Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

knox_harrington posted:

Thanks for your concern about my listening pleasure. I agree it's not set up perfectly. The sofa is should really move left a bit, though it's a balance between lining it up with the speakers and looking out over the lake.

For movies I've just been using the soundbar which has been ok with this setup. Playing music it's kind of to the room rather just for people sitting on the sofa.

This is sitting on my armchair. It's a good spot.

sounds like you need a bigger couch, or a projector with a much bigger screen-- maybe even one that comes down from the ceiling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
I'm looking into setting up a simple audio system. I want to play back the FLACs (ripped from CD) stored on my home server. I am looking at getting a Yamaha N303 because I just need stereo and it seems to support DLNA. I have two questions:
1) How well does DLNA work? I've never used it but it seems pretty easy to set up a server.
2) Where should I go to start researching speakers? I don't have the best ears but I do care about quality. This is for a small-ish room (10' x 12') so I don't think I need anything fancy.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I would really suggest SOMETHING to keep the window and walls from reflecting and interfering with the sound, whether that's curtains, panels, or moving it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Joe Chip posted:

1) How well does DLNA work? I've never used it but it seems pretty easy to set up a server.

It's... Mostly OK, but the selection of software is not nearly as good as it should be.

I used the Twonky media server built into my NAS at the time, with BubblePNP on my phone as the controller and a Chromecast as the renderer. Most of the time it would work just fine, but occasionally I would run into issues with Twonky not reading tags correctly or simply just skipping some files for whatever reason.

Now I have DIY HTPC/NAS, so I just use that directly instead. For network playback on various devices, I used SMB/NFS network folders, which are a lot more robust than DLNA ever was.

quote:

2) Where should I go to start researching speakers? I don't have the best ears but I do care about quality. This is for a small-ish room (10' x 12') so I don't think I need anything fancy.

Ideally you should go listen to as many different speakers as possible and make your own decision. I've been really happy with Dali and Monitor Audio, others like Wharfedale, Q Acoustics, Polk, Klipsch, JBL or a whole host of other brands. Most of the well-known names make pretty good speakers, though of course it various from model to model.

One starting point for more objective speaker reviews is ASR: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?pages/SpeakerTestData/, if a speaker you're interested in has a review there, that's a decent starting point for getting an idea of how a generally accepted as good speaker behaves.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Joe Chip posted:

It's easy to give suggestions but speakers are such a subjective thing it's tricky. I'm a big fan of checking online marketplaces (like canuck or USaudiomart, audiogon, craigslist, etc...) and when something looks neat just go do some google reading about what people think of them, check hifishark for normal used prices and then make a decision. Speakers are one of those things I almost always go used for, failures are almost always linked to abuse and are usually easy to notice. For reference I've had good experience with speakers by Canton, Martin Logan, Klipsch (older models that are probably too big for your space), JBL (although they're really hit or miss as they make such a wide range of products for a wide range of markets), Chario, Magnepan (for that space probably not) , Advent (the original older models), Elac (I've had the B6 and UB5 and they both impressed me for their price).

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I'm trying to get 120Hz on my PS5.

I have an LG C1 and a QR code tagged, certified HDMI 2.1 cable from Best Buy going from HDMI2, the eARC port to a Denon X3700H. I have the appropriate HDR settings enabled on the TV.

On the Denon I turned on 8K Enhanced under the Video > 4K/8K Signal Format setting.

I'm then using the cable that came with the PS5. Under the Video Output Information the supported frequencies only show up to 60Hz. The Color Format also says it will be YUV422 or YUV420 instead of RGB due to HDMI 2.0 transfer speeds.

I don't have a 120Hz game to test but I think I should still see 120 at this screen. If I press the Info button on the Denon remote while in the PS5 menu, it shows 4K60 for input and output. I could be wrong and might need a game though.

Edit: Installed Fortnite and enabled 120fps in the game menu. With the game still open I go look at the Video Output Info page and it says the current signal is 1080p at 120Hz. The 4K frequencies down below still only go to 60Hz. Unless the PS5 cable isn't 2.1, not sure what I'm missing.

Edit 2: I removed the receiver from the equation and I can get 4K at 120 by running either of the cables straight from the TV to the PS5. Something in the receiver is limiting it, but the only setting I've heard to change is turning on 8K Enhanced in the Signal Format setting which I did already. What else could there be?

Edit 3: a tip from the TV thread said I need to be using the 8K input on the receiver. It worked! I thought that was just another label like Game or Blu-Ray and didn't notice it's shaded different.

KingKapalone fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 18, 2021

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

To be fair, I also find B&W speakers either ugly or nondescript, and I get what Toebone is saying about the tatty looking trim that B&W have decided to go with since they ditched the signature yellow Kevlar for some reason (probably because companies like KRK and Fluance were doing it too).

Toebone- rather than talking about things you don’t like in speakers what elements do you like?

If I gave you a list of brands to look at, would you check them out and see if any elements strike your fancy? Snark aside, there’s like a jillion speaker companies making speakers of all different looks.

Triangle Audio (specifically the Borea line)
Monitor Audio (pretty much all of their lines)
Wharfedale (specifically the Linton and Denton 85)
Klipsch- both the RP series in piano black or the Klipsch Heritage line (these are pricey and dumb- in the best way- toys for hobbyists, but they’re all about fancy finishes and aesthetic and poo poo)
JBL- I like white woofer cones
Polk Audio- their brand new mid tier line looks v. nice, a return to form for a brand that IMO’s been languishing for a long time
Q Acoustics
Zu Audio

....I’ll add more attractively designed speakers as I remember them

What are your thoughts and anyone elses on B&W AM-1 outdoor speakers? I listened to Monitor and Focal? Felt the B&W sounded the best, paid $700 for the pair. Installation was really pretty easy, and I thought very well made.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

derk posted:

What are your thoughts and anyone elses on B&W AM-1 outdoor speakers? I listened to Monitor and Focal? Felt the B&W sounded the best, paid $700 for the pair. Installation was really pretty easy, and I thought very well made.

I haven't experienced them, do the AM-1s have an aluminum cabinet like the M-1s? I'm guessing the AM-1s are built like the (for indoor use) M-1s which means they're built like brick shithouses and you could use one to club a burglar to death if you had the need to.

I use M-1s for side surrounds and tested them out briefly as stereo mains and I think they sound great considering the size, and the AM-1s are bigger, so... If they sound good to you that's all that really matters. Personally I love B&Ws sound and shelved $11,000 MSRP worth of Infinity/Revel speakers to go back to B&W.

Some people like B&W sound, some people don't, but not sure I've ever seen anyone accuse them of being shoddily made.

Most likely the worst you'll see is accusations of being overpriced, which is certainly possible, but to me is not always so clear cut. Like yeah your favorite internet direct speaker maker has a lot less overhead but they also only sell 7 speakers a week and they don't sell a line of $200 ear buds that subsidizes things like engineers/R&D/sound studios/etc.

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 21, 2021

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
I usually buy active speakers, and currently have Edifier S350DB set up for my tv. One of them is faulty though and edifier is REAL lovely about trying to fix it, so kind of gave up and never want to buy anything from them again. Good price for what you get... Until it doesnt work anymore.

Thinking about just buying two KEF LS50 META and a receiver, instead of going the active route again, for the time being. When I move in a year or two I want to go 5.1 though, would that be silly with the kef's for that too and just buy the missing ones? I mostly just love how they look, and they are supposed to be pretty good value.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Woodenlung posted:

I usually buy active speakers, and currently have Edifier S350DB set up for my tv. One of them is faulty though and edifier is REAL lovely about trying to fix it, so kind of gave up and never want to buy anything from them again. Good price for what you get... Until it doesnt work anymore.

Thinking about just buying two KEF LS50 META and a receiver, instead of going the active route again, for the time being. When I move in a year or two I want to go 5.1 though, would that be silly with the kef's for that too and just buy the missing ones? I mostly just love how they look, and they are supposed to be pretty good value.

KEF sells solo LS50s for precisely that

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Ah wasn't sure. Thanks for the answer, will look a bit further into it next week, when I can probably get to test a pair out.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Woodenlung posted:

Ah wasn't sure. Thanks for the answer, will look a bit further into it next week, when I can probably get to test a pair out.

when you go HT pair them with two of KEF’s sick new mini subs, unless you want to go with SVS, of course

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

What's the state of wireless surround sound speakers for AV receivers? Every time I've looked into it in the past the solution has always been "Oh yes, you can have wireless rear speakers. Just buy two of our $300 smart speakers and you're all set!"

Has anything better come along that maybe supports the WiSA standard?

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I assume you have power outlets where you plan to place the rears?

That's kind of what has blocked me from even looking into wireless rears - that I'd still have to run new wires for power. Might as well run speaker wire at that stage, considering what my homes have looked like. So, I can't say much about the products on the market.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
I'm planning on replacing an ancient 1080p TV with an LG G1. Due to peculiarities of the room layout, there is a ~50ft HDMI 1.4b cable run between the TV's mount and my AVR (Sony STR-DN1040). While researching, I've realized two things: First, HDMI 2.1-compatible AVRs don't really exist yet without nasty caveats (and the ones on the immediate horizon are way too expensive for my unrefined ears), and my current one might not even be able to pass through a 4K signal if it's got more recent HDCP requirements. Second, 50ft HDMI 2.1 cables look like a total crapshoot right now.

Would it be reasonable to plug my PS5 directly into the TV with a short 2.1 cable and use ARC for audio until the broader 2.1 situation improves, or is ARC as much of a clusterfuck as CEC? I did a basic test of ARC with the old TV's built in Netflix app and it seems to work, but I don't have enough experience to fully trust it.

Failing that, should I trust that a cable like this one will actually perform as advertised?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
ARC should be fine especially on a 2.1 system. Optical HDMI cables work, and are just expensive as poo poo.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Just remember that ARC only supports 2 channel PCM or compressed audio, which could be an issue for you. ARC can also degrade audio quality and add audio lag which isn’t noticeable with movies but can be with video games.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pretty much everything supports eARC now.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!
Worst case scenario, I use headphones with the PS5 for a while, I suppose.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So I'm having quite the fiasco with best buy and the geek squad warranty on my NR676. In lieu of this they're offering me a deal on a Denon S750H. It had significantly less input options, 75w/ch instead of 100 on my 676 and I'd also lose bi amp capability which I currently use with my Klipsch towers. How noticable will that be? I really like to crank it sometimes

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Odds are that you won't notice any difference. The difference between 75W and 100W is like 1dB.

Bi-amping is snake oil and doesn't make any difference, especially not from a single power supply.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yep bi amping from one integrated amp does nothing and the Denon is at this point probably better quality overall (as you have experienced). I’d imagine realistically the power output is similar.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Another question then, their selection in Canada is pretty poo poo but are there any other receivers I ought to be looking at instead if I can?

I was initially set on HDMI 2.1 but my tv doesn't even support it and that's a recent purchase so that's not a concern for a few years yet. 7.2/multi zone is important as I'm planning on mounting a couple outdoor speakers sooner rather than later. Using any of the smart/NET/phone features on my Onkyo was always lovely so I want to improve that as well, it would be nice not to have to rely on my shield to stream music through, and just let the receiver handle it all itself when I only want to do music.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I think S750H, the H means HEOS so it has pretty decent stream and remote control via app capability. It’s a commonly recommended model if you don’t want to get an X series Denon.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So I move for the 750H, mostly to just be done with this and get to go home an enjoy my speakers again instead of the untold agony of listening to TV speakers. Hook everything up, a whole lot of fun given my permanent sort of setup and having things moved in the interim while I was waiting for a resolution to this problem. Fire up the receiver, shuts off after a second and starts blinking red on the power LED. According to the manual that means either speaker wire is touching where it shouldn't be (nothings changed since before, so I dont think its that), or the amp circuit has failed. Or could also be the wrong speaker impedance but I mean that seems a bit out there.

Guess I'll have to unplug speakers one by one and see if I can single out anything. Wish me luck

e: unplug them all, still wont stay turned on! :D

ee: literally nothing plugged into it, did a factory reset, plugged into another outlet. Nope. Did BB give me this as some kinda cruel joke?

codo27 fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 11, 2021

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I wonder if they gave you a return or something…

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Everything appeared to be brand new but, I mean it sure seems like its a dud out of the box

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Cross-posting from PS5 thread with some super niche info that might be of use to like one person:

PSA for people with an older amp that doesn't support ARC/eARC, who have just bought a PS5/new TV! (yes this is a niche group shut your mouth

If anyone, like me, has bought a fancy new TV to go with their fancy new PS5, but is worried about things not playing with their amp/audio setup, hoo boy this is the post for you.

I've got an old (but good!) Sony DH800 amp, and, like a simple man, I enjoy panning the camera around myself in games to hear sounds move from speaker to speaker.

When I got my PS5, I realised that my amp wasn't specced to squirt HDR/4k resolution back to the TV, so I could either have 7.1 surround sound and no HDR, or crappy TV speakers but with pretty pictures. My new TV had e-ARC (which is you're unaware lets you use an HDMI port on your TV as an audio out to an amp that supports it), but, once again, the age of the amp meant it couldn't support that.

After doing some research, I came across this extremely dodgy looking product and site: https://www.thenaudio.com/product/sharc-earc-audio-converter/

For $188 it promises to take the eARC from your TV and gently caress around with it to act as a normal audio input for your non eARC amp! Powered by the USB on your TV, and has a variety of additional outputs/dip switches etc that I'm frantically too scared to touch.

Excitingly though, it works! I've got an LG CX and it works a treat. It took a little fiddling with the TV's & PS5 audio settings, but it actually did what I wanted it to do.

Well worth a try if you've upgraded your TV and are too broke to upgrade your amp as well, IMHO.

Again, this may be a super niche crowd to talk to, but for my exact circumstances it was perfect, and I've not seen many folks talking about it, so I thought I'd share it here.

I'm absolutely not being paid to say this, but if you fuckers are reading this, I'm not a proud man and will accept any and every scrap you'll throw my way

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Does it control audio levels via the optical output?

I have the IR blaster on my Sony TV but it's slow to send volume change commands to my HK, and the optical connection is audibly less noisy than the TRS out.

Changing the volume means tapping the button many times and waiting for the command to register on the amp; also, the on screen TV volume slider does not correlate with the actual volume level.

I just want a way to easily control the amp volume; I don't have the original remote handy and I hate changing remotes.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

It says that you can use the TV volume to control the volume of the amp, but I've not tried that. I'll give it a go in a bit and report back.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

codo27 posted:

Everything appeared to be brand new but, I mean it sure seems like its a dud out of the box

Called Denon. In a surprising turn of events, rather than belittle me with basic troubleshooting, after explaining what had happened they basically said "yeah according to what you describe then it must be defective, return to best buy". The saga continues.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Flint_Paper posted:

It says that you can use the TV volume to control the volume of the amp, but I've not tried that. I'll give it a go in a bit and report back.

Ah poo poo never mind I just noticed it is primarily for receivers with HDMI in.

I have a HK-3490 and it has features like "iPod dock expansion port".

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Just remember that ARC only supports 2 channel PCM or compressed audio, which could be an issue for you. ARC can also degrade audio quality and add audio lag which isn’t noticeable with movies but can be with video games.

To follow up on this: Yup and yup. The audio delay isn't so bad once I fiddled with some of the settings (specifically, setting ARC on the TV to "bypass"), but the 2 channel limitation is a bummer. Receivers with proper HDMI 2.1 support can't come soon enough.

But in the mean time, plugging headphones into the PS5 controller actually sounds pretty good, especially in games with 3D audio support, and 4K+HDR is glorious.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I moved my LG C7, Denon x1400H, and Shield Pro 2015 to another room and downsized the speakers to 3.0. I don't seem to be getting anything from the center channel on Netflix, HBO, and Amazon. I tried Altered Carbon, White Lotus, and The Expanse respectively. A few others too.

In Plex though I'm getting some. I tried a 7.1 4k movie remux that did plus a few other shows. The Shield is set to Auto for audio which selects HDMI and Plex is on Passthrough.

The same content on my main setup - C1, X3700H, Shield Pro 2019 with a 5.2.4 system is getting audio from the center. Any ideas what's up?

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
My old receiver just kicked the the bucket (HDMI board, Onkyo RC-360) and I suddenly need a new one. From some preliminary research, it seems like now is a bad time? HDMI 2.1 isn’t fully settled, Onkyo/pioneer seems to be in trouble and nothing is really on sale thanks to Covid.

Im looking at the Onkyo Txnr696 for its Sonos integration, but that’s not a dealbreaker. I have 5.1 speakers and an older Samsung 1080p plasma.

Budget is maximum 800$ Canadian

Thanks!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

When I return this DOA denon this weekend I'm planning on getting the 696 as well. Onkyo was later purchased by Voxx so they should now be under stable ownership

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Frank Dillinger posted:

My old receiver just kicked the the bucket (HDMI board, Onkyo RC-360) and I suddenly need a new one. From some preliminary research, it seems like now is a bad time? HDMI 2.1 isn’t fully settled, Onkyo/pioneer seems to be in trouble and nothing is really on sale thanks to Covid.

Im looking at the Onkyo Txnr696 for its Sonos integration, but that’s not a dealbreaker. I have 5.1 speakers and an older Samsung 1080p plasma.

Thanks!

Does the optical input(s) still work? could run audio from the TV that way, but it does get annoying if you have lots of HDMI devices.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Frank Dillinger posted:

Thanks!

The Sonos integration isn't great but it does work and they promise in a future update there will be actual volume control! Happy to answer questions about it. I'm not sure when the new TX-NR5100 is shipping in Canada but it's $600 US and from all reports actually works with HDMI 2.1. If you see a used 696 cheap maybe jump on it but I wouldn't buy one new right now.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

Wibla posted:

Does the optical input(s) still work? could run audio from the TV that way, but it does get annoying if you have lots of HDMI devices.

That’s a good idea, I’ll try that first. We mostly just use an Apple TV right now, not a lot of switching happening. If it does work, that’ll give me time to wait for sales/new receivers with proper HDMI 2.1 support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
And if you gotta stretch a dollar you can get an HDMI switcher with optical out much cheaper than a new receiver!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G46V5N4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_MGFM8J6PF35TDEPM8H1B

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jul 20, 2021