Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Vakal posted:

Are the face buttons and stick on the RG351 any bigger than the ones on a Vita?

Here's a pic I found:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I want a spring-loaded M.2 slot that you can hot swap like cartridges. You could get a bunch of 128GB ones for those 100GB+ games and get annoyed when they inevitably get too big to fit on it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

That loving Sned posted:

I want a spring-loaded M.2 slot that you can hot swap like cartridges. You could get a bunch of 128GB ones for those 100GB+ games and get annoyed when they inevitably get too big to fit on it.

Only if you can fire them out of the unit like UMDs

Weedle
May 31, 2006

steam deck commercial where cool teens trade games by blasting ssds at each other

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Our man Russ weighs in on the deck

https://youtu.be/gAFN5HRQeZk

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXj5A9ZhPSE

TVs Ian posted:

I was able to use Dig, my main problem was exiting emulators. If I used the home button, it doesn't close the emulator
IIRC you can use the toolbox settings to lower the amount of concurrent apps allowed to run so it will just close the program for you if you run anything else.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

I got the RG351M pretty much set up. It’s great with 351elec. Retro achievements are really really cool, by the way. Has me playing old games that I might have never gone back to.

Scraping for art/movies is gonna take alllll night, however.

Anyway this thing is great. Not perfectly comfortable in my hands but it’s pretty good. The weight and quality are pretty impressive though.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I don’t think achievements work when the console is off WiFi, be careful.

Also my scrapes went up like 20x in speed when I made a proper account with the provider, can’t think of the name. They prioritize members so triple check your username and password in the options.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

note also that if you run with wifi on all the time it hits the battery pretty hard, and the percentage indicator is not particularly useful. once the battery gets down to around 30% the device stops being able to draw enough power to remain stable while running the wifi radio so it starts crashing like crazy

re: scraping, i found that switching my scraper to “the games db” is a lot faster than even credentialed screenscraper and doesn’t require a login. however sometimes the games db doesn’t work for some reason and i have to switch back to screenscraper. try them both though

Weedle fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jul 19, 2021

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rolo posted:

I don’t think achievements work when the console is off WiFi, be careful.

Also my scrapes went up like 20x in speed when I made a proper account with the provider, can’t think of the name. They prioritize members so triple check your username and password in the options.

https://www.screenscraper.fr works great with an account and is super unreliable and slow without it. I find them a lot better than gamesdb once you use your (free) account. I think there's a limit on API calls but it's pretty high.

There's also ways to do it on PC and then move it over. Generally that speeds things up too.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

My 128gig card ran out of space, with all the videos, so I am going to move it to a new card (same exact brand/type) that has 256 gigs.

I used Win32 Disk Imager and made a ~128gig .img file. (it's elec351 on the original card)

How can I get that onto the new card?

The instructions here confuse me a little bit:
https://retrogamecorps.com/2020/10/09/rg351p-firmware-guide/#Restore

It says if you're running Elec351 that it will automatically resize the partitions and so on. But I'm not sure that quite applies.. does it? I'm looking to put this image on a bigger card. How?

I can go into the windows disk partition tool and allocate any free space to the "Games" partition, afterward, I suppose...

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

If I already have a modded PSP-1000, is it worth getting one of the RG351Vs. It would be mostly used for playing games from the 8 and 16-bit systems, with some PSX and PSP games.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

diremonk posted:

If I already have a modded PSP-1000, is it worth getting one of the RG351Vs. It would be mostly used for playing games from the 8 and 16-bit systems, with some PSX and PSP games.

I wouldn’t count on PSP games but everything else will run better if you are having any issues.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFNDsS_vePE

diremonk
Jun 17, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

I wouldn’t count on PSP games but everything else will run better if you are having any issues.

Not having any issues, was just seeing if the performance would be better with a RG351V. Kind of looking for an excuse to get a new toy for a trip I'm taking in a couple months.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

diremonk posted:

Not having any issues, was just seeing if the performance would be better with a RG351V. Kind of looking for an excuse to get a new toy for a trip I'm taking in a couple months.

Wood grain, my dude.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Wood grain, my dude.

this

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Wood grain, my dude.
LOL, when I decided to get a 351v, I was torn between the different colors, but realized that the wood grain one would be unique compared to any of the other handhelds I'd get.
It does look very convincing in person since they used a high resolution texture to cover it (however they were able to do it).

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Quick question about scraping, using Screenscraper.fr. They limit you to 20,000 scrapes a day, but I pretty much have everything downloaded and looking decent now. It missed a few, however, and if I go through manually, I can grab them and it looks nice.

However, I'd like to do a full audit of all of the systems, but I am unsure if it counts as a 'scrape' if nothing is actually downloaded/needed. I select "Missing Media Only" on the RG351M (Elec351 firmware).

Edit: Did some testing, it appears that it does count as a single scrape, even if you don't need to download anything. :themoreyouknow:

Chinook fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 21, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I got a 351P, I like how clicky the shoulder buttons are.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I'm thinking of taking this plunge and considering the 351 series, mostly because I'm looking for a well supported, relatively easy experience, and it looks like 351Elec has me covered for that. I don't know for sure I want that right analog stick but it feels like ti would be a bummer to want to play some Playstation 1 game where it's needed, so the v is out. All that logic seem right?

Past that, I guess I have to settle on the 351m vs p? It sounds like the build quality on the plastic version is well within the range of fine, so my question is - do people find the wifi connectivity of the 351m particularly useful? Even factoring in a USB adapter so I can use a wifi dongle for intermittent updates, it looks like a ~$30 price difference. Not nothing.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

The wifi connectivity isn't high on my list of needs, but it helps with some weird hacky stuff I do for my consoles. Other than that, I've never used it.

Outside of that, I believe there's only like 1 or 2 games that require the right analog stick by default, but have settings to let you use face buttons, so if you like the vertical form factor and slightly bigger screen, the V may be perfect for you.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

My 351p came with a USB adapter and wifi dongle, but after setting it up and loading my :filez: I haven't used it since.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

Boxman posted:

I'm thinking of taking this plunge and considering the 351 series, mostly because I'm looking for a well supported, relatively easy experience, and it looks like 351Elec has me covered for that. I don't know for sure I want that right analog stick but it feels like ti would be a bummer to want to play some Playstation 1 game where it's needed, so the v is out. All that logic seem right?

There are very few PSX games that need the right stick (Ape Escape might be it?), so the bigger factor is what systems you'd primarily play and how much you prefer crisp pixels vs scaling. The P has the perfect ratio for GBA, but the V is better for NES/SNES/Genesis/etc. The other factor is that I like using the right stick for N64 C buttons - without that, the V simply doesn't have enough buttons to cover the N64 controller. But then N64 games are very hit and miss on the 351 devices anyway.

Boxman posted:

Past that, I guess I have to settle on the 351m vs p? It sounds like the build quality on the plastic version is well within the range of fine, so my question is - do people find the wifi connectivity of the 351m particularly useful? Even factoring in a USB adapter so I can use a wifi dongle for intermittent updates, it looks like a ~$30 price difference. Not nothing.

I have the 350M and 351P so while not the same device, I can compare the build quality. The M definitely feels more premium and there's something "nicer" about pressing the buttons and hitting the metal case - I guess maybe like mechanical keyboard people like having a metal backplate? But also that added weight makes it feel less pocketable.

The only thing I feel missing about not having always-on wifi is that I can't really use RetroAchievements. I only plug in the dongle when I need to transfer games/scrape media. The V is a middle-ground here price wise and has wifi.

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.
351P owner and I only used wifi during my setup and scraping process via dongle. It's a pretty perfect portable retro console. I'm jealous of the 351V screen resolution but otherwise I think the P is a really solid choice.

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
How often do these come pre loaded? I was going to gift one to my nephew and that would make a big difference!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

How often do these come pre loaded? I was going to gift one to my nephew and that would make a big difference!

It'll most likely come loaded with games but nothing comprehensive.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
Here's my thoughts as a V owner, I've never even held the P/M.

I got the V because of the screen. It's awesome and perfect for everything I play except GBA. GBA looks great though and the black bars are small and not noticeable. As far as dual vs single stick goes I've never actually used the stick on mine and always default to the d-pad. Obviously you may feel different depending on the games you're wanting to play but I think like others have said the amount of games that actually do need dual sticks is in the single digit range. As for wifi I've always had it turned off except for when I was scraping boxart and the like during the initial setup. Scraping is totally optional though and you can actually scrape on a pc and transfer it over to the SD card and that works just fine. As for P vs M if it were me I'd go with the P. I realize a lot of people like the premium feeling of the M but the P is cheaper and lighter which are both great advantages for a handheld. Also if my V is anything to go by then the P is a sturdy, nice feeling plastic that doesn't feel cheap. Just reminds me of all my older nintendo handhelds.

So really just decide what games you're wanting to play and if you strongly prefer vertical vs horizontal orientation and go from there.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Because I really like messing around with Retro Achievements, I like the wifi aspect of the M. Also, the metal finish feels fancy.

But the aspect ratio of the V has me a little jealous.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The wifi version of 351 let you let coop with 2 machines? Is it easy to setup coop between 2 machines?

Have they made a smaller version of 351 in smaller form factor?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I thought I was immune to the retro gaming bug, but then I hit my mid-30s and now I'm shopping for handhelds.

I don't know if I'm searching for the wrong terms, but I'm having trouble finding out how well these modern retro consoles handle suspension, i.e., putting the console to sleep in the middle of a game and picking it back up right where you left off. It's my favorite feature on the Switch (and the DS :rip:). Is this a common feature? Something they do natively? Is there any specific console I should look at if this is a big selling point for me?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Lester Shy posted:

I thought I was immune to the retro gaming bug, but then I hit my mid-30s and now I'm shopping for handhelds.

I don't know if I'm searching for the wrong terms, but I'm having trouble finding out how well these modern retro consoles handle suspension, i.e., putting the console to sleep in the middle of a game and picking it back up right where you left off. It's my favorite feature on the Switch (and the DS :rip:). Is this a common feature? Something they do natively? Is there any specific console I should look at if this is a big selling point for me?

Worst case just make a save state?

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

stephenthinkpad posted:

The wifi version of 351 let you let coop with 2 machines? Is it easy to setup coop between 2 machines?

Have they made a smaller version of 351 in smaller form factor?

There's the 280M, 280V and Anbernic is about to release the 300X, which are all worth looking at if you want something smaller. Both the 280M/V have a weaker chip in them (JZ4770) than the 351 unfortunately. I believe it's unconfirmed but the 300X may also be using that chip. In a perfect world Anbernic would just release a 281P with no analog sticks for ultimate pocketability.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Lester Shy posted:

It's supported on the 351 devices with 351Elec at least, probably others. Personally I don't use it much since I have retroarch setup to create a savestate on exit. So I just hold select, double tap start, and my game closes and makes a savestate at the same time. Makes it easy to get out and back into a game quickly.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

On the 351v, while you can sleep it, the power button sticks out just enough that if I slip it into my pants pocket, it'll inevitably power on in there and I won't notice until my thigh is on fire. So be careful with that.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
The 351P looks amazing. :captainpop: Time to set up a proxy card for AliExpress...

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

LLCoolJD posted:

The 351P looks amazing. :captainpop: Time to set up a proxy card for AliExpress...

If you don't mind paying a few extra dollars, you can get them on Amazon. They even come with Prime, so you get that expansive return/refund policy too.

LODGE NORTH fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 21, 2021

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Ya'll make a compelling case for the v. I don't think I realized there were so few PSX games that used the right stick...and I'd probably spend more of my time in 8/16 bit world anyway. I'll probably impulse purchase one later today. If i want it for a trip in early September, I'm better off just going on amazon and picking a seller more or less at random, right (at least one that's fulfilled by Amazon)? Any AliExpress seller will feature the "it'll get there when it gets there" special?

Boxman fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jul 21, 2021

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
What's the chance of Anbernic making a "301m/p/x" with a left analogue dish in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Boxman posted:

Ya'll make a compelling case for the v. I don't think I realized there were so few PSX games that used the right stick...and I'd probably spend more of my time in 8/16 bit world anyway. I'll probably impulse purchase one later today. If i want it for a trip in early September, I'm better off just going on amazon and picking a seller more or less at random, right (at least one that's fulfilled by Amazon)? Any AliExpress seller will feature the "it'll get there when it gets there" special?

I can't find the email right now but I think mine took about 3 weeks to get in on the slow boat from China. Looks like the ones on Amazon are only $20 more so I'd probably just go with that.