Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

lol keep piling on the excuses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

recieving word that conor also had chapped lips and the sun in his eyes

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Adding taped ankles McGregor to the list of mythical fighters.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Ivypls posted:

recieving word that conor also had chapped lips and the sun in his eyes

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy
Conor right now reminds me of a wrestling heel who loses in 5 seconds and then argues that he "wasn't ready yet"

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
mod edit: Absolutely not.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jul 20, 2021

mewse
May 2, 2006

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

So what happened between Meisha Tate and Bryan Caraway? Last I remember they were engaged, but didn't really hear much since they were both in the UFC. I remember from watching the TUF season with her and Ronda that Tate seemed like a fairly nice, sane person, and remembered that Caraway seemed like a huge douche, so I wondered what the deal was there.

She didn't really comment on it publicly but Caraway blamed the breakup for losing a fight. Meisha started dating one of his teammates and got pregnant. Meisha now talks about overcoming her toxic relationship in interviews (they were together 10 years so doesn't seem like much of a leap to know who she's talking about)

Then Caraway forged some paperwork saying he owned an ATV that he stole from meisha and ended up getting 4 charges including a felony

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Lol someone could create a website like that defunct goon-run site that was like WhatHasObamaDoneSoFar.com but every time you refresh instead of Obama facts it's another Conor excuse

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

"I drank a bottle of Proper 12 in my hotel the night before"

"I was kicked in me legs by a leprechaun in training camp"

"I tripped over a handtruck on me way off the bus"

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

"If this was a different time, I'd invade his favela on horseback!"

"That time didn't count though, we had dengue fever!"

"Well my horse had tree broken legs and da kossacks and da mongols knew and dey did fookin nootin!"

"Sure but Vitor had a barbecue and served bad goat"

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
‘I hadn’t had me Lucky Charms’

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
"I bumped my leg into the dolly, that's why I threw it"

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
I'm eagerly awaiting Conor to identify the black magic practitioner who cursed him

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

reeg posted:

Sometimes I have wistful memories of the more competition-focused UFC where matchmaking was about putting the best against the best to find the one true champion

BUT

I ultimately think it's good and labor-friendly that the belt has become demystified. Fighters pick fights like they are a brand in the name of making more money. On a sporting level that's lame but in a notoriously anti-athlete sport I think its good that they've claimed that agency

yeah i mean i don't blame anyone for taking easy* fights, tbh i'm also just a salty rda fan who wants to see him fight someone who's not an insanely strong wrestler lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

"I was too busy thinking of all the alleged crimes i'm going to commit after this fight"

cams
Mar 28, 2003

"i was pretty washed up and the guy i was facing had whupped my rear end before and was about to do it again"

that's the excuse i'd go with

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

cagliostr0 posted:

I'm eagerly awaiting Conor to identify the black magic practitioner who cursed him

Theo Vonn put a voodoo curse on me from the front row

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LobsterMobster posted:

Was that the skinny, greasy looking guy wearing all the sequins? He blinded Conor with luxury.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

mewse posted:

She didn't really comment on it publicly but Caraway blamed the breakup for losing a fight. Meisha started dating one of his teammates and got pregnant. Meisha now talks about overcoming her toxic relationship in interviews (they were together 10 years so doesn't seem like much of a leap to know who she's talking about)

Then Caraway forged some paperwork saying he owned an ATV that he stole from meisha and ended up getting 4 charges including a felony

Yeah that all sounds about right, thanks. He seemed like a highly toxic type. Glad she's doing better and lol at Caraway

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Meisha's baby dady is named Nunes

FishBowlRobot
Mar 21, 2006

LobsterMobster posted:

Practicing them dark arts, gang gang

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

CommonShore posted:

Was that the skinny, greasy looking guy wearing all the sequins? He blinded Conor with luxury.

FishBowlRobot posted:

Practicing them dark arts, gang gang

lol drat

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Dillashaw vs Sandhagen Fight night breakdown

We have a few things to discuss here I guess. There is an extremely good chance that this card contains a fight on it that 3-4 years from now we’ll be saying “remember when they fought before they were both top-5 fighters?” like Poirier-Holloway, Holloway-McGregor, or Alves-Fitch.

Main Event (ESPN/+)
Bantamweight TJ Dillashaw vs Cory Sandhagen
According to the promos this is TJ’s heroic comeback after being bullied by the media and USADA for failing a drug test. Redemption story! The reality is that noted cheating drug cheater (and two-time former bantamweight champion) TJ Dillashaw is returning after a honking big suspension after he tried cutting down to 125 lb to cHaMpChAmP etc bullshit and got KOed by Henry Cejudo and then was exposed as a cheating drug cheat and stripped of his belt. For those of you who are new around here, he’s a wrestler who learned a high-activity footwork based kickboxing style. He zigs and zags and shifts and bonks dudes and occasionally throws big head kicks. Cory Sandhagen is that on amphetamines, which even though I’m using them figuratively, are incidentally a lesser PED than the poo poo TJ was busted using. He throws crazy kicks and jumping knees and poo poo. He’s coming off of a really quite scary extremely quick first-round KO of Frankie Edgar. The winner of this will probably be next in line for a title shot at bantamweight, whether that’s vs Champ Aljamain Sterling, or an interim shot vs Petr Yan.

Bantamweight Aspen Ladd vs Macy Chiasson
Ladd is a crushing top-game wrestler who screams a lot and misses weight. She really should be a featherweight. She wins most of her fights, but she was on the losing end of one of the fastest KOs in a UFC women’s fight. Her last fight was in 2019, a 3rd round TKO of Yana Kunitskaya (who lost recently). Macy Chiasson is a prospect from the FW TUF who is on a two-fight streak, recently beating Marion Reneau (who lost a lot recently and retired). She’s a punch lady but she hasn’t finished anyone since 2019.

Bantamweight Kyler Phillips vs Raulian Paiva
Kyler is a one of the top prospects in any division right now. This is his 4th UFC fight, and in the last one he took a decision over highly-regarded Song Yadong. He’s a well-rounded guy with sharp striking. He was supposed to fight Assuncao, so that should tell you how he’s regarded. Paiva is the replacement. He’s a DWCS guy who moving up from flyweight after missing weight heroically and taking a decision over Zhumagulov (who twisted a dude’s head off a couple weeks ago). He’s 2-2 in the UFC, and a serious underdog here.

:siren:Featherweight Darren Elkins vs Darrick Minner
It’s a midwestern barn burner! THE DAMAGE is a classic Indiana corn-fed wrestle-brawler with no sense of self preservation. He is not going to have a high quality of life after MMA. Anyway, his fights tend to be fun because of that. He was once a top dude but a four-fight losing streak ended that, but he turned it around in November with a submission of some dude. Meanwhile Nebraskan Minner is on a two fight streak now with wins over Charles Rosa and a big upset of TJ Laramie. I think he’s mostly a journeyman submission grappler, in that Nebraska/Iowa tradition of being 31 with nearly 40 fights.

:siren:Flyweight Miranda Maverick vs Maycee Barber
Barber is a DWCS super-prospect who lost to Roxy in one of the biggest upsets in recent history, and then lost a close decision to Alexa Grasso after recovering from the knee injury that took her out of the Roxy fight. Miranda Maverick is a real prospect who fought up through Invicta, having won a Phoenix Series tournament over there. She’s young, she’s cool, she’s smart, and she beats the poo poo out of people. Her most recent appearance was a decision over Gillian Robertson (who Barber TKOed). I’m a fan.

Welterweight Mickey Gall vs Jordan Williams
Gall got into the UFC with like no fights because they thought CM Punk had enough of a chance of beating him to at least book the fight. Since then he has bopped around mostly trading wins and losses to actually stay somewhat legitimate. He’s a grappler. In his last fight he got out grappled by … uhh… Mike Perry. Jordan Williams is a DWCS guy with a 0-1 record. He’s pretty anonymous. Why is this main card?

Prelims also ESPN/+
:siren:Middleweight Punahele Soriano vs Brendan Allen
Soriano is another prospect: he’s a DWCS guy who is now 2-0 in the UFC with two first-round KOs. Allen is his first step into “known quantity” territory. Allen is a once-prospect who is now in that second chapter of his UFC run. He had a good winning streak going including wins over Tom Breese, Kyle Daukaus, and Kevin Holland, but he got derailed by Sean Strickland and bounced back with a heel hook vs Karl Roberson (which was sweet). This is a good test for both: a nice competitive bout between young, aggressive fighters.

Middleweight Nassourdine Imavov vs Ian Heinish
Imavov is French and 1-1 in the UFC with a decision over Jordan Williams (above) and a majority decision loss to surging Phil Hawes (that was a good fight). Heinish has been bounced back down after a loss in a high profile fight against Gastelum. He’s a good wrestler, with good hands (i.e. a competent wrestleboxer) with good athleticism and a jailhouse spirit, but he hasn’t assembled all of the parts yet to prove that he is an elite fighter. If he’s still ranked, this is forcing him to defend that ranking. Not an extremely good fight, but a reasonable booking.

:siren:Bantamweight Adrien Yanez vs Randy Costa
Shti this is prospect night, isn’t it? Yanez is another elite prospect who we’ve been watching develop over this year and last. He came in on DWCs, and has scored two impressive finishes to follow it up. Randy Costa is a 6-1 American on a 2-fight streak against Journey Newson and Boston Salmon, both finishes as well.

Bantamrweight Julio Arce vs Andre Ewell
Arce moves down I guess. He’s an ok guy with a 3-2 UFC record, including a win over Dan Ige. He has two split decision losses, but I guess he wants to move down in weight or something. Whatever. Andre Ewell is in a similar spot. His last fight was a decision to Gutierrez, and he has mixed some wins and losses to middle-of-the-road competition. His best opponent is probably Marlon Vera.

Flyweight Sijara Eubanks vs Elise Reed
I’m amazed that Sarj is still here. She’s on a two-fight skid with losses to Pannie Kianzad and Ketelen Viera. She has excellent BJJ and terrible fight IQ. Note that this is at 125! She did well there on TUF but then missed weight and lost a title shot because of it. If you are a prop bet person maybe that’s one to pick. It’s do or die for her. Reed is the CFFC flyweight champion and she’s a good wrestler and a competent fighter overall. She absolutely can beat the usual Eubanks, but I don’t think she can beat the good version of Eubanks that shows up now and again.

Strawweight Diana Belbita vs Hannah Goldy
Hannah Goldy is a “prospect” with a reportedly lucrative OnlyFans. She had three consecutive fights cancelled, and hasn’t fought since a 2019 loss to Miranda Granger. Her previous fights have all been at 125. Likeweise for Belbita. She’s Romanian and 0-2 in the UFC against mediocre opponents. This is probably an alley-oop for Goldy.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Great breakdown as always, thank you CommonShore

I'm interested to see what post PED Dillashaw looks like. Or at least what "better at hiding the PEDs Dillashaw" looks like. Also lol at Mickey Gall somehow being on the main card.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Shout out to Boston Salmon (sounds like a racehorse imo) for getting a shout out two breakdowns in a row.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

ugh I hate to say it but i'm rooting for TJ. His fights with cody garbrandt were so much drat fun (even if the cejudo fight was a complete stupid dud)...and I know he's a filthy cheater. Is this what being a jon jones fan feels like.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Reminder that Sijara Eubanks has been involved in this domestic violence incident that's not got much press on it:
https://www.lowkickmma.com/sijara-eubanks-accused-of-domestic-violence-on-ex-girlfriend/

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

kimbo305 posted:

Reminder that Sijara Eubanks has been involved in this domestic violence incident that's not got much press on it:
https://www.lowkickmma.com/sijara-eubanks-accused-of-domestic-violence-on-ex-girlfriend/

:yikeseroo:

well let's just hope she loses and goes away then. I've been kinda rooting for her to put things together over the last year because she's an underdog etc etc etc but whatever. Water can go under the bridge, and we can throw abusers into said water, from said bridge.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i would only like to add to that breakdown post that tj wasn't ko'd by cejudo, he was ko'd by cejudo's enormous head. and i will be well and truly upset if sandhagen loses because i think he's got a good chance against yan, and tj doesn't.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

cagliostr0 posted:

I make your leg bones.......thinner......

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Yo I just went and watched Bisping vs Silva and I just want to say, yes, Herb Dean was always bad.

mewse
May 2, 2006

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6985561710140591365

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Goddamn, I wish I could drop an Irish accent that noice.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
The Ultimate Fighter Recap!

Episode 8: Fight or Flight

It's the last preliminary fight, and Team Volko has gone from starting 0-4 to 3-4. Can they pull even with the last bout of the quarter finals?

Gilbert Urbina explains how when he was growing up, he lived in a migrant camp.

Gilbert Urbina Home Video: Urbina is out of Mercedes, Texas. His brother Hector is a TUF 19 alumnus, and his brother Elias was on TUF 23. Hector lost to Cathal Pendred (Remember that guy? Oof), and Elias fell to Eric Spicely. Gilbert is looking to become the first Urbina to record a win on The Ultimate Fighter.

Miles Hunsinger Fight Prep! Miles feels he is well-rounded, but has more power than Gilbert. Ortega says he's ready for Miles to go out and have a war.

During sparring with Tresean, Miles hyperextends his knee throwing a kick, so he's going to get it looked at and possible treatment. Miles is told he has a tear, and he's trying to hide his injury at the house.

Gilbert Urbina Fight Prep! Urbina describes his fighting style as charismatic. He started with wrestling, moved to boxing, and is putting things together. Volko thinks Miles will primarily be looking for a blast double, so there's a lot of sprawl training going on for Gilbert.

Miles goes to the doctor for a reading of his MRI, and the doc asks if he wants a coach in the room with him (Uhhh, seems weird 2 me) and Miles declines that option. Miles has a grade 2 strain of the MCL, then says he's torn the MCL, but the other ligaments are fine. The doctor says a hit to the knee or a submission could make the injury worse. Miles is in a predicament about whether he should compete with an injury or not risk a worse injury that requires surgery.

Miles tries to warm up, but he notes that his knee feels like it's going to slip out frequently. He doesn't believe he can fight with shaky knees, so he's going to withdraw from the fight. Ortega says Miles will have a stigma he'll have to erase regarding this.

Dana calls in alternate Michael Gilmore, a moron who was not selected to be on the show, but he stayed in Vegas out of his own pocket (Quitting his salaried, insurance-providing job) on the off chance that he'd be called up. Dana, predictably loves idiots that are willing to sacrifice their lives for the gristmill. Dana gathers both teams in the gym and puts Miles on the spot to detail his own injury to everyone. Miles is now kicked out of the house.

Volko starts chirping at Ortega for laughing and cracking jokes before Dana showed up, basically feeling that Brian isn't taking the issue of Miles's injury very seriously. Ortega then shoots back with "would a good coach let an injured fighter fight?" which is interesting, since everything Team Ortega was saying to Miles basically amounted to "I mean, you could pull out, if you want everyone to know you're a pussy". Now Dana lies and says Miles had a MCL sprain, and then gives a talking head speech about how only the toughest stick it out in this sport and if you aren't tough enough, they'll find someone else.

Ryder tells Gilbert that he recalls watching some of Gillmore's fights, and that Michael looks tentative to throw his hands, doesn't like getting hit, and has a wrestling stance. Michael explains that he likes striking and his last fight nearly won via low leg kicks.

Weigh-ins once again go off without a hitch, so that's good to see.

Today's The Ultimate Fighter Flashback is...

Court McGee telling his story of addiction and sobriety and his whole entire comeback run on TUF. :unsmith:

Fight day is here! There are only 15 minutes left in the episode, so it'll either be a 2-round decision, or a second round stoppage, probably.

Tale of the Tape

Gilbert Urbina
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 185.5lbs
Reach: 74"

Michael Gillmore
Height: 5'11"
Weight: 185.5lbs
Reach: 74"

Round 1

Gilbert jabs, catches a kick and takes down Gillmore. Urbina gets Gillmore's back standing. They go to the ground, Urbina lands a few strikes. Urbina gets a half nelson going and Mike looks halfway between lost and frustrated. Team Ortega starts chirping the ref about 12-6 elbows, and the ref is having NONE OF IT.

Gillmore tries elbowing Urbina's shin, and he gets rear naked choked out for that tactic. This is Gillmore's 4th submission loss.

WELP! We are all tied up, 4-4, bby!

Semi-final matchups are set!

Middleweights:
Bryan Battle vs Andre Petroski
Gilbert Urbina vs Tresean Gore

Bantamweights:
Ricky Turcios vs Liudvik Sholinian
Brady Hiestand vs Vincent Murdock

Those bouts should be pretty decent.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

LobsterMobster posted:

Miles goes to the doctor for a reading of his MRI, and the doc asks if he wants a coach in the room with him (Uhhh, seems weird 2 me) and Miles declines that option. Miles has a grade 2 strain of the MCL, then says he's torn the MCL, but the other ligaments are fine. The doctor says a hit to the knee or a submission could make the injury worse.

Dana gathers both teams in the gym and puts Miles on the spot to detail his own injury to everyone. Miles is now kicked out of the house.

Now Dana lies and says Miles had a MCL sprain, and then gives a talking head speech about how only the toughest stick it out in this sport and if you aren't tough enough, they'll find someone else.

I'm assuming Miles called it a tear in front of the teams? Did the doctor talk directly about whether it was a tear or strain? I could see Miles not really drawing a distinction between the two.

Further, is there any hint that Dana talked to Miles 'backstage' or to the doctor directly, provided Miles gave consent etc?
Not trying to give Dana any benefit of the doubt, just want to understand the sequence by which he went with calling it a sprain.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

I'm assuming Miles called it a tear in front of the teams? Did the doctor talk directly about whether it was a tear or strain? I could see Miles not really drawing a distinction between the two.

Further, is there any hint that Dana talked to Miles 'backstage' or to the doctor directly, provided Miles gave consent etc?
Not trying to give Dana any benefit of the doubt, just want to understand the sequence by which he went with calling it a sprain.

So here's the sequence of events, as shown:

Miles goes to get his MRI read. The doctor says it is a grade 2 strain, then points out which ligament in question is the medial collateral ligament, noting "you've torn this ligament here, which is pretty important"

Then, after Miles tests things out in the gym with his team, he tells Ortega he's incapable of fighting with a compromised knee.

Then we get a Dana White talking head interview, and he says "Ortega and his coaches called me in, and they told me Miles Hunsinger has a MCL tear in his knee"

Then everyone is gathered in the gym, Dana walks in with Gillmore, and tells Miles to tell everyone what's up. "I tore my MCL" is what Miles says.

When Miles leaves, Volko calls out Ortega for being so nonchalant about the situation, and Dana clarifies "He was cleared by the doctor, he had a sprain, but the pain was too much"

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ah, so the doctor didn’t strictly rule out competition, only highlighted the big risk, but Dana took that as an absolute approval?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

LobsterMobster posted:

So here's the sequence of events, as shown:

Miles goes to get his MRI read. The doctor says it is a grade 2 strain, then points out which ligament in question is the medial collateral ligament, noting "you've torn this ligament here, which is pretty important"

Then, after Miles tests things out in the gym with his team, he tells Ortega he's incapable of fighting with a compromised knee.

Then we get a Dana White talking head interview, and he says "Ortega and his coaches called me in, and they told me Miles Hunsinger has a MCL tear in his knee"

Then everyone is gathered in the gym, Dana walks in with Gillmore, and tells Miles to tell everyone what's up. "I tore my MCL" is what Miles says.

When Miles leaves, Volko calls out Ortega for being so nonchalant about the situation, and Dana clarifies "He was cleared by the doctor, he had a sprain, but the pain was too much"

I mean, it sounds like what Dana said is accurate, but shaming people into fighting while injured is dumb.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Another famous Dana quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4SWr89m3N8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I love that not only is this funny but you know Conor has watched it and flipped the gently caress out over it