Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

I recently came across a Yahoo Japan news link and there were over 1000 comments. I guess Yahoo still get traffic over there.

Yeah, it's weird. It's basically Google over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/AmazingJ_TV/status/1417173010889383949

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
no Grundrisse? gently caress off

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
how could he not include Three Body Problem, the only Chinese book I know that was written in the past 50 years

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Yahoo Japan is literally a separate company and maintains relevance in the Japanese market, interestingly enough.

Junkozeyne posted:

When the carrier sailed in may they had 18 F35 on board, 10 of which belong to the USMC. China is not exactly quaking in fear of the mighty british navy

TBH this is one of those things where a few high-end aircraft could probably run all over superior numbers in the right circumstances (or, maybe do nothing at all), and while strategically it may not matter much, if something really dumb happens, losing ~30 aircraft to a few brits would probably be such a bloody nose to the powers that be in china from a domestic standpoint that it's a not unreasonable deterrent in the right circumstances.

Obviously this is approaching some Tom Clancy poo poo in the end, but a couple squads of modern aircraft is not *nothing* from a pressure standpoint.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

This list sucks lol

Also seeing Malthus and Friedman on here is kind of insane

Grapplejack has issued a correction as of 16:58 on Jul 21, 2021

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yahoo Japan is literally a separate company and maintains relevance in the Japanese market, interestingly enough.

TBH this is one of those things where a few high-end aircraft could probably run all over superior numbers in the right circumstances (or, maybe do nothing at all), and while strategically it may not matter much, if something really dumb happens, losing ~30 aircraft to a few brits would probably be such a bloody nose to the powers that be in china from a domestic standpoint that it's a not unreasonable deterrent in the right circumstances.

Obviously this is approaching some Tom Clancy poo poo in the end, but a couple squads of modern aircraft is not *nothing* from a pressure standpoint.

All it takes is a single submarine to sink that carrier.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

All it takes is a single submarine to sink that carrier.

That's why I was surprised. It's like 40% of their force projection and they're going to stick it in semi-hostile waters with limited support

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/MaxBlumenthal/status/1417755889524789250?s=20

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The F 35b is especially awkward because it is short ranged even for a carrier based fighter which means for a carrier to be in combat it would have to put itself well into the range of anti ship missiles and other fighters.

The British carriers are weird beasts because they are setup for essentially for supporting amphibious forces but are being forced into a main fleet role.

Some of it may be that the third Chinese carrier may launch sooner than anticipated, and the US wants to maintain raw numerical superiority even though it will be a few years before the carrier completes trials. That said, between calling in a bunch of the remaining operational F-22s and a British carrier, the US is really seems to be reaching into the drawer.

------

Well, Batka's birthday is in August so I guess Tsikhanouskaya wanted to start early by giving him a present. (It is signaling the Belarussian opposition has actually given up and the focus is now on trying to ruin the country's economy for raw geopolitical advantage.)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:28 on Jul 21, 2021

Antonymous
Apr 4, 2009

PhilippAchtel posted:

So, the dumb gently caress couldn't even spend the half a minute of effort it would take to get the right word for "Fire!"

if you can read chinese, the cartoon wasn't made for you

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

PhilippAchtel posted:

So, the dumb gently caress couldn't even spend the half a minute of effort it would take to get the right word for "Fire!"

Antonymous posted:

lmao at nitpicking that of all things in a garrison cartoon

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

gradenko_2000 posted:

dont be an elitist nerd about it

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Grapplejack posted:

This list sucks lol

Also seeing Malthus and Friedman on here is kind of insane

how is reading and trying to understand the most influential vulgar economists a bad thing?

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
what is even the point of trying to gently caress up Belarus's economy? is it just to gently caress with a smaller russian ally? do we think we'll madian flip them and be able to station missiles there? us foreign policy is so loving deranged

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

mcclay posted:

what is even the point of trying to gently caress up Belarus's economy? is it just to gently caress with a smaller russian ally? do we think we'll madian flip them and be able to station missiles there? us foreign policy is so loving deranged

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Antonymous posted:

It's pretty drat funny because 火 has a new meaning of "trending" in Chinese.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

That's why I was surprised. It's like 40% of their force projection and they're going to stick it in semi-hostile waters with limited support

It's not just a single carrier

https://mobile.twitter.com/smrmoorhouse/status/1377548704773767169

But there's never going to be a situation where a single torpedo won't have a chance to sink it. It might as well never sail out of the port if that's a concern.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

It's pretty drat funny because 火 has a new meaning of "trending" in Chinese.

Ah so just like English then where kids keep calling everything "fire" these days.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

mcclay posted:

its in the belt and road initiative and entryway to europe

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Lostconfused posted:

It's not just a single carrier

https://mobile.twitter.com/smrmoorhouse/status/1377548704773767169

But there's never going to be a situation where a single torpedo won't have a chance to sink it. It might as well never sail out of the port if that's a concern.

It's almost like a purely performative show for all the red faced gammons on the home island.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

They poked Crimean waters with a destroyer and it wasn't sunk. Feels inevitable they'll try to do the same with a bigger ship to a more serious country.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

The British fleet sails through the South China Sea
But what is this? Guided missiles scream into their targets!
A single tear rolls down Boris Johnson’s cheek
He signs a treaty granting the PRC exclusive rights
to distribute crystal meth in England

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

mcclay posted:

I just finished Parent's "To Kill A Nation". Third-worldization (via sanctions, IMF hell-loans, or flat out bombing) destroys state and/or local owned production/utilities/resources/etc, and US/EU/NATO can then offer desperately needed money contingent on letting the previously mentioned entities have ultimately control and let's multinational private companies and conglomerates take root and start siphoning off profits. Third-worldization means high unemployment rate, which further plummets wages so now you have a new pool of low-wage workers in the locality for your newly roosted multinational or to ship elsewhere where immigrant/migrant worker rights are horrendous. I would suspect Belarus is just another country in the long-list of former Soviet Union countries that US/EU just can't resist to import "market freedom" and "democracy"

they need the littlest excuse or will just flat out lie (like in dismantling Yugoslavia)

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

genericnick posted:

They poked Crimean waters with a destroyer and it wasn't sunk. Feels inevitable they'll try to do the same with a bigger ship to a more serious country.

They had warning shots fired at them and the Chinese will do the same.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

LimburgLimbo posted:

reminds me of when I went to China and found Lawson’s all over the place and then learned it was a huge multi billion dollar company in japan, while being from northeastern Ohio I mostly knew it as being that store boomers are nostalgic for for being a better version of circle k

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's almost like a purely performative show for all the red faced gammons on the home island.

https://twitter.com/smrmoorhouse/status/1402961046973845506

They were also hanging around north Africa with a French carrier, and then did the same with Italy.

I dunno, it just looks like NATO pals hanging out and maybe thinking about bombing some people in the third world.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Lostconfused posted:

https://twitter.com/smrmoorhouse/status/1402961046973845506

They were also hanging around north Africa with a French carrier, and then did the same with Italy.

I dunno, it just looks like NATO pals hanging out and maybe thinking about bombing some people in the third world.

how gauche

only one of these vehicles saves lives. the dove...

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

mawarannahr posted:

how gauche

only one of these vehicles saves lives. the dove...

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Belarus must be absorbed into the European Union

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Is there any publicly available evidence of these hack attacks by China or Russia? I know the media is just taking the government’s word, but is there anything I can look at?

https://apnews.com/article/microsoft-exchange-hack-biden-china-d533f5361cbc3374fdea58d3fb059f35 posted:

Meanwhile, the Justice Department on Monday announced charges against four Chinese nationals who prosecutors said were working with the MSS in a hacking campaign that targeted dozens of computer systems, including companies, universities and government entities. The defendants are accused of targeting trade secrets and confidential business information, including scientific technologies and infectious-disease research.

Would the evidence presented in the charges be publicly available?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/sarahemclaugh/status/1417849777493057538

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1417825988654866433
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1417837836259233793
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1417838003658141701
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedNews/status/1417838238442663941

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Lostconfused posted:

fleet in being wins again losers!

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

lol remember when the trump admin gave a shitload of money to Kodak to make vaccines even though they have nothing to do with vaccine production? fun times

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

I keep remembering how funny the trump days were, but its better that hes gone.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

China must be investigated.

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

1-in-25? drat that's horrible.

*discreetly kicks binder labelled "african american incarceration rates" under a sofa*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zmej
Nov 6, 2005

buzzfeed listicle of our favorite concentration camps

the writer Megha disable replies when she tweeted out her story lol, coward. buzzfeed's first pulitzer prize for copying and pasting nat sec blob muck, playing around in google maps, and drawing what imaginary cells look in another country. gee where can we see what interment camps look like... no one look towards the US southern border