Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
holy poo poo those videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

goddamn imagine being trapped in a subway car up to your neck in whats probably raw sewage

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

drat, that looks terrifying :(

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Christ

Those Chinese

I’ve Never seen a subway so clean before

TheBuilder
Jul 11, 2001
Those people died

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I didn't realize gender reveal parties were now a thing in China.

Lower fatality rate than the traditional Chinese gender reveal tbh

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Preechr posted:

ayyyyyy

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

McGavin posted:

The OSHA thread has been coming through with some good China content today.

I've never thought of myself as Claustrophobic, but that's setting off some primal 'get the gently caress out of here' instinct.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Preechr posted:

:piss:

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Jesus Christ that video of the subway 3/4 full of water is loving horrifying.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3CueKSU7X8

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Do the subways there have an electrified middle rail or is it all cables above? I mean obviously power's been cut - I'm assuming that happens automatically?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Even more from the OSHA thread:

Bugsy posted:

Also in China. Music is kind of loud so sound inst necessary.

https://twitter.com/Mo_Heidarzadeh/status/1417111834579066890

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Do the subways there have an electrified middle rail or is it all cables above? I mean obviously power's been cut - I'm assuming that happens automatically?

Hopefully, they should? This is China, so who knows. Even if the water they're standing in is electrified, they're still in greater risk of drowning because they have the same voltage as the water they're in. It becomes dangerous when they encounter something with a very different voltage that can complete a circuit.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Hopefully, they should? This is China, so who knows. Even if the water they're standing in is electrified, they're still in greater risk of drowning because they have the same voltage as the water they're in. It becomes dangerous when they encounter something with a very different voltage that can complete a circuit.

I just realised I don't understand electricity.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
kinda hard to talk about the hydraulic pressure analogy of voltage when theres real hydraulic pressure to also talk about lol

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Tree Bucket posted:

I just realised I don't understand electricity.

a bird can stand with both feet on a bare high voltage power line and nothing will happen, because the current takes the path of least resistance, the wire (the water in the train). but if the bird puts one foot on the wire and another on say a copper pole going directly to the ground (0V), the bird will fry because it has now become a conductor in the circuit. the people on the train standing in electrified water are fine unless they grab something conductive at a different potential, typically to ground like a pipe or something

d0s fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 21, 2021

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

TheBuilder posted:

Those people died

They were rescued, though 12 people on line 5 died.

I got a wild picture of the sinkhole that opened in front of my apartment, but the internet is beyond spotty now.

poo poo sucks

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

d0s posted:

a bird can stand with both feet on a bare high voltage power line and nothing will happen, because the current takes the path of least resistance, the wire (the water in the train). but if the bird puts one foot on the wire and another on say a copper pole going directly to the ground (0V), the bird will fry because it has now become a conductor in the circuit. the people on the train standing in electrified water are fine unless they grab something conductive at a different potential, typically to ground like a pipe or something

Wouldn't the whole system have shorted out and lost power the moment it became slightly submerged? We joke about construction with Chinese characteristics, but I'm pretty sure they still use fuses. My concern is that the water level could easily rise a couple feet, or the train could roll down a slight incline, and all of those people would helplessly drown. At least open the emergency exits so you have some options if poo poo goes from bad to worse.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Devils Affricate posted:

Wouldn't the whole system have shorted out and lost power the moment it became slightly submerged? We joke about construction with Chinese characteristics, but I'm pretty sure they still use fuses. My concern is that the water level could easily rise a couple feet, or the train could roll down a slight incline, and all of those people would helplessly drown. At least open the emergency exits so you have some options if poo poo goes from bad to worse.

yes, I was only describing what would happen if the water was electrified for some reason

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

d0s posted:

yes, I was only describing what would happen if the water was electrified for some reason

Please don’t give Elon Musk any more business ideas

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Preechr posted:

ok I lol’d

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

d0s posted:

Keep in mind that the difference in conductivity matters.
(Wire) : (Bird) is very different to (Water) : (Person), and can lead to unfortunate results.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Preechr posted:

This was an excellent joke and I missed it the first time because I wasn't smart enough. Thanks for the lol notice, Autismo

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

McGavin posted:

The OSHA thread has been coming through with some good China content today.

Well, that seems like a dangerous and potentially tragic situation.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Atopian posted:

Keep in mind that the difference in conductivity matters.
(Wire) : (Bird) is very different to (Water) : (Person), and can lead to unfortunate results.

yeah but you still need to complete a circuit, even if the body was a perfect conductor you are just at the same potential as the water you're in and no current is flowing through you until you ground yourself. granted that is way way easier to do in water/when wet than when dealing with solid objects

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

BrainDance posted:

They were rescued, though 12 people on line 5 died.

I got a wild picture of the sinkhole that opened in front of my apartment, but the internet is beyond spotty now.

poo poo sucks

Rescued by God to heaven.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Devils Affricate posted:

This was an excellent joke and I missed it the first time because I wasn't smart enough. Thanks for the lol notice, Autismo

I read it, but just got it :stonklol:

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

therobit posted:

Well, that seems like a dangerous and potentially tragic situation.

it's a really terrible thing. they're a normally pretty dry area and got roughly their entire annual rainfall over the course of 3 days, so no amount of infrastructure would've really saved them.

as climate change continues this sorta thing will just be more and more widespread which is real depressing!

Shanghai and Zhejiang are scheduled to get a typhoon this weekend into early next week, and while typhoons are totally normal this time of year for this region, the local municipal gov has been doing overtime releasing info of how they're preparing for it and will close roads/subways/etc before anything happens which I have never seen before.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Climate change is a motherfucker. I have no sense of what is being done in China with respect to climate policy right now. I know a few year ago there was the argument that western powers industrialized with cheap oil and coal and it’s hypocritical to ask developing nations to cut carbon emissions now. Which is a fair point but we are all still getting hosed by climate change, China included. Has the rhetoric changed since then and are substantive steps being taken? I am honestly curious because I’m not tuned into The Chinese government’s climate policy.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ailumao posted:

it's a really terrible thing. they're a normally pretty dry area and got roughly their entire annual rainfall over the course of 3 days, so no amount of infrastructure would've really saved them.

as climate change continues this sorta thing will just be more and more widespread which is real depressing!

Shanghai and Zhejiang are scheduled to get a typhoon this weekend into early next week, and while typhoons are totally normal this time of year for this region, the local municipal gov has been doing overtime releasing info of how they're preparing for it and will close roads/subways/etc before anything happens which I have never seen before.

That typhoon was supposed to hit Taiwan first, but the forecast now appears to be looking at Taiwan, saying "nope" and then going north. Still get a hell of alot of rainfall.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I read it, but just got it :stonklol:

Same.

drat.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Devils Affricate posted:

there's a lot of bad poo poo going on with the floods, so this joke was a nice change of pace and it was pretty subtlety placed in the middle of a gbs thread. it was well done :tipshat:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

therobit posted:

Climate change is a motherfucker. I have no sense of what is being done in China with respect to climate policy right now. I know a few year ago there was the argument that western powers industrialized with cheap oil and coal and it’s hypocritical to ask developing nations to cut carbon emissions now. Which is a fair point but we are all still getting hosed by climate change, China included. Has the rhetoric changed since then and are substantive steps being taken? I am honestly curious because I’m not tuned into The Chinese government’s climate policy.

r u sure that china's incredibly lovely infrastructure is not the problem, and it is really climate change? lol

beijing and Tianjin used to flood every year in July since like 2009 when I was there. at some point blaming "climate change" is just kind of sad, right? like...wow, a decade later and it is still flooding?! incredible! if only we could stop climate change! let's funnel some more money to our own pockets and make sure everyone knows nefarious climate change is the issue as we continue to not fix the infrastructure.

climate change is an issue and people need to adapt to it. obviously. not adapting to it is not an issue of "climate change". it's an issue of incompetency at the country and local levels.
[tangentially related]
*THE LOCAL CHINESE GOVERNMENT HAS ENTERED THE CHAT*
[user The Great Autismo was arrested from the chat]

God help me when QCS and C-SPAM see this, they will lose their loving minds

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jul 22, 2021

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
China is probably (even) more vulnerable to climate change than many nations, especially western nations, due to its geography and food and water insecurity. Desertification has been an ongoing problem in a country that already has a very low amount of arable land per capita, and the rise in income has changed diets, increasing the consumption of meat, dairy, and other resource-intensive foods. I don’t know of any country that has a truly resilient food infrastructure to climate change but China’s is already under a great deal of stress and any shocks will be difficult to adapt to.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
also going outside in shenzhen for a very material portion of the year is hell on earth

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
They've also had like 3 dams collapse in the last few days instead of cresting so it's both a weather and a poor infrastructure problem.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"random earth dam collapses" is also a different statement from "one of the largest dams on earth collapses", tbh

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Preechr posted:

:kstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

This is what happened right in front of my apartment, but I guess this is happening all over town now especially in my district.

Rain has mostly stopped and most places arent flooding now, its just tons of poo poo collapsing we gotta deal with.