Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

stirling comes off as a kind of normal guy by the standards of that milieu most of the time, but then it feels like at least once per series you get something like a character musing "and the good thing about this timeline divergence is that Islam will never exist!"

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

FPyat posted:

Stirling was later banned from alternatehistory.com for saying (I recall) that he would kill all Muslim males if given the option to do so.
My memory is spotty, but didn't he also got himself banned from soc.history.what-if for similar behavior?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Marshal Radisic posted:

My memory is spotty, but didn't he also got himself banned from soc.history.what-if for similar behavior?

SHW-I was an unmoderated newsgroup so I'm not exactly sure how he'd have been banned, but he was known to have said similar things there according to people I've seen discussing his history.

Best reference I can find is from years ago on a non-public forum, so I won't link it here but if someone is curious enough to sign up for access you can PM me.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

SM Stirling getting banned from a usenet group:
Hoping it's something stupid similar to how Jerry Pournelle got himself banned from the Arpanet.

https://www.bradford-delong.com/2013/07/how-jerry-pournelle-got-kicked-off-the-arpanet.html

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Beefeater1980 posted:

E: my immediate mental image for Cazaril like 5 pages in is Jim Caviezel at the start of Person of Interest.

Yes ! More weatherbeaten and careworn, but that's exactly what Cazaril looks like. Aka Spanish as all hell.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mllaneza posted:

Yes ! More weatherbeaten and careworn, but that's exactly what Cazaril looks like. Aka Spanish as all hell.

I'm chuckling at you two picturing a character as looking like Jim Caviezel when you've both almost certainly drawn the association because the names are similar.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I don't imagine actors/actual people any more when reading. I definitely did when I was a kid/teenager, but at some point in my imagination, characters started becoming.. more abstractly visualized? I get kind of an idea of a face, their clothing, etc. Hard to describe.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Aardvark! posted:

I don't imagine actors/actual people any more when reading. I definitely did when I was a kid/teenager, but at some point in my imagination, characters started becoming.. more abstractly visualized? I get kind of an idea of a face, their clothing, etc. Hard to describe.

I kinda blip over direct visual descriptions of people a lot of the time; just doesn't make me form an image in my mind, even the usual "hair color and shape, height, coloring, eye color" just goes in one eye and out...the...okay what's the "in one ear and out the other" phrase for reading

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

silvergoose posted:

I kinda blip over direct visual descriptions of people a lot of the time; just doesn't make me form an image in my mind, even the usual "hair color and shape, height, coloring, eye color" just goes in one eye and out...the...okay what's the "in one ear and out the other" phrase for reading

Aphantasia is a gently caress, I don't get the visuals even if I do read them. I can empathize.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

SkyeAuroline posted:

Aphantasia is a gently caress, I don't get the visuals even if I do read them. I can empathize.

Oh wow, cool, there’s a word for it. I always just thought I had a bad imagination.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I imagine every book I read in an anime visual aesthetic, similar to Kentaro Miura's style with a bit of Yutaka Minowa. Kind of similar to how the recent Castlevania series was animated. It's part of why I think every fantasy series would be better as an animated adaption that live action if an adaption happens. It would also avoid having to spend $15 million an episode to make a dragon seem like it really exists alongside real people.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Ccs posted:

I imagine every book I read in an anime visual aesthetic, similar to Kentaro Miura's style with a bit of Yutaka Minowa.
/

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Ccs posted:

I imagine every book I read in an anime visual aesthetic, similar to Kentaro Miura's style with a bit of Yutaka Minowa. Kind of similar to how the recent Castlevania series was animated. It's part of why I think every fantasy series would be better as an animated adaption that live action if an adaption happens. It would also avoid having to spend $15 million an episode to make a dragon seem like it really exists alongside real people.

I've been thinking a lot about how great an animated movie or series of Tooth & Claw would be.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
they should make an animated Culture show

*monkey paw curls*

Starring, produced by, and funded by: ELON MUSK!!!!!!

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Don't worry, Jeff Bezos probably still has the rights

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Tor is offering Charlie Jane Ander's newest book for free today only as part of their book club. I enjoyed that author's previous book All The Birds in the Sky fair enough, though it got a bit weird at the end, and I didn't enjoy it enough to check out their next book The City in the Middle of the Night. But can't argue with free!

https://www.tor.com/2021/07/19/this-july-21-get-a-free-download-of-victories-greater-than-death-by-charlie-jane-anders/

https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/53205810-victories-greater-than-death

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Ccs posted:

Tor is offering Charlie Jane Ander's newest book for free today only as part of their book club. I enjoyed that author's previous book All The Birds in the Sky fair enough, though it got a bit weird at the end, and I didn't enjoy it enough to check out their next book The City in the Middle of the Night. But can't argue with free!

https://www.tor.com/2021/07/19/this-july-21-get-a-free-download-of-victories-greater-than-death-by-charlie-jane-anders/

quote:

Tina never worries about being ‘ordinary’—she doesn’t have to, since she’s known practically forever that she’s not just Tina Mains, average teenager and beloved daughter. She’s also the keeper of an interplanetary rescue beacon, and one day soon, it’s going to activate, and then her dreams of saving all the worlds and adventuring among the stars will finally be possible. Tina’s legacy, after all, is intergalactic—she is the hidden clone of a famed alien hero, left on Earth disguised as a human to give the universe another chance to defeat a terrible evil.

But when the beacon activates, it turns out that Tina’s destiny isn’t quite what she expected. Things are far more dangerous than she ever assumed—and everyone in the galaxy is expecting her to actually be the brilliant tactician and legendary savior Captain Thaoh Argentian, but Tina….is just Tina. And the Royal Fleet is losing the war, badly—the starship that found her is on the run and they barely manage to escape Earth with the planet still intact.

Luckily, Tina is surrounded by a crew she can trust, and her best friend Rachel, and she is still determined to save all the worlds. But first she’ll have to save herself.

hmmm

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Ccs posted:

Thanks, i had signed up for the book club ages ago for another free book but it was on one of my spam accounts so I'd miss a limited offer like this otherwise. Don't know if I'll like it, it seems like a book I'd like but I'm not 100% jazzed on the author, but it's free so worth a shot, worst it can do is I close the tab 50 pages in

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

wizzardstaff posted:

Oh wow, cool, there’s a word for it. I always just thought I had a bad imagination.

Can you imagine you can imagine the image?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Aardvark! posted:

they should make an animated Culture show

*monkey paw curls*

Starring, produced by, and funded by: ELON MUSK!!!!!!

Jolier Veppers is the role he was born to play

Bertilak
Oct 31, 2010

I am an infrequent browser of this thread, but I was hoping for some assistance. I had never heard of KJ Parker (or Tom Holt), but the 16 ways book looks quite interesting (the fencer trilogy less so). I was wondering if there are any other books that he has written under either name that is particularly recommended?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Bertilak posted:

I am an infrequent browser of this thread, but I was hoping for some assistance. I had never heard of KJ Parker (or Tom Holt), but the 16 ways book looks quite interesting (the fencer trilogy less so). I was wondering if there are any other books that he has written under either name that is particularly recommended?

I'm reading his book "Savages" right now and enjoying it. It's actually a pretty good intro to Parker because its hitting all his standard material but at a faster pace than usual since its just one volume. For his more atypical works there's The Folding Knife and Sharps. My favorite work of his is his short story collection Academic Exercises. 16 Ways is really good though, I do recommend it.

Fencer was interesting at times but a bit of a slog to get through. I'm not sure I'll be tackling his Engineer trilogy unless I really run out of stuff to read since I think his early trilogies are just too much. He has since thankfully learned how to be more concise.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Several Zelazny books have come out in ebook format, including Today We Choose Faces and both Dilvish books.

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:
I just finished the sequel to 16 Ways (How to Rule an Empire and Get Away With It), and while it didn’t grab me like the first one, it was still a fun read with a few good twists. Looking forward to the third book in the series (out next month, iirc).

Also finished The Gone World a few weeks back, reminded me a bit of Jeff Vandermeer’s Southern Reach series. Some parts of it felt straight up uncomfortable to read - the cabin with all the mirrors, the explanation of how the timelines work/collapse, etc. Ending felt a bit abrupt, but still worth a read.

I read Neal Asher’s Spatterjay series a while back and mostly enjoyed it (mortal fear of leeches and anything with a leech mouth aside) but he has a pile of other books and I wasn’t sure where to go next. Any recommendations?

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003NX7NEM/

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

Bertilak posted:

As Tom Holt he is almost entirely missable except for The Walled Orchard, which is one of the best historical novels I've read. It's certainly unlike any other historical novel, and despite a few misgivings about how Eupolis' relationship with his wife was portrayed, I would recommend it to anybody.

On a vaguely related but non-SFF note, To Calais In Ordinary Time always comes to mind when I think of The Walled Orchard because it is also one of the best historical novels I've ever read and is also unlike any other historical novel I've encountered. Well worth checking out.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Instead of going back to sleep I finished 16 Ways while the sun came up this morning. Really enjoyed that, another stellar recommendation from this thread. I will likely just read the sequel next, but it made me think, in some weird way, of Death Note's "battle of wits" between the two protagonists and how much I liked that way back when. Is there some other good SFF literature with a feel like that? Two great minds continuously scheming and outscheming each other?

Oenis fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 22, 2021

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

This Is How You Lose The Time War sort of fits that (and is amazing so you should read it.)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Kalman posted:

This Is How You Lose The Time War sort of fits that (and is amazing so you should read it.)

Bertilak
Oct 31, 2010

Thanks for the advice on Parker/Holt.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Does anyone know why Tanith Lee's Heart-Beast doesn't have an ebook edition? I thought she was a big enough name that her stuff would have been ebooked. (but then, I would have thought the same for Cherryh :sigh:)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/jeffvandermeer/status/1418235754317221893

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Adventures of Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser Volume Two: Swords Against Wizardry, The Swords of Lankhmar, and Swords and Ice Magic by Fritz Leiber - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L8WP9LR/

The King Must Die (Theseus #1) by Mary Renault - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DCGJ6UO/

The Novels of Alexander the Great: Fire from Heaven, The Persian Boy, and Funeral Games by Mary Renault - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DIRC81G/

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Clark Nova posted:

Jolier Veppers is the role he was born to play

you know, I'd watch that

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Just got done with all of the Starship’s Mage (1-10), Curse of Chalion, Paladin of Souls, and the Hallowed Hunt. Don’t really know what to go for next. Anything new that is super interesting? Don’t necessarily want a whole series

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

KKKLIP ART posted:

Just got done with all of the Starship’s Mage (1-10), Curse of Chalion, Paladin of Souls, and the Hallowed Hunt. Don’t really know what to go for next. Anything new that is super interesting? Don’t necessarily want a whole series

Piranesi is very good. I’m enjoying KJ Parker’s “Savages” right now but I haven’t finished it yet. It’s new-ish. The Blacktongue Thief is good and can be read as fairly self contained.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Bertilak posted:

I really liked his two short story collections, Father of Lies and Academic Exercises.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Ccs posted:

Fencer was interesting at times but a bit of a slog to get through. I'm not sure I'll be tackling his Engineer trilogy unless I really run out of stuff to read since I think his early trilogies are just too much. He has since thankfully learned how to be more concise.

At least read the first Engineer book like I did.

SFL Archives 1997: Beyond the Beyond/Dead Space is a 1997 satiric SFF murder-mystery novel (about a Star Trek: TOS analogue tv series getting rebooted in the 1990's and the fandom's reaction to it) got someone so not-Mad they wrote a negative review of it so long and angry the mailing list moderator had to break it up into 3 parts. The review was so angrily incoherent with dozens of blanket quotes from the book and angry rebuttals defending SFF fandom/making GBS threads on the book's author that I ended up reading Beyond the Beyond earlier this week just to see what the fuss was about.
BtB gave off strong "this books existence inspired the Galaxy Quest scriptwriters" vibes.

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jul 23, 2021

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Worth a read then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Benagain posted:

Worth a read then?

Beyond the Beyond or Tom Holt's the Engineer trilogy?

Beyond the Beyond is a solid maybe recommendation. Everything revolves around around 5-8 characters, including a out-of-nowhere transgender reveal. Beyond the Beyond is a 1980's -present day actual tv screenwriter/tv producer's take on SF themed tv shows, tv networks, tv network execs interference into tv shows and hollywood talent agencies.

I read Engineer book 1 last month and didn't like it; but would like someone else's fresh take on it, especially if they are a existing Tom Holt in his KJ Parker persona fan.