Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

drrockso20 posted:

That episode was basically how me and my older brother were introduced to Bowie

I have a mental clock going when people are watching that episode for the first time to see how quickly they get the joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I like to pretend that there are secret Guild-only Yaz albums

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yaz had a weird little popularity bump in the 2010s. There’s an episode of Fringe where Walter is thawed out to a post-apocalyptic wasteland after being frozen decades earlier and listens to a Yaz album someone had made into a wind chime.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Sash! posted:

I like to pretend that there are secret Guild-only Yaz albums

"Each Guild member's copies are tagged with a unique audio identifier." "Yeah, so if we find that you've ripped your copy and hosted it to the 'interwebz,' we give your personal information, address, and list of worst fears to Vince and Alison along with ~carte blanche~ to do everything up to killing you."

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
my first episode was Powerless in the Face of Death. I was extremely confused by what I was seeing but intrigued all the same...

then I saw Hate Floats the following week and became a Hench 4 Life.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
I can't remember what my first episode was. Definitely first season. I remember flipping through channels and seeing bits of "that show with the kid who dresses like Fred from Scooby Doo" and thinking it was yet another Cartoon Network send-up of an old Hanna Barbera cartoon. Which it was, I guess, but I was thinking it was more of a Harvey Birdman instead of what it actually was, and at the time, I didn't care that much. But then one of the episodes just got me... maybe the first one I watched most of the way through was "Are You There, God? It's Me, Dean," and I think that may be it because it introduced the bureaucracy element, and that struck a chord with me.

Because that makes sense. That's how you have supervillains without them just going to jail. There's a trade union, there are treaties, there are rules, and that's why everyone gets close to getting killed, but it rarely happens.

I started watching episodes when I noticed they were on. What I didn't know was that Season 2 was about to start. So, I saw "Return to Spider-Skull Island," which is hilarious in and of itself, but the ending shocked me. By that time, though, I had seen some of the other reruns, and I suspected that alert: the boys were clones!, so when "Powerless in the Face of Death" kicked off, I was hooked forever.

I'd never heard that song before, by the way. But I love that opening. That episode also got my dad into the show. By the time the Season 3 finale rolled around, he was coming over with beer to watch the show. It was one of the few things we agreed on.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I was there from the Terrible Secret of Turtle Bay and rode that Hulk all the way to the end.

18 years ago!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think I saw the first episode? I think that was during high school when me and my friends watched Adult Swim pretty religiously to chat about it next day at school together. For a while we had that obnoxious quotes-based language teen boys seemed to develop at the time, basically communicating everything through the lens of weird brak quotes or whatever.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Sash! posted:

I was there from the Terrible Secret of Turtle Bay and rode that Hulk all the way to the end.

18 years ago!

Same here. When a friend and I learned another friend had never seen it we showed it to him and he loved it. We would binge episodes and when the Season 2 finale hit we didn't immediately start Season 3. He was wondering why and we tried to explain to him how maddening it was that there was a 6(?) year gap with that cliffhanger but he only has to wait a few minutes to show him the tiniest taste of what it means to be a Venture Bros fan.

I love Doc and Jackson but those mother fuckers take way too long to make new episodes even if the quality makes up for it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

limp_cheese posted:

Same here. When a friend and I learned another friend had never seen it we showed it to him and he loved it. We would binge episodes and when the Season 2 finale hit we didn't immediately start Season 3. He was wondering why and we tried to explain to him how maddening it was that there was a 6(?) year gap with that cliffhanger but he only has to wait a few minutes to show him the tiniest taste of what it means to be a Venture Bros fan.

I love Doc and Jackson but those mother fuckers take way too long to make new episodes even if the quality makes up for it.

October 2006 to June 2008 is definitely not a 6 year gap.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Khanstant posted:

For a while we had that obnoxious quotes-based language teen boys seemed to develop at the time, basically communicating everything through the lens of weird brak quotes or whatever.

Oh that goes back even further. We were basically developing a language out of Seinfeld quotes when there were new episodes.

The Voice was a major breakthrough for our vocabulary.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

October 2006 to June 2008 is definitely not a 6 year gap.

That's what it felt like at least.

Son of a Vondruke!
Aug 3, 2012

More than Star Citizen will ever be.

My first episode was the first one. I work nights, and they needed me to swap over to days for a week. I decided to just stay up all day and wrap my sleep schedule over to a normal persons. I downloaded the first two or three seasons and binge watched them while getting progressively more and more tired. I made it most of the way through and finished the rest in the morning. I then had to wait what felt like an eternity for more episodes to release.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
I got in on the pilot. Every season cliffhanger was excruciating.
Getting new people into VB is weird since there isn't that wait, like mentioned. We really just didn't know if it was going to continue on or not sometimes.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I don't remember at all, 2003 was like five lifetimes ago.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

deong posted:

I got in on the pilot. Every season cliffhanger was excruciating.
Getting new people into VB is weird since there isn't that wait, like mentioned. We really just didn't know if it was going to continue on or not sometimes.

Same. Watching that first season live was magical. I remember my wife and I just laughing ourselves to tears that first season. It really felt like every episode was better than the last. We still find ourselves saying "what if he's lying?" "What, it's better if he's telling the truth?"

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Sankara posted:

I don't remember at all, 2003 was like five lifetimes ago.

I totally read that in Doc Venture's voice and transposed the year as 1983.

Dia de Los Dangerous was mine. Fairly sure it wasn't during the first run but I was barely a teen. Wasn't the first time I got high but it among the best early times. Ahhh those days of staying up too late to watch cartoons all night with hoodlum friends. Next day at school SUCKED but I still remember quoting "In MeHIKO", "that suuuucks", "my beautiful guardian angel", "chupacabra - they're all over mexico" and "they hit me with a truck!" Also how I learned the word hubris.
I used to have this ancient vcr and recorded all kinds of crazy poo poo on old rear end tapes including first run Venture Brothers. I almost wish I could watch those again.

Khanstant posted:

I think I saw the first episode? I think that was during high school when me and my friends watched Adult Swim pretty religiously to chat about it next day at school together. For a while we had that obnoxious quotes-based language teen boys seemed to develop at the time, basically communicating everything through the lens of weird brak quotes or whatever.

Hah.... exact same in middle school and early high school. God it was obnoxious but kinda fun and beats the mopey, angst ridden later teen me.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

DogsInSpace! posted:

I totally read that in Doc Venture's voice and transposed the year as 1983.

Dia de Los Dangerous was mine. Fairly sure it wasn't during the first run but I was barely a teen. Wasn't the first time I got high but it among the best early times. Ahhh those days of staying up too late to watch cartoons all night with hoodlum friends. Next day at school SUCKED but I still remember quoting "In MeHIKO", "that suuuucks", "my beautiful guardian angel", "chupacabra - they're all over mexico" and "they hit me with a truck!" Also how I learned the word hubris.
I used to have this ancient vcr and recorded all kinds of crazy poo poo on old rear end tapes including first run Venture Brothers. I almost wish I could watch those again.

Hah.... exact same in middle school and early high school. God it was obnoxious but kinda fun and beats the mopey, angst ridden later teen me.

24's "Wow that Sucked" right after the dramatic and tragic death of Speedy was just perfect comedic timing

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm still not over "All right, whose job was it to feed the butterflies"

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Been hooked since THEY'RE ROBOT BONES

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

I can't remember what I was looking for, but I came across it on a :filez: streaming site. "Are you there, God, It's me, Dean", with the testicular distortion, was the first episode I saw. This would have been a short while before the second half of season 4 came out, I think.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

LashLightning posted:

testicular distortion

This would be a killer name for a shoegaze album

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

LashLightning posted:

the testicular distortion

That's a good nickname for the Deluxe Bass Big Muff on my pedal board....

JaddaCaddra
Oct 3, 2013
My first episode was either "Past Tense" or "Viva Los Muertos." This would have been around 2007 or 2008 I think. I enjoyed the hell out of both of them but don't recall ever seeing any other episodes until about 2013 when the first season was added to Netflix. Can't tell you how many times I watched it, and season two when it was added. Then they got taken off around 2015 and I put seeing it in its entirety on the backburner. Didn't accomplish that until I started from the beginning around March of this year. Ended up stopping some time in mid April, not long after starting season six, but a week or two back I finally finished up the series.

As a side note, even though I didn't recall any episodes other than the two I saw, I do remember seeing the commercial for "Perchance to Dean." The Dean clone screaming and Hank shouting "Oh my God, I killed Dean!" Always made me laugh when I saw it or thought about it, even though I had no idea of the context.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

ordered the enormous Go Team Venture! book a little while back, finally cracked it open. holy guacamole this is a goddamn tome. it rules.

putting on a couple episodes, watching Assassinanny 911 now, which made me learn something about winnebagos. the book has pages from the original venture bros pitch book, which lists brock as "part cherokee, part swedish." so now, over a decade later after first hearing the joke, I get the second layer: when hunter describes brock as "half-swedish, quarter-polish, quarter-winnebago," it's not just a joke about how he's the size of a motor home, but also an actual native american tribe that I didn't know about

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Third layer: it's kind of a commentary on something or other that we associate "Winnebago" with a motorhome rather than a tribe

(See also like 90 other tribal names which are now just brands)

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I repeat myself ITT, but: I discovered VB from a link to the Scrotal Safety Commission, as still-existing Angelfire site from the testicular torsion episode, on fark dot com in 2004. They hooked me with a barrage of testicle jokes.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Omnomnomnivore posted:

I repeat myself ITT, but: I discovered VB from a link to the Scrotal Safety Commission, as still-existing Angelfire site from the testicular torsion episode, on fark dot com in 2004. They hooked me with a barrage of testicle jokes.

:lmao:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I remember watching the first episode at a hotel thanks to jetlag really messing with my sleep schedule.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Omnomnomnivore posted:

How is that still there? lmao

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The show had been on my radar for a while but I'd never bitten the bullet because I worried it was just an edgy, crass Johnny Quest parody. Finally a friend who loved it put on a DVRed episode on after a party and it was Escape from the House of Mummies Part II. It could not have been a better episode to suck me in. I immediately went and binged the rest.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Escape to the House of Mummies, Ghosts of the Sargasso, and Tag Sale are my go-to introductory episodes. They're all self-contained episodes that don't rely on too many previous references that are microcosms of the show.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

But it’s the guy from Depeche Mode!!!

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.

Data Graham posted:

Third layer: it's kind of a commentary on something or other that we associate "Winnebago" with a motorhome rather than a tribe

(See also like 90 other tribal names which are now just brands)

Fourth layer, and something I've soapbox'd in this thread before: "Winnebago" is a considered by many to be ethnic slur against the Ho-Chunk.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

My first episode was Hate Floats. The moment the henchmen did Mars Bringer of War I was hooked.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I missed the pilot but I've been watching it from the beginning. When I was in middle school I watched literally everything that aired on [adult swim].

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

World War Mammories posted:

ordered the enormous Go Team Venture! book a little while back, finally cracked it open. holy guacamole this is a goddamn tome. it rules.

putting on a couple episodes, watching Assassinanny 911 now, which made me learn something about winnebagos. the book has pages from the original venture bros pitch book, which lists brock as "part cherokee, part swedish." so now, over a decade later after first hearing the joke, I get the second layer: when hunter describes brock as "half-swedish, quarter-polish, quarter-winnebago," it's not just a joke about how he's the size of a motor home, but also an actual native american tribe that I didn't know about

Reminds me of the fun they have with Brock's ancestry in Poker Night 2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLyuz_Q0aR8

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Mantis42 posted:

I missed the pilot but I've been watching it from the beginning. When I was in middle school I watched literally everything that aired on [adult swim].

I was amazed that it was cartoons where they said things like "drat"

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!

Cojawfee posted:

I was amazed that it was cartoons where they said things like "drat"

Were you as shocked and delighted by Raphael in the original TMNT movie as I was?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
I kept adult swim on constantly from its launch date until years and years later, and worked late shifts, so I'd come home and catch the late reruns when they'd go through the entire schedule a second time, and saw the pilot on its first showing and knew it was the perfect show for me. I watched it religiously until i got rid of cable, and after that I ended up buying the DVDs, downloading it, and watching on whichever streaming service it was on.