Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

astral posted:

Freedom Flex for the rotating 5% categories + cell phone insurance? I don't believe they allow you to product change from/to co-branded cards, as a general rule.
Good point about the co-branded. A good portion of our monthly household spend is from Amazon so that 5% is very attractive but I see that you can only PC to the same line, so Sapphire and Freedom.

Looks like the Flex and Unlimited are essentially the same but Flex has a .5% lower cash back on all purchases while adding 5% on bonus categories and phone insurance. I think it comes down to Flex if I want to get a separate 2% cash back card like Fidelity/Paypal or Unlimited if I wanted to use the CFU as the catch-all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Flex + 2% is the way to go if you're not trying to make real money on sign up bonuses. Keep in mind that the Flex is a Mastercard though, so when it rotates to warehouse stores you won't be able to use that 5% at Costco. If you can convert to the old Visa Freedom that would be ideal, but I doubt it.

Edit: Freedom is better than 2% if you have a CSR and can redeem the points for an effective 2.25%

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jul 8, 2021

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

OldSenileGuy posted:

lmao I was considering keeping the Platinum for one more year because the $240/year streaming credit is more than enough to offset the increase in annual fee (definitely dumping it when they start limiting the Centurion lounge to no guests though)

turns out the streaming credit is only valid on Peacock, SiriusXM, Audible, and NYTimes

way to keep it lovely, Amex!

Holy poo poo that is abysmal

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I am an AU on my wife's CSP. I've created a referral link for the 100,000 point bonus and I'd like to apply for it using this link. The offer states: "The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card,...."

Am I considered a "current cardmember" since I am an AU?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Cacafuego posted:

I am an AU on my wife's CSP. I've created a referral link for the 100,000 point bonus and I'd like to apply for it using this link. The offer states: "The product is not available to either (i) current cardmembers of any Sapphire credit card,...."

Am I considered a "current cardmember" since I am an AU?

You're fine. Enjoy the extra points.

Lead Pipe Cinch
Mar 10, 2003

Heavy Metal Bakesale

I’ve had the Discover It card forever, but am thinking of making that a backup to Chase Sapphire Preferred if I can get it since our kid is reaching the age where family vacations are going to be a more frequent/elaborate thing and $50-$60 cash back a month is nice, defraying travel costs feels nicer. Only thing that’s giving me pause is the option to get an airline card instead, I currently live on the West Coast and my family is back East, so there’s always going to be at least one big flight a year, but I’m questioning whether an individual airlines deal (probably Alaska) is going to surpass the CSP’s yield/flexibility.

I am also looking at Capital One Venture card against the CSP if anyone has thoughts on that.

Lead Pipe Cinch fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jul 10, 2021

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I just tried to product change my home projects card for Wells Fargo Active CashSM Card (2% Cashback) and they aren't doing product change.
I have a union plus card I can't product change.

I also have a visa through my credit union, not sure on that.

I just want 2% rewards on something jeeze.

I tried that 3% Alabama card and no luck, I'll try penfed next, or maybe do the chase bonus cash ladder.

American express? I have no cards with them and my score shows 725-759

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I just tried to product change my home projects card for Wells Fargo Active CashSM Card (2% Cashback) and they aren't doing product change.
I have a union plus card I can't product change.

I also have a visa through my credit union, not sure on that.

I just want 2% rewards on something jeeze.

I tried that 3% Alabama card and no luck, I'll try penfed next, or maybe do the chase bonus cash ladder.

American express? I have no cards with them and my score shows 725-759

AmEx doesn't have a 2% card with no fees, the closest is probably their Schwab 1.5%. Fidelity 2% might work for that score range.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

You should be able to get the PenFed version and enjoy that total lack of hassle (as long as you don't mind letting them hold $500 to get the 2% rate). They've significantly relaxed about who they'll give their cards to.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

How long does it typically take to get a bonus for a buying threshold for Chase (for the points to actually post)?

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 17, 2021

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Upgrade posted:

How long does it typically take to get a bonus for a buying threshold for Chase (for the points to actually post)?

My points are always awarded at the end of my statement period.

Etuni
Jun 28, 2006

What it lacks in substance, it makes up for in pretty colors

Does anyone have a referral code for the Delta Gold Amex? I'm seeing a 70,000 Skymiles offer for $3k spend in the first 3 months, plus a $200 statement credit if you make a Delta purchase during that time. Seems like I can score a free <$200 flight somewhere and have plenty of points to spend towards a big trip next year. I had the Platinum Delta Amex awhile back but cancelled it in 2019. That shouldn't prevent me from getting the bonus for this card, correct?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Cross post from the Long Term thread. Its from HYSA recomendation HM Bradley

Xenoborg posted:

Speaking of HM Bradley, I guess I was never asked what my income is, so when I click to their credit card offer I see this:

What an astounding deal.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Xenoborg posted:

Cross post from the Long Term thread. Its from HYSA recomendation HM Bradley

lmfao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i got an offer (in the mail?????) for the amex cash magnet and i want to fill it out kuz i want an amex kuz ive never had one and i think it would make me cooler but also i really like that my sofi card forces me to put my rewards into stock and i can do it right on their platform by redeeming the beautiful gems im harvesting by buying beers and mcdoubles etc. anyways im very conflicted about this and i think im going to just chop my head off with a halberd. the cash magnet is 1.5% which is fail imo whereas the sofi is 2% if redeemed into stock. -_-

here is the question is the sofi card a cool enough dude to free the prez?

also does the code it gave me (on paper in the mail whcih is always for scams 100%) going to maybe Fail and decline me while aslo doing a hard pull? or does the code auto guarantee it? ive attempted to read the paper but there is no way to ctrl+f the paper so i gave up instantly. :tipshat:

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Smythe posted:

i got an offer (in the mail?????) for the amex cash magnet and i want to fill it out kuz i want an amex kuz ive never had one and i think it would make me cooler but also i really like that my sofi card forces me to put my rewards into stock and i can do it right on their platform by redeeming the beautiful gems im harvesting by buying beers and mcdoubles etc. anyways im very conflicted about this and i think im going to just chop my head off with a halberd. the cash magnet is 1.5% which is fail imo whereas the sofi is 2% if redeemed into stock. -_-

here is the question is the sofi card a cool enough dude to free the prez?

also does the code it gave me (on paper in the mail whcih is always for scams 100%) going to maybe Fail and decline me while aslo doing a hard pull? or does the code auto guarantee it? ive attempted to read the paper but there is no way to ctrl+f the paper so i gave up instantly. :tipshat:

You can go on the Amex site to see if you’re preapproved with the online tool first if you want. It’s like usually 90% right. Once you have an Amex you also don’t have to worry about subsequent hard pulls for new cards.
As always, check the spreadsheet for referrals for goodies

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Would recommend getting a better card than the cash magnet. Do you have a good grocery card yet? Restaurants?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

astral posted:

Would recommend getting a better card than the cash magnet. Do you have a good grocery card yet? Restaurants?

im too stupid to janitor different categories so im content with a 2% for all thing. thats the g*ds honest truth. maybe one for only groceries would be cool but only if it was 5% i think is what it would take to be worth it for me.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Smythe posted:

im too stupid to janitor different categories so im content with a 2% for all thing. thats the g*ds honest truth. maybe one for only groceries would be cool but only if it was 5% i think is what it would take to be worth it for me.

If you spend more than like $60 a week on groceries for its break-even point, the Amex Blue Cash Preferred gives you 6% back on groceries for a $95 annual fee. It has the good amex extended warranty. If you spend less than that they've got the no-annual-fee Blue Cash Everyday for 3% back on groceries.

We recently discussed a new Citi card that gives you 5% on groceries if you only use it for groceries; here's the terms around that:

quote:

Grocery Stores
Includes purchases at supermarkets, meat/seafood stores, dairy stores, bakeries, and miscellaneous food/convenience stores. Excludes purchases at general merchandise/discount superstores; wholesale/warehouse clubs; candy, nut and confectionery stores. Purchases made at online supermarkets or with grocery delivery services also do not qualify if the merchant does not classify itself as a supermarket by using the supermarket merchant category code.

So no Walmart or Target, and grocery delivery services will depend solely on their merchant category coding.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the chase freedom flex is giving 5% cash back on groceries for the first year you have it and the 5% quarterly bonus categories also include groceries for this quarter, and they apparently are stacking them

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

astral posted:

If you spend more than like $60 a week on groceries for its break-even point, the Amex Blue Cash Preferred gives you 6% back on groceries for a $95 annual fee. It has the good amex extended warranty. If you spend less than that they've got the no-annual-fee Blue Cash Everyday for 3% back on groceries.

We recently discussed a new Citi card that gives you 5% on groceries if you only use it for groceries; here's the terms around that:

So no Walmart or Target, and grocery delivery services will depend solely on their merchant category coding.

this is very cool and thorough, thank you astral.

i spent about $30 per week on groceries from the actual grocery store, and then probably another 30 on top of that at the liquor store for pbr allotment that my neighbors drink most of anyways because theyre filthy leeches. I see sofi categorizes the liquor store as "dining and drinks" so dunno if that would count for it but it should since its a normal rear end liquor store.

it sounds crazy but is there a merchant code or something i can run to see what category is counts for on various platforms? this is kind of interesting to think about really. like i run several squareup storefronts and i have no idea the gently caress category they are or how they are determined. did I do this at some point in the past? lmfao. hosed up.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

the chase freedom flex is giving 5% cash back on groceries for the first year you have it and the 5% quarterly bonus categories also include groceries for this quarter, and they apparently are stacking them

Oh yeah, I forgot this offer was back, and they are stacking them for a total of 9% back on groceries this quarter. Note that Chase does not consider Walmart Grocery to be groceries despite the fact that it codes as Groceries, so you only get 1% back there. Not sure if Walmart Neighborhood Markets code as groceries for Chase these days, either.

Smythe posted:

i spent about $30 per week on groceries from the actual grocery store, and then probably another 30 on top of that at the liquor store for pbr allotment that my neighbors drink most of anyways because theyre filthy leeches. I see sofi categorizes the liquor store as "dining and drinks" so dunno if that would count for it but it should since its a normal rear end liquor store.

Not sure. I'd suggest going with that Chase Freedom Flex for the year of 5% back on groceries (as long as Walmart is not your grocery store of choice).

quote:

it sounds crazy but is there a merchant code or something i can run to see what category is counts for on various platforms? this is kind of interesting to think about really. like i run several squareup storefronts and i have no idea the gently caress category they are or how they are determined. did I do this at some point in the past? lmfao. hosed up.

Though it's supposed to be somewhat standardized, my understanding is each payment network does merchant codes a bit differently. Your best bet is to find people that have shopped at a store before and posted about how it coded for a particular network/bank.

You probably set up your merchant category when you originally set up your storefronts, but I'm sure squareup has instructions to change it if you need to.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

astral posted:

Not sure if Walmart Neighborhood Markets code as groceries for Chase these days, either.

Did not qualify for 5x on my Freedom, but triggered the grocery bonus on my no-AF United card at the same store, so... 🤷

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Small White Dragon posted:

Did not qualify for 5x on my Freedom, but triggered the grocery bonus on my no-AF United card at the same store, so... 🤷

Sort-of makes sense if that didn't have the same specific exclusion that the Freedom cards do.

Pinus Porcus
May 14, 2019

Ranger McFriendly

Smythe posted:

I Google searched by retailer name and code for a major card (the Amex everyone likes for grocery?) and found a list posted by the credit company regarding various merchants and how their stuff codes. Just look for either major retailer name or similar company.

Sadly, I only spend about $40 per month at a place that was considered a grocery store.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

astral posted:

the Amex Blue Cash Preferred gives you 6% back on groceries for a $95 annual fee. It has the good amex extended warranty.

I'm not really up to speed on Amex, what's so good about it?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Does anyone know if the Amex platinum CLEAR credit will cover $179 reimbursement for only a single CLEAR membership, or whether it will reimburse $179 total if I get a United status membership plus one for my wife for a total of $179?

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Cacafuego posted:

Does anyone know if the Amex platinum CLEAR credit will cover $179 reimbursement for only a single CLEAR membership, or whether it will reimburse $179 total if I get a United status membership plus one for my wife for a total of $179?

It's $179 for any Clear charges. A bunch of people in Reddit mention doing exactly what you say, without issue.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

literally this big posted:

Do I need to worry about the income confirmation that credit lines will ask for on occasion on their website? Citi wants me to update my income, but I was laid off recently so I'd rather not update it with $0. I have enough cash to keep going for a long time, but I'd rather not get hit with an unnecessary credit decrease or account closure. What is everyone's experience with that?

Income update is usually only something good to do if your income increases so that you may qualify for different cards (along with other factors obviously). The only one that you have to be wary of is Amex. They will conduct a financial review if your spending habits are abnormal or don't match up with your reported income. The threshold is pretty high and usually related to manufactured spend but it is a possibility.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I have a couple of cards that I don't use too much as their rewards are bad or they have outlived their usefulness. I keep them open just to avoid the credit hit and they have no AF, so it's no skin off my back.

Is it worth trying to ask for credit limit increases or do I risk an adverse effect if they figure I'm spending enough to make it worth their while to even give me what I already have?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

It's $179 for any Clear charges. A bunch of people in Reddit mention doing exactly what you say, without issue.

Thanks! I’m going to try signing up for both of us today.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

I'm not really up to speed on Amex, what's so good about it?

Historically, they've been a lot easier to deal with for claims than other lenders' benefit providers. Not sure if that's changed recently, to be fair.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Smythe posted:

Wow, not even willing to min-max? And you call yourself a Gamer...

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Is it worth trying to ask for credit limit increases or do I risk an adverse effect if they figure I'm spending enough to make it worth their while to even give me what I already have?

It's rare to have an account closed providing you put some spend every so often (1-2 months). They might deny your increase if you don't use it much though. For example, Goldman has increased my limit maybe $500 from $8000 but I only use it for the App Store and iPhone Upgrade Program, so they figure I don't need it.

I'd search in /r/creditcards and see which ones are soft or hard pull. IIRC, Chase is always HP and likes to limit total credit across cards, Citi is usually soft otherwise they'll ask to do a HP, BOA is SP unless you reject their offer, then they ask for HP. Apple Card is SP as well. I'm not sure about others.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
FYI: Starting today, the special non-advertised "in-branch exclusive" offers for Chase are very good.

You can also bypass the 5/24 rule if you qualify for at least one card and apply for two at once.

Just got:

Chase Sapphire Preferred:

- 100k points
- $50 grocery credit
- Free year of Doordash Plus and Lyft Plus + Lyft credits
- 5% back on all travel booked through Chase Travel Portal or Partners
- $65 back on Peloton purchases and free 1 month subscription.
- Annual fee waived for the first year.

Chase Freedom Flex:

- $250 cashback bonus
- 5% Cashback on all groceries for the first year
- 0% APR for 18 months
- 3% cashback on select streaming services for the first year

All with a single pull and just a little over 2 years after I cancelled my last Sapphire Preferred and qualified for the bonus again.

The only downside is that you have to let them pitch you on opening a checking account, mortgage refinance, HELOC, savings account, or whatever else you may not have with them for 2 minutes afterwards.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jul 22, 2021

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Do you think the Citi Custom Cash will finally force Amex to change up the Blue Cash preferred? I can't think of any justification for anyone to pay $95/year for a 6% card when there's a free 5% copycat out there.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis

Thoguh posted:

Do you think the Citi Custom Cash will finally force Amex to change up the Blue Cash preferred? I can't think of any justification for anyone to pay $95/year for a 6% card when there's a free 5% copycat out there.

It’s not completely a copycat when the preferred also has 3 on gas and streaming

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Thoguh posted:

Wondering that too, for now I have a note to check back in Nov before the fee hits and probably change over.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

im on the net me boys posted:

It’s not completely a copycat when the preferred also has 3 on gas and streaming

Given that anyone who's doing category-janitoring has a 2% card, and those are not large categories for many people (I originally said they were both small, but I guess some people commute in gas guzzlers), the real-world annual cash benefit of that extra 1% across the board is probably still not likely to be worth more than the the annual fee. They do need to up their game if they want to justify that AF

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 23, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Unsinkabear posted:

Given that anyone who's doing category-janitoring has a 2% card, and those are not large categories for many people (I originally said they were both small, but I guess some people commute in gas guzzlers), the real-world annual cash benefit of that extra 1% across the board is probably still not likely to be worth more than the the annual fee. They do need to up their game if they want to justify that AF

WF Propel is no fee and is 3% on gas, don't know if there are other no fee card that offer that but I assume there probably are.