Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh interesting, the list I found had the stories’ titles as: Last Diner, Silver Medal, The Hour at the Hospital, and Deceived. Hospital makes more sense for Martha. But it’s all based off someone’s CV, so they might be mistaken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The_Doctor posted:

Oh interesting, the list I found had the stories’ titles as: Last Diner, Silver Medal, The Hour at the Hospital, and Deceived. Hospital makes more sense for Martha. But it’s all based off someone’s CV, so they might be mistaken.

Seems unlikely, given that leak's, what, over a year old and otherwise completely accurate?

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Big Finish have a half price sale on for main range 100-150 this week (including bundles!).

I was thinking about getting the Charley/6 range (I don't want a copy of the last C'rizz one, and I already own a copy of The Girl Who Never Was and Patient Zero), the Klein trilogy and Robophobia.

Anything else that's essential?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Skipping the last C'Rizz story is a good idea. The only thing it has going for it is that it is the last C'Rizz story.

Outside of the others you've mentioned, of what I've listened to The Magic Mousetrap is a quite fun 7th Doctor story I really enjoyed. The Stockbridge trilogy of 5th Doctor stories starts well, gets better, has a stumble and then falls flat on its face: The Castle of Fear isn't great but is fun; The Eternal Summer is almost a classic but then doesn't quite pull it off in the end; then Plague of the Daleks as the final of the trilogy is just... a dull Dalek story that doesn't really bear any relationship to the other two stories beyond the most shallow aspect of being technically set in the same town.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 23, 2021

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Open Source Idiom posted:

Seems unlikely, given that leak's, what, over a year old and otherwise completely accurate?

Interesting--anything else we know of from that same leak?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

jivjov posted:

Interesting--anything else we know of from that same leak?

Just some minor cast members who you've probably never heard of, unless you're like best mates with Jeremy Aang Jones.

It was part of the same wave of leaks that revealed Dalek Universe before it was announced.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wait. Wait. Wait. Hold up.

Richard E. Grant played The Doctor?

What's the story there?

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

LividLiquid posted:

What's the story there?

there's two stories, really

first he appeared in The Curse of Fatal Death comedy sketch as one of its short lived Doctors in 1999

then in July of 2003, with the show looking unlikely to return, a webcast animation called Scream of the Shalka was announced for the 40th anniversary featuring Grant as the voice and likeness of the officially announced Ninth Doctor (and Sir Derek Jacobi as the Master)

the television revival with RTD was then announced in September of that year and while Shalka aired it and any potential followups were then kind of quietly swept aside for the proper big telly return

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

LividLiquid posted:

Wait. Wait. Wait. Hold up.

Richard E. Grant played The Doctor?

What's the story there?

Once in The Curse of Fatal Death and once in Scream of the Shalka (both were during the interregnum)

efb with more info.

SecretOfSteel
Apr 29, 2007

The secret of steel has always
carried with it a mystery.

Homora Gaykemi posted:

first he appeared in The Curse of Fatal Death comedy sketch as one of its short lived Doctors in 1999

then in July of 2003, with the show looking unlikely to return, a webcast animation called Scream of the Shalka was announced for the 40th anniversary featuring Grant as the voice and likeness of the officially announced Ninth Doctor (and Sir Derek Jacobi as the Master)

the television revival with RTD was then announced in September of that year and while Shalka aired it and any potential followups were then kind of quietly swept aside for the proper big telly return

I'd love to see more of Jacobi as the Master, he's a great pick.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

A few years ago, I met Paul Cornell at a book signing, and told him that I'd rather enjoyed Scream of the Shalka. He replied "that's the first time in years anyone has ever mentioned Scream of the Shalka".

The Shalka Doctor is now an interesting historical footnote, like the Cushing Doctor.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

SecretOfSteel posted:

I'd love to see more of Jacobi as the Master, he's a great pick.

Big Finish have you covered!

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

The_Doctor posted:

Big Finish have you covered!

Ngl, scrolling from the previous post, I thought Big Finish were doing a series of Cushing Doctor stories.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Though if you guys are thinking about ordering some War Master, avoid the sets Nick Briggs worked on. His work on Anti-Genesis is where properly transitioned into an absolutely poo poo tier writer, and his other script isn't much better. Really sad to see this happen. Man needs to get his poo poo together IMO, between his writing and his behaviour he's started to become a total loving joke.

Get Master Of Callous if you're only getting one.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2Dost493po

New recurring character/maybe companion Vinder, played by Jacob Anderson, who might not be from present day Earth?!!?

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 25, 2021

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
That's certainly a teaser! In that it shows nothing, really.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I like the new logo.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Seems one of the time periods is 1900's Egypt if what Yaz is wearing is anything to go by when John Bishop prat falls

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
So, we had a regular season of Doctor Who in 2020, which did not go down well with fans, then an 18-month break, and now it's coming back in the autumn with a complete story spanning the entire season.

Do the BBC still have any shows where annoying teenagers from the Doctor Who fan club can tell the writer how crap he is? And is Jodie going be regenerated off-screen at the beginning of Series 14 (I hope not)?

Joking aside, I'm disappointed we're getting another companion character added to the mix - the last two seasons clearly showed that 3 companions is too much for this current style of Who, so I'm not sure why they decided to do it all over again. Plus I'm still disappointed we were denied a season of Yaz and the Doctor travelling around and having fun together!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
If reports are correct, Vinder is NOT a companion.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Zaroff posted:

So, we had a regular season of Doctor Who in 2020, which did not go down well with fans, then an 18-month break, and now it's coming back in the autumn with a complete story spanning the entire season.

Do the BBC still have any shows where annoying teenagers from the Doctor Who fan club can tell the writer how crap he is? And is Jodie going be regenerated off-screen at the beginning of Series 14 (I hope not)?

Joking aside, I'm disappointed we're getting another companion character added to the mix - the last two seasons clearly showed that 3 companions is too much for this current style of Who, so I'm not sure why they decided to do it all over again. Plus I'm still disappointed we were denied a season of Yaz and the Doctor travelling around and having fun together!

Hey, things are looking up for Yaz. She got two whole lines in that teaser, double most episodes!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Edward Mass posted:

If reports are correct, Vinder is NOT a companion.

He has a gun in the publicity photo. Kinda can assume from that.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Yaz barely has a character - Mandip Gil is trying, but there's nothing to make Yaz stand out.
If they take 13 in a more manipulative, chessmaster like direction, that could be fun. Have the Doctor dust off some of 7's old tricks.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh thank you sweet Jesus new Doctor Who content, the last few months I've known EXACTLY how Sara Kingdom felt as she crawled through the desert dying.

Zaroff posted:

Do the BBC still have any shows where annoying teenagers from the Doctor Who fan club can tell the writer how crap he is?

The BBC did one better and put one of the annoying teenagers from the Doctor Who fan club in charge of the show!

On a serious note though, no airdate? C'mon BBC you're killing me here :gonk:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

happyhippy posted:

He has a gun in the publicity photo. Kinda can assume from that.

The doctor wielding a slingshot! Not exactly a gun but certainly able to kill giants in one hit, curious what dire circumstances cause the doctor to take up arms there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Shooting little balled up wads of paper at Davros' forehead as he tries to make a big angry speech :allears:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

Remember the time the Fifth Doctor shot a Dalek mutant with a normal gun at point blank range several times?
Please no more 'surprise incarnations'. The War Doctor was wonderful, and Ruth was great, even if she ended up being a double edged sword in terms of storytelling, but 'could character x....be the Doctor?!' would get very tiring.

I listened to Robophobia and enjoyed it. It's been many years since I've seen Robots of Death, but I was able to pick it up quite quickly. Nicola Walker was wonderful as Liv, and I can see why they got her back as a regular. The Doctor is in full 'I know, but I'm not telling' mode, and I think 7 works best with a companion to give insight into his plans. Seven with no companion works best at stories set towards the end of his regeneration, where he's more weary and full of regrets, where he can be more introspective.

I haven't listened to many Hex stories, so I'm missing out on some context, but this one worked standalone. McCoy slyly pointing out the black TARDIS in the extras was hilarious too.

OldMemes fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 26, 2021

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So, what do we reckon? Season airing autumn this year, with seasonal regeneration special?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

So, what do we reckon? Season airing autumn this year, with seasonal regeneration special?

Filming started last November and they did eight episodes, so I'd guess an October premiere with a New Year's special, yeah.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Classic Doctor Who had every other person be the Master (Oh hi World Enough And Time, when did you get here) so I guess it makes sense for NuWho to do the same, but with the Doctor

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
As someone's who's loved doctor who (to varying degrees by the end of the rtd era) since 05 I really don't understand the absolute hate towards chibbnal. Like yea it's not the greatest but it feels so weirdly personal :(

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
I don't think anyone holds anything personal against Chibnall - it's just that he's not doing a good job running a TV show that we have enjoyed.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Homora Gaykemi posted:

I wonder if they ever considered him as the War Doctor.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

I don't think anyone holds anything personal against Chibnall - it's just that he's not doing a good job running a TV show that we have enjoyed.

Yeah, his casting has been really good and the show looks really nice, and he has some very laudable goals... but with rare exceptions his writing is generally mediocre to okay and I really, really wish he'd pull back vastly on how much of the writing for each season he seems to be doing. Also just dump the Timeless Child bullshit it's so loving stupid, even if it ends up being another twist/fakeout ala Moffat, I was already getting tired of that during Moffat's time in charge.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I think a lot of us are also very conscious of a certain type of fan who likes to attack the show for the sin of having A Woman in the lead role, and have accordingly focused criticism on the showrunner rather than the name of the show in general. "Chibnall sucks" is a lot quicker to type than "Doctor Who sucks but not the character Doctor Who, whom I of course know is actually called the Doctor, although she does actually suck but not because she's a woman, because the writing of her character has been very poor."

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

The_Doctor posted:

This sounds very probable, though I hope it won't come to that. It's about time to break with precedent and abandon the three-season rule since it doesn't account for progressively shorter seasons and longer breaks, and also it's a dumb rule anyway that's nowehere near the noble age-old tradition it's sometimes presented as (only Troughton and Davison followed it in the classic series anyway, and Tennant barely counts since he did a full year of specials after his third season, so it only really got codified with Smith/Capaldi).

Calling it now anyway: the regeneration special will be a team-up with Whittaker and Jo Martin, Martin will be revealed as the 14th Doctor, and the episode ends with Whittaker regenerating into Martin and getting brainwashed/amnesia'd by whatever Time Lord KGB she was supposed to be working for as well as Martin regenerating into whoever plays the 15th Doctor to star in the next series. That would be a pretty lovely way for Jodie to go, but at this point I would expect no less from Chibnall.

Confusedslight posted:

As someone's who's loved doctor who (to varying degrees by the end of the rtd era) since 05 I really don't understand the absolute hate towards chibbnal. Like yea it's not the greatest but it feels so weirdly personal :(

I wouldn't call it personal, but at least to me the Timeless Child poo poo represents a pretty serious breach against some of the core aspects why I think Doctor Who is a valuable thing. It's not that it's a bad story (though it is) or that it needlessly messes up continuity (though it does) or whatever; it's that before TC the Doctor was someone who distinquished herself from among her peers by her actions and will to do good, but after TC the Doctor is someone who is special by birth. Before, the message was that heroes are defined by their outward actions, and if you just want to do good you can be a hero too - what's the message now? That heroes are defined by their inward qualities, and if you're not born special, sorry? And yes, other writers have played with something like that in the Doctor's history before, but it's never been explicitly enshrined into the core of the character like it now has been. Yes, there's also still a chance it's a fakeout or there's something more to it than what we've seen, but it's still an idea that the show has presented us as something to be taken seriously, and it's a loving reprehensible idea that can't be taken back with a "lol jk" 18 months afterwards. It's also part of a really ugly trend of reactionary mythic hero bullshit that a lot of big franchises have regressed into (Rise of Skywalker being the most obvious example), and I'm sure I don't need to draw parallels to other ugly trends of reactionary bullshit prevalent in other walks of life. I don't think it's active malice or anything like that on Chibnall's part, but I really do think his take on the show and the character is destructive in a way that Moffat or RTD even at their worst never were.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Vinylshadow posted:

Classic Doctor Who had every other person be the Master (Oh hi World Enough And Time, when did you get here) so I guess it makes sense for NuWho to do the same, but with the Doctor

In the Pertwee run it was just Delgado in a hat, the "character turns out to be the Master, unbeknownst to the audience" was a Davison thing (Catrovalva, Time Flight, Kings Demons)

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Forktoss posted:

I wouldn't call it personal, but at least to me the Timeless Child poo poo represents a pretty serious breach against some of the core aspects why I think Doctor Who is a valuable thing. It's not that it's a bad story (though it is) or that it needlessly messes up continuity (though it does) or whatever; it's that before TC the Doctor was someone who distinquished herself from among her peers by her actions and will to do good, but after TC the Doctor is someone who is special by birth. Before, the message was that heroes are defined by their outward actions, and if you just want to do good you can be a hero too - what's the message now?

Doctor Who is great as a flawed godlike figures whose reputation and high charisma score are their greatest weapons. Just some semi-immortal alien person who got a time travelling spaceship and just go around the universe doing random acts of mostly good.

We really lose something when it goes from being exceptionally-empathetic person elevated to godlike status through deeds, to a natural demigod just from providence.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Chibnall went on British TV during the C. Baker era and basically slagged it off, so I don't feel a bit sorry for him that people are now saying his own run on the show has been largely terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Forktoss posted:

This sounds very probable, though I hope it won't come to that. It's about time to break with precedent and abandon the three-season rule since it doesn't account for progressively shorter seasons and longer breaks, and also it's a dumb rule anyway that's nowehere near the noble age-old tradition it's sometimes presented as (only Troughton and Davison followed it in the classic series anyway, and Tennant barely counts since he did a full year of specials after his third season, so it only really got codified with Smith/Capaldi).

Is that a 'rule' in any meaningful sense, or just something the fans came up with? Capaldi I could see wanting to do the role the rest of his life so maybe the BBC higher-ups eased him out the door, I don't know, but the other actors clearly wanted to move on and do other things. Especially with the increasingly-irregular schedule, taking on the role is pretty disruptive and means having to pass on a lot of other projects for a period of, what, five years for 3 seasons? During (what many would hope is) the prime of their career? I don't blame anyone for wanting to move on. And honestly, unless something radically changes behind the scenes, I can see fewer and fewer actors wanting to take up the role in the first place.

I expect there'll come a point where we just get a few long-form specials a year and that's it. I wouldn't mind so much if they'd just put some ambition into the premises and scripting but I'll bet they just settle further into some MCU-type formula. Grim.