Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Did the Meathead's smoked pork belly banh mi yesterday paired with veg from my garden. Came out amazing, but by the end I was shunting the bread aside to just scarf down on the pork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For those using non-electric smokers, what does everyone use to light their smokers/grills with these days? I'm using a chimney starter but frequently find myself scrambling to find material to use under it to get it going.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

For those using non-electric smokers, what does everyone use to light their smokers/grills with these days? I'm using a chimney starter but frequently find myself scrambling to find material to use under it to get it going.

Get a phone book and you will have material handy all the time.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

I use a chimney starter, if I can't find newspaper I use the propane side burner on my grill.

Maybe get some starter cubes? I think you can make them out of cotton and parrafin if you want to get all DIY.

bengy81 fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jul 20, 2021

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I use old magazines or something, you’d be surprised how long that or newspaper will burn under there to light the charcoal.

If that doesn’t work for you, you could try one of those fire starters you can find at the grocery or hardware store, they burn hot and slow so definitely long enough to light a chimney starter.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler
My normal operation is a chimney sitting over the side-burner of my gas grill - but I can vouch that the little starter cubes (I have used the Weber Light Cubes) work pretty drat well also. I never have newspaper or anything else either.....

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

All the grocery stores continue to send out weekly ads so I just use those.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I use the brown paper that comes in packages as padding.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When using the cubes do you use several or just one or what? And just set the chimney starter over it?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Chimney starter, a couple pieces of paper towel sprayed down with PAM as the lighter.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I like the haystack/tumbleweed starters better than the wax cubes, but I also have a kamado and toss mine directly into the firebox, and build a little pile of coal on top. Since getting them I haven't even really used my chimney.

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008

When using the cubes do you use several or just one or what? And just set the chimney starter over it?

I always put the cubes at the bottom of the chimney before adding the charcoal. It's a little tricky to light but seems to work better than setting the chimney over the top of them.

E: Usually two or three cubes. 1 seems to work fine but I get impatient.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

lol multiple cubes as starters? Those things put out a ton of flame for their size. Just light one and set the loaded chimney over it. It'll be ready by the time you prep your meat.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do
I use a few pieces of egg carton and a small length of butcher paper

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
1 normal/2select a size paper towels with like a teaspoon of oil on it has never failed to light my chimney.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I use the tumbleweed things. One of those will get a chimney going easy.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The tumbleweed things are great.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Chad Sexington posted:

Man I'm jealous. I want one but it just feels weird to buy one considering I'm only on a WSM 14. Just finished a 15-pound Prime packer I started last night. Finished in 11 hours instead of the 15-17 I was expecting because my temp jumped to 300 while I was sleeping. Hopefully the flat's not too dry!

I assume you hung your packer somehow?

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I assume you hung your packer somehow?

Removed the top grate so there was vertical space and bent it over a piece of wood so it was raised in the middle. The edges were still touching the sides so not perfect but it was fine.

When we moved we got a box of packing paper that is essentially blank newspaper broadsheets. Burns like a dream and no inky shenanigans.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I use a chimney and I use packing paper that I still have a stash of from when we moved in May of 2017. Think I'm getting close to running out though.

I used to use the electric ones but I kept ruining them by leaving them in too long or leaving them out and getting rained on and poo poo.

I've got a box of tumbleweeds for emergencies.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the input everyone. Ordered a Buch of weber cubes, gonna give those shot with the chimney starter.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Gwaihir posted:

The tumbleweed things are great.

The best commercially-available firestarter imo. Lights up pellets on the first try every time with no accelerant.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Doom Rooster posted:

1 normal/2select a size paper towels with like a teaspoon of oil on it has never failed to light my chimney.

Can confirm. My current grill has a gas starter but before I got it paper and oil is what I did.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I've been cheating recently and using a propane torch to ignite one of the briquettes. Then that one lights the rest.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe
While I know this is the smoking thread, I have a feeling there is enough overlap to ask this question.

I've been looking at changing my normal webber grill with a drop in natural gas grill. Has anyone had any experience with these types of grills? It would be a part of a small outdoor kitchen and there are so many different brands, most of which i've not heard. Price point would be around 2k and in something between 34 and 36 inches.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I heave a gnarled up, knotted, Yule log on to the fireplace grate, surround it by more normal chopped blocks of wood, stuff a bundle of stick and twigs at the front, and light it all up with a sheet of paper from the random Community Impact newspaper things they seem to mail everybody here. Those burn pretty well. OTOH I'm starting up a WFO so I'm playing a different game with starting a big bonfire in an enclosed space.

For normal crap, I use a chimney starter with one of those Community Impact pages on the bottom, maybe some paper hippy egg cartons also. Inside I'll add a few chunks of hard wood before throwing on any charcoal. Then I slap it under the chimney of my WFO because it effectively quadruples the height of the thing and creates a raging death fire. I've had the fire from a chimney starting rush out the top of my WFO chimney that way.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Twlight posted:

While I know this is the smoking thread, I have a feeling there is enough overlap to ask this question.

I've been looking at changing my normal webber grill with a drop in natural gas grill. Has anyone had any experience with these types of grills? It would be a part of a small outdoor kitchen and there are so many different brands, most of which i've not heard. Price point would be around 2k and in something between 34 and 36 inches.

I saw a Monument drop-in at a house earlier this week, had a glass face on the lid which I never heard of before and it looked pretty handy. I don’t know first-hand because I never used one but the reviews seem pretty solid.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Anyone have any experience with the Louisiana pellet smokers? Specifically the SL 700?

I was at Costco today and saw they had a few at $400 and figured it might not be a terrible way to figure out if I have the patience to smoke my own meat. I have no idea how capable it actually is, but I like the idea that you can slide back the drip tray for direct heat to seat meat. If this isn’t a complete piece of garbage, it could replace/supliment my 15 year old Weber spirit that needs new internals soon.

Costco also had a Traeger Silverton 620 for $700 that does include a cover. That is a little bit more than I can justify at impulse level price, unless it is that much better of a device.

The Louisiana grill looks to be pretty bare bones. So I would need to get a few things for it, like a cover (I don’t have covered storage for it), and some sort of wireless thermometer. Neither should set me back big. I figure I would probably use it once or twice a month while learning how to smoke, and hopefully it’s shortcomings shouldn’t be that big of a deal. If I really get into this, I will probably look to replace it with something better in a couple years once I figure out what I like and what I don’t.

TLDR - is a $400 pellet smoker with no frills a bad device to learn on? Is this particular grill a pile of junk?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Traeger is generally pretty solid, you could do much worse. They are a pretty well-known brand, so I want to point out that Traeger isn’t a lovely knockoff brand made just for Costco or whatever, their reputation is good and it should be easy to learn on a pellet smoker like that.

Be sure to check the price and features against other storefronts and models, respectively—and read reviews lest you hate it and blame me, a faceless goon on the Something Awful Forums

E: just realized the first pic is Louisiana and that’s what you were asking about. I’ve never heard of them but other smoking goons probably have.

E2: looks like they are fairly well-known and you could probably do worse than Louisiana. You can definitely do worse than Traeger. Again, always look up reviews and see what people are saying about a thing you wanna spend hundreds of dollars on.

life is killing me fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Jul 22, 2021

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

It’s kinda hard to find much info on either of this particular models of grill. I think they may only be available at Costco, so there are not many reviews out there. I did find a few reviews of the Traeger, and those were very positive. Basically boiled down to “you are losing 1-2 features from higher tier models, and saving hundreds”. All I can really find on that particular Louisiana is the Costco website reviews, and there is a misprint in the manual on shutting down the grill which gave people some issues. Oh, and it comes with a “weather resistant” cover.

I figured I would check to see if anyone here had any experience with the grill. Goons give generally good advice.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I've got that exact Traeger Silverton and absolutely love it. WiFire is really nice to have, can pick up your phone on an overnight smoke to check or change temps without leaving bed. It's got a good size hopper that can hold enough pellets for 18+ hours of 225 before needing to top off. It's not double walled, but it's thick and heavy enough it almost feels like it, holds temps really well. Also like that the drip pail is inside the cabinet and not exposed to the elements.

I'm sure the Louisiana would be ok, but I think the Traeger justifies the extra $$

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Costco's return policy is so good there's basically no risk other than inconvenience.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Speaking of the Costco Traeger, just tossed these beef plate short ribs on for my wife's birthday dinner.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Getting ready to do a big ol cook tomorrow. Got a 10 lb Butt and 3 spare rib plates and also some chicken wings and beyond meat stuff.

Since I only have a 22" kettle and a slow n sear I'm going to take some short cuts.

My plan:
0. Tonight trim and dry brine butt, ribs and wings. Ribs will be cut st louis style with tips reserved. Wings will be cut down to flats and drummies. Mix 1c yellow mustard, 1c vinegar, 1/4c brown sugar, 1/4c cane sugar, 1/4 spice mix and let come together in fridge
1. About 6am tomorrow start the kettle warming to ~225-250.
2. Coat brined butt with pepper and around 7 put on the butt with a bunch of applewood.
3. Pull butt after ~3 hrs smoke (i.e. at 10-10:30) and move to 250 fan oven to come to 170ish, wrap and monitor until 198 to 203 and probes like butter. Pull and let cool on counter for at least 30-45 minutes before unwrapping. This could be 4pm, this could be 8 pm. *Shrug* Serve with wonder bread and mustard sauce or sweet baby rays on the side.
4. Around 11am coat ribs and tips with Memphis dust and place vertically on rack in kettle after inspecting/refreshing coals and applewood
5. Around 12:30 - 1pm pull tips, and enjoy
6. Around 2pm pull ribs wrap with foil and move to 250 fan oven with butt.
7. Refresh grill coals, pull tray of drippings and then add memphis dusted wings at ~350ish for 1 hour rotating/turning after about 30 minutes. Contemplate defatting drippings and adding a few tbs juices to sauces?
8. Around 4 pull wings place into tray and cover with foil. Check ribs and if done pull, coat with sweet baby rays and return to oven uncovered 30 minutes or so.
9. Refresh coals, clean grill and cook beyond sausages and patties to order.
10. Around 6, or as items become available, serve whatever is ready with sides and sauces.

Phew. Let me know if you see any real issues here or a better method. Yes, probably not enough smoke on the butt.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 23, 2021

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I think pork butt is one of those things that should be on smoker the entire duration. 3 hours it will still be red on the outside while the bark is still developing. A good pork butt will have a black exterior and look like a meteor. Not sure it will darken in the oven.

I have not dry brined wings or ribs before. I just don't think there is enough meat there/cooks long enough for moisutre retention to be a big issue. Pork belly or butt or shoulder or large beef cuts sure.

You can absolutely do those things and still yield a good product, but the extra work doesn't seem worth it to me.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
You may be right about the dry brine on the wings and ribs. I've heard it comes out real nice but it could probably be skipped. That said, I need to prep them anyway and sprinkling with salt and refrigerating is not really any extra work.

Alternate plan #1. WFH today, skip dry brining the butt, just dalmation rub and put on smoke today around noon. Pull around 6-7 when at 170ish after 6 or 7 hours of smoke. Wrap in foil and finish in cool oven until 198-203 (10-11pm tonight?) Pull, leave wrapped in foil and place into warmed cooler overnight. Unwrap (to crisp up bark) and reheat to 140ish tomorrow in oven.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Dalmatian is more of a beef thing, no? Every pork rub I have seen uses lots of garlic, paprika, and brown sugar. You can certainly try it but I'd at least get a nice sugary BBQ sauce. I pretty much solely use Stubs Sticky Sweet for pork.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

um excuse me posted:

Dalmatian is more of a beef thing, no? Every pork rub I have seen uses lots of garlic, paprika, and brown sugar. You can certainly try it but I'd at least get a nice sugary BBQ sauce. I pretty much solely use Stubs Sticky Sweet for pork.

Yes, but. I want to be able to try both the mustard and the sweet styles with the pork so I am trying to keep it mostly neutral and let people play with it.

I'm waffling on the doing the ribs the same way and maybe just finishing them one mustard, one sweet and one without.

Also, butts on the smoker. Little hot at 250 but I'll tweak it as it goes.

edit: Thank god for bluetooth. I can sit at my desk and if I hold my phone near the window I can check the air temp in the kettle and the meat temp while I work.

edit:

After a bit over 8 hours the internal temp is 155 and I need to either add more coals or pull it wrap it and put it in the oven to push through to 200ish. I decided to pull it and wrap it since it's still going to be midnight by the time it's at temp.

Glad I did it this way since the bark looks so much better now than if I had pulled it at 3 hrs.

3hrs

5 hrs

8 hrs

Murgos fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 24, 2021

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Today has not been a good one so far.

Wasn’t able to find any St Louis ribs today, so I settled for baby back. Never made them before but will see how they come out.

Then my wife calls me and tells me her car needed to get towed. Sounds like the transmission. Can’t wait to see the price on this come Monday.
EDIT: the transmission is apparently under warranty still, so you can all end your vigil.

I’m not much of a day drinker, bit today seems like the day.

Bloodfart McCoy fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jul 24, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
Nothing wrong with baby backs - just don't cook them as long.

I'm on Team No Wrap when it comes to ribs, start checking around 3 - 4 hour mark for doneness via the bend test.