Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SkyeAuroline posted:

It's less about taking it out and more about not embracing it as a positive thing the way most Westerns do. Dust Witches started off with the idea of playing as the people resisting settlement but even then my earliest drafts (and the only ones to come anywhere near a workable idea) had issues. Laying it out, the goal was essentially to "fix" Dogs in the Vineyard by taking its gameplay loop and repurposing it with a less broken system for a West explicitly decoupled from the real one; no more "Mormon sex police" (which was never what DitV was anyway but it's the only thing anyone wants to call it), no more "the native people just happened to all leave when we arrived and come back after we settled", no implicitly justifying settlement with civilization and faith. Drafts of the "intent" for design ended up taking that loop and pushing it outside of the original "travel between towns, solve problems" into more explicit anti-imperialist design; the PCs were people from the West explicitly out to keep their communities safe from threats mundane and supernatural, including the eastern Authority's reach.

I never actually figured out how to do that and translating much of any of it into mechanical design was where the project stalled. Just never had any ideas for how to write it beyond sweeping pitches for the game. I stopped writing it before COVID hit, and since I left the community I was doing all my writing in early last year I haven't really touched it at all (I also lost the best excerpts of fluff writing and most notes...), but I've kept my preoccupation with eventually writing some form of explicitly anti-imperialist/anti-authority RPG (a field that's in dire lack of games right now; Spire, Misspent Youth, now Hard Wired Island if you ignore the Dreamer campaign pitch, and that pretty much taps out all of the ones worth the paper they're printed on) and it's been resurfacing recently so I've considered revisiting it.

So what's left without embracing the colonialism and manifest destiny, while still following the narrative beats of Westerns? Depends if you take the revisionist angle or play it straight - I'm tired of subversions, so "you're good people, not necessarily heroes, traveling the frontier and setting things right where there's no other recourse". Which... is something like 80% of RPGs, possibly minus the "frontier" bit. So that's not very helpful. But like I said, this all originally stems from "fixing" Dogs in the Vineyard, where the loop is almost exactly that; "you're nominally good people traveling the home of the Faith, setting right what's gone wrong before it all blows up". So I guess that's all I was looking for - writing those traveling heroes in a setting that fits the genre's trappings without oops! embracing genocide of natives and theft of land as a required part of the entertainment. (I'm about ready to give up on trying to write the explicitly anti-Authority parts and just "don't depict them positively and leave reactions to player choice", but I'm also well aware of cases like PATROL where not actively writing in "Rhodesiaboos gently caress off" wasn't sufficiently overt to get them to gently caress off. Not taking a side in writing may as well be an endorsement.) The only ways around it I've really seen used are just saying "oh it's Fresh Unspoiled Land with No Natives to Care About" which is just the Manifest Destiny angle all over again, except this time it's right.

I get the feeling this has turned into unhelpful rambling at this point. tldr "what I'm after": magic cowboy knights errant protecting their homes without inadvertently writing in deeply morally compromised takes as part of the setting. "erase all of the morally complicated parts of the genre" feels like a copout. there must be another way.
You're not looking for a western RPG then, because of all the reasons you listed. You're looking for another genre to layer six shooters and cowboy hats over.

If you're playing as the natives what you want is to look at alien or demonic invasion RPGs for inspiration. You're playing as the underdogs under assault from a technologically (or magically) superior foe with an unassailable point of origin. If it's explicitly set during the wild west era then the invaders have effectively already won. You're playing as members of a dying civilisation trying to survive as best you can in the face of annihilation. As a core premise every member of the party will have lost multiple loved ones to the invaders so you'll want something with mechanics that reflect that. Anyone who shows up rooting and tooting is a monster that considers you less than human and can and will kill you if they want, and retaliating will lead to even more retributive genocide.

If you're playing the invaders and want to do colonialism bad you'll want to look at RPGs where you're explicitly playing the villains.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jul 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I can't think of a less harsh way to say this but you're basically saying you want to write a pro-palestine RPG where you're a bunch of IDF members in the settlement zones but, you know, fun.

e: so you need to compromise on the colonialism (no sapient natives to oppress, or are sapient but are happy or indifferent to your presence, or are sapient and being oppressed but that's a good thing), or lean into being on the bad side, or go down the "noble nazi" route, or be playing the people being colonialized, or be from the bad side but join the good side to fight off the invaders which is kind of white savioury. And the problem with compromising the colonialism is the more cowboy themes you layer on the more obvious the unfortunate implications.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Jul 21, 2021

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Whybird posted:

I feel the blow is softened here if there's a really good reason why the land is truly empty.

I feel this raises other interesting questions. If we're talking sci-fi, does it make a difference if we're talking planets instead of territories? Like, do the planets need to be barren? What if there are only plants and non-sapient creatures? What if a civilization used to exist but died before we arrived? Does it change anything if the exploring civilization is already post-scarcity? I don't have specific answers to these, but they seem interesting to think about.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I ran a pretty obviously colonialism-themed D&D game with the rub that most of the PCs are representative of the native and local cultures dealing with attempts to colonise them. Also it's a ludicrously deadly post-apocalyptic setting with dinosaurs and robots and such.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You've got to tread extremely carefully with an anti-colonialism setting because your failure state is accidently creating a nationalist anti-immigrant "preserve tradition / reject modernity" alt-right setting.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

It's completely within the Western genre for the antagonists, the evil force that violently prevents honest hard working people from living peacefully in the new land, to be rail barons or mining company owners or other stand-ins for capitalism/industrialism.

It's also completely within the fantasy and scifi genres (although the trope is much less common nowadays) to have some kind of portal / spaceship / macguffin that provides transport to a new land that is harsh and dangerous but also uninhabited and promising, and the plot to be driven by people being horrible to other people for profit or power.

Seems like you could smash those two things together and get something close to "a western" in terms of towns, wilderness, gunslinging, etc but without the genocide.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jul 21, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

It's completely within the Western genre for the antagonists, the evil force that violently prevents honest hard working people from living peacefully in the new land, to be rail barons or mining company owners or other stand-ins for capitalism/industrialism.

It's also completely within the fantasy and scifi genres (although the trope is much less common nowadays) to have some kind of portal / spaceship / macguffin that provides transport to a new land that is harsh and dangerous but also uninhabited and promising, and the plot to be driven by people being horrible to other people for profit or power.

Seems like you could smash those two things together and get something close to "a western" in terms of towns, wilderness, gunslinging, etc but without the genocide.
Yeah that's part of what I'm trying to get at. You either remove the colonialism and go an actual terra null route, or you make a game about how colonialism is bad. Leaving the native genocide as "well it's going on and that's not great but we're not really involved" doesn't work when you're explicitly movers and shakers. Wandering from town to town solving problems gets messy real fast when the most common "problem" is "somebody else used to live where this town is".

If you just want to make Terra Nova the RPG hell yeah though.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jul 21, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Splicer posted:

I can't think of a less harsh way to say this but you're basically saying you want to write a pro-palestine RPG where you're a bunch of IDF members in the settlement zones but, you know, fun.

e: so you need to compromise on the colonialism (no sapient natives to oppress, or are sapient but are happy or indifferent to your presence, or are sapient and being oppressed but that's a good thing), or lean into being on the bad side, or go down the "noble nazi" route, or be playing the people being colonialized, or be from the bad side but join the good side to fight off the invaders which is kind of white savioury. And the problem with compromising the colonialism is the more cowboy themes you layer on the more obvious the unfortunate implications.

So just kill the project entirely. Got it.

E: because the only non hosed up route here is one I already suggested and that didn't apparently do enough to avoid being "abhorrent".

SkyeAuroline fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jul 21, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SkyeAuroline posted:

So just kill the project entirely. Got it.
Whut? No. You could make decent RPGs out of about half the options I listed. Some of them do carry higher inherent risks of going down weird routes than others though.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Aside something that's really weird to me is that Westerns, along with some related genres, have both very casual murder and low population densities. Even societies that have high murder rates and low population densities don't tend to be the kind of murder fests that even a pretty peaceful rpg or video game produces (because they would very rapidly run out of people).

That said if you want a bit of a genre expanding experience, the USSR made Westerns, usually very blunt Revisionist stuff.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

neonchameleon posted:

Genuine Terra Nulla has been rare for good reason, but the Falkland Islands qualified. And Antarctica arguably still does. It's just hard to have NPCs in Antarctica

Now here's an idea, set it in post-global warming Antarctica. The glaciers have melted enough for a land-grab along the coasts, lots of displaced peoples making hard-scrabble settlements extracting what livelihood they can from the barren rock, with the interior of the continent still being dark and cold and utterly inhospitable and full of mystery. It's like a western but cold instead of hot! You can even put in John Carpenter Things or Shoggoths or whatever if you wanna go more fantastical with it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

neonchameleon posted:

Genuine Terra Nulla has been rare for good reason, but the Falkland Islands qualified. And Antarctica arguably still does. It's just hard to have NPCs in Antarctica
This is shoggoth erasure.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Halloween Jack posted:

This is shoggoth erasure.
Not to be confused with shoggoth Erasure:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWqJTKdznaM

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I've never actually played Dust Devils (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/83481/Dust-Devils) but I've always thought there were some interesting ideas in it, and certainly some hard thinking about the genre. It's not a fantasy, it's straight Western, but it does at least have passages like this:

quote:

There’s plenty of reason to recognize that America has a collective Devil, and the best Westerns point directly at this issue. America and its citizens have to reckon with this violent history, and forget any romantic notion that Gene Autry and Tonto represent the Western.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

neonchameleon posted:

I'm getting an early Arthuriana vibe from this part. The Roman Empire has collapsed, telling the provinces to look to their defences. Vortigern has invited the Saxons over to settle as mercenaries... which hasn't stopped the raids. And now some nobody has ended up with a sword, which is no basis for a system of elective government.

Vince Baker's first big post Apocalypse World project was set up like this. It got into playtestable shape but didn't go forwards for reasons I never heard.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I really liked the new damage system in that; I wasn't part of their forum community so like you I never heard more about it.

(If I remember right, weapons defaulted to 2-harm unless you are in a circumstance, usually a given range, where your weapon is especially deadly. Then it does 3-harm.)

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
If I remember right, Greg Keyes had a series where Enlightment-era Europe used alchemy to nuke itself, and had to be recolonized by American and Metis survivors.

French king: "gently caress England. Philosophers, use your newfound alchemic sympathy to drop a comet on them"
Philosopher: "what size rock u want?"
Louis: "Did I loving stutter? A rock the SIZE OF ENGLAND"

A campaign of Indigenous Americans exploring the ruins of alchemy-crazed, demon-infested Europe could be fun.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

moths posted:

Firefly did a pretty clever thing in filling the role of "savages" with hyper-aggressive non- agency-having failed experiment subjects. I'd argue that's a better route than sentient-but-always-Evil fantasy races, or any of the other analogies for indigenous people.

The genre requires a hostile faction that can't be reasoned with and only understands violence, and it's good that we've seen a shift away from colonialism's "people who used to live here" to brainwashed fanatics or robots programmed for war crime. 40k's Orks are refreshing in that fighting is a joyful experiences in their culture, and brings them meaning and satisfaction.

Eh, kinda disagree with the reavers from firefly being a good execution of this. An attempt was made, but the moment you realize the rape and murder savages that can't be reasoned with is the indian analogue for Joss's "old Cowboy media in space!" some gross readings become possible.
Also from what I remember the science experiment twist from serenity also was a bit of a retcon and didn't mesh with the show's original portrayal of reavers, since we see a dude 'go feral' from exposure to them, which doesn't mesh with the movie's explanation of the failed(?) experiment.

I agree with any attempt at "space western" or really any old genre fiction requires a lot of care, but I don't think it's impossible. Editiorial sidebars and forewards are probably good and so is getting a bunch of different eyeballs on things.

Some folks will say you need to humanize every faction and make it shades of grey, others that you need some inhuman bad guy faction,
And I don't think there's a 1 size fits all answer.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Squidster posted:

If I remember right, Greg Keyes had a series where Enlightment-era Europe used alchemy to nuke itself, and had to be recolonized by American and Metis survivors.

French king: "gently caress England. Philosophers, use your newfound alchemic sympathy to drop a comet on them"
Philosopher: "what size rock u want?"
Louis: "Did I loving stutter? A rock the SIZE OF ENGLAND"

A campaign of Indigenous Americans exploring the ruins of alchemy-crazed, demon-infested Europe could be fun.

Dark Souls except you're a Navajo warrior.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

You cant put the genie back in the bottle and play westerns as a goodguy badguy morality tale like its 1935 anymore.
Look at all the revisionist westerns since and the morality tops out at grey and tends toward being very dark. The most recent real big western to hit as far as I remember is Deadwood.
You can run Deadwood, but its explicit there that you are playing people who are taking advantage of a situation, and most often are just outright bad people.
In RPG's in general, you probably are playing bad people, its been the norm in the hobby until recently when people started to question this really.
Westerns put you into the unfortunate situation of being bad people to a currently oppressed group of people. It's not historical, the pain is still ongoing.

Deadwood maybe can get away with it because its explicitly a drama.
RPG's are games, its right there in the word, and the question people are asking now, more than ever, is how appropriate is it to play games about hurting real people, and by extension, standins for real people?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
I am curious, when are you playing a not-Western with cowboy hats and six-guns (just the trappings), and when are you playing a Western and erasing?

Cad Bane has a cowboy hat, a drawl, and is quick on the draw, but I wouldn't describe Clone Wars as a Western. Can one player have a game of "rootin tootin pistols at dawn yeehaw", and it's okay, and it only becomes problematic when the whole group is about that?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

In the end its going to be on you and your group to answer that for yourselves. Some people are totally fine playing bad people and acknowledging that its a fiction. As for erasing, that again is on you and your group, some people are comfortable sidelining unpleasant bits of a setting, others will not be.

The best thing a game can do is present its contents honestly and sensitively as regards actual historical issues at play in its setting.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Does anyone know of any particularly good npc generation tables? Like "roll 3 physical traits, roll 4 personality trait, roll 2 backstory prompts" type thing?

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Reigns actual character creation might work for you

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

fool of sound posted:

Does anyone know of any particularly good npc generation tables? Like "roll 3 physical traits, roll 4 personality trait, roll 2 backstory prompts" type thing?

Persons of Interest for Stars Without Number - easily adaptable to other genres.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

fool of sound posted:

Seconding

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

Reigns actual character creation might work for you

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Coolness Averted posted:

Eh, kinda disagree with the reavers from firefly being a good execution of this. An attempt was made, but the moment you realize the rape and murder savages that can't be reasoned with is the indian analogue for Joss's "old Cowboy media in space!" some gross readings become possible.
Also from what I remember the science experiment twist from serenity also was a bit of a retcon and didn't mesh with the show's original portrayal of reavers, since we see a dude 'go feral' from exposure to them, which doesn't mesh with the movie's explanation of the failed(?) experiment.

I agree with any attempt at "space western" or really any old genre fiction requires a lot of care, but I don't think it's impossible. Editiorial sidebars and forewards are probably good and so is getting a bunch of different eyeballs on things.

Some folks will say you need to humanize every faction and make it shades of grey, others that you need some inhuman bad guy faction,
And I don't think there's a 1 size fits all answer.

In cases like the Reavers or the various sorts of Bandits, Cultists, Robots, and Aliens that fill Western influenced Sci-Fi, at least for the better made ones they aren't meant to be an analogue for Native Americans and other Indigenous Peoples from a cultural one, merely to fill the role of an external enemy so that you can use the genre's trappings without having to be a genocidal rear end in a top hat

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Deadlands tried (keyword "tried") to do an anti-colonial adventure path where PCs fought for indigenous autonomy. Or at least, that was the intent; it seems to be a case of differing writers and the project going off in different directions mid-project. Basically the AP went out of its way to avoid having the US army as villains and placed the blame more or less entirely on Ravenites, an indigenous faction who is behind the rising tensions on both sides.

I know it's not a helpful means of showing "how to do it right," but figured it'd be pertinent to the conversation.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

neonchameleon posted:

I'm getting an early Arthuriana vibe from this part. The Roman Empire has collapsed, telling the provinces to look to their defences. Vortigern has invited the Saxons over to settle as mercenaries... which hasn't stopped the raids. And now some nobody has ended up with a sword, which is no basis for a system of elective government.

I forget where I read it, but there was a very good article I once came across that posited that the worldbuilding in early D&D, Greyhawk specifically, had a lot less in common with medieval feudalism and a lot more in common with the American frontier as presented in Westerns.

Drakyn posted:

This is a few days old but I'd like to hear more details on the stealth stuff if that's possible? That seems like the kind of thing a LOT of fiction-influenced rpg setups could make good use of.

Sure, I just need some time to get an effortpost together.

Kaiju15
Jul 25, 2013

Do the western vibes in Mad Max count? Society on the brink of ruin (or well past in the rest of the series) with a lone lawman (or all your PCs I guess) out to keep a small spark of order alive.

Samurai narratives lend themselves pretty well to the tone as well. A Fistful of Dollars and The Magnificent Seven are just blatant ripoffs of Yojimbo and Seven Samurai respectively.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
You could go the route of natives fighting back against invaders, maybe. I once brainstormed a D&D setting idea that was basically reclaiming land, destroying settlements, and eliminating explorers from an invading force that were forced to serve gods that would drat them for not participating in the invasion. The invaders were supernatural in origin, spawned as adults, and their monuments to their gods inflicted supernatural harm on the spirits of the land and were also necessary for invaders to spawn.

Hexmage-SA fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jul 22, 2021

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

fool of sound posted:

It might have to be adjusted somewhat for setting stuff that doesn't apply to whatever you're doing, but Blades in the Dark has NPC tables that give you adjectives for looks, goals, preferred methods, professions (common or rare), traits, interests and quirks.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Oh! The NPC tables in Ironsworn and Starforged are top-grade.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

KingKalamari posted:

Sure, I just need some time to get an effortpost together.
Thanks a bunch, no rush on my end so don't feel pressured.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Man have none of you seen a Spaghetti Western ever or like, the Wild Bunch?

Manifest Destiny really isn’t being endorsed when all the colonialists are some flavor of bastard

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Angrymog posted:

Persons of Interest for Stars Without Number - easily adaptable to other genres.

Thanks for all the suggestions, this one is particularly good!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

potatocubed posted:

Oh! The NPC tables in Ironsworn and Starforged are top-grade.

Seconding this, the effectiveness of those tables is a large part of why those games work so well. Ironsworn's tables are great, Starforged's tables are even better.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I freakin' love tables

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
If I can interrupt for a moment of self-promotion:

It's itch 'Creator Day' today, which is when they do a Bandcamp Friday and funnel 100% of money to the creators. To try and get lots of promotion a person on Twitter organised a bundle -- which was then split into 10 bundles because she got way more uptake than she was expecting, and my game Bleak Spirit is in Bundle #6.

Bleak Spirit is a GM-less storygame about exploring a world of fallen grandeur in the manner of Dark Souls or Hollow Knight. Of the other games in the bundle I only know Dragonhearts, which is a GM-less storygame (built on Firebrands, if you know that one) about being dragons who do flirting and duels and have mystic dreams about an upside-down flying mountain wherein the world may be saved or damned.

Links to the other nine bundles, which contain just piles and piles of other games I know nothing about, are at the foot of the Bundle #6 page.

I'm doing a terrible job selling this because I haven't slept properly in like a week, but now you know it exists at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I have played Bleak Spirits. It's a good game. I liked how the rules were presented to teach as it explains.