Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah. One of my favorite is Zeus/Aphrodite: 1 bar super charged Aid, pair that with Zeus's aid, or any of the ones that make you invincible and game's over.

I had a blast a couple times with Zeus/Dionysus with a constantly thundering fog bomb. I think my favorites is Artemis who then makes a couple of casts homing versions of themselves. It's incredibly loving useful and it lets you focus solely on surviving if the casts are pumped up enough.

Add it with Hermes' bar charging boon, too. Though I don't like Athena's Aid in Call builds, since the only thing she gives is invincibility, which is nice, but it doesn't necessarily let you kill faster, just lets you get more reckless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Correct. There are a lot of ridiculous things you can do. It just came to mind on the topic of Athena being otherwise mostly valued for dash deflect and the god gauge skill.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
I like Athena's call with gauntlet/sword secret aspects. Their DPS is high enough that just being able to wail on bosses while invincible with normal attacks is pretty devastating.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

The hidden bow is weird. What am I supposed to do on it?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Rama is kind of the inverse of Chiron. Tag a big group with special to activate shared suffering and then hit them all with a normal attack. Zeus and Dionysus are really good boons for special and Artemis works well on normal attack because it's already high damage and the crits allow you to output obscene numbers. The draw time on normal attack is longer than on other aspects but you can mitigate it by doing dash strikes which draw faster.

It's not my favourite bow aspect (Chiron all the way) but it's capable of immense damage output once you get into its rhythm.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
To be honest I find the hidden bow to be on the same level as the sword; yeah it’s slow but the fact that it has range at all (and quite a lot iirc, the shockwave flies a lot longer than the range indicates but it’s been a while) and amazing crowd control even without the special makes it poo poo damage really easily. I’d rate it harder than the sword except dodge offset exists for the otherwise slow swing combo.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Last Celebration posted:

To be honest I find the hidden bow to be on the same level as the sword; yeah it’s slow but the fact that it has range at all (and quite a lot iirc, the shockwave flies a lot longer than the range indicates but it’s been a while) and amazing crowd control even without the special makes it poo poo damage really easily. I’d rate it harder than the sword except dodge offset exists for the otherwise slow swing combo.

I love getting a Hermes attack speed up on a slow weapon. It feels so unfair for the monsters.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
I'm on maybe my 42nd run through. I have a long way to go to finally mastering any one thing, but I find my play style fits the gun pretty well. If I can get the special boosted enough and then find a hammer to get the 3 quick shots, I can do very well. I try and get some kind of dash ability and just spam the room with bombs while running around. The last few times I have gotten to the Elysium Boss room without much trouble. The last run I was able to get the Minotaur down, and had Theseus down to a sliver when I finally bit it.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I love getting a Hermes attack speed up on a slow weapon. It feels so unfair for the monsters.

He’s so good with most of the hidden weapons, Excalibur with the legendary version of the speedup thing is so gross.

Floob posted:

I'm on maybe my 42nd run through. I have a long way to go to finally mastering any one thing, but I find my play style fits the gun pretty well. If I can get the special boosted enough and then find a hammer to get the 3 quick shots, I can do very well. I try and get some kind of dash ability and just spam the room with bombs while running around. The last few times I have gotten to the Elysium Boss room without much trouble. The last run I was able to get the Minotaur down, and had Theseus down to a sliver when I finally bit it.

What boons are you using with the gun? It pretty effectively liquifies stuff no matter what with Thunder on attack, so that can help you get over the hurdle if you already aren’t doing that.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Last Celebration posted:

What boons are you using with the gun? It pretty effectively liquifies stuff no matter what with Thunder on attack, so that can help you get over the hurdle if you already aren’t doing that.

This might be long as I try to explain myself... I tend to use dash a lot, and I like when dash can also do damage and/or reduce damage, so any boon I can find that goes that way, I will take. Then depending on what I encounter I just keep trying to get the most damage and speed I can out of the boons I encounter, and usually as I get closer to the second boss I like getting an Athena boon for the deflects.

I know this is going to lose me some points, but I have literally never used call, not even once. It just looks like something that would take away some of my focus. I also very rarely use cast unless I happen upon a boon that helps it.

The best run I ever did was when the initial start gave me one of the upgrade hammers, and that time I chose the triple shot special on the gun. I ended up focusing on the guns special that round, and I was one shot destroying elites by the time I was through. Even the bone hydra heads were going down in a couple well placed bombs two at a time. So, I just had so much luck that round I started doing that every round, and I can fairly reliably get close to that build each time. What I find now is that's not working well for the Elysium Bosses. I think I need something that's a more direct attack in that situation, but every time I try and stand still for a second, I get mowed down by the bull.

I've taken about a week off from playing, so I will probably get back on it soon. Maybe I'll try focusing more on the attack than the special. There are so many boons I just love. I love getting the 3rd dash from Hermes or becoming stable after dashing. I didn't find the health recovery after dashing useful, since I don't usually take much damage anyways through the levels. I only struggle with that Elysium boss now.

I'm only ever gotten a dual boon once, and I finally happened upon a legendary last week.

As far as my lineup goes, I still wear the dog necklace for the added health, and I have two death defiance's. I usually have to refresh one of the death defiance's after the Hydra, so I save money for that. I just started to see some value in the Chaos buffs, so those have been cool. I used to be afraid of messing with them, and avoided them all together.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

not using calls isnt that big of a deal, ive completed a lot of runs without a call, but you really should try to incorporate casts more into your strategy. There's a mirror talent you can take that will increase your damage up to 50% if an enemy has a cast embedded in them. This is a massive damage boost that can make a huge difference for boss fights. This is doubly useful since it works with the default cast so you dont need to use a boon to get the most out of it

id also recommend trying out as many different builds/boons as possible because you might be surprised by how powerful they can end up being. I really like the fated prophecies or whatever theyre called that tell you the boons you havent picked yet since it gently pushes players into trying out boons that they normally would ignore

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

I really like the fated prophecies or whatever theyre called that tell you the boons you havent picked yet since it gently pushes players into trying out boons that they normally would ignore

If I'm on the fence with a boon selection, I do this as well. I have tried every weapon, and I like the shield, but the gun has only recently become my favorite.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

There's a mirror talent you can take that will increase your damage up to 50% if an enemy has a cast embedded in them. This is a massive damage boost that can make a huge difference for boss fights. This is doubly useful since it works with the default cast so you dont need to use a boon to get the most out of it

I probably have this talent and it never really dawned on me... It would be perfect for a boss fight. I'll look into this. I think where I get messed up is the entire game puts you up against multiple enemies, and forces your playstyle to fit that. Then, the bosses are completely different.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Start off with the Athena, Poseidon, or Ares call.

Put your early keys and darkness in the mirror. You have two options for each mirror power, purple or green. Don't be like me and have all purple until you beat the game, accidently click on the little button and go "holy poo poo! There were other options this whole time!"

Use your early gems and diamonds on things that give gameplay benefits, not the aesthetic money sinks.

Cast has better range than the gun I think, try to get used to opening with some casts. Flat damage boons are better for quick weak attacks, percentage for big slow attacks. Aphrodite is probably better than you think.

Don't get stuck in a rut just because you found something that works. Let the darkness bonus pick your weapons and let the Fates pick your boons until you're comfortable with whatever.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Mr. Prokosch posted:

You have two options for each mirror power, purple or green. Don't be like me and have all purple until you beat the game, accidently click on the little button and go "holy poo poo! There were other options this whole time!"

I just figured this out a couple weeks ago after spending all that darkness on just the one type. I had no idea and then same as you, I clicked the little button.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Man, I love Dionysus but I think he's the only God whose boons basically contradict each other. There's no point in picking both Dio Attack and Special, his Dash isn't great outside of just activating Privilege, and even his Call has conflicts even though it's the best of his Hangover options, such as having very little point in using it at max duration because of the cap on Hangover stacks (and unlike Demeter, it doesn't do any damage directly).

Ares also has 'oh you can't stack multiple Dooms', but he doesn't really have the same issues as Dio and his Call/Dash are Blade Rifts instead.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
perhaps it is thematic that you can imbibe too deeply of Dionysus's boons

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Yeah of course Dionysus works best if you've got a big group of other gods rolling with you, a party of one can only get so wild.

Zeus and Poseidon are the opposite, where if I get either early on I'll start leaning heavily on them for the rest of the run because almost every boon they have just makes their attacks better. If they both show up and I get the duo it's basically run over as every enemy I touch gets blasted around the room making GBS threads lightning everywhere

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Man, I love Dionysus but I think he's the only God whose boons basically contradict each other. There's no point in picking both Dio Attack and Special, his Dash isn't great outside of just activating Privilege, and even his Call has conflicts even though it's the best of his Hangover options, such as having very little point in using it at max duration because of the cap on Hangover stacks (and unlike Demeter, it doesn't do any damage directly).

Ares also has 'oh you can't stack multiple Dooms', but he doesn't really have the same issues as Dio and his Call/Dash are Blade Rifts instead.

It double sucks because some his secondary boons are really good but if you havent filled out a attack/special/dash/etc. slot one or more of the options will likely be that.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Party Boat posted:

Yeah of course Dionysus works best if you've got a big group of other gods rolling with you, a party of one can only get so wild.

Zeus and Poseidon are the opposite, where if I get either early on I'll start leaning heavily on them for the rest of the run because almost every boon they have just makes their attacks better. If they both show up and I get the duo it's basically run over as every enemy I touch gets blasted around the room making GBS threads lightning everywhere

My only problem with Poseidon is that I don't want enemies moving away, I need a Scorpion "Get over here!" otherwise it's a mad dash to their new position. Pinballing them is super fun, also unfortunately he's not so great with bosses.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Finally got a rail clear! (Was the last one I needed for the full set). Somewhere just past 100 attempts I started getting more regular wins, I think I'm on 12 now.

Although I like the rail I hardly used it for the clear - I stacked the epic Hermes "increase # of dashes" with the mirror one (always have equipped) early on having already had a decent Lightning Dash, then added another Zeus boon or two to that for some pretty ludicrous dash damage. I also got a pretty well upgraded Trippy Shot with my special as well so it was pretty much just flitting around lobbing special.

I barely eked out a win the next game with my all-time favourite the fists - tried doing a Dodge build by dumping a bunch of blood into the Zagreus aspect + using the Hermes charm, but I kept getting pretty bad boons and wasn't able to get a lot of fast clears to level up the charm. Ah well, first 3 Heat win at least.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Finally got a rail clear! (Was the last one I needed for the full set). Somewhere just past 100 attempts I started getting more regular wins, I think I'm on 12 now.

Although I like the rail I hardly used it for the clear - I stacked the epic Hermes "increase # of dashes" with the mirror one (always have equipped) early on having already had a decent Lightning Dash, then added another Zeus boon or two to that for some pretty ludicrous dash damage. I also got a pretty well upgraded Trippy Shot with my special as well so it was pretty much just flitting around lobbing special.

I barely eked out a win the next game with my all-time favourite the fists - tried doing a Dodge build by dumping a bunch of blood into the Zagreus aspect + using the Hermes charm, but I kept getting pretty bad boons and wasn't able to get a lot of fast clears to level up the charm. Ah well, first 3 Heat win at least.

Are you using Eris on the Rail? This the one that boosts the first shot after a reload. I didn't think of it much but the thread talked it up, I tried it, and it destroys and then destroys even more with a few good +Atk percentages. You don't really need much more than that to win the game.

I love a good dodge build. You really need to focus on Attack and boosting that. Boosting Dash Attack is also super good. Frontloaded moves like hitting undamaged enemies or +attack for first ten seconds (this is a poseidon deal) are super useful too.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

100YrsofAttitude posted:

My only problem with Poseidon is that I don't want enemies moving away, I need a Scorpion "Get over here!" otherwise it's a mad dash to their new position. Pinballing them is super fun, also unfortunately he's not so great with bosses.

Rupture is decent boss damage and some of his duo are boss destroyers. Zeus/Poseidon obviously and Demeter/Poseidon utterly bodies anything static and/or resilient against knockbacks.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Poseidon kinda seems like he’d be great for a dash damage build but I’ve never really tried. I feel like you could tear poo poo apart by rapid dashing into dudes with the hidden fist aspect and clawing them to death afterwards.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Last Celebration posted:

Poseidon kinda seems like he’d be great for a dash damage build but I’ve never really tried. I feel like you could tear poo poo apart by rapid dashing into dudes with the hidden fist aspect and clawing them to death afterwards.
Pair it with Poseidon's other boons like:
  • Razol Shoals - rupture damage to things you knock back
  • Breaking Wave - slamming enemies into barriers does 100 extra damage minimum
  • Typhoon's Fury - do double barrier-slam damage minimum
and the final level chambers are particularly hilarious

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Posiedon goes really well with fists because they're all about constantly getting in your opponent's face anyway.

Honestly fists go well with just about every Attack boon other than maybe Ares.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sorry if this is a too common request, but once I have Arthur’s Aspect Giant Sword + Critical Attack Artemis Boon, what am I supposed to do with that build? I feel like my DPS just drops off a cliff once I hit Biome 3.

Same question but with Chairon and Sloppy Globber Dionysius cast. I can successfully establish that combo pretty much every time, but I am at a loss for how best to maximize it and what Boons to hunt for these two builds.

Closing in on 150 runs!!!!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
In other news Hades got the Game of the Year award at GDC, and also Best Audio and Best Design.

Pretty amazing what supergiant has done in the 10 years they've been around, and still with a tiny team. (I hope Hades has given them enough money that they feel good to step up a notch in ambition & size. I like their storytelling a lot, and would love to see their next game tie gameplay & story together a bit more.)

ApplesandOranges posted:

Posiedon goes really well with fists because they're all about constantly getting in your opponent's face anyway.

Huh, I've always turned down the poseidon normal attack with fists. I figured knockback would just push enemies out of the tiny attack range. Does it wait until the end of the combo to do knockback?

For me the poseidon dash definitely has that problem: dash at an enemy and they get knocked out of attack range.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Honestly fists go well with just about every Attack boon other than maybe Ares.

If you get Dire Misfortune it turns back around to great since you can stack up 5 doom combos -- if you like fat damage numbers it's a lot of fun.

Aphrodite is the one that seems the most meh since weak has zero further effects that make multiple hits more effective. I'd much rather have her on the special than the attack.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I just constantly dash-strike with the fists, so the knockback isn't a huge detriment and fists are so fast. It's more noticeable if you have the other Dash talent or using a longer-ranged weapon; Poseidon spear is pretty annoying on big maps if you're trying to keep them within tipping range. Shield is also just a little too slow that the knockback from Poseidon can be detrimental especially since the attack already knocks enemies back; if I'm picking the shield I really look out for the Hammer that removes the knockback.

Poseidon bow still works though because of its long range, but the Rail can have enemies getting pushed out of the barrage.

Aphrodite does have the benefit of having the biggest multiplier bonuses, so she helps even as a flat damage buffer. And she's extremely good on Attack with her Legendary since a fast weapon can just constantly Charm an enemy.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 22, 2021

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Poseidon with fists on attack and/or dash is great, you just become the wave yourself and dashpunch around madly smacking people into walls left and right, feels great and does a lot of damage with all the knockback bonuses, too. I've never had any problems with the knockback causing trouble, except possibly for weapons like the gun where you prefer them to bunch up a bit more so you can grenade them.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Bust Rodd posted:

Sorry if this is a too common request, but once I have Arthur’s Aspect Giant Sword + Critical Attack Artemis Boon, what am I supposed to do with that build? I feel like my DPS just drops off a cliff once I hit Biome 3.

Same question but with Chairon and Sloppy Globber Dionysius cast. I can successfully establish that combo pretty much every time, but I am at a loss for how best to maximize it and what Boons to hunt for these two builds.

Closing in on 150 runs!!!!

a) Excalibur is not my jam but I'd abuse the dodge offset (if you dodge mid-combo you keep your place in the combo if you resume attacking immediately after chaining one or more dodges) and the damage reduction aura allows face tanking strategies with other defenses

b) Chiron doesn't particularly synergize with Dio cast? Chiron builds are all about getting any +% damage boon on special, or Dio special, and then murdering enemies one by one. Great single target damage, bad crowd control. Attack probably wants Aphrodite or Ares for the debuffs

c) Dio cast needs some support because it kinda falls off in Elysium on its own. The gold standard is Zeus duo but you can treat the cast as an alpha strike and lean on the weapon toolset between casts.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah Dio cast is more for Hera, I feel. Like I'm sure it can work fine on Chiron but it doesn't shine any more than it would in any other weapon. It's decent burst damage but you do have to work around it and synergize it with Dionysus' other Boons or with certain Duos like Zeus.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Last Celebration posted:

Hidden bow is almost certainly the "objective best" weapon in the game to be honest. The current world record for heat is held by Tailesque using it, who has pushed every single weapon up to 50-55 Heat. The only weapon he's ever taken past 55 heat is Hidden Bow (though there was a Chaos Shield 57 heat from before it was changed by another player).

Tailesque has also beaten 45 heat Hidden Bow without using a single boon. The base weapon is just incredibly powerful with minimal requirements to make it kill everything. It has extremely good AoE, high burst damage, and can handle the damage shields that heat gives easily with its special.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Klyith posted:

Aphrodite is the one that seems the most meh since weak has zero further effects that make multiple hits more effective. I'd much rather have her on the special than the attack.

Aphrodite makes it up for being the boon with the most oomph percentage wise given to attack/special etc. She gives you an immediate 50% if its basic, it goes bonkers when Rare/Epic etc.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Aphrodite makes it up for being the boon with the most oomph percentage wise given to attack/special etc. She gives you an immediate 50% if its basic, it goes bonkers when Rare/Epic etc.

Right, but the fists normal attack starts with only 15 damage, meaning that an epic version +100% damage is only adding 15 more. That's not vastly superior to other attacks that add less % boost but have secondary effects that scale with the fist's rapid 5-attack sequence. Epic zeus also adds 15 damage per hit, plus zaps extra enemies. The Dire Misfortune add-on for doom adds a similar amount.

Heck, a common artemis is +20% damage + (300*.15 = +45%) = +65% damage.

Aphrodite gets the most bonus damage to attacks because the weak effect has no stacking and no inherent upgradability from poms / levels.

(OTOH I'm not saying that I would turn it down, because Aphro+Ares Duo is goddamn close to an instant-win button for me and I'd be happy to get even the less-than-optimal version of it.)

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Klyith posted:

Right, but the fists normal attack starts with only 15 damage, meaning that an epic version +100% damage is only adding 15 more. That's not vastly superior to other attacks that add less % boost but have secondary effects that scale with the fist's rapid 5-attack sequence. Epic zeus also adds 15 damage per hit, plus zaps extra enemies. The Dire Misfortune add-on for doom adds a similar amount.

Heck, a common artemis is +20% damage + (300*.15 = +45%) = +65% damage.

Aphrodite gets the most bonus damage to attacks because the weak effect has no stacking and no inherent upgradability from poms / levels.

(OTOH I'm not saying that I would turn it down, because Aphro+Ares Duo is goddamn close to an instant-win button for me and I'd be happy to get even the less-than-optimal version of it.)

I didn't realize we were talking exclusively about fists, where yeah she's definitely not the best there, you want to be making up for the fact that you're hitting A LOT.

On the other hand Aphrodite tears things up with the Eris Rail and it's a nice bonus on a Chiron bow to set up a strong attack plus the murder special.

Really, on any already strong one-hits, it tears. Hidden Sword is another one.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I don't mind Aphrodite fists, they're still pretty solid and really nice in Elysium to help weaken damage from things like armoured shieldguys.

Now, what I've generally find bleh is Aphrodite cast. The range is low and really wants Blown Kiss to make it even semi-decent. I think I've only really found a use for it in Hera/Beowulf and even then I feel like I could have done better anyway.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

I don't mind Aphrodite fists, they're still pretty solid and really nice in Elysium to help weaken damage from things like armoured shieldguys.

Now, what I've generally find bleh is Aphrodite cast. The range is low and really wants Blown Kiss to make it even semi-decent. I think I've only really found a use for it in Hera/Beowulf and even then I feel like I could have done better anyway.

I mean it's basically just a nuke. I don't think I've ever used the call for actual cc. Outside of hilarity with Thesius and minotaur.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Aphrodite Cast inflicts Weak, nor Charm. If it was Charm I'd use it way more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

ApplesandOranges posted:

Aphrodite Cast inflicts Weak, nor Charm. If it was Charm I'd use it way more often.

Well there is that boon that gives you a percent chance to inflict charm