Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Lolling at the dialogue and voice acting. “MOMMA MIA, it’s pulling us in!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

does a snake really kick a door

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Is it stable enough to play on ironman?

To be fair, I wouldn't call vanilla stable enough to play on ironman.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Statutory Ape posted:

I don't think I've actually seen it, she usually bangs the door open with a backhanded fist.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Saw someone melt down online over the kotaku article saying this type of f2p hero battler game is actually good and mobile gaming in general owns and everyone is just being elitist about it saying it's not a real game. Just an endless thread that yeah this game is actually cool and good and monetization is a tricky thing.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Saw someone melt down online over the kotaku article saying this type of f2p hero battler game is actually good and mobile gaming in general owns and everyone is just being elitist about it saying it's not a real game. Just an endless thread that yeah this game is actually cool and good and monetization is a tricky thing.

Thar she blows!

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Has anybody made a stargate mod for this game yet

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

ZearothK posted:

To be fair, I wouldn't call vanilla stable enough to play on ironman.

It's usually fine? Ironman is convenient so I don't have to remember to save, and anecdotally, I've only had 1 or 2 save ending bugs in my years of using it.

I also usually abandon games at some point because they turn into a slog of archons and andromedans, so I'm not really attached to my saves anyway.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President
Replaying WotC and wanted to ask—Has anyone figured out a crack way to organize their soldiers?

My first plan was to have 3 separate teams of the four base classes plus Psi Ops, and led by one of the WotC faction guys. Each was built around a general mission profile (fast moving, slow, & zombie wrangling). I ended up not liking this because, between injuries and Covert Ops, it was way too common for a couple of team members to be out of service and then the whole team couldn’t be sent. Then the Ironman bug ate my save and I decided to try again.

What I’ve got now is a pool of generic soldiers 2 or 3 deep for each class and built in the most bog-standard left-hand side upgrade path for each (long-distance snipers, grenadiers with lots of grenades, etc). Then I created one team of ‘Special Ops’ with snazzy uniforms and who are built with the opposing abilities, mostly (nobody has Blast Padding).

The second setup is working better, but I’m curious if anyone has any better ideas for how to keep people organized.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Statutory Ape posted:

no she shoulder checks it instead it's sad :[

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Obama 2012 posted:

Replaying WotC and wanted to ask—Has anyone figured out a crack way to organize their soldiers?

My first plan was to have 3 separate teams of the four base classes plus Psi Ops, and led by one of the WotC faction guys. Each was built around a general mission profile (fast moving, slow, & zombie wrangling). I ended up not liking this because, between injuries and Covert Ops, it was way too common for a couple of team members to be out of service and then the whole team couldn’t be sent. Then the Ironman bug ate my save and I decided to try again.

What I’ve got now is a pool of generic soldiers 2 or 3 deep for each class and built in the most bog-standard left-hand side upgrade path for each (long-distance snipers, grenadiers with lots of grenades, etc). Then I created one team of ‘Special Ops’ with snazzy uniforms and who are built with the opposing abilities, mostly (nobody has Blast Padding).

The second setup is working better, but I’m curious if anyone has any better ideas for how to keep people organized.

Well…Rangers, Grenadiers and Supports have optimal builds in vanilla. So it’s easy to color-code the regular guys and give the weirdo types their own outfits like you did.

Snipers can be long-range or gunslingers. So I give the gunslingers cowboy hats to distinguish.

Where it gets complicated is when you start using the training school to give people Xcom abilities, or if you’re using a mod like the RPG talent trees. I give them colorful names and outfits/backstories to help me remember them.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Statutory Ape posted:

Has anybody made a stargate mod for this game yet

there's a gun mod that has p-90s and one that adds jaffa forehead things. also some voicepacks for various characters.

seems like an obvious thing to license the engine out for though yea

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
Xcom is made in Unreal Engine so…the only thing lacking is will.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The classes write themselves. McNeil and Carter are both generic Shootmen, though I guess you could call Carter the Technician. Daniel Jackson as an Antropologist / Archaeologist, with skills around manipulating the environment. Teal'c as the big guy, with the heavy weapon staff. Tok'ra forces for a Reaper analogue, maybe the Ori and Atlanteans or whatever bullshit they get into near the end. Have Teal'c come in for some VA work. The man's in the game now, he has time. It sells itself. To me alone, yes, but it sells.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

https://clips.twitch.tv/PlacidOptimisticOstrichHumbleLife-kqjNEjZ-ACwFrtLL

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009

I’m pretty sure the ability that has sparks grant cover works for anyone adjacent to them, including enemies.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it does (it doesn't apply here though) but i'm more trying to highlight the way that axe just sailed off at a completely tangential angle like my character just lost his mind and threw it the wrong way entirely.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 22, 2021

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Zore posted:

It wasn't the last time I played though they have done a bunch of fixes in the last few months. Last communication from the devs on that was to wait for their imminent 1.0 release if you want to do ironman just because that's basically what they're focusing on now.

There's also enough edge case bullshit because of how they've pushed the systems that ironman probably isn't a great idea anyways imo. Like I've had Troop ambush missions where I ostensibly started concealed but the enemies spawned close enough to immediately activate before I moved which ended up being a combination of a number of factors etc.

Also the Chosen are utter horseshit right now, though they are thankfully being toned down patch after patch. The biggest issue is that the two main devs are 1) A dude who barely plays and mostly got roped in because he's good at coding and 2) A dude who is absolutely burned out on X2 and obsessed with making everything harder

Is there any source on those claims? I played LWOTC and it was absolute bullshit tier difficulty, so having the lead modder being a real tryhard explains a lot.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Can anyone speak on Long War of the Chosen here?

I played an early version mind you, but i found it pretty bloated. Seems like a huge undertaking to try and get all those systems working together coherently. I will say you get a lot of interesting character builds out of it thanks to the better perks/classes of longwar + the WOTC's AWC stuff

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

FrickenMoron posted:

Is there any source on those claims? I played LWOTC and it was absolute bullshit tier difficulty, so having the lead modder being a real tryhard explains a lot.

I hang out in their discord a lot and that stuff has been posted nearly verbatim.

Its a huge project that's taken tons of effort and coding and both of the main modders are just absolutely burned out at this point and by their own admission barely play/test things. That plus the fact that one of them is extremely on the train of 'Man I solved this poo poo, Ironman Impossible is easy baby stuff' keeps leading to them putting in changes that are brutally difficult/punishing then spending weeks or months walking them back after all the players point out how bullshit they are.

Like for a while the Chosen Sniper could get a new perk You Cannot Hide! which gave him +100% to hit at tier 4. He also got the Quickdraw, Faceoff and Fanfire. He could literally murder any single character in a turn with no real counterplay (because they also made him immune to most debuffs and gave them Ruler-lite reactions where they could move when they took damage) even stuff like a SPARK built specifically to tank.

All of that stuff ended up being removed or massively toned down over the next few versions, but its one example of how they just sort of keep throwing poo poo like that in

They're basically trying to finish out the 1.0 release and put it on Steam because tryhard dev wants to make a LWOTC-R in the same vein as Long War-R and just fundamentally change a bunch of the underlying systems (like removing the ability to do overwatch on units you can't see etc)

Zore fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 23, 2021

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I gave long war 1 a hundred hours before I realized I hated it. I think they're really talented designers but their idea of fun is very different from mine. Every time you think you're on top the curve the curve gets steeper, so there's always challenge (good) but no sense of accomplishment (I hate this part).

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I know we're just wired differently but I'll never understand how that can be fun. Even just a flawless impossible run sounds painfully boring because at that point you pretty much have to know the AI mechanics to such a level that the game just becomes sterile and you're just going through the motions. And then to add a bunch of bullshit on top of that is just excruciating.

I'm sure he'd find my playstyle of "do stupid thing because it'd be funny, immediately have to clean up the huge mess I made with no benefit" excruciating, but dang I'll never be able to get it

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Oh yeah, that's another reason they're probably burned out. The LWOTC devs aren't Pavonis and had nothing to do with the original mod, they're just people who wanted to update it for WOTC because Pavonis didn't. This also means they feel like they need to keep a lot of the design decisions from the original that they both don't like because they feel if they change too much it isn't Long War 2 anymore.

Its frankly fascinating and kind of amazing they've done as much as they have. They weren't the first group to try to port the mod but they're the only ones who've actually done all the work even if I disagree with some of their design principles.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
It's kind of a challenge inherent in new-X-Com style games - the gameplay is inherently a balance between your own massive power snowballing (level, researching, etc) and enemy massive power snowballing (new enemies, dark events, etc). If your power growth outstrips the enemy power growth, you get a game that rapidly becomes trivially easy (vanilla X-com and X-com 2 had this problem), while if the enemy power growth outstrips yours it gets brutally hard (LW1 and LW2 both pretty much had this issue).

Theoretically the two could be balanced perfectly, but of course the player's power growth varies based on how skilled the player is. Lose a soldier? That's your power growth permanently reduced. Flawless a mission? You grow faster. Thus I think X-com modding is inherently going to run into "the modders are better at this game than most of their players and thus can't balance it well" problems.

For what it's worth I play LWOTC on low difficulty settings and it seems to mostly cancel out.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 23, 2021

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

highly recommend the mods that give the player better UI tools for LW especially. theres a bunch of mods that let you know more about haven stats. not to mention gotcha again and preview LOS - absolutely essential

i'd honestly kill for a lwotc that was just a port of vanilla long war but in the more stable WOTC engine

Dongicus fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 23, 2021

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Dongicus posted:

i'd honestly kill for a lwotc that was just a port of vanilla long war but in the more stable WOTC engine

That's what it is now. I've been playing the most recent dev build all week, and I have not yet run into any game breaking BS yet. It's also significantly easier than the build I played back in January.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Danaru posted:

I know we're just wired differently but I'll never understand how that can be fun. Even just a flawless impossible run sounds painfully boring because at that point you pretty much have to know the AI mechanics to such a level that the game just becomes sterile and you're just going through the motions
haha yeah you'd think that right :shepicide:

the run we're doing on twitch is one where, between soulmata and i, we have something like a dozen grim horizon ironman impossible wins between us. we added something like two beers a stream and from a small number of very regrettable decisions made under the influence of alkeehol we've ended up with a very rollercoaster run that's seen us dump the turn timer restriction because poo poo is always so real.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Coolguye posted:

haha yeah you'd think that right :shepicide:

the run we're doing on twitch is one where, between soulmata and i, we have something like a dozen grim horizon ironman impossible wins between us. we added something like two beers a stream and from a small number of very regrettable decisions made under the influence of alkeehol we've ended up with a very rollercoaster run that's seen us dump the turn timer restriction because poo poo is always so real.

Now that's 100% my jam :v: I know I've said it before but my goal going into every mission is 1: Get the sniper up top 2: Improvise. XCOM should be all about chaos because the elders want order and we're better than that

Even playing Long War, I know the BEST option is to wait for the enemy to come to me so I get my full turn, but also I wanna go fast nyoom ah piss

E: Like for me, the platonic ideal of :xcom: is hitting the "YEAH I'M PRETTY SURE I JUST hosed THIS WHOLE PLAYTHROUGH" threshhold, then slowly recovering until you manage to not only complete the mission, but complete it without losing anyone permanently. THAT'S xcom to me :unsmith:

Danaru fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jul 24, 2021

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Danaru posted:

E: Like for me, the platonic ideal of :xcom: is hitting the "YEAH I'M PRETTY SURE I JUST hosed THIS WHOLE PLAYTHROUGH" threshhold, then slowly recovering until you manage to not only complete the mission, but complete it without losing anyone permanently. THAT'S xcom to me :unsmith:
i forget the details, but soul did one move after i blatantly warned him not to because he was drunk and was feeling contrary, and it cost us a particular mission.

this mission was to stop the Lost World dark event.

remember this is grim horizon.

that one bad decision locked us in to that insanely lovely card for the whole game.

but then it turned out to be kind of awesome because later on in a completely separate guerilla op the presence of the lost confused ADVENT so much that we actually saw a stunlancer use the butt of his gun on a lost brute.

i'm not joking: https://clips.twitch.tv/InterestingCreativeLemurCurseLit-XODBtrz0DQoexVQy

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
i haven't posted on this forum in ages but I need to complain that I'm playing Grim Horizon and have had the Chosen initiate 5 dark events with me being able to to do nothing about it.

I really hope the next Xcom has Dark Events but they are balanced in a better spot than the two options of 'basically irrelevant' and 'potentially game breaking forever'

EDIT: But I will also take this chance to recommend the Class Amalgamation mod if anyone wants to do another spin of Xcom 2. Its been very fun for me. It seems fairly well balanced to where you can get a lot of unique soldiers but none that I've had have been gamebreaking OP.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jul 24, 2021

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If any of you like classic Dos XCOM / TFTD and thought that being a bit too "normal", I had a friend make a randomizer mod. You can find it here:
https://openxcom.mod.io/oxce-randomizer?preview=f22d50f0d4182c4c934552c8f7c67f2b

Needs OpenXCOM enhanced and java environment runtime installed.

Randomized stuff:
- All armor values
- All weapon clip sizes / damage types / damage
- All alien / soldier stats
- Random sound being played every time a weapon is fired or someone dies

It's not in any way balanced or sensible, but pretty fun. Especially since explosion range is based on the ammo power, you can get DPL gas cannons.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Arven posted:

That's what it is now. I've been playing the most recent dev build all week, and I have not yet run into any game breaking BS yet. It's also significantly easier than the build I played back in January.

na i meant without all the chosen and lost.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Dongicus posted:

na i meant without all the chosen and lost.

You can disable both of them as options on startup.

You'll still have Purifiers and Specters integrated though. And some of the new WOTC maps and mission types repurposed in to LW.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

FrickenMoron posted:

If any of you like classic Dos XCOM / TFTD and thought that being a bit too "normal", I had a friend make a randomizer mod. You can find it here:
https://openxcom.mod.io/oxce-randomizer?preview=f22d50f0d4182c4c934552c8f7c67f2b

Needs OpenXCOM enhanced and java environment runtime installed.

Randomized stuff:
- All armor values
- All weapon clip sizes / damage types / damage
- All alien / soldier stats
- Random sound being played every time a weapon is fired or someone dies

It's not in any way balanced or sensible, but pretty fun. Especially since explosion range is based on the ammo power, you can get DPL gas cannons.

This mod is hidden.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Zore posted:

You can disable both of them as options on startup.

You'll still have Purifiers and Specters integrated though. And some of the new WOTC maps and mission types repurposed in to LW.

The lost are also way less annoying in LWOTC because they aren't in every mission and since you can pick and choose which missions you take you can avoid those missions if you don't feel like dealing with them for a particular objective type.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

Panzeh posted:

This mod is hidden.

My bad, he switched the mod to public / released now.

https://openxcom.mod.io/oxce-randomizer

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I want to play Xcom 2: wotc again but I already finished it on normal and then classic (professional? I can't remember) and got a little burned out by the end a couple of years ago. I want to play it again and for it to be fun. I don't think Long War sounds like a good time. Any fun mod recommendations? The changes don't have to be particularly big or game-breaking.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

redreader posted:

I want to play Xcom 2: wotc again but I already finished it on normal and then classic (professional? I can't remember) and got a little burned out by the end a couple of years ago. I want to play it again and for it to be fun. I don't think Long War sounds like a good time. Any fun mod recommendations? The changes don't have to be particularly big or game-breaking.

Go for one of the class revamps, and something like A Better Advent, or other mods that adds new enemies to the mix. The Hive is interesting for adding a buttload of Chryssalids of various types to the game.

For class revamps, the Long War classes are available as a separate mod, or the Proficiency classes are a popular setup.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
Phoneposting or I'd link some: there's mods out there that add more factions that can show up on the tactical map.
This ends up with some missions turning 4 way fights between XCOM, Advent, the Lost and then bandits/rogue chrysalids/chaos space marines/etc.
Not very balanced, pretty fun tho!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

redreader posted:

There is a 40k conversion that isn't super, but mixes up what enemies you face. So enemy squads are led by somebody who wants to stab you with a sword. Bring more shred than you usually would and seriously consider using the armor included in the mod.