Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Tayter Swift posted:

What if you put charge ports on both sides.

knox_harrington posted:

(also my car has charging on both sides, though DC only on the driver's side)

But also is there an EVSE (for North America) that has a detachable cable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Qi, but for EVs.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Tayter Swift posted:

Qi, but for EVs.

MagSafe but for EVs

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Finger Prince posted:

Japan and the UK combined have a population nearing 200 million, and are huge car markets on their own, so not an insignificant amount of RHD vehicles. I don't know about Japan, but in the UK and most of Europe, you can park facing whichever way you want. Only North America gets weird about which way your car is facing when parked.

In a lot of continental Europe parking is allowed only on the right side of the lane you are driving into, maneuvering into the left/opposite lane to park is considered an illegal lane change which could end up in nasty fines. Just so you don’t do weird stuff. A lot of charging station here are done with a single charger outputting two slots in between two spots so having charge inputs on both sides are beneficial.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Tayter Swift posted:

Qi, but for EVs.

Like anyone can park it square enough in a spot for that!!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tayter Swift posted:

What if you put charge ports on both sides.

the taycan has this as an option

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I guess this is sort of EV adjacent? There's a battery pack/Solar generator that just launched on kickstarter than can charge from J1772 plugs at EV charging stations.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ro_Crowdfunding

And can output like 7kw with 220v ac if you link two of them together, so you could put together an off-grid EV charger at 32amps 220v power while accepting 1.2kw of solar.

Jimong5
Oct 3, 2005

If history is to change, let it change! If the world is to be destroyed, so be it! If my fate is to be destroyed... I must simply laugh!!
Grimey Drawer
I'd imagine charge port on the driver side is because most charging is at home in a garage and not having to walk around the car to plug every night is the better option. I have to wonder how expensive a second port would really cost to add, because you'd have to include some kind of electronics to deal with somebody plugging in both ports at once.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

In a lot of continental Europe parking is allowed only on the right side of the lane you are driving into, maneuvering into the left/opposite lane to park is considered an illegal lane change which could end up in nasty fines. Just so you don’t do weird stuff. A lot of charging station here are done with a single charger outputting two slots in between two spots so having charge inputs on both sides are beneficial.

I know it makes no practical difference in Britain, Portugal, Spain, France and Italy. There might be city-specific ordinances, but anecdotally it doesn't seem to matter in those places from my experience. Drop a little street view guy on any random road in any random town if you want to verify that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Nitrousoxide posted:

I guess this is sort of EV adjacent? There's a battery pack/Solar generator that just launched on kickstarter than can charge from J1772 plugs at EV charging stations.

And can output like 7kw with 220v ac if you link two of them together, so you could put together an off-grid EV charger at 32amps 220v power while accepting 1.2kw of solar.

That's a cool trick. I'm a little skeptical about it. How to calculate the C rate of charging a 3.6kWh battery at 6000w?

Edit 2: looks like the 6000W claim is only with 2 batteries, so 7.2kWh.

Edit: also you can park on either side of the street in Seattle. Maybe not legally, who knows, nobody cares.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

link plz to the insta of assholes using both sides at once at public chargers to try to make it go faster

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I'm going to guess it probably tries to let you only open one door at a time.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Unless they changed it, only the driver side has dc high power, the secondary port is low power ac.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

SlowBloke posted:

Unless they changed it, only the driver side has dc high power, the secondary port is low power ac.

yes this is accurate

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Almost as if somebody already posted that last page and I quoted it at the top of this page :v:

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Nitrousoxide posted:

Okay this is hella cute, I love the concept of it. Plus they're mobile so could come with me if I moved.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

How many drivers of EVs are not primarily charging at home? I feel like it's probably a very small percentage

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

How many drivers of EVs are not primarily charging at home? I feel like it's probably a very small percentage

I don't know about the percentage, but there are many street parked EVs near me, two just outside my house. They're in daily use as well. I guess they prefer shopping at supermarkets with fast chargers outside.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Also, booked a test drive with a Polestar 2. Any thread denizens have thoughts? The characteristics seem similar to the Tesla Model 3 Performance but less range and lower cost (after incentives), and from what I read the Polestar may be the more enjoyable car.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

This was the first real summer mountain driving I've done in the Taycan today and it was a blast. Even though it's a big car it's so well balanced and precise. I also really can't see how much more a Turbo or Turbo S would get you, I don't think I ever had the pedal fully to the metal.

What really gets me is the steering, it's like it's linked straight to your brain. What a great car.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I'm in love with this street. What city is that?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Pham Nuwen posted:

I'm in love with this street. What city is that?

Philadelphia.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Who owns the outlet there? I see people setting up similar setups in Seattle, but they are all wired to the house, so I would still consider them 'home charging' Is it a community outlet?

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
There's a lock on it.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Bone Crimes posted:

Who owns the outlet there? I see people setting up similar setups in Seattle, but they are all wired to the house, so I would still consider them 'home charging' Is it a community outlet?

The homeowner does. Philly used to grant permits to do that but stopped a couple of years ago.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Bone Crimes posted:

I was actually wondering if that's legal in Seattle. Or a hard-wired EVSE

edit: also driving on brick roads is pretty bumpy isn't it?

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
My favorite streetside charging setup:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Finger Prince posted:

I know it makes no practical difference in Britain, Portugal, Spain, France and Italy. There might be city-specific ordinances, but anecdotally it doesn't seem to matter in those places from my experience. Drop a little street view guy on any random road in any random town if you want to verify that.

Yeah I don't think anyone gives a poo poo on small residential streets. But if it's more that two lanes, it's definitely a no go.

Hoovie and Rich rebuilds just had some content about Teslas. Hoovie'a apparently went into safe mode and limits range to 50 miles sue to some battery issue. Rich's customer smashed the coolant hookup on the battery. In both cases Tesla's answer is 16 grand for a new battery.

Apparently it's not just Tesla, but in any case this poo poo needs to change if they want normal people to consider out of warranty cars. Because in Rich's case it's fixed for like :10bux: With plumbing parts and Hoovie's maybe a grand for the battery module replacement. I'm pretty sure that short of the engine exploding on an AMG Mercedes, there isn't a single thing that could fail on most ICE cars that would cost almost$20k to repai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVSw3KSevEc&t=868s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbrIQioiv8kHoovie's just a rant without technical details

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Jimong5 posted:

I'd imagine charge port on the driver side is because most charging is at home in a garage and not having to walk around the car to plug every night is the better option. I have to wonder how expensive a second port would really cost to add, because you'd have to include some kind of electronics to deal with somebody plugging in both ports at once.

My garage is not real big, and I have to park so close to the wall that anyone who wants to sit on the passenger side needs to wait for me to back out. Charging port only on that side would be a deal breaker for me.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I don't know if it's my dealer or Hyundai but where the hell is my fuel card dammit

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

Also, booked a test drive with a Polestar 2. Any thread denizens have thoughts? The characteristics seem similar to the Tesla Model 3 Performance but less range and lower cost (after incentives), and from what I read the Polestar may be the more enjoyable car.

the ohlins dampers are pretty neat but ride on the firm side to me.

the swedish rainbow rules it out to me, make it in a color goddamnit

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Charles posted:

I was actually wondering if that's legal in Seattle. Or a hard-wired EVSE

edit: also driving on brick roads is pretty bumpy isn't it?

I'm not sure, and I've been looking, but there doesn't seem to be much guidance. The consensus I think is that level 2 at the curb is not really possible right now as it would require significant cost and permitting. They did have this program here where they looked a public funded level 2 in public ROW, but I think ended up thinking it would be better to do it in a better place than on the road.

They recently published this https://www.seattle.gov/Documents/Departments/SDOT/CAMs/CAM2119.pdf which says you can use a ramp to cover a 120v cord over the sidewalk/public ROW to charge your car on the street. I've seen quite a few of these now around town, by folks that both have and don't have driveways/garages. I'll take some pics when I can.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Bone Crimes posted:

I'm not sure, and I've been looking, but there doesn't seem to be much guidance. The consensus I think is that level 2 at the curb is not really possible right now as it would require significant cost and permitting. They did have this program here where they looked a public funded level 2 in public ROW, but I think ended up thinking it would be better to do it in a better place than on the road.

They recently published this https://www.seattle.gov/Documents/Departments/SDOT/CAMs/CAM2119.pdf which says you can use a ramp to cover a 120v cord over the sidewalk/public ROW to charge your car on the street. I've seen quite a few of these now around town, by folks that both have and don't have driveways/garages. I'll take some pics when I can.

I thought that program was for level 3 cause it mentioned DCFC.

I've seen the covered cords. I have a L2 charger in the driveway but if I can convert the other car in the future to an EV it'd be nice to have it ready to go. It's not super important, just curious. Running a 50 amp circuit down there is probably really expensive cause you gotta dig a bit.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Bone Crimes posted:

This is what I do currently.

I have a 25 foot 12 AWG extension cord that goes into that drybox on the left. I plug in a second 25 foot 12 AWG extension cord there which runs inside of a cable ramp across the sidewalk along the very edge of the street and sidewalk, tucked against the raised sidewalk, to the level 1 EVSE into my car.

I would be able to reach any of 4 parking spots near me house this way, but 1 of them is a handicapped one, so only 3 possible spots.

I pack up everything past the drybox as soon as my car is done charging.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

QuarkJets posted:

The main things I know is the efficiency isn't very good for some reason, and it's based on an ICE car so you don't get a flat floor like on the Tesla. Other than that I really like the looks and size.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Ola posted:

I don't know about the percentage, but there are many street parked EVs near me, two just outside my house. They're in daily use as well. I guess they prefer shopping at supermarkets with fast chargers outside.
There's a Model X that I see parked at a gas station in Ocala FL and it's not charging or anything, but it's there when I go by twice a week.

:confused:

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

The desktop supercharger Tesla sells is hella cute :unsmith:

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

DoomTrainPhD posted:

There’s also an arrow next to the gas pump symbol on ice cars which points to the side where one can find the fuel door. It’s crazy how many people don’t know this.

About ten years ago I said to myself, "Why don't they put a symbol on the dash to indicate which side the fuel door is?" Then I looked down and it was already there.

I simultaneously felt incredibly smug and ridiculously stupid at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Westy543 posted:

The desktop supercharger Tesla sells is hella cute :unsmith:

I didn’t want to like it but it’s pretty fuckin adorable