Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That Guy From Pearldiver posted:

I finished the Fugazi tutorial.

:hellyeah:

mind eraser posted:

I opened up a record store about a week ago in my hometown in West Texas. Been a solid week of sales especially since we opened around record store day. Here’s our Instagram if any of you would like to check it out.

https://instagram.com/sounddecayrecords?utm_medium=copy_link

Our biggest selling section so far has been the Dark wave/Minimal wave/ goth and synth pop/80s. I’ve been low key sad that punk especially the new stuff hasn’t been moving but we’ll see how it goes as we progress as a shop.

:nice:

I’d love to open a record store, especially if it had a little space at the back for shows, but it’s so ridiculously expensive here I think it’d backrupt me in 3 months :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

mind eraser posted:

I opened up a record store about a week ago in my hometown in West Texas. Been a solid week of sales especially since we opened around record store day. Here’s our Instagram if any of you would like to check it out.

https://instagram.com/sounddecayrecords?utm_medium=copy_link

Our biggest selling section so far has been the Dark wave/Minimal wave/ goth and synth pop/80s. I’ve been low key sad that punk especially the new stuff hasn’t been moving but we’ll see how it goes as we progress as a shop.

Congrats record store owner goon friend. We did this a year ago and it has been a wild ride.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Another dollar bin pickup - this sold roughly 500 gazillion copies, but it's a Columbia 6-eye which is nice to have for an iconic recording like this.

I do want to find the Earl Wild version at some point.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Another dollar bin pickup - this sold roughly 500 gazillion copies, but it's a Columbia 6-eye which is nice to have for an iconic recording like this.

I do want to find the Earl Wild version at some point.

FYI you can’t actually play a pack of American spirits

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

BigFactory posted:

not with that attitude

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

BigFactory posted:

no!!!!

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Them’s those Am Spir Organic Gold. For a healthy smoke :clint:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Pro move is packing a bong with American spirit pow wow blend. Do they still sell that? In the pouch?

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

pwn posted:

Them’s those Am Spir Organic Gold. For a healthy smoke :clint:

it's unfiltered. smh at playing filtered cigs on a turntable

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

lament.cfg posted:

remove the t's from the end of the URL

if you jumped from Dragons to AED/Heretic you missed some really good poo poo in between

Thank you for the url assist.
I had already found Goths with the bonus Green Ambient vinyl. Get Lonely and Beat The Champ are next on the list.
It's bizarre, but I don't believe I've ever seen Transcendental Youth on Vinyl. That seems even more rare than Tallahassee which was perpetually on back order at my usual haunts.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I had already found Goths with the bonus Green Ambient vinyl. Get Lonely and Beat The Champ are next on the list.
It's bizarre, but I don't believe I've ever seen Transcendental Youth on Vinyl. That seems even more rare than Tallahassee which was perpetually on back order at my usual haunts.

https://www.mergerecords.com/product/transcendental_youth

wait till you get to the pre-'00 stuff

i recommend you give up in advance

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I know this is just a pipe dream, but I'm hoping this is a sign of a Skies of Arcadia remaster for current consoles. :pray:

https://www.fangamer.com/products/skies-of-arcadia-vinyl-box-set

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Cruised through a thrift store that usually gets a lot of music related poo poo for some reason and all there was was an old clarinet and an utterly destroyed vinyl copy of Rush's A Farewell to Kings. Like missing the front half of the gatefold destroyed. I need to get on the barn sale plan post haste.

That Guy From Pearldiver
Apr 18, 2001

President and Sole Member of the Andre Braugher Appreciation Society

lament.cfg posted:

https://www.mergerecords.com/product/transcendental_youth

wait till you get to the pre-'00 stuff

i recommend you give up in advance

Oh yeah, Anything Pre-All Hail West Texas I'm not even going to bother.

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I have this copy of Beat the Champ https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/6853876?ev=rb that I would probably sell you. Doesn't have the download code. Only played once or twice.

mind eraser
Dec 26, 2005
Monkey see, Monkey do, Monkey has low I.Q.

BigFactory posted:

Out of curiosity, how did you get your inventory for opening day? Had you just been acquiring stuff for a long time with the Intention of opening a store down the road, or was it some kind of big lump purchase?

Some stuff was from my personal collection but I had been planning this store out since March. I bought and ordered as many records as possible within that 4 month span. It helped that I discovered a ton of good distributors to get wholesale prices from for the newer stuff.

mind eraser
Dec 26, 2005

Toe Rag posted:

:hellyeah:

:nice:

I’d love to open a record store, especially if it had a little space at the back for shows, but it’s so ridiculously expensive here I think it’d backrupt me in 3 months :smith:

Haha, yeah. El Paso, where I’m at, isn’t too expensive compared to other cities but hoping I can at least make this viable. So far so good.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
Please help me solve a minor dilemma, thread! :) I could toss a coin, but eh.

As seen in my previous post, I have a disc that is Patti LaBelle' s New Attitude on side A and Axel F on side B, with Beverly Hills Cop art on the back.

Would you sort this into a movie soundtrack section? Or with the regular alphabetized music section? Patti LaBelle is on the cover, but on the other hand...Axel F... Thoughts?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

New Attitude was on the soundtrack, so if you already have a music soundtracks sorted out it would go there imo.

mind eraser
Dec 26, 2005

SwimNurd posted:

Congrats record store owner goon friend. We did this a year ago and it has been a wild ride.

Hell yeah, congrats to you too! Would love to check your shop out if you wanna post it as well. Been a wild ride here too and we are less than a month in.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Read After Burning posted:

Please help me solve a minor dilemma, thread! :) I could toss a coin, but eh.

As seen in my previous post, I have a disc that is Patti LaBelle' s New Attitude on side A and Axel F on side B, with Beverly Hills Cop art on the back.

Would you sort this into a movie soundtrack section? Or with the regular alphabetized music section? Patti LaBelle is on the cover, but on the other hand...Axel F... Thoughts?
Start a splits section.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I put splits under whichever band I care about. In the rare scenario where I like both bands I would put it under whoever is on the A side. 3+ go into comps.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I started to resort my collection and started to do it by genre before realizing it was insane maybe thirty records in. I think alphabetical by last name and chronologically within artist works best. Probably will keep soundtracks together at the end.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Read After Burning posted:

I know this is just a pipe dream, but I'm hoping this is a sign of a Skies of Arcadia remaster for current consoles. :pray:

https://www.fangamer.com/products/skies-of-arcadia-vinyl-box-set

Wayo released that album a couple of years ago, so don't take it as a sign of a remaster. They currently have a box set for one of the Ys games, too, and I think Grandia. The first 500 copies of Skies of Arcadia were on a blue marble vinyl with shikishi signed by the composer.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Schremp Howard posted:

I started to resort my collection and started to do it by genre before realizing it was insane maybe thirty records in. I think alphabetical by last name and chronologically within artist works best. Probably will keep soundtracks together at the end.
On a regular basis I get the bug to tag my music files with genre and usually I don't even make it halfway into A before I realize the folly. Really wish ID3 supported multiple tags in a field.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I organized mine based on this skit. I've got 3 broad categories, guitar based music, drum based music, and horn/piano based. Works out pretty well for the most part!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahhvmzr_pZo

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I have mine organized by category. Classic Rock, Modern Rock, Funk/Soul/RnB, Hip Hop, Jazz, World, Metal, Soundtrack, Noise/Ambient/Spoken Word, and a huge stack of unorganized crap. Everything is alphabetical in the sections.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I had a friend who organized his CDs by spine color. It was cool.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I just got done alphabetizing my collection. I had about 13 Kallax-holes worth of records and only 10 Kallax-holes available to fill. All soundtracks and compilations went into a milk crate. Same with all comedy/spoken word/weird non-music stuff. Then I just pulled out some artists that I really didn't care to listen to so I have a couple crates of records I'll give away some day.

I used to do roughly by genre but it had gotten too big to find anything specific so this is a relief. Discussions were had over:

Jethro Tull under J or T
Art Garfunkle under G or next to S+G and Simon solo
The Charlie Daniels Band under C or D
Diana Ross & the Supremes under R or S

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

wa27 posted:

I just got done alphabetizing my collection. I had about 13 Kallax-holes worth of records and only 10 Kallax-holes available to fill. All soundtracks and compilations went into a milk crate. Same with all comedy/spoken word/weird non-music stuff. Then I just pulled out some artists that I really didn't care to listen to so I have a couple crates of records I'll give away some day.

I used to do roughly by genre but it had gotten too big to find anything specific so this is a relief. Discussions were had over:

Jethro Tull under J or T

Well Jethro Tull is the name of the band, not the name of someone in the band so it goes under J for me.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

What about stuff like Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti / Ariel Pink solo?

yes yes "the garbage" but really though

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

wa27 posted:

Jethro Tull under J or T

Here’s how I would do it even though I haven’t really alphabetized my records in years:

Jethro Tull under J.
Art Garfunkel solo with S&G, even though the other way makes more sense. For me it’s easier to find stuff that way.
Charlie Daniels Band under D
Diana Ross and the Supremes under S

I could see someone doing it completely the other way, though, except for Jethro Tull.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Just my opinion but the only way to go is alphabetical by artist, sort albums chronologically in each artists section. Sort by the artists first name or however they’re generally referred to. Kate Bush goes in the Ks, Hall & Oates go in the Hs, etc. soundtracks and comps are their own category at the end.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Stan Taylor posted:

Just my opinion but the only way to go is alphabetical by artist, sort albums chronologically in each artists section. Sort by the artists first name or however they’re generally referred to. Kate Bush goes in the Ks, Hall & Oates go in the Hs, etc. soundtracks and comps are their own category at the end.

In your scenario, Hall and Oates would be filed under D. All the early records are Darryl Hall and John Oates, full names.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

BigFactory posted:

In your scenario, Hall and Oates would be filed under D. All the early records are Darryl Hall and John Oates, full names.

I think you’ll find I built in a loophole with the “however they’re generally referred to” bit, which is why I included Hall & Oates in the example. Checkmate.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Stan Taylor posted:

I think you’ll find I built in a loophole with the “however they’re generally referred to” bit, which is why I included Hall & Oates in the example. Checkmate.

This is a Darryl Hall and John Oates house, and don’t you forget it! And tuck that shirt in, who do you think you are, Todd Rundgren!

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
But where do your split LPs go?

Me, I just do pure chaos. Where can the record fit? It goes there!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cemetry Gator posted:

But where do your split LPs go?

Me, I just do pure chaos. Where can the record fit? It goes there!

Yeah that’s where I am now too. I split up my collection and it’s a mess.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

All this is why I bought bins and my sorting is "last played goes in front".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I own like 15 LPs and 1 EP that plays at 45 rpm. All of my stuff is in an IKEA milk crate sized cloth container. Ohh and like 21 Garth records sitting separately.

It’s sorted by whatever I played last.