Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

hooman posted:

If they do they'll just dump Morrison for someone else and all the stink will magically vanish.

Hopefully Morrison will go full god's chosen and dig in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Senor Tron posted:

The reaction to borders reopening is hard to predict.

Once borders open we will have Covid in the community permanently. With as many people as possible vaccinated we're probably looking at flu numbers of infected and dead each year. That seems inevitable at this point, but Australians have got used (outbreaks aside) to not having it spreading uncontrolled. We'll eventually accept it because it will become the norm, but initially it will be a massive increase, in contrast to much of the world where it "just" being as bad as strong flu years is a massive improvement to the situation they have faced over the last 18 months.

This is going to be a really interesting mental shift, yeah.

The idea that it will become "just another flu" is something that was spoken about a lot last year, pre-vaccine, and relied on the idea that it would mutate to become less deadly. It seems like a lot of people are thinking we can just directly jump into that stage via vaccines when that hasn't actually happened yet. Britain is already, right now, recording 40ish deaths a day which is exactly what their typical flu death rate is when smoothed out across a year. That is obviously going to get worse, and that is obviously not the same as "just another flu" at all. Even before you factor in long COVID and unvaccinated kids.

I think the best scenario would be that we only very gradually ease the border restrictions (nobody gets in without being vaccinated, quarantine at home etc) and continue with test/trace/isolate while we watch how things develop in the rest of the world re: variants, booster shots, new vaccines. Maybe we can keep it at a mitigated low burn like South Korea or some Scandinavian countries did last year, and only go back into lockdown if some dangerous variant springs back up.

But I genuinely don't know how the public will react. Australians have been conditioned to be extremely intolerant of any community spread, but that might change once more and more individuals start getting vaccinated. I personally don't want to get anywhere near the loving thing even after being vaccinated, but I doubt most people will see it that way.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
As long as long covid is a thing I don't know if "just another flu" will be acceptable

go_banana
Oct 13, 2010
NSW numbers are really, really bad. And Jesus Christ all the press asking if its time we just learn to live with the virus. Get hosed scum.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Morrison will purposely poo poo himself at Engadine maccas during the re-election campaign and win by a landside

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

same

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Anidav posted:

Labor will win the next federal election. The newspoll breakdowns state by state show that the biggest swing towards Labor is in Queensland.

That's not a statistical anomaly.

Brisbane is literally the crown to win in the country because the amount of knife's edge Greater Brisbane seats held by the LNP is ridiculous.

Since 2019 Newspoll has gradually been showing evidence of a 5 point swing to Labor in Queensland and a 9 point swing to Labor in WA (whom we don't care about because there's not many seats there to win)

Even the slightest, slightest clue that Queensland swings kinda red next election, the Morrison government is gone.

lol dude liberals will find a war if its looking that bad

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

go_banana posted:

NSW numbers are really, really bad. And Jesus Christ all the press asking if its time we just learn to live with the virus. Get hosed scum.

Do they actually think that means everything opens up and you go back to normal? Abandoning elimination puts you in suppression, like the UK was for months and months. Extended restrictions nationwide without a clear goal for the public to embrace, it's the worst of everything, vaxxed boomers will demand special treatment. Oh and death.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

spaceblancmange posted:

Do they actually think that means everything opens up and you go back to normal? Abandoning elimination puts you in suppression, like the UK was for months and months. Extended restrictions nationwide without a clear goal for the public to embrace, it's the worst of everything, vaxxed boomers will demand special treatment. Oh and death.

Your mistake here is assuming that journalists think

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
they'll shank Morrison 6 months out from the election and then the polls will go back to 50/50

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

lol dude liberals will find a war if its looking that bad

isn't there talk of going back into Afghanistan?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Some war crime stones left unturned?

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

GoldStandardConure posted:

isn't there talk of going back into Afghanistan?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-20/australia-considering-return-afghanistan-monitor-taliban/100305336

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

thanks mister skeltal

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Everyone is going to be suddenly and deeply concerned about China just before the election, probably.

e: might get probed for mentioning China. Not my intent to stir the thread. Just saying they’ve used up “boat people” and there’s another effective distraction available to them.

commie kong fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 21, 2021

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

go_banana posted:

Akin to the old Yes Minister joke about politicians going "we must do something > this is something > therefore we must do this" I think a lot of journos go "we must ask something > this is something> therefore we must ask this."

Similar to the thinkpiece industry with its very short attention span both here and overseas churning out pieces along the lines of Australia Was A Covid Success Story; But Now The Tables Have Turned. Ten years from now or even one year from now nobody is going to remember a delayed vaccine rollout and a few months of lockdown for Sydney, and Australia's overall pandemic response will still be one of the best in the world. Conversely, the fact that the US and UK have gotten a majority of their population vaccinated very quickly does not atone for their collective 700,000+ death toll.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

bowmore posted:

they'll shank Morrison 6 months out from the election and then the polls will go back to 50/50

But that means you most likely have Dutton as leader.

ScoMo may be evil and useless, but at least he has his "daggy suburban dad I'm just like you" schtick to fall back on. Dutton only has cartoony evil. Which gets worse when he tries to smile and be personable. Remember those horribly posed family photos he pushed out pre his last spill attempt?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

BrigadierSensible posted:

ScoMo may be evil and useless, but at least he has his "daggy suburban dad I'm just like you" schtick to fall back on. Dutton only has cartoony evil. Which gets worse when he tries to smile and be personable. Remember those horribly posed family photos he pushed out pre his last spill attempt?
Dutton is very unpopular and may actually lose an election

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Anyway I went for a walk down my local high street (in Melbourne) and two of the cafes that would normally be open for takeaway were closed entirely, plus the kebab place, and I stopped in at my local and the owner said he was debating whether to even bother staying open or just shut down for the rest of lockdown and put his staff on annual leave. He's pro-lockdown but says he's still waiting on the government financial support he was supposed get from the May lockdown, and lost Jobkeeper in November because his earnings weren't reduced enough to keep it. Bleak vibe out there.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

freebooter posted:

Anyway I went for a walk down my local high street (in Melbourne) and two of the cafes that would normally be open for takeaway were closed entirely, plus the kebab place, and I stopped in at my local and the owner said he was debating whether to even bother staying open or just shut down for the rest of lockdown and put his staff on annual leave. He's pro-lockdown but says he's still waiting on the government financial support he was supposed get from the May lockdown, and lost Jobkeeper in November because his earnings weren't reduced enough to keep it. Bleak vibe out there.

Tell him if he has a go he'll get a go

Tgent
Sep 6, 2011

I feel like Frydenberg would be next in line at this point.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

quote:

Prime Minister Scott Morrison says he is making a “constant appeal” to the expert panel advising the government on vaccines to change their medical advice relating to the AstraZeneca COVID-19 jab, after it said it shouldn’t be the preferred product for people aged under 60.

lol

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Noted medical expert - Scotty from marketing ?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

commie kong posted:

Everyone is going to be suddenly and deeply concerned about China just before the election, probably.

e: might get probed for mentioning China. Not my intent to stir the thread. Just saying they’ve used up “boat people” and there’s another effective distraction available to them.

it'll be china for sure

Tgent posted:

I feel like Frydenberg would be next in line at this point.

gonna win the prime minstership and lose his seat

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

This has already been covered and the issue settled with a glowing endorsement from his significant other.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

commie kong posted:

Mate, as long as you're not doing genocide denialism bullshit, no one gives a poo poo if you mention China.

And, if you are, well there's a CSPAM Auspol thread which was literally created for genocide denialism , I poo poo you not.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

SecretOfSteel posted:

This has already been covered and the issue settled with a glowing endorsement from his significant other.

that just sounds like something a monster would make her say

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Mods asleep, post potato.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

incredible Joh Bjelke-Petersen energy

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

hooman posted:

Mods asleep, post potato.

please do not insult the noble potato by comparing it to peter dutton

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Mate, as long as you're not doing genocide denialism bullshit, no one gives a poo poo if you mention China.

And, if you are, well there's a CSPAM Auspol thread which was literally created for genocide denialism , I poo poo you not.

Which australian genocide are they denying?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
That's just it, they're not even doing our genocides - they doing the "Uyghur genocide is CIA op" thing.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

See, this makes me think that we probably will be in rolling lockdowns up to the election, because this comes across as desperately scrambling to cover for a lack of new doses that can meet our current demand. The PM is trying to get doctors to say that AstraZeneca is better than we think, and that tells me that we're not getting more Pfizer anytime soon.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Sierra Madre posted:

See, this makes me think that we probably will be in rolling lockdowns up to the election, because this comes across as desperately scrambling to cover for a lack of new doses that can meet our current demand. The PM is trying to get doctors to say that AstraZeneca is better than we think, and that tells me that we're not getting more Pfizer anytime soon.

Nah it's because he said it was alright for younger people the other week and now he's trying to bully the ATAGI into agreeing with him.

Sierra Madre
Dec 24, 2011

But getting to it. That's not the hard part.

It's letting go.

SuddenCactus posted:

Nah it's because he said it was alright for younger people the other week and now he's trying to bully the ATAGI into agreeing with him.

Yes, but why would he say it's alright for younger people in the first place, in the face of changing opinions from medical experts?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
“talk to your GP” as if anyone under the age of 60 has a GP instead of whichever itinerants are at the medical centre that day

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Sierra Madre posted:

Yes, but why would he say it's alright for younger people in the first place, in the face of changing opinions from medical experts?

He's an marketing idiot and doesn't understand the real world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

Bread Liar
He invested a huge amount of political capital in pushing the AZ before the whole blot clot thing came up.

Naturally, rather than using the best information available and jumping on Pfizer, he has to pretend his first decision was right all along and doesn't care what negative effects this will have on people.