a comic convention at the end of this month in CT and there's one in particular everyone should avoid..

I don't know if it's ironic or what, maybe disappointing for him, that his own creations, like Mudpie, aren't represented there are all

I used to read that in the paper and it had more charm than all his treatments of other people's characters put together

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Boy that spring sounds neat. Let's look it up in Wikipedia.

quote:

"At first I declared it the Crater of an Ancient Volcano. The Water occupying its hollow center is fathomless, and about 200 feet in diameter in a perfect circle! It is always brimming full and running over on all sides ... The hills about it were as sacred to the Indians as those about Jerusalem."

Nice!

quote:

In the end, the developers won. Construction on Glen Elder Dam began in 1964 and was completed by the end of 1968. Engineers bulldozed the hotel and health spa then, adding insult to injury, dumped the debris into the pool of Waconda Spring. Water from the Solomon River began filling up the valley, and by 1970 it was full. The irreplaceable Waconda Spring was lost beneath the waters of the reservoir that now bears its name.

Oh...

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "133 - Jucika And The Construction Site"

"134 - Jucika Is A Bit Of A Careerist"

"135 - Jucika And The Zipper Repair"

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Weembles posted:

Nice!

Oh...

"In the end, the developers won."

move over ernest, i found a new most depressing 6 word story

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (April 29, 1995)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Of course I just realized the author's name in this terrible and interminable Rex Morgan storyline is an anagram of Dav Pilkey, the guy who does Captain Underpants and Dogman and other goofy children's books

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Doomykins posted:

"134 - Jucika Is A Bit Of A Careerist"

Lord, I love this one a lot.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Weembles posted:

Nice!

Oh...

quote:

Dr. Bingesser brought in a respected hydrologist to inspect Waconda Spring. The hydrologist concluded that Waconda Spring was unique and possibly the only spring like it in the world. However, commercial advocates in favor of the dam dismissed the hydrologist and dismissively claimed that Waconda Spring was nothing more than a "mud hole."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Binary Badger posted:

That's exactly the panel I would have singled out for notice.

Foster is so good at expressions and writing parallels to themes still relevant today that you could replace Val's tunic with a Brooks Brothers suit and the scroll with a sheet of 8X11" and you'd still know he was freaking out over a huge bill.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Weembles posted:

Nice!

Oh...
Waconda forever :smith:

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

:five:

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Asking the important questions.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin under sail

M

I feel one thing that drags M a bit down, nearly 2 decades later is of course that many of the jokes that have bubbled through the public consciousness have also been done to death and back since then.

Also the words are so similar I didn't feel a need to translate Actionfigurer to action figures.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

:golfclap:

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Calaveron posted:

Of course I just realized the author's name in this terrible and interminable Rex Morgan storyline is an anagram of Dav Pilkey, the guy who does Captain Underpants and Dogman and other goofy children's books

gently caress

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

So, Holbrook slaps down so many things without ever thinking about them.
But the whole 'time travel is extremely fixed, and there is no free will, only predestination' thing he's got going on in the background is just low-key terrifying.
It doesn't help that those two are apparently incapable of making any kind of decisions without the guidance of their time-travelling daughter, regardless of if things are locked in stone or not.
But stuff like this seems to imply that they never just.. pick a house/place they like. They always picked that specific house because that's the house their kid grows up in. Buying it sight-unseen.

What happens if they deviate from her instruction? Is this just in a separate timestream that's safe, or will everything get catapulted off the rails a single event happens that changes how she grows up?
How utterly hosed is this poor kid going to be, growing up around this strange adult version of themselves that knows everything they've done, every secret they'll ever have?
Will they even be able to grow up, or will the future version of themselves always be there to 'correct' them whenever they try to be their own person?

(Holbrook probably operates on soft-scifi where they can do whatever because every single time-travel event has it's own, contained timestream where they don't conflict with eachother, but still: Poor kid.)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.thedailybeast.com/coors-bizarre-super-bowl-plot-to-invade-peoples-dreams

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Calaveron posted:

This is a perfect avatar + post combo.

There's a review board that has to judge which crimes of science they're allowed to do all this time?! :psyduck:

SubNat posted:

So, Holbrook slaps down so many things without ever thinking about them.
But the whole 'time travel is extremely fixed, and there is no free will, only predestination' thing he's got going on in the background is just low-key terrifying.
It doesn't help that those two are apparently incapable of making any kind of decisions without the guidance of their time-travelling daughter, regardless of if things are locked in stone or not.
But stuff like this seems to imply that they never just.. pick a house/place they like. They always picked that specific house because that's the house their kid grows up in. Buying it sight-unseen.

What happens if they deviate from her instruction? Is this just in a separate timestream that's safe, or will everything get catapulted off the rails a single event happens that changes how she grows up?
How utterly hosed is this poor kid going to be, growing up around this strange adult version of themselves that knows everything they've done, every secret they'll ever have?
Will they even be able to grow up, or will the future version of themselves always be there to 'correct' them whenever they try to be their own person?

(Holbrook probably operates on soft-scifi where they can do whatever because every single time-travel event has it's own, contained timestream where they don't conflict with eachother, but still: Poor kid.)

It's even worse than that. There was a part where the daughter's knowledge of the future didn't match with what was happening. When a huge meteor was on a collision course with Earth, her parents asked her if she knew the course it was taking so they could divert it. She answered that she didn't know about this meteor thing happening, which makes no sense since this is a pretty major event in human history and she should've known about it growing up. Who knows what other things don't match with the time-traveling daughter's memories?

So the future isn't fixed. These idiots have just been taking their future kid's words as the gospel truth and following it, locking themselves into her version of the future.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They're just determined to invent some causation-free paradox loops.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Sex Pest?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

amigolupus posted:

It's even worse than that. There was a part where the daughter's knowledge of the future didn't match with what was happening. When a huge meteor was on a collision course with Earth, her parents asked her if she knew the course it was taking so they could divert it. She answered that she didn't know about this meteor thing happening, which makes no sense since this is a pretty major event in human history and she should've known about it growing up. Who knows what other things don't match with the time-traveling daughter's memories?

So the future isn't fixed. These idiots have just been taking their future kid's words as the gospel truth and following it, locking themselves into her version of the future.

Things to memorize when travelling back in time to your parents' trip to Mars:
❌ The orbital parameters of the comet headed at Earth to end humanity, which your parents had a hand in stopping.
❌ The alien shapeshifter whose attack will threaten the lives of everyone on board, including the younger you.
❌ The orbital parameters of the piece of space debris that will destroy the spacecraft and cause the loss of the last remaining samples of the untainted Mars
✔ The exact time, to the second, that your childhood home goes on sale.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jul 20, 2021

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I Could Never Really Figure Out The Sweet Spot For A Speed Boost At The Start Of A Race

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

the face of a man who's about to get a pregnancy storyline.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Poor Waconda Spring, destroyed by progress:

" Perhaps to create publicity and boost sales of bottled water, a deep-sea diver was hired in 1908 to validate the well's depth. According to legend, the bottomless well was connected to the ocean and fell with the tide. The diver claimed to find no bottom, and instead uncovered trinkets that were interpreted as past spiritual offerings. Forty years later a team of geologists from the University of Kansas used sonar and found the well to be nearly 115 feet in depth.

Abraham and his descendants operated the spa until 1964 when federal flood control measures required the construction of a reservoir at Waconda Springs. Despite efforts to preserve the site as a national monument, the structures were bulldozed and the well was sealed in 1968. The spring was covered by water after a dam was built in on the Solomon River. Today it is Waconda Lake at Glen Elder State Park."

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 21, 2021

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

amigolupus posted:

She was aware of the meteor, but in her timeline it was destroyed long before ever reaching Earth. It's not so much time travel as jumping to alternate universes that are temporally out of synch with each other. Also, before she used time travel to study medicine to be the ship's doctor, she was blonde.

Also, Katwin kicks rear end.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Crab Dad posted:

This one stings really bad because his arm at the bottom near his hand is service stripes/hash marks for 3 years of service each (18years). Also he somehow got out at E2 which is.... not good.

Minor correction: those are service bars, not hashes. Hashes are diagonal, and you’re right that they indicate 3 years of service per stripe. Service bars, though, are horizontal, and were a WW1/WW2-only thing. Each bar indicated six months in overseas combat duty. I’m phone posting, so here’s a lazy link to a photo of a dress jacket with both: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Andersoncoat.jpg

So not 18 years of service, but 36 months in active overseas duty during WW2, so almost the entire war, which is pretty loving impressive. (And also still wonky that he only made E2, but could also be a direct comment on how racist the Army was about promotions.)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

I think he's a guest of honor at this convention every year? He probably knows someone on the board or something.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

:golfclap:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

:perfect:

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

Ghostlight posted:

the face of a man who's about to get a pregnancy storyline.

You mean a man who's going to get a SECOND one ~

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

skeleton warrior posted:

Minor correction: those are service bars, not hashes. Hashes are diagonal, and you’re right that they indicate 3 years of service per stripe. Service bars, though, are horizontal, and were a WW1/WW2-only thing. Each bar indicated six months in overseas combat duty. I’m phone posting, so here’s a lazy link to a photo of a dress jacket with both: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Andersoncoat.jpg

So not 18 years of service, but 36 months in active overseas duty during WW2, so almost the entire war, which is pretty loving impressive. (And also still wonky that he only made E2, but could also be a direct comment on how racist the Army was about promotions.)

That makes sense and I’m kinda sad I never knew that for WW2 service. At least the E2 makes a bit more sense. I had a uncle who made E4 three times due to alcohol incidents during Korea era so there’s always that.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogor

Nekonaughey

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Merry Christmas(?) from Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Shadow Dec 25th, 1940

Axa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Ho-hum, skipped another day, what'd I...
...hooboy...

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Skippy (December 2 and 4, 1933)

Peanuts (July 22-23, 1974)

Bombshell at this year's Funky WinkerCon (besides Funky WinkerCon being held in person this year)! TomBat forgot which characters he killed off in this silly strip!

CrankOH FOR gently caress'S SAKE!

I mean, they are supposed to be unbearable old men. It's semiplausible they'd get around to this particular topic...a whole year after everyone else did.

Mutt and Jeff, take us away.

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (February 17-18, 1938)

Out Our Way (January 14-16, 1937)

Toonerville Folks (November 8-10, 1917)

While we're in the neighborhood, let's check in with The Young Lady Across The Way (Also November 10, 1917)

Dok's "Wipe Your Feet Before Going Inside" Duck (September 10, 1913)

Little Lefty (January 24-26, 1935)

Meanwhile, on the Daily Worker puzzle page, pick up your #2 pencil, manufactured by the exploited American labor force, and lead the proletariat to to true liberation.

Blondie From Zero (November 24-26,1930)

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jul 21, 2021