Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

What we got in the preview:

Featurette where I was already pumping cum and tears at the time due to the sheer fact of seeing and hearing things about the movie
From this point on I’m full on trembling
Timmy’s personal message followed by the first 10 minutes of the film
More Timmy, introducing DV
DV introducing the spice harvester scene
Harvester scene in full
A sizzle reel of shots from the trailer, WHICH IS STILL COMING UP at this point
DV introducing his chat with Hans Zimmer
Hans in conversation with DV jerking off about music and Dune and the way other films about empires are jank
The new trailer!

A lotta spoilers in the next post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1417864706098872325

kynes, thufit, rabban too

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Why do they hate eyebrows in the future so much

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Jeez it's...it's real. Man if I could tell 13 year-old me reading Dune for the first time that my friend in 7th grade in suburban Kansas was going to play Piter one day...

Also they released it on David's birthday which made for a pretty cool instagram post

kiimo fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jul 21, 2021

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

First 10 mins

Arrakis
The movie begins with what we later learn is the voice, that’s before studio cards. Well I was in stupor and forgot what was said. Seemed like an ominous thing related to the books themes
After the title card we’re on Arrakis and Chani speaks in a voice over about how she loves the planet, hates the harkonnen (shots of general oppression and rabban with his whip), is surprised that they left out of nowhere, fears what the new rulers will bring.
Chani is actually in a fremen guerilla crew jumping a harvester and generally getting wasted and barely escaping with their lives, Harkonnen harvesters are heavily guarded, they have what seemed like cluster munition ready to deploy against attackers.
The design of harkonnen stillsuits have a lot in common to let’s say, skinnier versions of big daddies from bioshock.
With Chani’s words about the new rulers we jump to

Next part

Caladan
A fairly cheesy sci-fi cliche title card “planet caladan, home of the atreides , year 10…. 091?”
Paul wakes up, a glow globe approaches it looks to like a gyro stabilized wide ring of light
Paul eats healthy jam for breakfast with Jessica, she’s sitting next to approx 10 gallons of water strategically positioned in flagons, pitchers and glasses around her
They are talking about Paul’s dress code for the upcoming visit from imperial posse
Paul doesn’t understand what the fuss is about if it’s already been decided…. - “ceremony”, Jessica says
Paul gestures for water, jessica tells him to use the voice on her if he wants it
Paul half asses it, fails, concentrates, sound design gets muted, a bellowing command in the lowest frequency’s supported by your IMAX experience sounds off. It’s barely understandable - like the first words spoken in the movie.
Jessica feels compelled by the voice but overcomes it, “it almost worked” she says. Paul scoffs.

Then

A bare room with things already packed in your sci fi cyber boxes
Paul projects a solido on arrakis and the dastardly fremen
Reads up on stillsuits in an old timey book with XIX century style drawings
Your basic introduction to the setting, following from the early set up by chani

Finally

Caladan landing pad
Atreides army in formation backs up the family, everyone is there. Thufir takes the space of two men with his wide stance (lol)
Shots of guild high liner hanging over the planet. A giant, GIANT cigar with a smooth opening on two(?) ends akin to front of an old timey sports car's aerodynamically shaped, oval air intake.
It’s huge, a tiny ship emerges from it to land on Arrakis. It is a sphere, think the ship they land on the moon with in 2001, the egg shaped one. I would say a direct inspiration. (Or the ship the two high af aliens crash land in the Heavy Metal movie). It descends on the landing pad.

The scale of this thing!!!

It extends its landing gear which is itself the size of like 10 story building

A no joke carpet rolls out of the ship. Well a ramp extends, 100m wide, the ramp is carpeted.

A delegation, including the imperial envoy walks to the landing pad.
It includes:
Sardaukar (black, tacticool, no faced)
A Bene gesserit witch (not Charlotte Rampling or my eyes deceive me), to be frank she was veiled all the time and Jessica trembled when she spotted her, so by all counts she probably was the magical pussy possessing Gaius Helen Mohiam
GUILD STEERSMEN, suited up in sort of light colored space suits, the bulbous helmets showing lots of orange :gas: floating inside. Faces obscured, proportions human.
The imperial envoy, carrying a bit of 300’s Xerxes presence but without all the jewelry.

The formal process of transferring Arrakis to Atreides thus began.

The dude rolled out a medieval style parchment scroll (Uber sized), read the lease conditions out loud, got everyones John Hancocks and seals (duke of course had the seal on his famed ring).

The Duke had a short speech about atreides honor and not skipping on any, even the most treacherous and see through orders from their buddy, the emperor.
When he finished talking the troops behind him shouted 4 times “Atreides, we are dumb!”

Have to take a breather before the harvester scene

Anne Frank Funk fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 21, 2021

Odoyle
Sep 9, 2003
Odoyle Rules!

Anne Frank Funk posted:

First 10 mins

“Atreides, we are dumb!”

:lol:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

losing my mind. making GBS threads my pants.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

The harvester scene is introduced by Villeneuve as his favorite in the movie

Everyone knows the plot so I’ll skip the beat by beat recollection.
Major deviation from the book:
The carryall actually lands on the harvester, it’s there, I was like WTF!? But one of its attachment points used to lift the harvester is broken so it can’t lift it. That causes the Duke to order the rescue mission

Obviously the duke exclaims “drat the spice!”

More deviations: when Paul gets the first whiff of spice rich sand he comes into sort of a trance on the ground, when he should be directing people to his fathers thopter he just falls to his knees and has bit of a mindfuck. Words whisper on the wind “kwisatz haderach is awakening!” (I know this only from the subtitles, it was largely unintelligible, likely not to be consciously understood by the English language audience who will watch it without subs).
The sound design changes for Paul’s vision. We can hear almost nothing until Gurney grabs him by the shoulders and drags him to the thopter, then they leave, watching the worm swallow the harvester from the thopter’s ramp (promo pic from way back).

Look and feel:
Harvester looks like a big industrial purpose built machine on very large threads. Boxy looking. Sound of it is on point.
The carryall is as big as the harvester, the tethers have big articulated grabbers (one of which mysteriously doesn’t work)
Spotters look like small versions of the spherical ship from the first 10 minutes, look to be using antigravity tech to fly.

All the important stuff is there, like stripping the thopters out of unnecessary bulk, Kynes impressions of Duke (unspoken)

Everything apart from the few fremen hitching a ride on the harvester.

Of note: the harvester workers look gnarly af. Like miners from the chernobyl hbo series. Men shaped and in the process of being killed by their work. Nice touch but blink and you’ll miss it

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

not reading any of it. just making GBS threads my pants while staring at the giant redacted block. it's happening.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I, too, have wormsign.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

As for the trailer, it will be out soon enough, hard to describe it scene by scene obviously. There are new shots, there are shots I’ll be able to reference my above descriptions to.

It’s more coherent than the first trailer, but both show the innate inability of trailers to capture the feeling of watching the movie at its correct pace IMO

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

priznat posted:

Why do they hate eyebrows in the future so much

They used them all on Thufir and Piter in the Lynch movie, there are none left.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

imagine being a director and having a free year to work on the marketing and editing of your epic, with great power comes comes

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

There is like one sentence uttered by @duneauthor in the featurette

Remember to blink, and hopefully you’ll miss it

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I suppose I'm getting pretty interested in seeing this movie Dune

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Star Wars for adults

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

the trailer they released last year is still really good, it holds up

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Haha I see you’re trying to manage by coming for a fix of the old stuff. Read the spoilers dude… you know you want to

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Anne Frank Funk posted:

Haha I see you’re trying to manage by coming for a fix of the old stuff. Read the spoilers dude… you know you want to

ahhhhhhhhhhhh

tearing my hair out

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Anne Frank Funk posted:

The harvester scene is introduced by Villeneuve as his favorite in the movie

Everyone knows the plot so I’ll skip the beat by beat recollection.
Major deviation from the book:
The carryall actually lands on the harvester, it’s there, I was like WTF!? But one of its attachment points used to lift the harvester is broken so it can’t lift it. That causes the Duke to order the rescue mission

Obviously the duke exclaims “drat the spice!”

More deviations: when Paul gets the first whiff of spice rich sand he comes into sort of a trance on the ground, when he should be directing people to his fathers thopter he just falls to his knees and has bit of a mindfuck. Words whisper on the wind “kwisatz haderach is awakening!” (I know this only from the subtitles, it was largely unintelligible, likely not to be consciously understood by the English language audience who will watch it without subs).
The sound design changes for Paul’s vision. We can hear almost nothing until Gurney grabs him by the shoulders and drags him to the thopter, then they leave, watching the worm swallow the harvester from the thopter’s ramp (promo pic from way back).

Look and feel:
Harvester looks like a big industrial purpose built machine on very large threads. Boxy looking. Sound of it is on point.
The carryall is as big as the harvester, the tethers have big articulated grabbers (one of which mysteriously doesn’t work)
Spotters look like small versions of the spherical ship from the first 10 minutes, look to be using antigravity tech to fly.

All the important stuff is there, like stripping the thopters out of unnecessary bulk, Kynes impressions of Duke (unspoken)

Everything apart from the few fremen hitching a ride on the harvester.

Of note: the harvester workers look gnarly af. Like miners from the chernobyl hbo series. Men shaped and in the process of being killed by their work. Nice touch but blink and you’ll miss it

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

for real lmao. It was shockingly easy to forget about the movie after the trailer and the delays but now...

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

From the trailer:
Paul has a friggin’ armor plated golden stillsuit later in the movie

Lol, just lol

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

When is the new trailer coming out anyway

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Tomorrow.

Mentat's calculations are shown by them rolling their eyes to show only the whites in a rather mechanical way

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just happy that none of this sounds like they're just ripping poo poo off of the Lynch/Syfy adaptations and actually doing another adaptation of the book.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

yeah, it looks like a wholly separate vision, with obvious signs of DV aestethics à la Arrival/BR2049

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lol

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Anne Frank Funk posted:

yeah, it looks like a wholly separate vision, with obvious signs of DV aestethics à la Arrival/BR2049

Saw a post elsewhere saying the opening explicitly calls this Part 1? Is that true?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

"Episode IV"

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Jewmanji posted:

Saw a post elsewhere saying the opening explicitly calls this Part 1? Is that true?

yes

famous last words

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

and on every one of those posters it says 'it begins'

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Anne Frank Funk posted:

yes

famous last words

I want a Part 2 as much as anyone but I cannot for the life of me imagine how anyone, even Villeneuve, can film the sandworm riding scene and not make it look goofy as hell. It cannot be done. Also... how on earth are they going to do Alia? Just get a super precocious kid to read the lines?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

and on every one of those posters it says 'it begins'

That seems like generic movie hype rather than a more firm commitment.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Anne Frank Funk posted:

There is like one sentence uttered by @duneauthor in the featurette

Remember to blink, and hopefully you’ll miss it
I'm gonna make a fanedit that cuts out that part.

Trump
Jul 16, 2003

Cute

Twitch posted:

I'm just happy that none of this sounds like they're just ripping poo poo off of the Lynch/Syfy adaptations and actually doing another adaptation of the book.

Because that's what you expected with Villeneuve at the helm?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

I want a Part 2 as much as anyone but I cannot for the life of me imagine how anyone, even Villeneuve, can film the sandworm riding scene and not make it look goofy as hell. It cannot be done.

denis using the best source materials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ojbKTSoFM8

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Jewmanji posted:

I want a Part 2 as much as anyone but I cannot for the life of me imagine how anyone, even Villeneuve, can film the sandworm riding scene and not make it look goofy as hell. It cannot be done. Also... how on earth are they going to do Alia? Just get a super precocious kid to read the lines?

Lynch dubbed an actor reading over Alicia Witt's lines. Seems like a decent approach.

CGI like Yoda

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

ya'll are gonna have your mind's blown when they play the MC Hammer Dune theme.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

In the book she sounds like a baby but talks like an adult

quote:

her half-lisping voice, still blurred as it was by an unformed soft palate

so I would set that up, but then reveal her different, adult abomination voice as purely dubbed with no mouth-sync. Since it's established that she can penetrate minds etc. Might be the cleanest way to do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I will not spoil

Spoilers are the joy killers

Spoilers are the little black bars that bring total death of a fresh movie experience

I will face the spoilers

I will.permit my mouse to skip the black bars

And when I have scrolled past the black bars I will turn my inner eye to pure hype

And when the black bars have gone there will be a fresh page

Spoilers are the joy killers