Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Hilarious, i won 4 turns before the ship would arrive diplomatically. Yes, my war mongering and nuking Greece with all my thermonuclear weapons to see what they actually did, i got the victory that was all about piece of love and harmony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Ragnar34 posted:

Hundreds of game hours and I just noticed you can't work Nazca lines. All this time I thought they turned a city into alt-Petra, but it's really just poverty petra for the occasional desert triangle in an otherwise normal city.

Sure wish I hadn't built two cities in the middle of two deserts. I need to figure out the ideal Nazca pattern in, say, a 10 pop city. You need 10 tiles to work, and you want to surround each of those tiles with Lines. I guess you just start there, and try to surround every hill.

Dammit, I wanted to work Nazca lines. They should let you build national parks on them or something.

Really? I guess I've only picked it up a few times but it explains why my Nubia game where I covered everything in nazca lines went to poorly.

I wonder what the reasoning is behind that.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
People have been finding some interesting fixes for the game, I'm about to try one fix that is supposed to make the AI better at improving luxuries, and another that makes the AI a bit less science-focused. This should make the barbarian development a bit less insane too (which, ironically, helps the AI as they get rekked). Lets hope that doesn't break something else in the game!

Edit: quick experiment, I can't even start the game after subscribing to the ai luxury fix and detailed map tacks. Back to square one!!

Marmaduke! fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 15, 2021

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Man, the game is significantly harder with no added modes on. I was finding heroes and legends and secret societies to be too much of a difficulty decreaser and I turned them off and I straight up lost a game which I haven't done in forever then the next two I had to restart.

Vanilla deity is definitely tougher!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Are there any must have workshop items? I saw quick deals mentioned but I'm sure there are others that I don't know about. Most of the ones I have are cosmetic, like better district icons, real great people (Lol elon musk and GRRM being ones) , or stuff that make things a bit easier like starting scout and building, better farms and so.

Oh and map packs and scripts gotta have those, even though perfect world and gaia scripts always plop me in the middle of tundra, once on a tundra covered single square island.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

twistedmentat posted:

Are there any must have workshop items? I saw quick deals mentioned but I'm sure there are others that I don't know about. Most of the ones I have are cosmetic, like better district icons, real great people (Lol elon musk and GRRM being ones) , or stuff that make things a bit easier like starting scout and building, better farms and so.

Oh and map packs and scripts gotta have those, even though perfect world and gaia scripts always plop me in the middle of tundra, once on a tundra covered single square island.

CQUI used to be very helpful, but I haven't played in a while so I don't know if it's still updated or anything

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I notice theres a foreign diplomacy banner under the icons in the top right corner in a lot of peoples screenshots that show the other players gold, tech, etc etc.

How do you enable that?

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

Hizawk posted:

I notice theres a foreign diplomacy banner under the icons in the top right corner in a lot of peoples screenshots that show the other players gold, tech, etc etc.

How do you enable that?

interface options -> show yields in HUD ribbon -> always show

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Any leaders you guys find the most fun? Trying to pick someone to play besides China for once.

On that note, any you refuse to play? Either for being poo poo or finding their face/voice annoying or whatever?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

LiterallyATomato posted:

Any leaders you guys find the most fun? Trying to pick someone to play besides China for once.

On that note, any you refuse to play? Either for being poo poo or finding their face/voice annoying or whatever?

I don't play Georgia cuz they are poo poo. Some of my favorite Civs to play as are:

Portugal, because I love playing with Trade Routes (and they are kind of busted).

Zulu, because I love conquering cities and getting free armies out of it.

Khmer, because I love having huge cities and culture games.

Germany, because I like planning out Hanza diamonds.

(for context I pretty much only play on deity at this point)

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jul 21, 2021

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Byzatium are good fun to create a load of cav and convert the world as you conquer. Kupe for the weird possibilities that can develop from starting in the ocean...

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Norway is fun. Just spending the early eras raiding and pillaging coasts for funsies

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
My fave is probably Georgia. They get rockin' music and their unique ability lets you basically get double envoys if you can get a religion off the ground, letting you lock down all the city states that give cool improvements.

Also a fan of either Eleanor, for the ability to conquer an entire continent without ever raising a sword, Norway for making war so profitable that even I want to start poo poo with my neighbors, and the Inca, for drawing absolutely ludicrous tile yields out of mountainous terrain, which, as we all know, is the coolest terrain.

I almost pathologically refuse to play as any modern superpowers. Unless they get something really cool, like Eleanor or the Chinese Great Wall improvement, and for some reason I've always been cool with Russia, but I've never played a game as America/Germany/Japan/etc.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I get the most wins out of Pachacuti, assuming I get a half-decent start. Working mountains is great, but you also get a ton of natural defense out of them. Lautoro might be the biggest surprise to me for how fun they ended up being.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
My favorites:

Kupe: build coastal cities with hella fishing boats, bigass cities yay
Mansa Musa: get desert holy site adjacency, work ethic, put a suguba next to it, be rich as hell
Pachacuti: huge terrace farm bonuses, bigass cities, unfortunately requires a lot of resetting because he does nothing without hills adjacent to mountains and he flat-out doesn't work on some map types
Qin Shi Huang: builder charges and larger inspirations/eurekas is just generically good, and rushing an early wonder can help snowball
Trajan: free monuments and roads is a nice bonus that you don't have to think about or plan around

Leaders I never ever play:

Peter: too broken
Lautaro: 100% of his abilities require conquering, I don't like focusing on that most of the time and if I am going to go for a domination victory I'd rather be someone else
Hammurabi: too broken and too focused on conquering if you have a little knowledge about the tech tree (you can get e.g. machine guns really, really early)
Wilfrid Laurier: if you play him, sooner or later you'll find a body of water called "The Great Slave Lake"

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I always play on Deity. Greece has the best music by far, with honourable mentions to Australia, Maori, and the Zulus. I play Canada when I want to guarantee I win.

DontMockMySmock posted:

Wilfrid Laurier: if you play him, sooner or later you'll find a body of water called "The Great Slave Lake"

The Slave nation is an old name for the Dene nation, this is a real lake in Canada.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Chamale posted:

The Slave nation is an old name for the Dene nation, this is a real lake in Canada.

Yeah, it’s fairly well known too because it’s the deepest in North America.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Really? I guess I've only picked it up a few times but it explains why my Nubia game where I covered everything in nazca lines went to poorly.

I wonder what the reasoning is behind that.

Maybe it's got too much overlap with Petra otherwise. Two different ways to turn a giant desert into a lucrative city is, I guess, too much. Plus it'd be one of the best city-states in the game, which could get a little weird in multiplayer and monotonous in single, not that I'd mind.

It might also be because working a Nazca Line doesn't actually make sense in real life. You're supposed to NOT disturb them. This makes less sense than the other one, but I could see it.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Hungary is fun to play either as domination or culture. I really like their music, too.

Gaul is fun for a scientific victory.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
In terms of music I really like the Mongol music, but in terms of fun to play it's hard to say

if you just want something broken then just uhh anyone in heroes and legends mode

I actually found Hammurabi very fun just to try and sonic the hedgehog my way through the tech tree and win in 1400 or some poo poo

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Stefan Prodan posted:

In terms of music I really like the Mongol music, but in terms of fun to play it's hard to say

if you just want something broken then just uhh anyone in heroes and legends mode

I actually found Hammurabi very fun just to try and sonic the hedgehog my way through the tech tree and win in 1400 or some poo poo

Babylon is a completely different style of play, the AI can't handle you in the early game at all. You can have crossbows in the ancient era and machine guns in the medieval era. Although there's an annoying bug with Siege Tactics being triggered with Trebuchets and not Bombards,and Replaceable Parts needing Line Infantry and not Musketmen.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
Pretty sure that's not a bug, they just forgot to change the text when they changed the eurekas.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Chamale posted:

Of course! If it wasn't a real lake, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I was mostly joking, though - it's a minor thing, compared to the many other more problematic things in Civ. But for some reason that one sticks in my mind.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

That reminds me of this recent article about Laurier's dialogue in Civ VI. If he rolls the Zealot trait, he can get the line "I still worry that there are some souls who do not want to be saved." Canada is grappling with the genocide of Indigenous people here, which Laurier participated in. Now that residential schools are finally being searched for bodies, the remains of over 1,500 children have been found in unmarked graves, and thousands more are expected to found. Firaxis doesn't want to include genocidal leaders like Hitler in the game, but the vast majority of Canada's prime ministers were at least complicit in genocide.

It would be good for the Civ series to work on better representation of Indigenous people - I do think the series is taking steps in the right direction. The Barbarian Clans mode, for instance, is good because it removes the gameplay concept that some groups of people can't be left alone and it's best to eliminate them. It would be great to see more nations that aren't focused on always expanding - the Maori in VI are great because of the rewards for not destroying nature.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Chamale posted:

the Maori in VI are great because of the rewards for not destroying nature.

otoh the maori hunted the moa to extinction... humans and unimproved tiles don't really get along irl

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Chamale posted:

Firaxis doesn't want to include genocidal leaders like Hitler in the game

I mean, are you sure about that cause I feel like tons of leaders in the game are objectively guilty of genocide, although maybe not as recently as others

like you can play as genghis khan makin a cute face at you

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Stefan Prodan posted:

I mean, are you sure about that cause I feel like tons of leaders in the game are objectively guilty of genocide, although maybe not as recently as others

I think the logic of "there are people still alive who were victims of that leader's genocide so it's a bad luck" is justifiable, though on the other hand Civ 4 put both Mao Zedong and Stalin in that game so uh, I guess Asian genocide doesn't count? :confused:

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Stefan Prodan posted:

This. I don't think there's a standard by which they exclude leaders, other than "Will this cause a large enough group of people to boycott and criticize us that it will affect sales and also cause us to spend additional dev resources removing art assets/resources that we already spent tons of money to complete to replace them with something more palatable?".

Hitler would obviously cause that (especially in the current climate)... but this isn't really a standard and instead it's just risk avoidance. If tomorrow Laurier causes people to protest in the streets then since the game has long been out they just will make sure not to include them in the next game. Otherwise though they're going to go with whatever person they think would be interesting.

Chamale posted:

It would be good for the Civ series to work on better representation of Indigenous people - I do think the series is taking steps in the right direction. The Barbarian Clans mode, for instance, is good because it removes the gameplay concept that some groups of people can't be left alone and it's best to eliminate them. It would be great to see more nations that aren't focused on always expanding - the Maori in VI are great because of the rewards for not destroying nature.
Hasn't the Civ Series been including more and more Indigenous peoples throughout each edition? If you go down the list Aztec has been in since 1, Then Sioux was introduced in 2, Mayan, Incan, and Iroquois in 3, for some reason the tribes in the United States were consolidated to Native America in 4 (rushed expansion pack?), Shoshone were introduced in 5, and 6 introduced the Cree, Mapuche, and Maori (if we're include Maori in that group?). For most of the series it seems like they've been expanding the representation of people that we refer to as indigenous for most of the series; and really in general they've been adding all sorts of nations.

To me it always seems like the series usually wants to add new nations based on the idea that they want something fresh for the series, especially if the nations history somehow ties to whatever mechanic they're developing.

Also to your other point yeah that new Barbarian Clan mechanic slaps :thumbsup:

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
New interaction I learned:

If it's somehow still available when you get spies, if you build Terracotta Army it also levels up all your spies!

Also for anyone who doesn't know, Victor's free level up on unit creation applies to spies too

This is very strong! Mostly because a lot of times, you get say a level up and then if you get one of the good ones like fabricate scandal or the steal tech one, you have effectively 3 levels in that skill and can go straight to doing it instead of gaining sources

As another random tip for anyone who isn't doing it, fabricating scandals is probably the best use of spies in the game towards the end and is a major way of catching up

You may have looked at it at low level and gone "50% chance to make them lose 3 envoys? that sucks!" but if you look again when you have some levels it can get real absurd, like 90% chance to remove 7 envoys and potentially, being able to do that to become suzerain of every city state for only 6 envoys each (or sometimes less) plus Kilwa which you can nab fairly reliably is super super strong

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 24, 2021

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Super Jay Mann posted:

I think the logic of "there are people still alive who were victims of that leader's genocide so it's a bad luck" is justifiable, though on the other hand Civ 4 put both Mao Zedong and Stalin in that game so uh, I guess Asian genocide doesn't count? :confused:

I feel like they started actually caring between 4 and 5. Like, Mao and Stalin haven't been seen since, nor has civs like "Native America" and "Vikings," but my favorite little touch is that they replaced Montezuma II with Montezuma I.

Though there have still been some odd choices, like Maria I of Portugal and the curmudgeon trait and whatnot since.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I feel like they started actually caring between 4 and 5. Like, Mao and Stalin haven't been seen since, nor has civs like "Native America" and "Vikings," but my favorite little touch is that they replaced Montezuma II with Montezuma I.

Though there have still been some odd choices, like Maria I of Portugal and the curmudgeon trait and whatnot since.

I mean that can also be because there is only one leader per civ

Like do you really think Churchill is never coming back despite India and the Irish

Or FDR and his concentration camps

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

you mean, uh, at a time?

because there are three civs with multiple leaders (England, France, and Greece)

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

homullus posted:

you mean, uh, at a time?

because there are three civs with multiple leaders (England, France, and Greece)

India, China, Mongolia, USA

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

India, China, Mongolia, USA

Ah, right. But Teddy Roosevelt is the same dude even if he wears a hat sometimes.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
For one, why add Hitler to your game because it is instant bad publicity. And second, it makes your game unsellable in Germany. Third, probably not a great idea to brainstorm the special things that the Furher of the Third Reich was good at.

I get it, others bad too. But be real here

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Glass of Milk posted:

Third, probably not a great idea to brainstorm the special things that the Furher of the Third Reich was good at.

when a world project is completed gain grievances against other players who received contribution awards

Doom breed
Mar 22, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

Yea its there, i never turn off any victory other than the religious because i never bother and by doing that i find the AI is less likely to flood your empire with religious units.

I can't have not met all the civs because i am 4 turns from a space race victory and have completely uncovered the map. Is it because I conquered 3 civs? The Indians had aluminum i needed, the mongols pissed me off by building cities next to my capital in the first age and the English where trapped on a tiny island and they would be much happier as part of the Portuguese empire.

I don't think I saw this question answered, but yes - cultural victories become more difficult the more civs have been eliminated. It's been a while but I know PotatoMcWhiskey has explained it in videos before. Something like the tourism victory threshold being based on the original number of civs in the game, but (obviously) you can only gain tourism against civs that haven't been wiped out.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

CharlestheHammer posted:

Like do you really think Churchill is never coming back despite India and the Irish

Or FDR and his concentration camps

I like to think so, yes.

Like, there has not to my knowledge been a public statement from Firaxis that certain leaders were modern-era monsters and it was a mistake to ever include them, and maybe we'll see all of them as options in Civ 7, but it's a nice thought that we won't.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

homullus posted:

you mean, uh, at a time?

I meant five where the change was supposed to happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Stefan Prodan posted:

New interaction I learned:

If it's somehow still available when you get spies, if you build Terracotta Army it also levels up all your spies!

Also for anyone who doesn't know, Victor's free level up on unit creation applies to spies too

This is very strong! Mostly because a lot of times, you get say a level up and then if you get one of the good ones like fabricate scandal or the steal tech one, you have effectively 3 levels in that skill and can go straight to doing it instead of gaining sources

As another random tip for anyone who isn't doing it, fabricating scandals is probably the best use of spies in the game towards the end and is a major way of catching up

You may have looked at it at low level and gone "50% chance to make them lose 3 envoys? that sucks!" but if you look again when you have some levels it can get real absurd, like 90% chance to remove 7 envoys and potentially, being able to do that to become suzerain of every city state for only 6 envoys each (or sometimes less) plus Kilwa which you can nab fairly reliably is super super strong

That's pretty neat. On that note, since I'm new to civ VI: is 90% for missions the highest percent change of success (beside Gain Sources/Listening Post)? and, seperate from the promotion traits themselves, does "Spy Level" only control chance of success? No effect on mission speed?