Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I don't know much at all about amps, I've done almost all my playing through plug-ins or a Katana. Tube amps seem so incredibly expensive. Is there like a common model of tube amp(I don't play live or with bands so it doesn't need to be super big or anything) I could look for used that are more affordable? I play metal mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I don't know much at all about amps, I've done almost all my playing through plug-ins or a Katana. Tube amps seem so incredibly expensive. Is there like a common model of tube amp(I don't play live or with bands so it doesn't need to be super big or anything) I could look for used that are more affordable? I play metal mostly.

Do you have a general budget range?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Peavy 6505 it's the evolution of the 5150 series of amps. It can be had in a combo or head do like me and others and cut the combo down to a head if you want a separate head/ cab set up.

The combo works perfectly fine just the speaker in mine was blown and I already had another cabinet to use.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
They also make a mini-6505 that's cheaper (probably, I don't know what the used market is like for them) and more suitable to bedroom playing.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

The Orange Micro Dark has a tube preamp and an effects loop. That poo poo sounds great.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
The Dark Terror is basically the same thing with a tube power section and 7/15w options, and likewise sounds loving amazing at all of the things a 6505 does, and as an added bonus actually sounds wonderful at lower gain levels (especially with a reverb pedal in the loop), which I've never really felt can be said about the 5150 series. It's also a much quieter amp in terms of hiss and noise. It does only have the one channel, and it doesn't have any clean headroom really, so in terms of variety of gain levels, you're going to be limited to what you can achieve by rolling off the volume on your guitar/using a boost pedal. Still, I have that, and a Katana, and I don't really want for anything else.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
I don't know about the newer smaller 6505 combos, but my old 5150 combo is not playable at any sort of reasonable volume. Also not very portable, a 2x12 tube combo amp is heavy as poo poo. Would take a head/cab setup over a 2x12 combo any day. Sounds great when cranked though.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

The dark terror is so good apart from the no clean channel thing. The lack of headroom means its actually attainable to get power amp distortion at non-stadium levels.

Same with other small lunchbox amps. Orange OR15 is also great. The Marshall Origin is a tiny plexi, although that goes the whole hog in absolutely not permitting you get any grit until the master is above 12, but when it reaches it its glorious.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 20, 2021

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Hiwatt Hi5 is a 5Watt amp with amazing tone that is reasonable at low volumes, put a treble booster in front of it and it just sings. I use it in my apartment and have had no comaints from the neighbors, and it also can get loud af when I need it to.

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi
I have a EVH 5150 III LBX (the lunchbox duder), its an excellent "crunch" amp (I am poo poo at it but love playing stuff like power trip etc). I think I got mine off reverb for $350 or so. Granted its just a head unit and I already had a 2x10 cab, so factor that in.

If you're just playing at home and don't need a cab, I'd spend the money on a cab sim that has a headphone jack. I've used a cabzeus, two notes captor, and a universal audio ox. Out of those the ox has been my favorite by far. I can't play loud 99% of the time so the ox has been a saving grace.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Well I have a Boss Katana and boy let me tell you hwhat.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I'm still waiting on a dual latching foot switch to show up for mine. My FS-6 is broken, on account of boss including a ridiculous amount of pointless circuitry just to make LEDs go on and off, and one of the tiny transistors melting at some point, rendering one of the switches inoperable.

At some point, I may break out the soldering iron and some hook up wire and try to bypass all of that stupid bullshit (THERE ARE TWO INTEGRATED CIRCUITS IN HERE IT IS A FOOTSWITCH, gently caress) and just make it work as an un-powered footswitch like it should be.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

duodenum posted:

For real, though.
Bought my Katana 50 on a whim with proceeds from cashing in my change jar. What an incredible surprise.

mpaarating
May 6, 2011

The Baddest Boi

betterinsodapop posted:

For real, though.
Bought my Katana 50 on a whim with proceeds from cashing in my change jar. What an incredible surprise.

I've always been shocked by demos of those. Really incredible sounding for the money.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

How big is this change jar?!

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
It's a figurative change jar. And by figurative I mean it's their neighbour's.

Seriously tho, I love the amount of amazing sounds you can get out of gear now. Modelling amps are so loving fantastic but even if you fancy some tubes there are so many great and affordable tube or hybrid amps now. Like those lil Joyo Bantamps. They're fantastic and the price of ramen or something.

I'm sad that companies like Jet City seemed to shift because I loving adored the model of "great famous tube amps, made cheaply but well." I really hope some brands pick that up, without the Bugera nonsense.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

duodenum posted:

yeah it rules, my only complaint with is is that the usb out is really quiet for some reason. lots of great clean and gain tones, the effects are solid, i like the speaker, and the usb out makes recording stuff really easy (once i run everything through a second amp stage). sold a bunch of my less used pedals to get my 50, and i haven't regretted it at all.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

How big is this change jar?!
Just a regular mason jar, but there were some dollar bills (singles) in there too. I think I got the Katana for just about $180?

syntaxfunction posted:

I'm sad that companies like Jet City seemed to shift because I loving adored the model of "great famous tube amps, made cheaply but well." I really hope some brands pick that up, without the Bugera nonsense.
I sorta feel like Blackstar does this. Aren't kind of Marshall-esque, but just cheaply made in Korea?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
To me Blackstar are kind of their own thing, but pretty Marshall-esque in that they're British styled high gain, yeah. Even the HT series has definitely moved upmarket from where they started tho. It's not a bad thing but they aren't in the same price range generally now.

The HT series is pretty tops tho, and of course I'll be biased on the S1 series because they own bones imo.

But yeah, I think Blackstar might be one of, if not the only, remainder in the cheap tube market like that? Joyo has (had?) the Mjolnir and Beale Street I think. And then there's Bugera. Not much sadly.

Tubes become upmarket the moment solid state was usable, really. Just a bummer to me.

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Well, and Marshall's "low end" (DSL) tube series is made in Vietnam these days. Not that I'm complaining, my DSL40CR is a tremendous amp

My impression of Blackstar's HT series is that it's like the DSL series, with the ISF circuit as a distinguishing feature - not something down-market from Marshall.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

I think Blackstar is great. I had an HT5 for a bit, and really loved it. Great bang for the buck.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
I have a Blackstar HT50 head (or something like that, haven't been to the practice space in awhile) that I bought cheap from a friend a few years ago. Sounds great, more than enough gain for the thrash band I play in.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Oh yeah I am definitely not dissing on Blackstar, but when they were first released I remember them being basically the cheapest proper tube amps around, because that's why I was considering them in my guitar infancy haha. They're not anymore and that's awesome because they're a brand that stands by themselves now and I like that.

Playing back to back with Marshalls and Marshall clone-esque amps and I don't personally think Blackstars are too close. This is mainly my experience with my Series One tho, maybe the HT is more similar?

I loving love my S1. Got it for like AU$500 too, hell ye.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm thinking about getting a 1x12 and a bunch of hybrid and tube heads. I love my Katana but I've been a Dream Theater nerd for like, twenty years, and I really really want to buy a Mark V:35. I played the 1x12 combo version at my local store last week and it was lovely, and plenty loud for my apartment. I'm wondering if maybe a 1x12 mini cab would be a good idea so I can just hook up whatever low wattage hybrid or tube head I want to throw at it for any given sound. Most of the time I want to scoop the mids and pretend I have a mere sliver of John Petrucci's powers, but sometimes I want to get some more Alex Lifeson style tones, which is something that the Katana has been great for.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Black star HT series sound to me like Marshall’s where someone went in and cleaned up some of the upper midrange rasp. Which also strips a lot of their charm and brightness in a mix IMO. They’re fine though. The S1 series is a whole other thing.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Wasn't Blackstar originally some blokes from Marshall who decided to do their own thing?

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

BonHair posted:

Wasn't Blackstar originally some blokes from Marshall who decided to do their own thing?

That's what I recall, and they wanted to innovate more than marshall was comfortable with. The artisan series they started with always intrigued me, but I don't think I was ready for them when they came out

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004
The Egnater Tweaker 15W is a solid pick too, apparently they had QA issues with transformers for a while but I've had mine for 5+ years with no issues- seems like maybe it was a bigger problem with the 40W model. Dedicated FX loop is useful especially since there's no built in reverb, could use a second channel but you can always put a boost pedal in front, sounds real nice with a Fender Rhodes going through the Fender-esque "USA" tone stack.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just got this a day after my birthday!

Took it for a 2-hour spin and here's the driver's report: I have my Yamaha THR10x which is 20 watts and my Marshall AVT50 (50 watts, obviously) and I routinely crank them loud without bothering my wife/dogs/neighbors. How the gently caress is this so loud at 5 watts? I could not get the Dirty/Red channel beyond 5 watts. poo poo, I could not get it past Hi-Gain 1 Mode. I ran a BB+ just to get a little bit of more metal dirt happening. It was just loving nuts. The only other amps that are this crushing at this low wattage are my Mark V and Recto-Verb 25 heads (both have 10-watt modes for all 3/2 channels). Like even the Fender Blues Junior III or the Mesa 5:25 Express Plus combos I have are not this loud.

I just got this, and now I'm wondering what the Royal Atlantic (the 100-watt version of this) is going to sound like, because holy poo poo I am in love. What the gently caress did they do to these heads, man? They're just... loving insane. Here's what most insane: The Clean/Green channel? It's so rich, thick and syrupy, you could cut the tone and put it on a flan and it'd be the sweetest loving meal you'd have in your life. Legit the only downside of this head is that it doesn't have an FX Loop, but holy hell, I don't care. I'll run my effects on the front and get like a bypass or something. gently caress, it's so good.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The THR10x is a pair of five-watt amps pushing six inch speakers. It's not 20 watts.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Siivola posted:

The THR10x is a pair of five-watt amps pushing six inch speakers. It's not 20 watts.
Really? Huh, and here I thought from the description of the Mk II versions that the OG's were also 20-watts.

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit

Wark Say posted:

Just got this a day after my birthday!

Took it for a 2-hour spin and here's the driver's report: I have my Yamaha THR10x which is 20 watts and my Marshall AVT50 (50 watts, obviously) and I routinely crank them loud without bothering my wife/dogs/neighbors. How the gently caress is this so loud at 5 watts? I could not get the Dirty/Red channel beyond 5 watts. poo poo, I could not get it past Hi-Gain 1 Mode. I ran a BB+ just to get a little bit of more metal dirt happening. It was just loving nuts. The only other amps that are this crushing at this low wattage are my Mark V and Recto-Verb 25 heads (both have 10-watt modes for all 3/2 channels). Like even the Fender Blues Junior III or the Mesa 5:25 Express Plus combos I have are not this loud.

I just got this, and now I'm wondering what the Royal Atlantic (the 100-watt version of this) is going to sound like, because holy poo poo I am in love. What the gently caress did they do to these heads, man? They're just... loving insane. Here's what most insane: The Clean/Green channel? It's so rich, thick and syrupy, you could cut the tone and put it on a flan and it'd be the sweetest loving meal you'd have in your life. Legit the only downside of this head is that it doesn't have an FX Loop, but holy hell, I don't care. I'll run my effects on the front and get like a bypass or something. gently caress, it's so good.

swag

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Is 125 bucks for a Peavey Valve King 112 Semi-Tube a good deal? Is it going to do metal better than my katana which I only felt was merely okay?

Here's what it says

Features
- 50 watts (rms) into 16 ohms
- Two 6L6GC and three 12AX7 tubes
- Two independent footswitchable channels
- Separate EQ for each channel
- Footswitchable gain/volume boost on lead channel
- External speaker capability
- 12 inch ValveKing speaker
- Reverb with level control
- Buffered effects loop
- Resonance switch for "tight or loose" cabinet response
- Texture variable Class A simulation control (patent pending)

The handle had a screw strip out. I put another in but eventually it stripped as well. I don’t Move it around anymore so it hasn’t bothered me. Great amp with great sound. Much cheaper than more tube amps but still has good power and gain.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

They got go for like 300-400 on reverb so it's not a bad deal for babbys first tube amp.

Everything I've ever read about them says they can do a good "thrash" tone but not modern metal.

An eq pedal and a clean boost into it probably wouldn't hurt.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Is 125 bucks for a Peavey Valve King 112 Semi-Tube a good deal? Is it going to do metal better than my katana which I only felt was merely okay?

Here's what it says

Features
- 50 watts (rms) into 16 ohms
- Two 6L6GC and three 12AX7 tubes
- Two independent footswitchable channels
- Separate EQ for each channel
- Footswitchable gain/volume boost on lead channel
- External speaker capability
- 12 inch ValveKing speaker
- Reverb with level control
- Buffered effects loop
- Resonance switch for "tight or loose" cabinet response
- Texture variable Class A simulation control (patent pending)

The handle had a screw strip out. I put another in but eventually it stripped as well. I don’t Move it around anymore so it hasn’t bothered me. Great amp with great sound. Much cheaper than more tube amps but still has good power and gain.

Valvekings are positively decent. throw some fun pedals at it and you'll have a grand ol time with it.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
What do you guys think? Should I go for that or wait a bit and get something like a 6505 mini? This is mostly just for at home so I can have cool tube amp sounds, although at some point in the future I might like to play with folks. I was told the mini could push a cab loud enough for that if needed.

I like stuff like Death, random melodic death metal stuff, Gojira, some thrash metal, etc.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

What do you guys think? Should I go for that or wait a bit and get something like a 6505 mini? This is mostly just for at home so I can have cool tube amp sounds, although at some point in the future I might like to play with folks. I was told the mini could push a cab loud enough for that if needed.

I like stuff like Death, random melodic death metal stuff, Gojira, some thrash metal, etc.

Valvekings are not great for metal, more of a bluesdad/rock kinda sound. You definitely would still be using your katana to get heavy.

That price is real good, but if the handle screw is stripped that thing was rode hard and put away wet, so if you don't actually already have the amp you might hold out as I would bet it's gonna need a tube job sooner than later as well.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I have had a valveking 112 since around the time they came out, takes pedals extremely well on the clean channel, never use the distortion channel because even with modding it sounds like an icepick. Using a vintage 30 in it as well. Heavier sounds are possible if you use a good distortion pedal into the clean and an eq pedal into the fx return, and arguably using a closed back cab (speaker out disables internal speaker) sounds a little better for distortion. I'd probably pass if I was buying an amp today and didn't have a pedal platform figured out just because on it's own the distortion channel is a little weak sounding and it doesn't sound tight, seconding the blues rock assessment.

They are also weird amps with a long history of modding and weird little hacks that very subtly affect the sound, for example a 'tip' for it is putting a headphone adapter into the first input and your guitar into the second to force it to use the different input impedence. Similarily the fx loop if you put things into it has a different impedence as well and lots of people who don't use pedals in it would put a patch cable from the send to return and there is a noticable volume change there. It can slightly change how hard you're pushing the thing and it's just odd that it happens. It's always been an odd amp for me and only recently with a good distortion (empress), eq and some other things has it really sounded good to my ear.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Had a Valveking 212 and it would get loud. But more post-rock than metal loud. Almost every "modern metal" tube amp usually needs a good combination of dirt, eq and noise-gate pedals.

If you just want some modern metal, the Katana is pretty good for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I don’t love valve kings but 125 is stupid cheap.