Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
He ended up signing for Juve, lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i remember one year where pace and strength were god tier but also strikers missed close to 100% of one-on-ones. so you’d get big jozy* shrugging off 2 defenders, blitzing forward towards goal, and tapping the ball into the keeper’s arms

*american fm scouts are/were a gently caress

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

algebra testes posted:

Yall remember when the engine favoured pace that Theo was a goal scoring machine scoring 20 goals a season? Good times.

See also Agbonlahor, Gabriel.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

sebzilla posted:

See also Agbonlahor, Gabriel.

Let's not forget the legend that was Eddie Johnson.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Shroud posted:

Let's not forget the legend that was Eddie Johnson.

Oh yeah.

Even shithouses like Nathan Delfouneso and Fraizer Campbell would tear it up back then if you just had them running on to long balls all day.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
James Wilson was awesome for several years there

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Tony Shields at Peterborough, back in the day. 20 Strength, 20 Stamina - brick shithouse incarnate.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

In FM18 I made an Usain Bolt prototype with 20 Pace, 20 Accel, 20 NatFit, like 14 Agility and Balance, 15 Determination, and 1 for everything else, with I think like 13 Consistency. He was pretty good in League One, sucked in the Championship. I should run that test again in the FM21 match engine--I would bet he'll suck anywhere above semipro level.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Eric the Mauve posted:

In FM18 I made an Usain Bolt prototype with 20 Pace, 20 Accel, 20 NatFit, like 14 Agility and Balance, 15 Determination, and 1 for everything else, with I think like 13 Consistency. He was pretty good in League One, sucked in the Championship. I should run that test again in the FM21 match engine--I would bet he'll suck anywhere above semipro level.

why bother create a new player when you can just sign adama traoré and run the experiment with him.,

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://www.footballmanager.com/news/how-were-introducing-womens-football-football-manager#desktop

Finally getting women's leagues

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

quote:

We have thousands of ‘motion captured’ animations for our male footballers and when you apply many of these animations onto female bodies… well… they kind of move like cowboys.

Is it wrong that I want to try cowboy manager?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'll try a women's team manager save, absolutely.

I just hope they don't ask me to research Swansea Ladies.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
It's been a long time coming.

I'm excited to see how horrifying the regen faces are.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

mrnoun posted:

It's been a long time coming.

I'm excited to see how horrifying the regen faces are.

I hope they improve the female coach graphics. 21 was a big improvement over 20 but there's still some weirdness going on with the skin tone sliders (in 20 the whitest end of the scale looked like some porcelain doll from a horror movie)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

quote:

The maker of Football Manager has announced that it will be adding women’s leagues to the simulation video game.

Sports Interactive, which launched the Football Manager series in 2004, said the move would “cost millions” for “minimal” short-term return but that it was “the right thing to do”.

“There’s no hiding that there’s currently a glass ceiling for women’s football and we want to do what we can to help smash through it,” wrote Miles Jacobson, Sports Interactive’s studio director. “We believe in equality for all and we want to be part of the solution. We want to be a part of the process that puts women’s football on an equal footing with the men’s game.”

Jacobson said it was a “multi-year project” on which work had begun some time ago. He explained that it would take considerable time to build the database for women’s football and work on the animation, as well as address issues such as transfer and wage structures and even the menstrual cycle and pregnancy.

Users will be able to manage both a men’s and women’s team on the same package. “At this stage we don’t know exactly how long the process will take so we can’t say exactly which version of FM will see women’s football make its debut,” Jacobson said, “but rest assured that our plan is to make this happen as soon as we possibly can.”

Okay Miles.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

sassassin posted:

I'll try a women's team manager save, absolutely.

I just hope they don't ask me to research Swansea Ladies.

I heard a 31 year old ex Swansea International has already signed up to research their youth team?

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013

vyelkin posted:

Okay Miles.

"Team cohesion level: excellent
Menstrual cycles: fully synchronized"

Please no...

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

This is just going to lead to all the female footballers getting recurring injuries from cramp isn't it

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Going to be seeing that 'player announces they're gay' news item more often.

Or would it not even be newsworthy?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
What if you made a sports game with female athletes and didn't put periods in it, would that be weird

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

sassassin posted:

Going to be seeing that 'player announces they're gay' news item more often.

Or would it not even be newsworthy?

Want FM to start borrowing from the ootp model and get a message on game day saying my star striker fell out of his loft or cut himself chopping vegetables

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

the sex ghost posted:

Want FM to start borrowing from the ootp model and get a message on game day saying my star striker fell out of his loft or cut himself chopping vegetables

Do modern fms still have the arse file?

Players used to have their 'beat up a fan' 'miss training after a night at the club' stuff in but disabled for probably liability/not getting sued issues but you could delete a file to turn it back on.

I guess it's probably not a thing anymore and only stuff that affects regens who can't sue you

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
can't wait for the inevitable FM forum thread: "all my players got pregnant at the same time wtf" with first response "It's your tactics mate"

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Do modern fms still have the arse file?

Players used to have their 'beat up a fan' 'miss training after a night at the club' stuff in but disabled for probably liability/not getting sued issues but you could delete a file to turn it back on.

I guess it's probably not a thing anymore and only stuff that affects regens who can't sue you

They even blocked real players from having bad personalities to reduce the chance they'll get sued because some lazy fucker got given the 'Slack' personality.
All the more reason to use 'Fake' players, imo.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah in almost all cases if you look under the hood nearly every player has at minimum like 12 in every hidden stat and in most cases 15+. Regens are all over the map and thus more fun.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Eric the Mauve posted:

Yeah in almost all cases if you look under the hood nearly every player has at minimum like 12 in every hidden stat and in most cases 15+. Regens are all over the map and thus more fun.

Under the hood most Swansea players have below 10 for Sportsmanship. Andre Ayew has 4. Low Temperament, too. Whinging diving primadonnas. Other researchers may view their own players more kindly though.

Senior players in top leagues are almost always going to have better than average (for a professional footballer) professionalism, ambition etc. or they wouldn't be where they are. Youth players mostly won't have those attributes filled out in the database and should randomly assign the same way regens do, just with 'balanced' displayed rather than "mercenary shithouse".

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I love how when you're managing an English team and make a deep Cup and CL/EL run and you play two matches a week for three straight months, your whole team is unflaggingly Unhappy With Training and there's gently caress-all you can do about it because there's no time to do any training.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

even if a player had hidden stats that would usually lead to a negative personality, it always just says "balanced" for real players.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

the sex ghost posted:

Think it was FM08 where you could sign 44 year old Jean-Pierre Papin, and I think FM12 had that 50+ year old Italian goalie in the database

I'm still playing fm20 so I don't know if they retired due to the covid break, but there's a ton of 40 year old players in the Japanese league it's pretty wild.

Hell, Kazuyoshi Miura is still an active player there, he's just 54 years old!

algebra testes posted:

Yall remember when the engine favoured pace that Theo was a goal scoring machine scoring 20 goals a season? Good times.
I don't know which FM it was, but I fondly remember the FM where Amauri transferred to Juventus and playing as Juve was a breeze since he would just plow through the midfield and score like a beast.

My entire tactic was passing the ball through the middle and feed them to him and see him melt away defenses with impunity.

It was very funny to see these smashing results and contrasting them with his real life ones.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
My club's reputation went from National to Worldwide in the space of 4 months and now my 2.5 star trash backups are worth £20m.
How am I gonna get rid of them now, Miles, eh?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Mans posted:

Hell, Kazuyoshi Miura is still an active player there, he's just 54 years old!

King Kazu is still playing, he got a 94 rated card in FIFA Ultimate Team last week cos he rules so hard

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
So, I broke down a few weeks ago and bought FM 2021, with my prior version having been 2017.

Some thoughts:

The UI is hideous. And I LIKE purple.

The match engine has taken quantum leaps in the last four years. Players generally react to everything now. They don't just stop dribbling, and hold the ball in place until they're fouled or dispossessed. Dribbles and dodges both work and look better.

I'm not sure if I've just become better at the game, but sims seem to take less time now as well, with strategies generally working as intended. Well... provided your players are good enough to perform. Watching guys with single digit stats try to play is interesting in its own right. The point being, if I tell them to try early crosses... they mostly do. And when they don't; it's more apparent WHY they failed or chose something stupid.

Tactics matter, and dynamics seem to matter as well. At the very least, I can't scummily invite 35 players on trial, have them get off the plane, check their teeth and send them on their way. Each player arriving and leaving affects team dynamics.

Goaltending on the pitch is improved as well. Rebounds occur, for instance. Goaltenders in '17 tended to be black holes, from which no cross would escape. Even with max tendency to punch, they'd just catch everything, often while sprawling in a dive. Now, they punch corners and crosses. Sometimes!

And in a development purely pleasing to only me:

The Canadian National team is a loving powerhouse. I BEAT Mexico for the first time EVER, this week. Sure, it was in a friendly, but it's just so nice to have good players... and prospects I had earmarked in 2017 turned out to be bangers 4 years later.

I have never had the opportunity to coach a player as good as Alphonso Davies, and it just changed the way I play. 19 Pace and Acceleration! He plays for Bayern, so he might actually get trained up to be a finisher. (But he won't, I think they use him as a left back.)

Anyway, 9/10. Would recommend, at 50% off. If you haven't updated in ages.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I just wish high-tempo suicidal gegenpressing wasn't straight-up better at every level of play, even with players not suited to it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://twitter.com/FootballManager/status/1423599736741789696?s=09

https://twitter.com/FootballManager/status/1423602468005556227?s=19

Man U getting the Zebre treatment

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
UFC are going to sue.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I assume they know fighting these things is basically pointless since literally every team and competition could have a fake name, people would just delete the "fake names" file and download a real name mod.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Mans posted:

I assume they know fighting these things is basically pointless since literally every team and competition could have a fake name, people would just delete the "fake names" file and download a real name mod.

True but you don't want to give up too easy or every team sends the same letter and it becomes an issue.

Also I never changed Herman Munsterman

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Mans posted:

Lawyers needed some extra income during a lull so they chased this probably

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I've got a 'messing around' save on the go and qualified for the Champions League groups as Fjolnir in Iceland. You know when you can just tell you're going to need the lube?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

I've been messing around playing as PSG and holy poo poo is the officiating in Ligue 1 matches biased in their favor. I dunno and am a little curious what coding might be involved but it's just as blatant as it is in real life.