Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Trip report, Universal parking and entrance worse than any dmv
2 hour line to get in

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jul 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Wow really? I’ve always just drove right in except for during Halloween horror nights.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Junkie Disease posted:

Trip report, Universal parking and entrance worse than any dmv
2 hour line to get in

Yup, it’s weird. Weekdays are busier than weekends now at Universal. Also this NEVER used to happen. For years I would park at the CityWalk parking for work and it never happened, not even on Christmas week. I believe this is possibly Universal’s busiest summer ever. I also think a few factors are at play:

- More people drove this summer to Orlando than ever have.
- People are arriving in Orlando with no plans and finding out Disney is booked.
- They fear Universal will reach capacity too so everyone shows up at the same time. Note: Universal is not enforcing any limited capacity.

In general throughout Orlando, this summer is way busier than I’ve ever seen it. The parks are slammed, tourist traffic is insane, the grocery stores and restaurants around the parks are slammed. It’s nuts.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Yup, it’s weird. Weekdays are busier than weekends now at Universal. Also this NEVER used to happen. For years I would park at the CityWalk parking for work and it never happened, not even on Christmas week. I believe this is possibly Universal’s busiest summer ever. I also think a few factors are at play:

- More people drove this summer to Orlando than ever have.
- People are arriving in Orlando with no plans and finding out Disney is booked.
- They fear Universal will reach capacity too so everyone shows up at the same time. Note: Universal is not enforcing any limited capacity.
- Rick DeSantis is lining some pocketbooks.

In general throughout Orlando, this summer is way busier than I’ve ever seen it. The parks are slammed, tourist traffic is insane, the grocery stores and restaurants around the parks are slammed. It’s nuts.

ftfy

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Well, yeah

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Show reopening announced for next month but Happily Ever After is officially shutting down on Sept 29 and I’m honestly so sad over it. Especially since I was coming in on Sept 30 specifically to see it before the Oct 1 changeover.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Behind The Attraction came out today. It's not bad, but it seems like something you'd see on a channel at the resorts. Wanted Imagineering Story level but this ain't it

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Why they thought to ruin that rastered 1950s footage with the stupid border is mind boddling

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Really curious what replaces HEA cause that's the best fireworks show Disney has done so yet. It was really just Wishes 2.0 though, so I hope this goes in a very different direction than just more of the same.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I was hopeful for The Imagineering Story, but after the first or maybe second episode it kind of started to seem like filler. They didn't spend enough time on Epcot and instead mostly skipped it to cover Tokyo Disneyland. Then the rest felt like marketing for the more recent stuff. Still, those first two episodes were great. I had no idea there was so much film footage of opening day and early Disneyland.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Bottom Liner posted:

Really curious what replaces HEA cause that's the best fireworks show Disney has done so yet. It was really just Wishes 2.0 though, so I hope this goes in a very different direction than just more of the same.

Not a ton of detail yet. Should be cool though

https://blogmickey.com/2021/06/disney-enchantment-nighttime-show-coming-to-magic-kingdom-october-1st/

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Someone pointed out that the MSEP glowed away, like, 30 times, so I'm somewhat hopeful that after Enchantment finishes its run for the 50th they'll bring it back with plussed up main street projection effects.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Anya posted:

Show reopening announced for next month but Happily Ever After is officially shutting down on Sept 29 and I’m honestly so sad over it. Especially since I was coming in on Sept 30 specifically to see it before the Oct 1 changeover.

I wonder if they bring it back.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I thought honestly it would be back after the 50th celebration. (2023) but why kill it? It’s beloved.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Trader Sam's at the Polynesian is officially back open!

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

chitoryu12 posted:

Trader Sam's at the Polynesian is officially back open!

I watched Paging Mr Morrow/Nate’s YouTube video yesterday and I’m pretty sure every vlogger in Central Florida was there.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 22, 2021

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

OK yeah update the team that made The Toys That Made Us did Behind The Attraction and that makes too much sense. The editing is loving terrible.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

skipdogg posted:

I watched Paging Mr Morrow/Nate’s YouTube video yesterday and I’m pretty sure every vlogger in Central Florida was there.

Any time ANYTHING opens or re-opens, the vlogger brigade shows up. Even for a new restroom. It's pathetic.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Any time ANYTHING opens or re-opens, the vlogger brigade shows up. Even for a new restroom. It's pathetic.

BREAKING NEWS: New screws installed for bathroom door hinges in the men’s room by Space Mountain.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

skipdogg posted:

if people didn't watch vloggers, there would be no vloggers :shobon:

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.

alg posted:

if people didn't watch vloggers, there would be no vloggers :shobon:

The hundreds of vloggers with 20 views beg to differ.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Jose Oquendo posted:

BREAKING NEWS: New screws installed for bathroom door hinges in the men’s room by Space Mountain.

ryno is just shown licking them.

darkspider42 posted:

The hundreds of vloggers with 20 views beg to differ.

they all wanna be the next tim tracker but they're too cowardly to shove covid up their baby's nose *headshake*

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://insidethemagic.net/2021/07/universal-security-line-ad1/

fuuuuuck being in a crowd like that right now.

Atricks
Nov 5, 2003
Hurricane Man

On Busy Days (pretty much this entire summer) 9:30 until about noon is always nuts getting in. Before or after that it's easy. If you are getting dropped off, better to go to the Hard Rock Hotel and walk.

Crini
Sep 2, 2011

Jose Oquendo posted:

Disney’s switch from Pin Torx head screws in the stall hinges to Clutch head screws of the past is the final straw for me. Walt’s vision for men’s room stall doors was clear and Disney leadership has trampled all over it.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Moved our January trip over to Port Orleans French Quarter. I plan on being at least 15% beignet by weight when we leave.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Florida Accounts For 20% Of All New COVID-19 Infections. Florida’s COVID-19 surge continues, adds 73,199 cases in week.

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2021/07/16/florida-covid-19/

:dumbbravo:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Florida Accounts For 20% Of All New COVID-19 Infections. Florida’s COVID-19 surge continues, adds 73,199 cases in week.

https://miami.cbslocal.com/2021/07/16/florida-covid-19/

:dumbbravo:

I'm positive the post with 9 trillion people crammed in getting ready to go to universal has absolutely nothing to do with it, too.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

we're starting to get really worried about our trip for the 50th

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

alg posted:

Go. Go and die with the rest of us. May our blood stain the carpet of Carousel of Progress forever. :911:

For real though both my hospice dogs are dead and gone, I could go, and boom; covidmania is hotter than ever. I cancelled my Oct 1st reservations today in the hope that my mid-Nov reservations might actually happen, but I'm doubting it.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

alg posted:

They might reinstate some restrictions, but I doubt they'll completely close down. At this point the company really can't afford to, and DeSantis isn't going to be the guy who forces it on them.

If they do decide to, you probably get more by them asking you to reschedule then you taking the initiative to.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

https://twitter.com/Blog_Mickey/status/1419695215154192384?s=20

Me and the replies to this tweet:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
At this point I'm just holding off with any visits to Florida indefinitely until either they do something to get it out of control (seems increasingly unlikely) or literally every unvaccinated person there gets infected (starting to seem more and more possible).

Edit: They're at a positivity rate of 15% statewide and the delta variant has an R0 of 5-8, so it really could be literally the entire state within a month or two.

Edit edit: On the upside(?), at this rate it'll probably be resolved one way or the other by Thanksgiving at the latest.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 26, 2021

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Looking at the recent trends from the UK, which is a few weeks ahead of us with Delta, we will see it peak any day now and just as quickly start dropping, if their trend lines are any indication.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Also if you're vaccinated, you have little or nothing to worry about.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

Also if you're vaccinated, you have little or nothing to worry about.

Two-shot pfizer is 80% effective against asymptomatic, 88% against symptomatic, 96% against hospitalizations. That's a 1 in 5 chance of getting a case you could easily spread to unvaccinated (or unlucky, vaccinated) people around you. 1.2 in 10 chance you get sick as hell for a week or two + you could spread to unvaccinated (or unlucky, vaccinated) people. There is also the chance of developing long covid (best as I know the odds of this are unknown). These seem like outcomes worth preventing by being cautious even if you are vaccinated. Keep in mind that delta can transmit in seconds.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dren posted:

Two-shot pfizer is 80% effective against asymptomatic, 88% against symptomatic, 96% against hospitalizations. That's a 1 in 5 chance of getting a case you could easily spread to unvaccinated (or unlucky, vaccinated) people around you. 1.2 in 10 chance you get sick as hell for a week or two + you could spread to unvaccinated (or unlucky, vaccinated) people. There is also the chance of developing long covid (best as I know the odds of this are unknown). These seem like outcomes worth preventing by being cautious even if you are vaccinated. Keep in mind that delta can transmit in seconds.

Those are not the numbers the CDC has.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

couldcareless posted:

Looking at the recent trends from the UK, which is a few weeks ahead of us with Delta, we will see it peak any day now and just as quickly start dropping, if their trend lines are any indication.

The UK is 70% fully vaccinated for adults, Florida's only at 46%.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

this is 2 month old data, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

alg posted:

this is 2 month old data, though

Yes, they haven't collected and verified enough data to update it since. You can find pre-prints that say just about anything.