Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

amigolupus posted:

What's the phenomenon/effect where you're reading what you think is a wholesome isekai and then suddenly you get a sour taste in your mouth when the MC brings up buying slaves/is offered one? I was like 17 chapters into this series about a guy building a party of adventurers when he just nonchalantly brought up getting a slave to be their blacksmith and his first follower agreed with no hesitation. :sigh:

Yep, pretty sure I know that series (and had that development spoiled for me in the comments). It didn't really come as a surprise seeing as how he was already kind of less-than-wholesome in recruiting his other companions, even if it does work out for the best for them.

Reminds me of another series that was already kind of skirting the line with it's behavior, but then blew right across it when the MC decided to secretly test an ability that would make women horny on one of his female companions. Thanks manga, that's absolutely not something I want to see the MC do, even as a setup for a gag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

amigolupus posted:

What's the phenomenon/effect where you're reading what you think is a wholesome isekai and then suddenly you get a sour taste in your mouth when---

I dunno, but it often happens with the similar 'too-horny-itis' or when there's suddenly a massive goddamn horny swerve out of nowhere that dampens my interest.
It's really bizarre when you get suddenly, whiplash, 1-off things that just jar with the rest of the presentation.

Like with the 'Saint just wants to pet fluffies' where it's generally aboveboard, but then suddenly had a graphic goblin rape panel.
(When a guild receptionist is trying to tell her a horror story about adventuring to try to dissuade the protag from becoming an adventurer.)
It's just so goddamn out of place in a series that otherwise wasn't like that, and like 5+ chapters later there's still nothing like that again.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Trying to recall the name of a pharmacist isekai manga. Pre-isekai the guy worked for a lab developing some kind of wonder drug. He passes out after completing it and is well aware he's dying of exhaustion and passes on relatively peacefully thinking of his siblings or something like that and how they're "set".

Reincarnates, has no shadow or something like that which is treated as an ill omen as well as being very driven to improve the medical QoL in this new world. Seemed relatively ok if I recall.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SubNat posted:

I dunno, but it often happens with the similar 'too-horny-itis' or when there's suddenly a massive goddamn horny swerve out of nowhere that dampens my interest.
It's really bizarre when you get suddenly, whiplash, 1-off things that just jar with the rest of the presentation.

Like with the 'Saint just wants to pet fluffies' where it's generally aboveboard, but then suddenly had a graphic goblin rape panel.
(When a guild receptionist is trying to tell her a horror story about adventuring to try to dissuade the protag from becoming an adventurer.)
It's just so goddamn out of place in a series that otherwise wasn't like that, and like 5+ chapters later there's still nothing like that again.

Yeah that nearly made me wanna loving drop it. It's not only gross and skeevy, but frankly feels super lazy.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

doomrider7 posted:

Trying to recall the name of a pharmacist isekai manga. Pre-isekai the guy worked for a lab developing some kind of wonder drug. He passes out after completing it and is well aware he's dying of exhaustion and passes on relatively peacefully thinking of his siblings or something like that and how they're "set".

Reincarnates, has no shadow or something like that which is treated as an ill omen as well as being very driven to improve the medical QoL in this new world. Seemed relatively ok if I recall.

Isekai Yakkyoku / Isekai Pharmacy ( https://mangadex.org/title/da7bb886-7e6b-4174-83a9-2c478475b846 )
I quite like it honestly, and very much liked how quickly some people started catching on to him. (Looks like the scanlation group has started again, but mangadex hasn't gotten an update in over half a year.)

doomrider7 posted:

Yeah that nearly made me wanna loving drop it. It's not only gross and skeevy, but frankly feels super lazy.

Yup, it was just so out of left field, when the only thing the series has done otherwise is play up her petting/fluffing for laughs.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

doomrider7 posted:

The one you're thinking of is Isekai Yakkyoku - it is indeed pretty good!

edit: drat, beaten in the second between preview and post - impressive!

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Jayme posted:

edit: drat, beaten in the second between preview and post - impressive!

After reincarnating from a fantasy world to this modern world, (accidentally run over by a dragon-truck) I was graced with the cheat ability to post too much, too fast about dumb isekai.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

SubNat posted:

Isekai Yakkyoku / Isekai Pharmacy ( https://mangadex.org/title/da7bb886-7e6b-4174-83a9-2c478475b846 )
I quite like it honestly, and very much liked how quickly some people started catching on to him. (Looks like the scanlation group has started again, but mangadex hasn't gotten an update in over half a year.)

Sweet thanks. Got some details wronggently caress Cancer for taking his imouto but this is indeed the one. Got it a bit mixed up with Maid to Mother.

SubNat posted:

Yup, it was just so out of left field, when the only thing the series has done otherwise is play up her petting/fluffing for laughs.

Also that style of portrayal just doesn't work anymore after reading stuff like Tensei Slime, Yakuza Reincarnation, Helck, Maou Yuusha, Dungeon Meshi, which actually flesh out monsters and provide more complex reasons as to why they're in conflict with humans(Undead Adventurer seems to be heading this way too).

SubNat posted:

After reincarnating from a fantasy world to this modern world, (accidentally run over by a dragon-truck) I was graced with the cheat ability to post too much, too fast about dumb isekai.
A wondrous and great power indeed.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jul 18, 2021

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

Suffer not a live slaver.

I would be up for a John Brown reincarnation story.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

SubNat posted:

I had a similar experience when I tried this isekai of a guy who reincarnated as a polar bear. It seemed like it was going to open with a bog standard "MC stumbles into a situation where terrible people are about to harm a helpless civilian, and steps in to save them" sort of situation. His fight against the soldiers included him biting part of a guy's face off, or decapitating someone; It was weirdly hyperviolent and I thought maybe it was a one-off thing. But a couple chapters later, he stumbles upon some adventurers being harassed by a demon bear and one of them gets killed and the bear feasts on his guts. Ended up dropping the comic after that.

Weirdly enough, it made me think of classic Dominic Deegan in the mock thread. That comic's action scenes also gets weirdly gore-y at times, and was so out of place with the rest of the comic.

doomrider7 posted:

While others already pointed out Isekai Pharmacy, there's also Jin, which is about a brain surgeon who finds himself flung back in time near the end of the Edo period. It's pretty interesting with its nitty-gritty medical drama, from the difficulties of recreating modern medicine in the past to the pushback the MC gets from the traditional medicine faction who feel threatened by him.

SubNat posted:

I liked this as well. Just wished it didn't had the magical elements in it. The MC having medical knowledge was already special enough, the magic is just completely superfluous with what the comic was trying to go for, imo.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

OddObserver posted:

I would be up for a John Brown reincarnation story.

My body used to lie moldering in a grave but now I am a killing slavers and leading a slave revolution in a fantasy country?
Edit: Another one "I reincarnated as an indigenous person in the new world 20 years before the Spaniards invade my country and genocide me?"

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 18, 2021

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
if you decide to read Jin consider reading it via the author's patreon (https://www.patreon.com/motokamurakami) and drop him a few bucks for it instead of reading the scans.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

amigolupus posted:

I had a similar experience when I tried this isekai of a guy who reincarnated as a polar bear. It seemed like it was going to open with a bog standard "MC stumbles into a situation where terrible people are about to harm a helpless civilian, and steps in to save them" sort of situation. His fight against the soldiers included him biting part of a guy's face off, or decapitating someone; It was weirdly hyperviolent and I thought maybe it was a one-off thing. But a couple chapters later, he stumbles upon some adventurers being harassed by a demon bear and one of them gets killed and the bear feasts on his guts. Ended up dropping the comic after that.

Weirdly enough, it made me think of classic Dominic Deegan in the mock thread. That comic's action scenes also gets weirdly gore-y at times, and was so out of place with the rest of the comic.

While others already pointed out Isekai Pharmacy, there's also Jin, which is about a brain surgeon who finds himself flung back in time near the end of the Edo period. It's pretty interesting with its nitty-gritty medical drama, from the difficulties of recreating modern medicine in the past to the pushback the MC gets from the traditional medicine faction who feel threatened by him.

I liked this as well. Just wished it didn't had the magical elements in it. The MC having medical knowledge was already special enough, the magic is just completely superfluous with what the comic was trying to go for, imo.

The magic stuff IS a bit necessary since it's how he magics some of the necessary ingredients into existence. The problem he runs into is figuring out how to mass produce it naturally and cut out the magic middle man so to speak.

Also, that bear manga sounds like something out of Golden Kamuy in terms of the violence since those very things happen to some people.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Just read and caught all the way up with Other World Fantasy. It's incredibly good and really wholesome.

Edit: It also seems to be getting an anime soon. Guaranteed the first episode will cause peoples tear ducts to break open.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jul 18, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

doomrider7 posted:

Just read and caught all the way up with Other World Fantasy. It's incredibly good and really wholesome.

Edit: It also seems to be getting an anime soon. Guaranteed the first episode will cause peoples tear ducts to break open.

What an incredibly generic title

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Ill take it over Super Genius Other World Summoner Laid Back
Healer Who Invents Rice Takes It Easy In Generic Tolkien RPG.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
"why don't you just wear shoes"
"the messiah!"

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

It's a generic enough title that I can't really find it. What's the Japanese name for it?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I think it's called isekai :raise:

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Fantasy Bishoujo Juniku Ojisan to is going to get an anime too. That will be fun.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Guyver posted:

Ill take it over Super Genius Other World Summoner Laid Back
Healer Who Invents Rice Takes It Easy In Generic Tolkien RPG.

I mean, good luck finding a super generic title like "Sci Fi" or "Fantasy".

Seems like a bad branding strategy to me.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Nitrousoxide posted:

What an incredibly generic title

Other World Pharmacy, my bad. Jesus is auto-correct aggressive sometimes.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

ElMaligno posted:

Edit: Another one "I reincarnated as an indigenous person in the new world 20 years before the Spaniards invade my country and genocide me?"

The Isekai you're looking for is Orson Scott Card's Pastwatch.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Spanish Matlock posted:

The Isekai you're looking for is Orson Scott Card's Pastwatch.

It has the subtitle of "the redemption of Columbus" is not worth my time.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

ElMaligno posted:

It has the author Orson Scott Card, which should be an early giveaway.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

ElMaligno posted:

Honestly the only part I remember is saving history by making sure that white people get hosed when the arrived in the Americas. I haven't read it since college so I'm more than happy to remember it incorrectly.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

He was "redeemed" by them saying he was manipulated into going to the Americas by time travelers from an even worse future somehow where the New World was allowed to develop independently for longer. I can't imagine how that worked out but then I'm not OSC.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the time travelers converted north america to pseudo-christianity starting with cuba which magically prevented the noted piece of poo poo columbus from enslaving them. also they used a muslim suicide bomber to strand him in cuba for a few years.

god, gently caress orson scott card.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Isekai Uncle is getting an anime. (also, someone uploaded some non-garbage translations.)

Is this the same creepy manga where the old guy is constantly hit on by prepubescent definitely super-old elf girls women that always provide fan service?

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Do you have the slightest idea of how little that narrows it down?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

Guyver posted:

Do you have the slightest idea of how little that narrows it down?

I quoted the frame with the manga and yes, yes it is one of those with those problem childs legal adults.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

One of the running gags is that he had his current old man face even when he was younger, and is so ugly that people mistake him for an orc. He was a high schooler when the whole Isekai thing happened, and most of it is a flashback to years ago. None of the girls have shown up in the present time.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
Latest update of Baseball Isekai just swung right for the fences and straight up added tentacle monsters that destroy the girls clothing. Because of course it did.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Dammit, baseball isekai, all I wanted from you was to explore baseball strategy with wizards

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Yeah, had the same reaction. ffs. :(

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

IShallRiseAgain posted:

One of the running gags is that he had his current old man face even when he was younger,

the meaning doesn't enter into it. it is still showing awkward dude groping/watching, without permission, little girls in various stages of undress.

it's a pass for me.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Nemo2342 posted:

Latest update of Baseball Isekai just swung right for the fences and straight up added tentacle monsters that destroy the girls clothing. Because of course it did.

I'm going to hang out with it till at least the end of the game with the rabbits before i decide to stop, it's been so far good enough that one slight isn't enough for me to say no yet.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

EVIL Gibson posted:

the meaning doesn't enter into it. it is still showing awkward dude groping/watching, without permission, little girls in various stages of undress.

it's a pass for me.

Honestly, it's fair to be grossed out. While the main chapters are free of any creepy poo poo, I've learned to dread the extra/.5 chapters of Isekai Uncle because that's when the creator goes all in with the creepfest. It really drags down what is otherwise a funny series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a deliberate art choice. in the isekai flashbacks he's not an old man and the women aren't children, but that's how they are depicted anyway. poo poo's gross, the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Eeepies posted:

I'm going to hang out with it till at least the end of the game with the rabbits before i decide to stop, it's been so far good enough that one slight isn't enough for me to say no yet.

I still want to see where the story is going, at least for a big longer. However I definitely can't recommend it to anyone without a real big caveat now.