Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Barry Foster posted:

Yeah same

drat if only real life adults had the same level of maturity and communicative skills as the alien warrior guy and the funny robot man

True, I would hope that real life adults do less communication through randomly stabbing their friends in elevators though.
In short data communication style has it's pros and cons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

dr_rat posted:

True, I would hope that real life adults do less communication through randomly stabbing their friends in elevators though.
In short data communication style has it's pros and cons.

Even then he was saving her from a multiphasic alien organism.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CainFortea posted:

I stand by my mature adult don't out of nowhere just stab their friends in elevators.

Yes this is a hill I'm willing to die on.

by being randomly stabbed by data when he goes on the fritz again.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

dr_rat posted:

I stand by my mature adult don't out of nowhere just stab their friends in elevators.

Yes this is a hill I'm willing to die on.

by being randomly stabbed by data when he goes on the fritz again.

Data is a senior officer and if he wants to stab a space alien that's on you he doesn't have to explain himself

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Cage Kicker posted:

Data is a senior officer and if he wants to stab a space alien that's on you he doesn't have to explain himself

Do you want maquis? This is how you get maquis. :colbert:

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I distrust anyone who likes the Bajorans thank you very much

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Know what Bajor needs? Some red matter.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
You know why there are so many trees on Bajor? Because Cardassians prefer to march in the shade

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
are there a lot of trees on bajor, though? i thought it tended more toward arid environments.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

are there a lot of trees on bajor, though? i thought it tended more toward arid environments.

Bajor has the highest “Talked about : Actually Seen” ratio of all the Trek planets. But I guess it’s…nice? So maybe lots of trees in some places.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Cage Kicker posted:

You know why there are so many trees on Bajor? Because Cardassians prefer to march in the shade
they actually prefer to march in the sun. get your facts right.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

The monasteries have nice little garden paths and potentially-holographic fountains.

The villages have CGI cloud creatures that need an Irishman to tell them to go away.

The caves have fire in them for some reason.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'm Captain Shepard Picard and this is my favorite thread on the Citadel in Federation space

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Star Trek to introduce Section 31 Spinoff

Vatican to introduce Satanic Mass

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I recently caught the episode where Geordi gets citizen kane'd

It was his sled. It was his sled from when he was a little boy.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I will watch the section 31 show lmao.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i will not.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Imagine Bashir at the helm of a black ship. Section 31 works the same way

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I wonder how many times the phrase “Game Of Thrones” was uttered during the initial pitch meeting.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Hey Alex, everybody loved it in game of thrones when the hot brother and hot sister porked. Maybe we can work an incest plot line.

Alex scribbles so furiously that he snaps his pencil in half

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

CainFortea posted:

he was also sleepwalking at the time

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Bismack Billabongo posted:

Hey Alex, everybody loved it in game of thrones when the hot brother and hot sister porked. Maybe we can work an incest plot line.

Alex scribbles so furiously that he snaps his pencil in half

That wasn’t scribbling and it wasn’t a pencil.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Star Trek at the height of the Cold War:

"Humanity's better nature will prevail."

Star Trek today:

"Humanity will always be poo poo and we're doomed to an eternity of poo poo."

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Applewhite posted:

Star Trek to introduce Section 31 Spinoff

Vatican to introduce Satanic Mass

Taking inspiration from those Disney movies where they rehabilitate the villains.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Goblin Craft posted:

Taking inspiration from those Disney movies where they rehabilitate the villains.

Don't get me started on those.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Every so often the paranoid side of me wonders if all this anti hero bullshit is social engineering on the part of capitalists to dilute our optimism and ideals so we don't try to overthrow them.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Applewhite posted:

Every so often the paranoid side of me wonders if all this anti hero bullshit is social engineering on the part of capitalists to dilute our optimism and ideals so we don't try to overthrow them.

the sinister cabals of ultra-rich parasites who run the world don't actually know what the gently caress they are doing

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

the sinister cabals of ultra-rich parasites who run the world don't actually know what the gently caress they are doing

Maybe not on a conscious level.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

oh yeah for sure the schools and tv and movies and books and music that get popular and news media and lovely tabloids just tell you to worship them by mistake

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Applewhite posted:

This is exactly what is happening hahahahah aaaaaaa-

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

What a shame they never revisited this.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

just saw Far Beyond the Stars and holy moly that was a great episode. it's really too bad Avery Brooks left acting.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

punishedkissinger posted:

just saw Far Beyond the Stars and holy moly that was a great episode. it's really too bad Avery Brooks left acting.

I usually see people refer to him as a terrible actor but I think he's pretty good.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I usually see people refer to him as a terrible actor but I think he's pretty good.

some of his reads can have an odd cadence but i'd say he's very strong

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

edit: double post somehow?

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Have them watch American History X.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i'm reading that he comes across as a bit eccentric in interviews and at cons, some have said he is hard to work with as well. anyone have details on that?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

some of his reads can have an odd cadence but i'd say he's very strong

I doubt anyone would argue he's got a lot of range, but when he's cast well, he knocks it out of the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

i'm reading that he comes across as a bit eccentric in interviews and at cons, some have said he is hard to work with as well. anyone have details on that?

The only things I’ve ever really heard every now and then is that when he was on set he could be very serious in a “This is important and let’s do it right” kind of way. As for cons and interviews Brooks always came off as just not interested in Star Trek outside of Star Trek which makes him a bit of an anomaly and that invites speculation. Cirroc Lofton has always spoke very highly of Avery Brooks though - as a mentor, friend, and father figure - so I don’t think it’s any more than people talking about someone who didn’t act like they thought he would/should.