Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tiptoes posted:

It's not stupid at all. On a dynasty roster, you're going to want multiple guys with long term paths to viability cause you're not going to be able to get replacement level TE production from a rookie draft like you can RB/WR. If you have the roster space and you're not costing yourself swings at quality RB/WR prospects, hoarding young TE assets could really pay off over time even if only as trade chips to use in larger packages.

That being said, I would honestly have McKitty last of the names you listed and he's one of those rookie TEs you probably don't need at all. He has a great name and the highest draft capital but he's a blocking TE with a very 'meh' athletic profile.

Once you have rookies like Hunter Long and Jacob Harris on the same team, you can probably call it a day but Granson, the Chiefs' Noah Gray, or the Jets' Kenny Yeboah are all worth taking late swings at. And if you want a young TE attached to Justin Herbert who is basically free in a startup draft, you can stash Donald Parham Jr (a 6'8" giant with a significantly better receiving profile).
Thank you for all of this. There are not a lot of WR or RB prospects in this range that I am too interested in. I think I have one of the better RB groups in this league with Cook, Swift, and Jacobs; I also have Mattison to back up Cook and Jamaal and Jermar Jefferson to back up Swift, and Michael Carter who I think will be amazing in a Shanahan-style offense on the Jets. I already have a bunch of young WRs with Ja'Marr Chase, Chase Claypool, Terrace Marshall, Mecole Hardman, Russell Gage, and D'Wayne Eskridge. TE is my weakest group with Kmet and Firkser, though I do think Firkser might be legit (if the new TEN OC is any good). With this being a Premium TE league I was thinking I would stack up on prospects, especially since we have a Taxi Squad that you can even keep second year players on (as long as they stay, though; if they come off they cannot go back on). I was iffy on McKitty but I was looking at the Herbert connection, yeah; I've moved him down and added Parham to the list. I also added Yeboah to my list and may take him as my Jets TE - I have Zach Wilson (aka Wilzon) and since I missed out on any WR stacks with him I was thinking I would try to find a TE to put my hopes on.

Depending on how things fall I may take a swing at Anthony Schwartz, Cornell Powell, or Ihmir Smith-Marsette. I'm also debating picking up Gardner Minshew in case he ends up on the Saints, Steelers, or some other respectable team that needs a QB next year.

kiimo posted:

I think Noah Gray is going to play in KC just from what I have been hearing. The coaches are raving about his route running ability and the fact that they didn’t get Juju to be that big second receiver I think they are going to try to work in Noah Grey in a lot of situations. Remember that the Chiefs traded up to get him
Someone else in this league must have also heard that because he went a few rounds ago haha. I was hoping to pick him up and him going earlier than I expected (higher than his ADP by a bit) is why I went ahead and took Hunter Long.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Since it's TE premium, might as well load up on them, but don't expect almost any of those random rookie TEs to ever hit. And you will for sure be able to get replacement level vets off the wire, you just need to not turn up your nose at a guy like Logan Thomas, Jimmy Graham, Darren Fells, Jason Witten, etc etc. Every year there are multiple old random dudes that are seasonal TE1s and 2s.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

sourdough posted:

Since it's TE premium, might as well load up on them, but don't expect almost any of those random rookie TEs to ever hit. And you will for sure be able to get replacement level vets off the wire, you just need to not turn up your nose at a guy like Logan Thomas, Jimmy Graham, Darren Fells, Jason Witten, etc etc. Every year there are multiple old random dudes that are seasonal TE1s and 2s.
Oh yeah absolutely. I'm taking a bunch of them in the hopes that one pans out to be decent in case Kmet or Firkser are bad, get injured, or get sunk by bad team offense or QB play.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
You just have to cast a wide net at TE to find the values since TE development is much harder to predict. And for some of these rookies that do hit, this will be the cheapest you can acquire them.

The only one I am emotionally invested in is Jacob Harris.

Big man athleticism is the biggest factor for difference-making TEs and that kid is built like a Greek god. If Sean McVay and company can develop him at TE, he is a potential stud down the line. And based on the attention he was getting from coaches in OTAs/minicamp, I think they're already aware of what they might have in him. If he busts, I will be very sad.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Depending on how things fall I may take a swing at Anthony Schwartz, Cornell Powell, or Ihmir Smith-Marsette. I'm also debating picking up Gardner Minshew in case he ends up on the Saints, Steelers, or some other respectable team that needs a QB next year.
I like all of those targets except for Powell. As a late senior breakout, he's not in the same tier of prospect as Schwartz (elite traits) or ISM (great situation). And of course Minshew Mania will ride again. If the Broncos had gone after him instead of Teddy, they could be going to the playoffs this year. The Jags would be fools to not sell him for a mid round pick next offseason.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That’s real light for a TE. My only concern

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
It's because he's a large wide receiver, not a tight end.

Tiptoes
Apr 30, 2006

You are my underwater, underwater friends!
Yeah he'll need a year plus on a proper strength and conditioning plan to get his weight up to make the WR->TE transition but the analytics were in favor of his transition and if he's a hit as a receiving TE, his blocking only needs to be passable (eg Darren Waller) instead of elite like a George Kittle.

Jourdan Rodrigue of the The Athletic had a great in-depth article about him while he was impressing in minicamp:

https://theathletic.com/2648671/202...hell-be-molded/ posted:

In fact, it seems Harris has become a “special project” player for both tight ends coach Wes Phillips — with whom Harris is constantly in orbit receiving instruction — and head coach Sean McVay, who has taken extra time with the rookie during drills on more than one occasion. With veteran No. 1 tight end Tyler Higbee not practicing, McVay also placed Harris into the first-team reps in seven-on-sevens through the entirety of minicamp after building his workload in OTAs the two weeks prior. Seven-on-sevens are run at nearly full speed and built to test mental dexterity in a semi-live situation and stress the mind at a faster rate. To see a rookie not only jump over more veteran players on the roster for those reps — and then thrive in them — is rare air, even without the pads on yet.

“I think he’s just earned it,” said McVay of Harris’ increased role over a rapid period. “I think he’s a guy that has a tremendous amount of upside. Wes Phillips has done a really nice job of getting him up to speed. His natural range, catch radius, body control for a player of his size is pretty rare. I think you guys can see — for NFL guys to stand out the way that he has done, in some of these limited settings, in shorts and in helmets, he’s definitely made a positive impression.”

McVay added that he plans to align Harris in a variety of positions along the line of scrimmage, which means he’ll be in less of the “traditional” tight end role and more of a mismatch option specifically in the passing game.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Depending on how deep your bench is in dynasty I could see a flyer on him. Going to take a year with S&C to get the size on him and maybe another year or so to get him field ready.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

whelp, wish I had known all of that two days ago or I would have taken him instead of *checks notes* Jermar Jefferson - Harris went two picks before my next pick (I had a huge gap between picks because of trades). The guy that picked him has weak QBs and RBs so if I try to trade Cook away at any point maybe I'll target that guy and ask him to include Harris. I have Minshew as my 4th QB. I just picked Granson and will also be aiming to take Parham and Yeboah in a few rounds.

edit: I am also considering Dan Arnold coming up because he is fairly young, has gotten better every year, and was signed by the Panthers to be the starter because they want more involvement from the TE position and their starter last year was bad.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jul 19, 2021

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Take Cam Akers off your boards.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1417490888310370312

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Matt Stafford and not having a top RB. Name a more iconic duo, I'll wait.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Fire up the Hendersons?

Ayudo
Mar 30, 2006

Spermy Smurf posted:

Fire up the Hendersons?

https://twitter.com/BallBlastEm/status/1417504923944632326?s=19

Henderson may also have an injury.

It's Gurley time in LA (again).

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Ayudo posted:

That's Adrian Peterson's music.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I had two picks in this years lottery. I ended up with 1.03 and 1.05. I really wanted one of Harris or Chase. What do you think it would take to swap 1.03 with 1.02, or 1.01?

Edit: This is a ppr dynasty league.

RCarr fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 20, 2021

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ayudo posted:

https://twitter.com/BallBlastEm/status/1417504923944632326?s=19

Henderson may also have an injury.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RCarr posted:

I had two picks in this years lottery. I ended up with 1.03 and 1.05. I really wanted one of Harris or Chase. What do you think it would take to swap 1.03 with 1.02, or 1.01?

Edit: This is a ppr dynasty league.

Too idiosyncratic to the two owners of those picks in your league for anyone to know. Add an early 2nd on top, might be enough. But if they also see Harris and Chase as the clear cut top two, it might cost quite a bit more.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I mean it's kind of a big assumption that Chase and Harris will go 1/2 don't you think?

Well Chase yes but I could see someone using that pick on somebody other than Harris especially with Pittsburgh's line not being what it was.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I'd be kinda shocked if Harris and Chase don't go 1/2 in the majority of non SF leagues. Etienne isn't in a better situation and is not as good a prospect (for many), Smith and Waddle have question marks and not great situations, Pitts is a wildcard that might be most likely to get taken early but he's also a TE so lol. I guess I have seen somewhat egregious QB reaches occasionally even in 1 QB leagues.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well for dynasty I could see someone locking down Trevor Lawrence. Or falling in love with Javante Williams. Or galaxy braining Smith, Waddle or Moore.

And the hype for Kyle Pitts is insane with many people ranking him the #3 TE before taking a snap in the NFL

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In dynasty, team need can easily trump best-available-at-that-pick, yeah. Additional concerns can include salary cap, roster space, and homerism. Ideally you'd trade back rather than overdraft your guy, but like in my league half the owners have never made a single trade, so that's not a certain option either.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

And in my league trying to trade with someone is next to impossible since every player on their roster is worth a first round pick at the least

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

I mean the hype for Pitts goes along with a guy who was billed as the best non-QB in the last draft class.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah he's great my concerns are more with hyped tight ends never living up to the hype but that being said he has unreal tools so there's no reason that the past should be precedent.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I’d have no problem drafting Pitts and Lawrence normally, but in my salary cap dynasty league the 3rd pick is worth $17, and the 5th is worth $15. (Out of $250)

That’s more than I care to spend on either a TE or a QB.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

RCarr posted:

That’s more than I care to spend on either a TE or a QB.

Your league is modeled after ours so I get it. But a top TE is worth it. There are 3 good TEs and then a bunch of dart throws, if Pitts lights it up then he's absolutely worth the extra $10 salary to be leaps and bounds above the guys like Gronk and Tonyan.

A plug and play top4 TE that puts up consistently more points than the guys in the 5-15 range is worth it. Kelce and Waller were over 220pts in one of my leagues, then it cuts from 150 to 110 really quickly beyond that.

It's still a huge dart throw because he hasnt played a snap, but it's not unreasonable to take Pitts.

And if Lawrence is Mahomes 2.0 who puts up consistently more points than the QB you are against every single week... Same poo poo. The "too high" salary is worth eating for points.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea you make a good point. I do like Pitts and Lawrence more than the other guys in the 3-6 overall range. If I didn’t just trade Taylor for Kittle($4!), then I think I’d take Pitts immediately. I do desperately need a QB though (currently have Stafford and Tua), so I think if Lawrence is there at #5 I should probably just bite the bullet and grab him.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Just a heads up, I'm one of the guys that sold you on Mixon a few years back. I may not be good at Fantasy Football.

It's totally his year though.

:shrug:

I believed it at the time and did the same poo poo myself in one league.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Eh I believed it too and still do. I don’t blame you for that. He’s just constantly underproduced and been plagued with injuries.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

I'm feeling crazy being down on Harris in dynasty but man he's a 23yo rookie bama back with the steelers that just doesn't seem like redraft let alone dynasty success.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Spermy Smurf posted:

Your league is modeled after ours so I get it. But a top TE is worth it. There are 3 good TEs and then a bunch of dart throws, if Pitts lights it up then he's absolutely worth the extra $10 salary to be leaps and bounds above the guys like Gronk and Tonyan.

A plug and play top4 TE that puts up consistently more points than the guys in the 5-15 range is worth it. Kelce and Waller were over 220pts in one of my leagues, then it cuts from 150 to 110 really quickly beyond that.

It's still a huge dart throw because he hasnt played a snap, but it's not unreasonable to take Pitts.

And if Lawrence is Mahomes 2.0 who puts up consistently more points than the QB you are against every single week... Same poo poo. The "too high" salary is worth eating for points.

That's all fine, but you can just as easily say Chase is going to be AJ Green 2.0 and Harris is going to be Leveon Bell 2.0 or whatever. I think your point with TE points leveling off after the first few actually undercuts your argument a bit, to be honest.

No one had Kittle or Waller as difference makers when drafting. On the other hand, OJ Howard, Njoku, and Engram were all drafted as top 10 TEs before they'd played a snap, as were Hockenson and Fant. For all the hype, Pitts is more likely to be a consistent mid range TE1 than he is a superstar like Kelce, ya know? Like, if his career plays out as Hockenson's has so far, he'd be way ahead of the development curve for typical TEs, and also way less valuable than Harris or Chase is likely to be over the next few years.

Apparently PFR player season finder is behind a paywall now, which sucks and so not much detail here, but there's been only 13 rookie TEs to exceed 500 yards since 2000, and just 3 to exceed 600 yards. Pitts certainly has a chance to do that with Julio gone, but those are the kind of odds you're facing if you draft him and expect mid range TE1 play right away, let alone thinking you're getting a plug and play Kelce or Kittle.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I pick fourth in my dynasty league and need another QB to pair with Mahomes. I'm pleading with the stars that either Wilson or Fields fall to me.

gently caress Trey and Macorkle somebody else can hope against hope for those guys.

Like if Mac falls to me I'm taking Chase and just figure out QB later.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

sourdough posted:

No one had Kittle or Waller as difference makers when drafting. On the other hand, OJ Howard, Njoku, and Engram were all drafted as top 10 TEs before they'd played a snap, as were Hockenson and Fant.

It's dynasty though. If you need a TE to win now then it's not the worst idea in the world is what I was saying.

I would never do it personally, but there is an analytics group that plays FF that would argue it much better for it than I do.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

Just don't overthink it and take the guy you think is gonna be the best player. I'm taking Pitts top three in standard dynasty leagues and top five in Superflex and not looking back. He feels like a relatively safe pick with a high floor or high ceiling.

kiimo posted:

I pick fourth in my dynasty league and need another QB to pair with Mahomes. I'm pleading with the stars that either Wilson or Fields fall to me.

gently caress Trey and Macorkle somebody else can hope against hope for those guys.

Like if Mac falls to me I'm taking Chase and just figure out QB later.

Fourth ain't a bad spot to be in at all in a SF league this year. I'd be pretty damned happy with Chase, Lawrence, Fields, Pitts or Harris. I'm kind of bummed out I don't have a first this year in my dynasty league.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I irrationally think Fields is gonna kill it in an Andy Reid offense. But admittedly a lot of that is hope because I spend so much time in Chicago.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

kiimo posted:

I irrationally think Fields is gonna kill it in an Andy Reid offense. But admittedly a lot of that is hope because I spend so much time in Chicago.
Isnt Nagy the problem there? He cant stop calling every game like is the fourth quarter of a playoff game when down by two touchdowns? Or has the QB play been so bad it just makes him look bad?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

We don't seem to have any Bears fans on here but the amount of time wide open skill position players were completely ignored by the QB was astounding in the last three years.

It's amazing how having a good QB just suddenly makes a play caller so much better. That includes Andy Reid himself

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

EDIT:^^^^^^^ THIS!

kiimo posted:

As a Bears fan, I have never felt this excited about a quarterback. Not for Cutler. Not for Trubisky. Fields is going to be amazing until he suffers a career-ending injury because the Bears aren't allowed to have nice quarterbacks

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Isnt Nagy the problem there? He cant stop calling every game like is the fourth quarter of a playoff game when down by two touchdowns? Or has the QB play been so bad it just makes him look bad?

Nagy is not the problem. One of the big debates in Chicago this offseason was how to get rid of Ryan Pace while still keeping Nagy. Nagy is amazing at scheming guys open.

If you look at some of the advanced numbers on Mooney, he should've been a top fifteen receiver. He made so many elite cornerbacks look silly, only to have Trubisky/Foles miss him.

Plus, their interior offensive line was very injured in the middle of the season. It isn't a coincidence that Montgomery had the second half he had right when they got healthy.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t

Spermy Smurf posted:

Just a heads up, I'm one of the guys that sold you on Mixon a few years back. I may not be good at Fantasy Football.

It's totally his year though.

:shrug:

I believed it at the time and did the same poo poo myself in one league.

The next year Mixon lives up to his preseason hype will be the first. Who doesn't want to spend a second round pick on a guy who will bounce off the D-line two times in a row starting on 1st and 1 to then watch some other RB come in and easily walk in for the TD on 3rd down 8 times a year. He has Trent Richardson vision and the only reason people have not noticed is because they incorrectly blame the terrible team around him.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Pain of Mind posted:

The next year Mixon lives up to his preseason hype will be the first. Who doesn't want to spend a second round pick on a guy who will bounce off the D-line two times in a row starting on 1st and 1 to then watch some other RB come in and easily walk in for the TD on 3rd down 8 times a year.

I legitimately believe this is the year he is finally good because this is the first year I wont draft him.