Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

No. 6 posted:

4 way stops are garbage design by assholes

We don't have those where I live, and it was a total mindfuck when I was over in the States.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

... you are always in the right and doing the perfect speed and anyone going faster is a maniac best ignored so you never need to pull over ever, even if you're towing a caravan up a hill.

This is an old George Carlin bit. "Ever notice that anyone driving slower than you is a moron, but the people driving faster than you are maniacs?"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ahh, nothing like getting trapped behind a garbage truck in 30° weather

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Phy posted:

Just vommed on my mouth a little

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Phy posted:

If that's F it's frozen garbage and doesn't smell too bad! If that's C :barf:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Getting little splashes of the garbage water that’s always leaking out of the truck on your visor

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Gorson posted:

If that's F it's frozen garbage and doesn't smell too bad! If that's C :barf:
It's obviously Celsius

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Getting little splashes of the garbage water that’s always leaking out of the truck on your visor

Trucks dumping literal poo poo in long, slippery streaks right in the corners, causing people on bikes to die, is a serious problem the nz government is attempting to curb.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Horse Clocks posted:

Just vommed on my mouth a little

Yeah I had to force myself not to, only woulda made it worse

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

Trucks dumping literal poo poo in long, slippery streaks right in the corners, causing people on bikes to die, is a serious problem the nz government is attempting to curb.

The only time I've ever wiped out on the street it was because my front tire washed out in a streak of wet cement in the middle of a corner, slopped there by a truck leaving a construction site. My foot slipped in it when I was trying to pick the bike up and hosed up my knee pretty good, too.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Slavvy posted:

You should have mentioned this before I moved! The plague is a better date than this.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

Yeah I had to force myself not to, only woulda made it worse

"Chain reaction" is probably the more applicable term here but the thought of a grody smell causing someone to barf out the bottom of their helmet suggests the phrase "cascade failure"

Now its time for lunch!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I had the front wheel wash out on a discarded kebab in the middle of a junction, a very London accident (although thankfully it hooked up again so I didn't actually drop it).

Mate of mine was the unfortunate victim of a muck spreader that got a bit too close to the edge of the field, covering him and his bike completely in liquid poo poo - the farmer was actually pretty good about it and paid for his bike and kit to be properly washed, but he still had to ride home like a two-wheeled Golgothan. In his words - "Never been more grateful for having my visor properly closed".

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

AAARGH. Godfuckingdamnit.

About 2,5 years pass and i didn't damage my helmet (HJC IS-17, with iridium visor) a single time.

Half a year ago, i was distracted by some guy calling me over, so i put my helmet on the seat instead of as usual on the right mirror. While chatting, the helmet rolled off and smacked onto the visor. Both hinges snapped off, but helmet and visor otherwise undamaged. Fffuck. Oh well. Ordered new hinges and all is well again.

Two weeks ago, riding my new one-mirrored FZR600 (a pair of original ones are waiting to be mounted) i put the helmet on the seat. It sat there for 5 minutes before sliding off and landing on the visor again. Visor is a nice iridescent one, now with a nasty gash through the pretty blue layer.

Today, i had my helmet slung over my shoulder with a rifle strap. Somehow it came undone and AGAIN smashed into the ground, right onto the visor, semi-snapping one of the hinges AGAIN, and now scratching the visor beyond being usable.

gently caress. Fuckfuckfuck. I hereby proclaim my helmet cursed and will interpret this as the signal to go helmet shopping again. I don't think the internal polystyrene foam is damaged or anything, but i'm just so done with this thing, and although it looks very good - investing about 70 bucks for a new visor and new hinges for a 200 buck helmet that only fits perfect if i wear a balaclava is a bit much.

Ugh. So annoyed.
/rant

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Visor hinges that blow off in a meter drop seem like a garbage thing for a helmet to do anyway.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
lol the Icon Variant I ran for a little over 4 years and 50k-mi would blow hinges every 6 months like clockwork. Pop it to defog? busted. Pop it when its below freezing? busted. Open it one too many times on a thursday? busted.
Whats fun is when the detents broke off the visor would fly open at speed when I turned my head. It had a double duty of backing screws out too unless they galled in place.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Can I please just register my goddamn dual sport to ride on the three trails we have in Massachusetts? Doing so requires an OHV registration through the EPA Police. Online registration is suspended because, reasons, and in-person registration has been cancelled since March of 2020. Calling them just gives you a voice message saying "lol get hosed" but that they're still reading their mail. I guess I have to mail the form, with a check, to one of the addresses and hope for the best. Also the form is laid out like you're registering a boat, so most of the fields don't apply.

Watching videos of people riding amazing trails out on the west coast makes me super jealous. We have a few state forests and a bunch of power lines.

Back to riding illegally I guess. Hope I don't get bagged by the fish warden.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

you'll be on a dirt bike dude, just ride away lol

I always pull my plate off when I ride offroad in case some cop wants to try and chase me down some high voltage access roads lol

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Watch out for horse people in gray areas. Not centaurs, people who like and ride horses. They tend to be assholes and often have connections to rural law enforcement.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Gorson posted:

Watch out for horse people in gray areas. Not centaurs, people who like and ride horses. They tend to be assholes and often have connections to rural law enforcement.

Horse people are so loving weird. I get that we're all enthusiasts but their enthusiasm for horses goes to a strange degree. But I will also, as always, be on the lookout for centaurs.

right arm posted:

you'll be on a dirt bike dude, just ride away lol

I always pull my plate off when I ride offroad in case some cop wants to try and chase me down some high voltage access roads lol

I dunno I watched a video of a dude puttering through some trails and the EPA Police came absolutely BOMBING past on a sxs. I don't think I have the skill required for evasion in the forest.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Centaurs shouldn't be a problem. How fast can they go? They make like one horsepower.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

lol

As an occasional mountain biker, i am annoyed with horse people because they act like they own the trail and I've NEVER heard of any horse owners group doing trail building or maintenance.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Martytoof posted:

Centaurs shouldn't be a problem. How fast can they go? They make like one horsepower.

It's the archery that gets you. CE ratings don't include defense from projectiles.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

lol

As an occasional mountain biker, i am annoyed with horse people because they act like they own the trail and I've NEVER heard of any horse owners group doing trail building or maintenance.

i don't mind the existence of horses on the trails, but the riders should be required to pick up their horse poo poo.

that or i should be allowed to poo poo in their backyard.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Reminds me if you want to feel better about yourself bring a garbage bag and pick up trash. Not only does it keeps things nicer it gives you a moral leg up on the other people on the trail who think you shouldn't be there or think you might be there to destroy. Horse people don't do trail maintenance because they'd have to literally and figuratively get off their high horse to do it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Meet them on the one neutral ground where you’re each equally likely to have your ride crap out and die:

A river crossing

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

:lol:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Russian Bear posted:

lol

Strife posted:

It's the archery that gets you. CE ratings don't include defense from projectiles.

hehehe

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Almost 4 months later and my Ninja 400 is finally registered and legal. christ buying privately when there's a lien involved can be a pain in the rear end, lesson learned. 90% Yamaha Financial Services fault, those fuckers took nearly 2 months to release the title after getting the payoff, never do business with them.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Plastic fairing mounting tags that explode under the slightest pressure is slowly helping convince me to buy a naked bike.

The n650 has a plastic tab that keeps the entire front fairing flush with the bike and guess what I snapped today. I applied liberal job weld plastic bonder and inserted a small piece of metal into the goop to hopefully reinforce the whole thing but I’m not optimistic.

E: man if they just put a hole in the plastic where this screw is they could have just used that to old thee fairing flush instead of the lovely tab. If this tab snaps off again I might just get a longer screw and do this myself. Not sure what the downside would be..

E2: Seems to be holding, I taped it fast and I’ll leave it over the next few days. I guess if it breaks it breaks :sigh:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 25, 2021

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Today I decided to ride for the first time in like two weeks. In my haste to get going I was careless when clipping my camera in to the helmet mount. I know I made it out of my neighborhood with it there, but it took me at least ten minutes to check it again and find that it was missing.

Believe it or not I did end up finding it:

Right in the middle of the intersection across one of the local highways. I gathered up what I could but there was too much traffic to linger. I looked but I couldn't find the memory card, I'm sure it popped out and will lie there on the roadway for the rest of time.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My few month old Pixel 2 phone fell out of my tank bag on the 405 freeway (one of the busiest in SoCal) and using Google's find my phone feature I was able to see it was somehow still alive hours later, just sitting in the carpool lane of the freeway. I think it bounced right to the middle of the lane, but I decided to avoid almost certain death and not go back and grab it.

What really sucked is I didn't have my pics backing up to google's servers then and it had all my pics from an irreplaceable trip to Tahiti on there, which I ended up losing. Now I've just given up and give Google all my photos.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MomJeans420 posted:

My few month old Pixel 2 phone fell out of my tank bag on the 405 freeway (one of the busiest in SoCal) and using Google's find my phone feature I was able to see it was somehow still alive hours later, just sitting in the carpool lane of the freeway. I think it bounced right to the middle of the lane, but I decided to avoid almost certain death and not go back and grab it.

What really sucked is I didn't have my pics backing up to google's servers then and it had all my pics from an irreplaceable trip to Tahiti on there, which I ended up losing. Now I've just given up and give Google all my photos.

Having dropped an identical phone not a week ago, even if it's fine the camera no longer works.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I thought I hated selling things on the internet before. Now I'm trying to sell the GSX-R and I'm dealing with the dumbest and cheapest people alive.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Mister Speaker posted:

I thought I hated selling things on the internet before. Now I'm trying to sell the GSX-R and I'm dealing with the dumbest and cheapest people alive.

Make a detailed ad description, take a lot of good pictures, and only give an email address as a contact (or IM if going through Facebook) and ignore any enquiry that isn't a question that somehow wasn't already answered in your description or a request to see it in person.

It'll still be annoying but doing the above filters out 95% of time wasters.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Too lenient. Ignore anything and everything other than “can I come see the bike?”.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

Too lenient. Ignore anything and everything other than “can I come see the bike?”.

Correct. Those are the only serious people.

Think about all the times you've bought a bike. You were eager to get it asap before some other person came along to snap it up, I'll bet. Flip that and act accordingly.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Dealing with the public on sales is infuriating. I once had a guy show up to buy my SOHC CB750 only to immediately leave after going “oh, I thought this was a dirtbike”.

I had an ad full of pictures that definitely showed that it wasn’t a dirtbike

:wtc:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

uh if you know anything about motorcycles you know there are only two kinds: harley davidsons and honda dirt bikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
All motorcycles are harleys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhizWcug_7Q