Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Yeah, you've got too many email accounts.

230 - the upper bounds estimate of the number of worthwhile emails I have sent or received in my life time

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jul 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/doctor_katie/status/1417893831459155970

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Well gently caress me.... it just stated raining here in my part of N.I.. :confuoot:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

We've hosed it. We've loving hosed it.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Yeah, you've got too many email accounts.

230 - the upper bounds estimate of the number of worthwhile emails I have sent or received in my life time

Did you honestly think JA would pass up another excuse to have another spreadsheet?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

Again

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH
I know doom and gloom is super trendy in this thread at the moment, but in Scotland (where we don't have many restrictions anymore, certainly not what some here are advocating) the case rate is going back down (and hospitalisations and deaths starting to follow) and it doesn't look ridiculous to say that the tide has turned against the 3rd wave without another lockdown?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah but they're just going for the tourism marketing synergy of a covid death rate graph that looks like the loch Ness monster.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
The English will gently caress it, they'll come up this weekend and seed it all around the NC500.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Did you honestly think JA would pass up another excuse to have another spreadsheet?

Indeed. I have a reputation to maintain.

I've been acquiring email accounts since I first got the internet in 1997 (I've even let a few go!), since the heady days of AOL and the permitted 7 email accounts :D
I use several of them for one-off purposes eg facebook sign-in. If my facebook email add gets hacked 'they' won't get far as it doesn't do anything else. Unlike my sister who used one email address (and one password!) for absolutely everything, got her ebay account hacked and had her banking, paypal etc all raided.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 21, 2021

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

keep punching joe posted:

The English will gently caress it, they'll come up this weekend and seed it all around the NC500.

Yeah UK as a whole is topping the world charts for the last couple days.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

We ran out of regional neonatal intensive care beds in our region (North East) last week. AFAIK there hasn't been a surge of sick kids. The most likely cause is going to be rules regarding positive covid testing/track and tracing. The NICU I work at presently has had massive staffing issues and I know about 1/3 of the midwives in the obstetric unit are currently off isolating, which has had massive impact on their ability to staff services.

I'm sure everyone knows, but to be clear - a "bed" isn't just a mattress, bedframe and some monitoring. It reflects having enough staffing (particularly nursing) to monitor patients, administer treatment etc.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Indeed. I have a reputation to maintain.

I've been acquiring email accounts since I first got the internet in 1997 (I've even let a few go!), since the heady days of AOL and the permitted 7 email accounts :D
I use several of them for one-off purposes eg facebook sign-in. If my facebook email add gets hacked 'they' won't get far as it doesn't do anything else. Unlike my sister who used one email address (and one password!) for absolutely everything, got her ebay account hacked and had her banking, paypal etc all raided.

Firefox Relay lets you make one use emails for that stuff built into the signup bar.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Firefox Relay lets you make one use emails for that stuff built into the signup bar.

Interesting, I shall look in to that. I haven't used firefox for a few years now.
I was using a couple of other services for that but they have a habit of dying.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

winegums posted:

I'm sure everyone knows, but to be clear - a "bed" isn't just a mattress, bedframe and some monitoring. It reflects having enough staffing (particularly nursing) to monitor patients, administer treatment etc.

I didn't lol, but then I'm busy writing this year's email. Whilst is still not great it does provide some very useful context. Your post, not my email.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
For all your burner email needs

https://www.guerrillamail.com/

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

winegums posted:

We ran out of regional neonatal intensive care beds in our region (North East) last week. AFAIK there hasn't been a surge of sick kids. The most likely cause is going to be rules regarding positive covid testing/track and tracing. The NICU I work at presently has had massive staffing issues and I know about 1/3 of the midwives in the obstetric unit are currently off isolating, which has had massive impact on their ability to staff services.

I think more than a few people don't understand this. EG all those anti-covid protestors breaking into 'empty' hospitals, not understanding that the relatively small number of ICU beds need - what is it - 6? - staff per bed?

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice

winegums posted:

I did not know this and I am not ashamed to admit it.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think more than a few people don't understand this. EG all those anti-covid protestors breaking into 'empty' hospitals, not understanding that the relatively small number of ICU beds need - what is it - 6? - staff per bed?

Staffing per patient will vary. I wouldn't pretend to know much about adult medicine (paging @Jabby), but in neonatology your nursing ratio depends on the level of dependency a baby needs. An intubated baby will need 1:1 nursing, one on less invasive ventilatory support like CPAP or high flow would need more like 2:1. On an adult ITU I imagine you'd have 1:1 nursing for every patient, plus the additional staff needed to cover breaks, restock, coordinate, do outreach etc etc etc.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
There are other apparent doctors in the replies saying that there are beds, but I have no idea how many beds there ought to be, other than 'more then zero'.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Yeah, it looks as though she was wrong and there are ICU beds. I guess she must have personally experienced a hiccup and misinterpreted it.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

It's inefficient to have spare beds and you don't want the NHS paying bedroom tax. Fold out ICUs in the consultants second homes imho

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyone else use Thunderbird email?
Whatever options I pick in account settings, it is refusing to download purported Junk Email from my webmail accounts! I just had to sign in to one of my webmail accounts via browser from my work laptop and found loads of items in the Junk folder that (a) I haven't seen and (b) aren't junk.
Any clues as to what is going wrong?
(I have 18* email accounts so really don't want to have to sign in to them all individually!)
*via Thunderbird. I have more than that.

Is that IMAP? (I sure hope it is).

Right click on the account in tree of folders, "Subscribe…", do the folders in question have ticks? If not, tick them.

Note that while Thunderbird can handle an astounding volume of mail (I get thousands a day across half a dozen accounts) it is infamously impossible to debug if it screws up.

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyone else use Thunderbird email?
Whatever options I pick in account settings, it is refusing to download purported Junk Email from my webmail accounts! I just had to sign in to one of my webmail accounts via browser from my work laptop and found loads of items in the Junk folder that (a) I haven't seen and (b) aren't junk.
Any clues as to what is going wrong?
(I have 18* email accounts so really don't want to have to sign in to them all individually!)
*via Thunderbird. I have more than that.

Are you using POP3 or IMAP? You want the latter really as that will sync all folders. If you're already using that, you can right-click on the account name on the left in Thunderbird and choose Subscribe to select which folders sync. Or at least you could 5 years ago when I last used it.

If that still doesn't work, there might be a setting on the webmail side that's preventing it syncing but can't really help with that without knowing what you're using.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Thunderbird chat:
Yes I'm using IMAP and I assumed it would download all the folders, but apparently not. (I was previously using Windows Live Mail 2012 (NOT the same as Windows Mail) which automatically pulled down all the folders but some of my mail providers decided not to like WLM anymore so I had to switch to another collector.

Subsequently, I thought I'd ticked everything but also apparently not!

I find Thunderbird a little quirky.

Thanks folks!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

How many temporarily embarrassed Nigerian princes' bank accounts have you missed out of a share on?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

fuctifino posted:

Yeah, it looks as though she was wrong and there are ICU beds. I guess she must have personally experienced a hiccup and misinterpreted it.

Her tweet has gone if you mean the Dr katie one.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

winegums posted:

Staffing per patient will vary. I wouldn't pretend to know much about adult medicine (paging @Jabby), but in neonatology your nursing ratio depends on the level of dependency a baby needs. An intubated baby will need 1:1 nursing, one on less invasive ventilatory support like CPAP or high flow would need more like 2:1. On an adult ITU I imagine you'd have 1:1 nursing for every patient, plus the additional staff needed to cover breaks, restock, coordinate, do outreach etc etc etc.

I don't think you were getting 1:1 care unless you were extremely unwell during the last wave. When your ITU expands 3x there's no way you can suddenly obtain 3x the nurses to provide said care.

By default though ITU care should be 1:1.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Through the power of this meme, I now understand the Tories NHS funding policy.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's good at least that the overwhelming majority of people at work seem to still be wearing masks.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i went to tesco a couple of weeks ago at about this time and there were only a few people in the place wearing them, even though it's still legally mandatory here :mad:

i gave out some glares and head shakes, i tell you

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Almost everyone at the Co-op was wearing a mask except for one man who looked a bit like
only a lot more satisfied, presumably because the wokes couldn't stop him voting for Hard Covid now.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Last couple of times I've been to a shop nearby, hardly any bugger's been masked. :negative:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
last time I went the shops (day before Freedom Day) there seemed to be way more people not bothering with masks

also a noticeable number of the absolute cuntts who decide to wear it on their chin, because ???

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Her tweet has gone if you mean the Dr katie one.

At least the last three tweets if not more linked to here have been deleted. It makes reading the thread great.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I'd say about three-quarters of the people coming into the pharmacy are still masked. I've been a bit more lax about wearing it in the dispensary, admittedly, because the heat is absolutely killing me, but I still wear it in the shop.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I've had to stop and take a few breaths without it sometimes yeah cos the heat and moisture does make it hard to breathe in them sometimes.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

winegums posted:

People make the same mistake about evacuation zones for things like natural disasters. It's not necessarily the area that will suffer devastation, it's the area likely to be inaccessible and/or without basic supplies (water, electric). If you fall over and break a leg, you better hope where you're laying is comfy, because it might take a couple of days for help to reach you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

There were so many people not wearing masks when I went into town today. Even in the pharmacy, where there's a sign out strongly asking for people to wear masks, someone just walked in sniffling and coughing without a mask. It was similar in the supermarket too.

Some people just don't give a poo poo :(