Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

life is killing me posted:

Gonna piggyback off this and add: is anyone else’s kid playing with water by pouring it out and refilling something constantly?

And does anyone else’s kid put all their bath toys on the edge of the tub in a row? That’s really weird but my son does it every single night

My 5yo stepdaughter uses to until she decided she wanted to start taking showers like mommy and daddy. So now instead of lining her toys up in her own bath she's instead bringing all of her bath supplies in to our walk in shower and leaving them there. The toddler is too busy throwing his toys around in the sink to line them up. Speaking of him...

cailleask posted:

The legs thing isn’t an issue, I promise. Most kids actually prefer being able to cross their legs rather than having them dangling. Both of my kids rear faced until 4 and were perfectly happy- and it really is much safer!

hooah posted:

This comes up fairly often, and they're fine with their legs bent.

Thanks y'all. I wasn't sure myself. Cailleask when did you switch from the carrier for them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

sharkytm posted:

On topic chat: I can actually post in this thread! Our first kid was born on Friday morning. Good Lord, it's awesome. Everyone's healthy and happy, kiddo only lost a few ounces in the first 2 days, the pediatrician said to keep up the great work and that he's perfect. I didn't cry when she said that. Nope. Not at all. My wife's been a rockstar. Breast feeding is way harder than I thought.

Congrats! Based on posts here the adrenaline will wear off between days 5-8, and then just keep your eye on the prize, week six when things calm down considerably

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

citybeatnik posted:

Cailleask when did you switch from the carrier for them?
This seat can be used rear facing up to 50 lbs, which I think is the heaviest I found at the time. I was told our kids would be rear facing until they can drive.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Gonna piggyback off this and add: is anyone else’s kid playing with water by pouring it out and refilling something constantly?

And does anyone else’s kid put all their bath toys on the edge of the tub in a row? That’s really weird but my son does it every single night

Our 14mo does both these.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Constantly. When she doesn't have water she'll pour beads, slips of paper, or random pieces of trash.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Well I’m glad my kid’s not the only one, and my daughter will probably be doing that too—I was worried it was indicative of something but toddlers are weird anyway so who knows. Now it sounds like those are both pretty common and normalish things? Like they are just learning through it?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Well I’m glad my kid’s not the only one, and my daughter will probably be doing that too—I was worried it was indicative of something but toddlers are weird anyway so who knows. Now it sounds like those are both pretty common and normalish things? Like they are just learning through it?

My kid does that stuff too. In the tub, in the pool, in the sandbox, in the sensory bin. He’s constantly pouring from one thing to another to another.

He doesn’t line up anything yet but he definitely likes things in a specific arrangement. He’s got these foam letters for the tub and they’re all just in a plastic bin, but sometimes if they aren’t stacked just so, he flips out. He does the same with his big legos.

I was worried about it at first, thinking maybe he was OCD or something, but I think his brain is just going through poo poo and if something changes, it’s hard for him to accept right now, just like everything else.

cailleask
May 6, 2007

citybeatnik posted:

My 5yo stepdaughter uses to until she decided she wanted to start taking showers like mommy and daddy. So now instead of lining her toys up in her own bath she's instead bringing all of her bath supplies in to our walk in shower and leaving them there. The toddler is too busy throwing his toys around in the sink to line them up. Speaking of him...

Thanks y'all. I wasn't sure myself. Cailleask when did you switch from the carrier for them?

Before age 1 for both. They were too heavy to haul around in the buckets, and the bigger seats were more comfortable. I’ve had a couple different car seats - but they can stay in the convertible ones for ages. My 4 year old is still harnessed in one we turned around forward.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Getting frustrated at stuff not working seems healthy to me, ours went through a phase just recently where he'd crack the shits if his Duplo tower fell over but now he's much more patient with it

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

What you're going to do is get yourself a water table:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K1K0K6M

Kids loving love playing with water, and water tables are like crack.

Honestly when we don't feel like getting the swimsuit and breaking this out, we just get our 3.5 a 5 gallon bucket and the water table toys. She'll just play with that... pouring water in cups or on the driveway or whatever. She's to the point where she knows she's not supposed to get her clothes wet, and she's just fine. Sucks when 14mo is outside, because all he wants to do is play with it too and lol if that's not the worst idea ever (the water table is fine closely supervised, though).

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Well my daughter's therapist finally sent out a response to both us and shitsnuffler re him going "no i control when she talks to you how dare you try and cut in to my time!"

Basically boiled down to wtf are you doing she asked for a zoom last friday why the gently caress didn't you set one up for her?". She suggests against scheduled zoom calls (which'll make the new orders we're drafting interesting) and instead letting our daughter decide when she wants to reach out. My wife and i are certain that fuckface'll try the old "well she doesn't want to talk to you so there" trick from last year but luckily we record the zoom calls and can just outright ask her when she'd like to see us again.

This cuts both ways of course and when she's with us she can ask to talk with him. She hasn't ever asked for one but now we have to deal with a habitual liar telling us when/if she does and bitching when his daughter doesn't want to deal with him. But it did feel good to tell him and his attorney to finally go pound sand.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

This seat can be used rear facing up to 50 lbs, which I think is the heaviest I found at the time. I was told our kids would be rear facing until they can drive.

That was one of the ones we were looking at - we one set up forward facing for my stepdaughter. Looks like i know what to tell his grandparents to help buy for his birthday.

cailleask posted:

Before age 1 for both. They were too heavy to haul around in the buckets, and the bigger seats were more comfortable. I’ve had a couple different car seats - but they can stay in the convertible ones for ages. My 4 year old is still harnessed in one we turned around forward.

How easy was it to get them in with it backwards facing?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Yes to both. Apparently both are also a developmental milestone?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

DaveSauce posted:

What you're going to do is get yourself a water table:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K1K0K6M

Kids loving love playing with water, and water tables are like crack.

Honestly when we don't feel like getting the swimsuit and breaking this out, we just get our 3.5 a 5 gallon bucket and the water table toys. She'll just play with that... pouring water in cups or on the driveway or whatever. She's to the point where she knows she's not supposed to get her clothes wet, and she's just fine. Sucks when 14mo is outside, because all he wants to do is play with it too and lol if that's not the worst idea ever (the water table is fine closely supervised, though).

We have a water table but he dismantles any toy more complicated than blocks and so he did thus to his water table. He has dismantled every single hot wheels tracks he's received, though he's a little under the recommended age for those anyhow.

Renegret posted:

Yes to both. Apparently both are also a developmental milestone?

For 3 years? He's been doing this since last summer for reference. Well, the water. The putting things in rows is fairly recent.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jul 19, 2021

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Kids love water man.

And getting to fill things up and pour it and watch it and play and feel it it's all fun

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Wife had a baby on Wednesday but she had pneumonia and been in the NICU ever since. Things are looking up now, they're taking her off of breathing support and starting feeding :unsmith:

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Slaan posted:

Wife had a baby on Wednesday but she had pneumonia and been in the NICU ever since. Things are looking up now, they're taking her off of breathing support and starting feeding :unsmith:

Sorry that your start sucked, here's to happy days ahead. Ours has been a super kid; sleeping in 2-3 hours blocks at night, very little fussing, breastfeeding is going great, etc. I'm just waiting for the other shoe (or first shoe) to drop. I can only imagine how stressful starting out in the NICU must be.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
It's been stressful yeah but my wife has been much harder hit. Dealing with it while in pain from the emergency caesarean and unable to breastfeed has made her a roller coaster between depressed and furious. The NICU has been giving us lots of visiting hours at least

cailleask
May 6, 2007

citybeatnik posted:

How easy was it to get them in with it backwards facing?

Not that hard? The SUV was easier, but I used to do it in a sedan and a two-door coupe very regularly as well. Generally very little head-bonking... you get a feel very quickly for how to orient their bodies for maximum efficiency and safety. I could do it with a sleeping toddler, even, if I went slowly.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

For the past couple weeks our kid has been learning to take little bites off bigger food. He seems to love doing it.

Then all of a sudden yesterday he decided that eating crackers is too hard and his new way of eating crackers is to spike them into the ground so they shatter then he picks up the now bite-size pieces and eats those. What the hell little dude.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

For 3 years? He's been doing this since last summer for reference. Well, the water. The putting things in rows is fairly recent.

I mean at some point it stops being a milestone and just exists as a fun game.

My kids favorite bath toys are a bunch of plastic cups and his favorite game is filling them up with water and lining them up on the rim of the tub. And if I stop paying attention for one second I usually get a lapfull of water.

L0cke17 posted:

For the past couple weeks our kid has been learning to take little bites off bigger food. He seems to love doing it.

Then all of a sudden yesterday he decided that eating crackers is too hard and his new way of eating crackers is to spike them into the ground so they shatter then he picks up the now bite-size pieces and eats those. What the hell little dude.

lol kids own. They're too smart for their own good sometimes.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

cailleask posted:

Not that hard? The SUV was easier, but I used to do it in a sedan and a two-door coupe very regularly as well. Generally very little head-bonking... you get a feel very quickly for how to orient their bodies for maximum efficiency and safety. I could do it with a sleeping toddler, even, if I went slowly.

I put two "too tall" kids in their rear facing seats in a 08 Honda Civic... It def ain't hard at all.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

L0cke17 posted:

Sounds like he's been watching the birds outside his window and picking up a few tricks.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
My daughter is back from the weekend with her dad and his parents at their house, and she has been hitting me a LOT. It’s never in anger, we are playing or sitting or whatever and she randomly comes up and tries to slap me. She has also kicked me and scratched me, two things she has never done before. Again, not in anger, the kick was when we were playing with blocks and the scratch was on my back while I was hugging her, but they were both definitely intentional.

I’m trying to tell myself that it’s because she’s glad she’s at home and is probably having the same feeling as an adult wanting to squish a cute puppy, but she doesn’t have impulse control yet.

Now that the baby is six weeks old, we sort of have a routine, and my hormones aren’t so intensely surging, I’m realizing just how lovely my situation is, and it’s making me really mad. I guess I’m in stage two of the grieving process?? Pretty sure I’m skipping the bargaining step and will plunge right into depression, if I haven’t already been there all along. Still seeing a therapist, still have a great network of friends who would definitely help if I asked for it, still taking my Prozac, so hopefully that’s enough.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Koivunen posted:

My daughter is back from the weekend with her dad and his parents at their house, and she has been hitting me a LOT. It’s never in anger, we are playing or sitting or whatever and she randomly comes up and tries to slap me. She has also kicked me and scratched me, two things she has never done before. Again, not in anger, the kick was when we were playing with blocks and the scratch was on my back while I was hugging her, but they were both definitely intentional.

I’m trying to tell myself that it’s because she’s glad she’s at home and is probably having the same feeling as an adult wanting to squish a cute puppy, but she doesn’t have impulse control yet.

Now that the baby is six weeks old, we sort of have a routine, and my hormones aren’t so intensely surging, I’m realizing just how lovely my situation is, and it’s making me really mad. I guess I’m in stage two of the grieving process?? Pretty sure I’m skipping the bargaining step and will plunge right into depression, if I haven’t already been there all along. Still seeing a therapist, still have a great network of friends who would definitely help if I asked for it, still taking my Prozac, so hopefully that’s enough.

It's pretty tough to stave off situational depression or depression in general when you are getting almost zero sleep, or at least the lack of sleep doesn't do you any favors. Again sorry you're going through this. Maybe your daughter is feeling your grief and stress and anxiety, which are pretty big feelings for her to feel, and dealing with it the only way she knows how? Because it sounds like a big change for her too.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Koivunen posted:

Our son did/does this sometimes, as well as some hand flapping (which is totally developmental). We started redirecting him to do the hand flapping instead when he hits or kicks out of excitement, saying "happy hands!" and doing it ourselves as well. I don't know if it's actually helping curb the behavior, but it definitely feels better for me to be Doing Something rather than just taking it or snapping at him.

You've got a super crappy situation and are handling it super well. I really hope life eases up on you soon.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Koivunen posted:

I can't speak to your exact situation but we go through something similar with our daughter whenever she gets back from her dad's. Her therapist says some of it's a release since she's back in a safe place and can let her guard down and emotions out.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

sheri posted:

Kids love water man.

And getting to fill things up and pour it and watch it and play and feel it it's all fun

Using a bucket of water and a paintbrush to paint the driveway is another fun game.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

nwin posted:

Anyone else’s kid randomly start hating baths?

Our 2.5 year old has always loved them but the last two days he screams and fights against going in. The water hasn’t been too hot or anything-maybe just a fun new phase to deal with?

Is it because he doesn't like the bath itself or because he'd rather continue playing with whatever he was playing with before? Ours has really not liked being interrupted (particularly if he's just picked up a thing to play with or is in the middle of something). But generally if we say it's time to have a bath and ask him to put away the things he's playing with he'll usually do it and then potter over to the bath.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Lobsterpillar posted:

Is it because he doesn't like the bath itself or because he'd rather continue playing with whatever he was playing with before? Ours has really not liked being interrupted (particularly if he's just picked up a thing to play with or is in the middle of something). But generally if we say it's time to have a bath and ask him to put away the things he's playing with he'll usually do it and then potter over to the bath.

I think the dudes just cranky. He happily runs upstairs but then after the water is in the tub he just says no.

Then today he jumped right in so /shrug

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

nwin posted:

I think the dudes just cranky. He happily runs upstairs but then after the water is in the tub he just says no.

Then today he jumped right in so /shrug

My first two both went through multiple phases of hating and loving baths for no apparent reason. My youngest loves water and doesn't even care about being splashed in the face. Middle child enjoys baths currently but has to be physically restrained for hair washing.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

3mo old won’t eat. 30m nap, inconsolable, unlikely it’s gas. Appears to want to eat but keeps popping off the bottle and screaming. Milk temp is room temp at this point, she wouldn’t go back to sleep for nap, won’t rock, won’t calm down. In her room with drapes closed for silence in case she is overstimulated. By the way she just burped and that was not the problem. Any suggestions because I’m about to pull my hair out and I shave my head so…

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

3mo old won’t eat. 30m nap, inconsolable, unlikely it’s gas. Appears to want to eat but keeps popping off the bottle and screaming. Milk temp is room temp at this point, she wouldn’t go back to sleep for nap, won’t rock, won’t calm down. In her room with drapes closed for silence in case she is overstimulated. By the way she just burped and that was not the problem. Any suggestions because I’m about to pull my hair out and I shave my head so…

Talk to your pediatrician and maybe bring a poopy diaper to the next visit. Our kid displayed similar symptoms over a couple weeks and our pediatrician told us to bring a diaper after we explained what was going on. She ended up having some blood in the stool and diagnosed with a cows milk protein allergy.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

nachos posted:

Talk to your pediatrician and maybe bring a poopy diaper to the next visit. Our kid displayed similar symptoms over a couple weeks and our pediatrician told us to bring a diaper after we explained what was going on. She ended up having some blood in the stool and diagnosed with a cows milk protein allergy.

I hope she’s not allergic to her mom’s milk. She has been doing okay otherwise, she’s in a leap/milestone now so perhaps that’s contributory. No idea anymore.

This incident also marks the fifth time that my toddler’s bowels have seemingly become sentient and decided that he must defecate and need to be wiped only when Daddy is dealing with an irate infant. So you know, one of the worst possible times.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ugh, today was day 6 of diarrhea for the 2-year-old. I my wife took him on yesterday afternoon and all the PA had to offer was "try some probiotics". We've got some powdered something or other that we can put in his food and drink; any ideas if that will be enough? I'm really sick of cleaning up messes every morning.

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Whelp, 4.5mo has some non-standard Torticollis, so I guess I'm gonna be doing bits of PT with her for the next 3 weeks until she goes starts daycare.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Ear infection?

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

I hope she’s not allergic to her mom’s milk. She has been doing okay otherwise, she’s in a leap/milestone now so perhaps that’s contributory. No idea anymore.

This incident also marks the fifth time that my toddler’s bowels have seemingly become sentient and decided that he must defecate and need to be wiped only when Daddy is dealing with an irate infant. So you know, one of the worst possible times.

Yeah with babies it can be any number of things so I don’t mean to scare you there. For me the specific sign that made me know something was wrong was that over a period of a couple weeks she was recoiling and arching her back during night feeds when usually she would drink very well or fall asleep during the feed.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

sheri posted:

Ear infection?

Not sure. It’s possible? She hasn’t otherwise been acting abnormal though, just acting like she’s going through a leap so generally more cranky but usually not too cranky to eat. This isn’t the first time she’s done this on the bottle but she usually does bottles just fine. She was basically screaming for a bottle but seemed to hate it when given to her.

nachos posted:

Yeah with babies it can be any number of things so I don’t mean to scare you there. For me the specific sign that made me know something was wrong was that over a period of a couple weeks she was recoiling and arching her back during night feeds when usually she would drink very well or fall asleep during the feed.

Our first used to do the same thing but for him it was usually because the flow was too overwhelming or the milk/formula wasn’t flowing fast enough.

For our daughter it seems that today, despite waking after thirty minutes and refusing to go back to sleep, she was tired and hungry but didn’t want either of those things while desperately needing and wanting them at the same time. I got her down for a nap again at least.

It’s not as if she’s hurting for snuggles, even if she’s screaming I would rather hold her than put her down unless I absolutely must in order to do something else like make her a bottle. Any chance I get I’m holding this kid because it’s like getting a second chance to snuggle since our first won’t snuggle much anymore

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Not sure. It’s possible? She hasn’t otherwise been acting abnormal though, just acting like she’s going through a leap so generally more cranky but usually not too cranky to eat. This isn’t the first time she’s done this on the bottle but she usually does bottles just fine. She was basically screaming for a bottle but seemed to hate it when given to her.
If she's regularly unwilling to take breast milk from a bottle, smell inside the bottle and see if its smells "metallic". If it does, her mom might be producing high-lipase breast milk and she's picky about it. That's a whole topic unto itself, but this might be a clue to the puzzle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
Another option is to have mom cut all dairy out of her diet. It’s possible that the allergy is only to cow’s milk.