Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Party Boat posted:

Immortal Hulk #50 is coming in October weighing in at EIGHTY PAGES. So uh I guess that's how they're going to have space to wrap everything up

:yeshaha: Every series creeps closer to doing last issues like Fables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
So with that, the specials and Gamma Flight, Al really meant he had like 65 issues of story

ilikedirt
Oct 15, 2004

king of posting
That doom miniseries is good because he 100% acted in character and that ending is good

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'd just like to say, Marvel is cool.

Now I kvetch, mildy anyway. I see the solicitations for "The Death of Dr. Strange", it's like they never learn. Just creatively not that interesting, and I wonder if it'll really excite people as a concept. It's fun how in the X-books they're just lampooning character deaths with their resurrection tech too.

I'm still cool with characters getting killed, even if it's just for a year or two, once in a while, for story purposes. But the marketing, the silliness, selling it as an event every time it happens. Like it's still the early 90s, and not in the cool MTV kind of way with Stone Temple Pilots and stuff. Couldn't it be done Kirkman style, just turn the page and Dr. Strange is dead? (Kirkman famously loves to kill Dr. Strange*)

I know it's almost a moot point since you'd see it as headlines on every comic news site etc anyway. But it would just be cooler. I just find it a little nutty that they do the same gimmicks that nobody has been jazzed about in a long time. This is gonna make "The Death of Wolverine" look like Death of a Salesman.

Just creatively, if you want to sell a Dr. Strange event, sell it with a cool hook. And let the story do the talking. That he is pre-booked to "die" in the story is probably the least interesting thing about the story, if it's any good. How about "The Strange Mega Odyssey" or something. "Dr. Strange's Wild Ride - coming this summer", just some ideas here.

It just is like, I dunno, why is this the main thing that gets a character in the comic news? Surely from Marvel/DC at least, this kind of non-news reads as a bit silly? And if it's a headline for an indie book where they're really dead, I'd be annoyed at the spoiler. It's just not good to hear it heralded that "Death is coming for this dude in the comic book! Go buy it!", it is in a nutshell one of the lamer aspects of our hobby, artistically speaking.

(* Kirkman has not been given the opportunity to kill Dr. Strange)

(This is another ramble about something that doesn't actually affect me, I don't read Dr. Strange. I'm hoping to get paid by collider or something for this ramble. I don't know why it's so long either.)

You know what is cool though, speaking of Immortal Hulk. How Al Ewing still writes Judge Dredd from time to time, he's got a story coming up in the 2000AD Free Comic Book Day 2021 issue.

Here's another topic, the 50 issue run. I find it a little too bad that a run of a cool team or writer often goes only that long, or shorter. 50 is a nice chunk, me and my brother call that "A Darkhawk", 50 issues is one Darkhawk. That's how you know you had a respectable run. But it's just barely long enough to hit the spot, I'd like 70 or 100 issues, let's get loose here, let's unpack our bags.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jul 19, 2021

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The end of Immortal Hulk is going to gently caress up me, I just know it. This run start to finish has been one of the wildest most creatively hosed up things I’ve read and it’s going to be a long time before anything comes close to it. And it’s a comic about the hulk!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The person writing Death of Doctor Strange has a pretty great track record with his writing and is a frequent poster in this thread. So I have faith it'll be a another good book because everything he's done for Marvel has been pretty drat good. Of course we all know he only took the job so he could write more Bats and who wouldn't? Bats is the best.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The only way I could be disappointed in the book if it is not in fact a secret launching point for a Bats The Ghost Dog ongoing.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

X-O posted:

The person writing Death of Doctor Strange has a pretty great track record with his writing and is a frequent poster in this thread. So I have faith it'll be a another good book because everything he's done for Marvel has been pretty drat good. Of course we all know he only took the job so he could write more Bats and who wouldn't? Bats is the best.

That's unexpected, small world! Pretty cool.

Scoops? Any scoops for the goons? We're trustworthy. This won't end up on the BleedingCool or whatever, we're hush hush like Danny Devito.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rich Johnston used to post here. He still probably reads it or has someone else read it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on. I'm sure a google robot will post our scoops on CNN even without a human reading this. So post the scoops in code. If you reference Sonic the Hedgehog, we know things are going well. If it's tough going, work Luigi into your post.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 19, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Re: Death of Dr. Strange: There's also ads for an Ewing written Defenders with Strange that's supposed to spin straight out from Immortal Hulk.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Now that I think about it, and considering what we now know the nature of the Hulk to be and it’s connection to super-natural entities like the One-Below-All, Doctor Strange has been strangely absent from Immortal Hulk,

Unless I completely missed it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Nilbop posted:

Now that I think about it, and considering what we now know the nature of the Hulk to be and it’s connection to super-natural entities like the One-Below-All, Doctor Strange has been strangely absent from Immortal Hulk,

Unless I completely missed it.

One of the one shots had a redneck rear end in a top hat find the Eye and abuse it's power to unveil hidden truths, and then when he tried to use it on Banner, it brought the Devil out during the daytime to punish him. I think that was part of a Defenders themed event

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Gaz-L posted:

One of the one shots had a redneck rear end in a top hat find the Eye and abuse it's power to unveil hidden truths, and then when he tried to use it on Banner, it brought the Devil out during the daytime to punish him. I think that was part of a Defenders themed event

The Defenders: The Best Defense

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Hey go get Moon Knight #1 today

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

This some of that superliminal advertising?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

OK sir. That was pretty loving good.

"Contradictions are nothing new for me"

That whole exchange sold me.

Pro use of Vermin as well. Not someone you see brought out often. And let's not even get into putting 8 Ball into it. You know my stance on 8 Ball.

X-O fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Jul 21, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
This weeks Captain Marvel was really good. The main story was fun and the side story was very wholesome.

Doctor Strange is a giant jerk.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Moon Knight is quite good. Come for the appearance of 8-Ball, stay for like everything else.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm ready for Moon Knight to be good again.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Party Boat posted:

Your time has arrived.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I dunno, does it guest star Wolverine or have a foil cover?

(Preordered, and excited to grab it later)

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
Vampires as an MLM tickles me just right

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Balon posted:

Vampires as an MLM tickles me just right

came here to say this

moon knight is good! it's a very different sort of story from the other moon knight series I've read in that it seems to be more focused on what Moon knight's relationship to Konshu and his duty is. i remember lemire's run as really foregrounding the mental health aspects which are still here but seem to be less important.

are we going to get to see moon knight attend yom kippur services with the thing? that's all I'm really here for.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I love that there is someone working for Marvel who has the same appreciation for obscure Fabien Niciesza Supporting Character Andi Sterman as I do

Seriously, a trained psychiatrist who understands the world of costumed superheroes and used to work for the federal government as a researcher and SHIELD and the V-Battalion? Lady needs her own book. Thjis'll do in the meantime, though.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

It's quite good, it builds on his past instead of trying to wipe it away, like most other writers have done..

I can actually see vampires wanting to build pyramid schemes, seeing how much free time they have..

Also glad you kept Brooks Brothers Knight, it makes him a lot more approachable than Bleached Batman outfit.

Excellent artists you were pared with too..

Hey think you might wanna bring back Scarlett one more time? Interesting character..

Marc needs to continue to protect travellers by night, because no other hero really does..

Also great how he keeps an encyclopedic memory of possible foes, it helps avoid underestimating his foes or getting into cliched misunderstanding fights.. he lets Vermin know right away, he's willing to leave him alone if he leaves his 'flock' alone.. a refreshing and much more realistic approach than beating villains to near death.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jul 21, 2021

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Just a heads up, Comixology is having a sale on The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl and Moon Knight graphic novels. Sale ends July 22nd.

Also seconding this:

cant cook creole bream posted:

This weeks Captain Marvel was really good. The main story was fun and the side story was very wholesome.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I can recommend the Epic collection stuff if you like older comics and the Ellis book if you're willing to buy an Ellis book. Most of the other stuff I liked but it's hard to just make a blind recommendation for.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
In the World of Darkness, vampires were by design a pyramid scheme, since once you get strong enough you can only drink blood from other vampires.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Squirrel Girl rules, so getting those on sale is great. It is definitely the first sale they have done where I already owned all of them digitally.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I love that there is someone working for Marvel who has the same appreciation for obscure Fabien Niciesza Supporting Character Andi Sterman as I do

Seriously, a trained psychiatrist who understands the world of costumed superheroes and used to work for the federal government as a researcher and SHIELD and the V-Battalion? Lady needs her own book. Thjis'll do in the meantime, though.

Right on, that's fun continuity.

Binary Badger posted:

I can actually see vampires wanting to build pyramid schemes, seeing how much free time they have..

Also glad you kept Brooks Brothers Knight, it makes him a lot more approachable than Bleached Batman outfit.

For me, that look doesn't light my fire. It kind of reads as too Grant Morrison X-Men, aiming to be hip and normal looking etc. Now, if he had a look a la The Dude, then I'd be into it. Or a Hawaiian shirt like Chuckles from GI Joe/Cobra. Too formal for me, this Moon Knight guy. Here's a dapper guy I think pulls it off, it's all in the attitude.

Vampires though, I like vampires.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 22, 2021

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Party Boat posted:

I would argue that it hasn't been bad for a while except for that time Aaron made him go crazy(er) and take over NYC. But then I get that not a lot of people were as down with the last few runs as me.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Read the 30 year anniversary Darkhawk. I liked it. I thought they did a good job of capturing the evolving tone of Darkhawk. It also sort of felt like an appropriate wrap for the character (as little as I believe anyone who falls into a space portal is dead) and a nice set up for who wears the armor next. “Well I wasn’t that great at being a hero but maybe the next one to use this crystal will learn from my mistakes” (to paraphrase) is pretty appropriate.

This lead me into seeing what other Darkhawk stuff was on Unlimited. Not much. But The Loners was up. There are several “yikes” things written about and put into Japanese character’s mouths in it, especially for a 2007 comic when there really wasn’t much excuse. The series was a rare hate read for me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Rick posted:

This lead me into seeing what other Darkhawk stuff was on Unlimited. Not much. But The Loners was up. There are several “yikes” things written about and put into Japanese character’s mouths in it, especially for a 2007 comic when there really wasn’t much excuse. The series was a rare hate read for me.

Given it was written by the honorable Yoshida-sama this is not surprising. Cebulski was never a great writer but on top of that he clearly thinks he "gets" Japanese people in the way only white privilege thinks it can.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

Given it was written by the honorable Yoshida-sama this is not surprising. Cebulski was never a great writer but on top of that he clearly thinks he "gets" Japanese people in the way only white privilege thinks it can.

Bendis has many flaws, but he's at least pretty good about this. Honestly, he probably errs too cautious, seeing as Miles Morales basically never dropped any Spanglish while Bendis wrote him, which seems odd for a Latinx kid from Brooklyn.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

Without even checking I just knew that fucker was behind it.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Thanks for picking it up, everyone. The team appreciates the support!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Sterman really was a primo find in the Marvel dustbin- I first came across her when I was writing Daughters of the Dragon and needed a mental health professional for it (which is why she mentions Rutherford Winner as one of her patients) and she was a natural fit for the Moon Knight supporting cast.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dawgstar posted:

There is a conflict resolved when one woman sees her opponent is also Japanese and next thing you know the conflict is resolved by them bowing at each other.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Sterman really was a primo find in the Marvel dustbin- I first came across her when I was writing Daughters of the Dragon and needed a mental health professional for it (which is why she mentions Rutherford Winner as one of her patients) and she was a natural fit for the Moon Knight supporting cast.

Nicieza's work is usually great to pull supporting cast from because he had a track history, at Marvel, of building rich and interesting supporting casts that no one was interested in using but him, heh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I have been wondering what Briar Raleigh is up to in the middle of all this Krakoa stuff.