Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hustlin'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The same thing Matsuri is

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Advertising

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

This has no audio so I feel I should point out the giant crocodile guy at the end is making an impressed whistle at this display.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 20, 2021

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

i should watch this show - is the animation always this good?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I wouldn't say so, but it also knows how to make more budget episodes less obvious, and it's paced so not every episode needs to look amazing either.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Willo567 posted:

i should watch this show - is the animation always this good?
It's been fairly consistentl for fights and has, like, Hunter x Hunter vibes? Like how the '99 anime had its charm and the 2011 anime has its own vibe? That sorta way.

Also yeah, the post above mine is way more coherent about it, I s'pose.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci_Vauuz7AQ

Fena is premiering on August 14 on Crunchyroll and Toonami with the first two episodes.

Yusin
Mar 4, 2021

I think Idaten is will be up tomorrow.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013
Controversial opinion: It's hard to take Night Head 2041 seriously when everyone is dressed like Derek Zoolander.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

From today's Slime Isekai episode:

"Power without ideals is rubbish and ideals without power is pointless" - Rimuru Tempest

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 21, 2021

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Joshlemagne posted:

Controversial opinion: It's hard to take Night Head 2041 seriously when everyone is dressed like Derek Zoolander.
Hey, it ain't their fault that they're really, really, ridiculously good looking! :colbert:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

Fena is premiering on August 14 on Crunchyroll and Toonami with the first two episodes.

Ugh they're using one of those fonts that mimics Japanese for their title card, really?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I think it's just a normal brush stroke font. That's nothing like the weird chinese menu kanji monstrosities you see.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I saw a dog that looks like my dog in this A+ anime AOTY

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Grouchio posted:

"Power without ideals is rubbish and ideals without power is pointless" - Rimuru Tempest

that's one of Japan's favorite Pascal quotes

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Grouchio posted:

I'm wondering if that's a reference to something in specific.

OnimaruXLR posted:

that's one of Japan's favorite Pascal quotes

Blaise Pascal? If so that would be super ironic given that Rimuru is atheist.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

doomrider7 posted:

I'm wondering if that's a reference to something in specific.

Blaise Pascal? If so that would be super ironic given that Rimuru is atheist.

The actual quote seems to be: "Justice without force is powerless; force without justice is tyrannical." unless there's another one I missed.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

leave it to slime to bastardize the quote while true art such as scar on the praeter preserves it

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

dogsicle posted:

leave it to slime to bastardize the quote while true art such as scar on the praeter preserves it

Could be a mistranslation which is...par for the course given the amount of flubs that the scanlation group finds.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

You know, this season was looking rough to start, but it's just getting more dire as it goes, feels like.

I started up a few series on the "might be interesting" list, and couldn't even finish an episode, and, worse, the continuing shows I was watching have declined.

MHA's gone from a mediocre arc done... okay to completely rearranging things to ruin the tension and energy of two good arcs. Animation is poor, plotting is weak, the filler's dull, and in general the show's not a fun watch right now.

To Your Eternity's latest episodes were a slog to get through, featuring the protagonists falling into the world's most obvious trap so the plot can go forward, then going to an island with an utterly absurd murder rate that somehow manages to just trundle on anyway. (The arena alone seems to kill about 100 people a week, which adds up to over 5,000 people a year. For context, Rome's arena is estimated at a 'mere' 5,000 gladiator's dead annually. And that's ignoring the routine street murders).

And even the show I thought would be most reliable, SD World Heroes, has somehow gotten crappier. Now, that would seem difficult, given that the show is absolute garbage I'm only watching out of a misguided sense of spite, but they found a way, with a multi-episode flashback. No new narration, even. Just plunking a bunch of episodes of the previous terrible SD Gundam show in front of audiences, and calling it a new episode.

Don't want to poo poo-talk shows I haven't seen, and there are several of those that look good, but man. To repeat the obvious, this season is a disappointment compared to the last two. (And hopefully compared to the next one.)

chiasaur11 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jul 21, 2021

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Does seem significant that this far into the season, no one has been interested enough to create a single new dedicated thread for any show.

I think Sonny Boy and Kageki Shoujo seem pretty cool, but that's about it.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

this season has nothing real interesting for me so i've been catching up on higurashi gou so i can watch sotsu, and i've also been watching Gundam. watched the first two films!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Outside of Aquatrope and MHA I'm not following anything this season, so I'm taking the opportunity to watch stuff from last season that I missed along with older stuff personally. Finished Gundam IBO, Thunderbolt 2 and Oddtaxi, gonna watch the Shirobako movie and start up Gundam Wing next.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Hargrimm posted:

Does seem significant that this far into the season, no one has been interested enough to create a single new dedicated thread for any show.

I think Sonny Boy and Kageki Shoujo seem pretty cool, but that's about it.

SK8 the Infinity is one of the best shows of it's season and never got a thread, so I wouldn't use that as a judge of quality. People can just be lazy.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm continuing to watch the very recent anime Magic Knights Rayearth this season.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the problem i have with seasons now is 50-80% of my shows just not feeling popular or worth a thread due to little to discuss

but idk, people surprise me with what shows they will discuss. i still don't want to make a bunch of separate threads and combining them into one feels weird as well.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i don't really like show threads enough to make them, prefer posting & reading big-picture impressions in here.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Hey, a new original Mecha show by Sunrise, I wonder what it's abou-

MAL posted:

In the year 2061 AD, Japan has lost its sovereignty. The Japanese people spend their days as oppressed citizens after being divided and ruled by the four major trade factions. The country became the forefront of the world following the deployment of AMAIM—a humanoid special mobile weapon—by each economic bloc.
So it's like Code Geass but with even more "woe is Japan, nation oppressed by evil foreigners" except this time it's just text.

Okay then.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

can you keep that take hot until October when it actually airs

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I don't think that was the message of Code Geass, OP

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

This one is sponsored by Papa John's.

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Elephant Parade posted:

I don't think that was the message of Code Geass, OP

I should have been clearer that I don't think that criticism of Geass is valid.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

This one is sponsored by Papa John's.

Make it Little Caesar's and we have a deal.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AnoHito posted:

Make it Little Caesar's and we have a deal.
:getin:

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Sonny Boy is interesting, I'll stick with it. Same with Aquatope. Battle in Five Seconds has all the hallmarks of battle royale trash but there's potential, so I'll see which side of the coin it lands on. I'm praying Magia Record diverges from its source material. I'll give Uramichi one more episode before I drop it; it's not bad per se, and I chuckled sometimes, but I don't know how much more mileage I'll get out of the "tired millennial who had lost all hope loses last bit of additional hope he didn't know he had" jokes. Jahy is a wildcard. Yea, it's a weak season, but considering I usually only find 3-4 shows that I actually stick with per quarter it's not too far off. It is kind of silly, though, that the anime I look forward to the most each week are the holdovers from Spring; I'm now going through Megalobox, Odd Taxi, and a Dynazenon dub rewatch. Whatever. That says more about the insanity of the Spring season than anything else.

Edit: Oh and Eternity's latest episodes are a little dumb, but to be fair I've also felt lukewarm about the series as a whole due to weird tonal clashes present in every episode past the first one.

Malsangoroth fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 21, 2021

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

Hey, a new original Mecha show by Sunrise, I wonder what it's abou-

So it's like Code Geass but with even more "woe is Japan, nation oppressed by evil foreigners" except this time it's just text.

Okay then.

Sounds awesome, my hype just keeps rising

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

GorfZaplen posted:

Sounds awesome, my hype just keeps rising

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Honestly my favorite thing about Eternity is that the tone swings and clashes only get weirder and more intense as it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Sindai posted:

Honestly my favorite thing about Eternity is that the tone swings and clashes only get weirder and more intense as it goes.

After the episode where Gugu bites it I went and read the whole manga on crunchyroll, and you are not wrong in the slightest. It's so weird!