Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
CAGE VS STARKS 22 18.33%
CAGE VS HARDY 7 5.83%
PAGE VS DARBY 61 50.83%
THE MAGICAL GIRL VS THE BAD GIRL 11 9.17%
MOX VS KARL 13 10.83%
SAM VS WHEELER 6 5.00%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I love Punk's work and was a fan of his for years. The Colt stuff really stinks (and it STUNK) and soured me on him a bit, but even taking that out of the equation I don't know that AEW needs him at this point. Would it be fun to hear Cult of Personality or Miseria Cantare at an AEW show? Of course. Would the crowd (probably in Chicago) go nuts? Sure. But then what? I'm not inherently anti-old-guy but AEW has such a deep and great roster that they don't NEED a CM Punk to help them or boost legitimacy or anything.

Maybe he can do a couple of matches then do commentary on Rampage. He seemed pretty good at commentary the couple of times he did that in WWE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Not really getting the Punk hate all of a sudden.

He got always badded after the colt drama and ufc disaster

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

enigmahfc posted:

I was not watching wrestling at that time, so I do not care about CM Punk. Should I?

I stopped watching wrestling shortly after Punk did his shoot promo on RAW... 2011? That was amazing but after that I barely watched wrestling besides a random video or keeping up with some of the new guys like Dean Ambrose and so. Early 2020 AEW got me hooked up.

CM Punk is a draw. Does AEW need him wrestling? Definately not. But he is a ratings booster and can be good for the company. I don't care about him much nowadays but not gonna lie, if he signs, It'll put a smile on my face, same when Paul, Christian and Mark Henry signed. They're all great assets for AEW outside the ring and they are known faces for wrestling fans.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Do we know what kind of ratings bump he gave WWE Backstage last year when they trotted him out? Just to calibrate expectations

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Ok hear me out...

Team Punk Vs Team Taz

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Do we know what kind of ratings bump he gave WWE Backstage last year when they trotted him out? Just to calibrate expectations

not a real comparison

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

blunt posted:

Ok hear me out...

Team Punk Vs Team Taz

Yes, but also for no reason, both are on commentary for Dark with Excalibur and are just allowed to go wild.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

CM Punk and Excalibur would probably be a good announce desk in a few years if we didn’t already have the option of Excalibur and Taz as the future of the business.

I’m not very interested in seeing him wrestle but I’m also not vehemently opposed to it, and it would definitely move the needle with casual fans if not in an “oh boy everyone tunes in to see CM Punk wrestle a MOTY candidate” way then absolutely in a “some guy who very publicly told WWE to gently caress off is doing something in wrestling again, that might be good TV because he could fire some live rounds” way.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I agree with people on here that I'm not excited for Punk nearly the same way I am for DB, Tony Khan would be insane NOT to sign his rear end.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Not really getting the Punk hate all of a sudden.

It's not that sudden. It's the result of years of:

tao of lmao posted:

He got always badded after the colt drama and ufc disaster

where he did manage to do a one-two punch of things to make him a punchline to psp.

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

I can’t think of anyone who I should like who’s made it harder to like than Punk. I mean I’m sure I could talk music with him for hours.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I swear to God, you guys are going to make my head explode if we do this "ehhhhhhh but does AEW really neeeeeeed him?" thing every single time somebody becomes available. :cripes:

THE ANSWER IS ALWAYS YES.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Quantum of Phallus posted:

not a real comparison

Sure it is. If the appearance of Diet Austin Aries is this automatic ticket to drawing in all the lapsed fans as people have claimed repeatedly, then surely he got a bump when he appeared last year.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

if his music hits and he comes out ill do the oh shitttttt oh my god face and get up out of my seat

if final countdown hits, im going to burn my loving house down

either way, im not counting on or even expecting it to happen but yea it would be cool right when it does

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

boxcarhobo posted:

if final countdown hits, im going to burn my loving house down

:toxx:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

Sure it is. If the appearance of Diet Austin Aries is this automatic ticket to drawing in all the lapsed fans as people have claimed repeatedly, then surely he got a bump when he appeared last year.

he appeared as a pundit on an aftershow thing that nobody watched anyway and never wrestled . If he appeared on raw or Smackdown it’d be a fair comparison

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

It's absolutely true that at this point signing anyone new is taking oxygen away from other parts of the roster and each signing to some extent has to be a judgment call on if what you're getting in return is worth what you're sacrificing, but people like Punk and Bryan are no-brainers.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The only problem I have with Punk going to AEW is that his time to be a megastar was in the 2010s, and it's not AEW's responsibility to be the company that corrects that. They already have so many guys who could be the biggest stars in the industry, why waste their build time on guys who could have been better had WWE not hosed it up?

Having said that, Punk is one of like three names that legit became big stars in wrestling after 2010 so unless John Cena or Batista decide to jump ship I'd say he's the best name they could get, and it'll have the chance to draw a more casual fan eye to the product which is what AEW needs.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

i will be taking up temporary residence in a cardboard box for the duration of all aew shows in the near future, please respect my privacy

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/ShopAEW/status/1417895478377713674

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

NutritiousSnack posted:

I agree with people on here that I'm not excited for Punk nearly the same way I am for DB, Tony Khan would be insane NOT to sign his rear end.

I agree and also feel like they're two very different signings. DBry is a "there's a bunch of dream matches we can have" guy. Punk, you're bringing in as a personality.

It's also funny to go back and read the pipebomb promo now because it's still stuff people are saying ten years later:

quote:

I’ve grabbed so many of Vincent K. McMahon’s brass rings that it’s finally dawned on me that they're just that, they’re completely imaginary.

quote:

The reason I’m leaving is you people. Because after I’m gone, you’re still going to pour money into this company. I’m just a spoke on the wheel. The wheel is going to keep turning and I understand that. Vince McMahon is going to make money despite himself. He’s a millionaire who should be a billionaire. You know why he’s not a billionaire? Because he surrounds himself with glad-handed, nonsensical, douchebag (censored) yes men, like John Laurinaitis, who’s going to tell him everything he wants to hear, and I’d like to think that maybe this company will be better after Vince McMahon is dead. But the fact is, it’s going to be taken over by his idiotic daughter and his doofus son-in-law and the rest of his stupid family.

Let me tell you a personal story about Vince McMahon, alright? We do this whole [anti] bully campaign...

[Microphone cuts off]

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Gonzo McFee posted:

The only problem I have with Punk going to AEW is that his time to be a megastar was in the 2010s, and it's not AEW's responsibility to be the company that corrects that. They already have so many guys who could be the biggest stars in the industry, why waste their build time on guys who could have been better had WWE not hosed it up?

because the potential is there, the memories are already attached for a lot of people, and big biceps tony loving khan could absolutely capitalize on it

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
I am an AEW fan.

CM Punk would give AEW more credibility and would almost certainly increase ratings.

I want AEW to do even better. So therefore I want CM Punk.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

:emptyquote:

MJeff posted:

I swear to God, you guys are going to make my head explode if we do this "ehhhhhhh but does AEW really neeeeeeed him?" thing every single time somebody becomes available. :cripes:

THE ANSWER IS ALWAYS YES.

Yeah, AEW could use a big name to do big name related business work. But I am going to be sad if the resulting name cuts into my steel drum boy time.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

StarkRavingMad posted:

I agree and also feel like they're two very different signings. DBry is a "there's a bunch of dream matches we can have" guy. Punk, you're bringing in as a personality.

It's also funny to go back and read the pipebomb promo now because it's still stuff people are saying ten years later:

Well, looks like he was wrong about the doofus son in law getting the company. :lol:

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
personally I’m going to follow this cycle:

1) right now outwardly say that I’m not excited to see CM Punk
2) be pretty stoked to see him if he does show up because they’ll do a good job of making it be a cool moment
3) post about how he’s doing a pretty good job after a couple weeks in the company
4) enjoy good AEW programming

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The one weakness AEW has is breaking in with people that aren't wrestling fans or are casual fans or just casually watch Raw (however many still exist). CM Punk can help bring those people in to try the show out and is 100% worth signing cause of it

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I found Tony Khan's to-do list.

1.) Hire CM Punk
2.) Get the licensing of BOTH Cult of Personality and Misera Cantare and his theme is both at the same time
3.) Buy bulk supply of ear plugs for crew
4.) Prep our legal team for future lawsuits from the entire Chicago crowd going deaf when he enters
5.) Set up a plan to lock Punk and Colt in an elevator and work out their differences like a sitcom
6.) CHICAGO DOG
7.) If 5 doesn't work, prevent Colt from transforming Punk into a t-shirt with his powers.
8.) Sign Maki Itoh

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Bard Maddox posted:

2) be pretty stoked to see him if he does show up because they’ll do a good job of making it be a cool moment
3) post about how he’s doing a pretty good job after a couple weeks in the company

Literally the AEW version of this:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I want CM Punk to go to AEW because I think it would both be good for AEW and would also kill some of the myths around him and kill some of the hype. I kind of want him to get in the ring so I can stop hearing about how CM Punk might get back in the ring and we can all move on.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Bard Maddox posted:

This does check out, yeah.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

enigmahfc posted:

I was not watching wrestling at that time, so I do not care about CM Punk. Should I?
There was a time when he was considered one of those wrestlers who couldn't put on a bad match, and he was great on the mic too. WWE burned him out hard though, which negatively affected his physical and mental health, and he became bitter about it as a result and seemed to basically hate wrestling altogether for a while. If AEW can make him feel passionate about the business again, I feel like that's a good story they can tell with him.

Kunabomber posted:

Serena Deeb comes out to call Punk a fuckin dork and downs a beer with the DO while 10 does rails
Oh poo poo, they have access to Gallows too. SES is back baby.

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from

Gonzo McFee posted:

Having said that, Punk is one of like three names that legit became big stars in wrestling after 2010 so unless John Cena or Batista decide to jump ship I'd say he's the best name they could get, and it'll have the chance to draw a more casual fan eye to the product which is what AEW needs.

I don't think the goal would be to correct what WWE hosed up, it would be to use Punk's drawing power and credibility to help build new talent. That's the one thing AEW has been able to do without making their vets look like total doofuses or making them the sole focus of the company.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

boxcarhobo posted:

because the potential is there, the memories are already attached for a lot of people, and big biceps tony loving khan could absolutely capitalize on it

Don't get me wrong, I want to see Punk in AEW. But AEW already has an absolutely bloated roster and only two hours of TV time, going up to three.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

For what it's worth, AEW has been really good about their high-profile hires. I don't think any of them (Miro, Mox, Christian, Sting, etc.) have been immediately injected into any title program. They've done starting angles with other talent.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Gonzo McFee posted:

Don't get me wrong, I want to see Punk in AEW. But AEW already has an absolutely bloated roster and only two hours of TV time, going up to three.

cm punk king of aew dark, the only place to see cm punk in 2022

just two hours of taz and ex making fun of cm punk while he wrestles

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Evil Badman posted:

For what it's worth, AEW has been really good about their high-profile hires. I don't think any of them (Miro, Mox, Christian, Sting, etc.) have been immediately injected into any title program. They've done starting angles with other talent.

Brodie was, but those are kind of understandable circumstances.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

"TNT and TBS are excited to announce the AEW Report hosted by CM Punk and Bryan Danielson."

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

"TNT and TBS are excited to announce the AEW Report hosted by CM Punk and Bryan Danielson."

id watch it