Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

FalconImpala posted:

I know this is the wrong place to complain but I really want this show to click for me. I love Tim & Eric, I really love Nathan for You, and I'm glad that Netflix is trying non-sitcom comedy. The setups have me laughing pretty hard, but somehow, I'm cold after the first 60 seconds. I can kind of go, "I know where this is going: the other characters in the scene will realistically point out the silly premise, Tim Robinson will go into angry denial, they will point out he is being unreasonable, and he will deny more until he is forcibly removed." It's like an improv scene with every actor saying "no".
I would just suck it up and say I have a different sense of humor, but I've never heard this much lavish praise in the media for any comedy show, ever. My friends are quoting it like it's Borat and 2007. Now I'm wondering if I'm super out of touch, or looking at it from the wrong angle?
Like the Ghost Tour bit, I had enough clues in the first 45 seconds to realize that it would be the same joke for the next 5 minutes, until the other characters get tired of it and kick him out. The Focus Group guy is the closest thing to my sense of humor because everyone hated Paul instead, when I expected it to be the same formula... but then the later sketches go back to the formula.
I'm not sure what it is. Maybe I'm used to having more suspension of disbelief for comedy? There's some long articles about the "political implications" of a guy who's denying something over and over until he gets what he deserves. Maybe people are just laughing at the idea of that guy finally getting owned.

Sounds like you don’t really enjoy it. Humor is subjective and not everything will tickle your funny bond; it’s okay. You don’t have to write essays on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

FalconImpala posted:

I know this is the wrong place to complain but I really want this show to click for me. I love Tim & Eric, I really love Nathan for You, and I'm glad that Netflix is trying non-sitcom comedy. The setups have me laughing pretty hard, but somehow, I'm cold after the first 60 seconds. I can kind of go, "I know where this is going: the other characters in the scene will realistically point out the silly premise, Tim Robinson will go into angry denial, they will point out he is being unreasonable, and he will deny more until he is forcibly removed." It's like an improv scene with every actor saying "no".
I would just suck it up and say I have a different sense of humor, but I've never heard this much lavish praise in the media for any comedy show, ever. My friends are quoting it like it's Borat and 2007. Now I'm wondering if I'm super out of touch, or looking at it from the wrong angle?
Like the Ghost Tour bit, I had enough clues in the first 45 seconds to realize that it would be the same joke for the next 5 minutes, until the other characters get tired of it and kick him out. The Focus Group guy is the closest thing to my sense of humor because everyone hated Paul instead, when I expected it to be the same formula... but then the later sketches go back to the formula.
I'm not sure what it is. Maybe I'm used to having more suspension of disbelief for comedy? There's some long articles about the "political implications" of a guy who's denying something over and over until he gets what he deserves. Maybe people are just laughing at the idea of that guy finally getting owned.

I love the show, but these are all fair criticisms. What really sells it for me is the performances from basically everyone.

fawning deference posted:

Tim's delivery and expressions are just the fuckin' best.

Brian with the hat, his "what the hell." And the baby sketch, "I used to be a fffffuckin pieceofshit" under his breath. Unbelievable
"That's your voice? I've never talked to him, his voice is wiiiildly high."

"Random!" from the hot dog sketch in season 1.

Every reaction shot from every character in the Driver's Ed sketch is amazing.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

FalconImpala posted:

Seems like anything you don't find funny you can examine and describe it to death, seent plenty of people do that with literally every other show you mentioned as well. At the end of the day you can't think yourself into finding something hilarious if you already don't think it's funny.

My friends aren't quoting poo poo, it's just me going "ohhh that naughty old elf must be a real mean bastard to give us this so eArLY" and cackling to myself

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

FalconImpala posted:

These are valid criticisms. I agree that the initial sketch premise is typically only funny for the first minute but then the sketches go on for three or four more minutes. I would agree with others that it’s the performances, especially from Tim himself, that make it work. Still, it’s not quite the genius show it’s being touted to be and season 2 IMO was a step down.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I think the reason some of the bits are so good are BECAUSE you know where it's going and it's still hysterical because of his delivery.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I think Season 2 was better than Season 1, and this remains the funniest show currently on television.

If it doesn't work for you, that's cool. There's plenty of things other people find funny that don't work for me, but that's life, buddy.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I watched season 1 completely stone faced with a “this is entertaining to watch but it’s very awkward and uncomfortable in a way that doesn’t make me laugh.” Upon rewatching some episodes I smiled a bit.

Season 2 I actually laughed. The Dan Flashes sketch, the hat sketch, and especially the tables sketch are really funny. A lot of what makes the sketches funny outside if the initial premise is the delivery and the way the sentences are structured.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Ccs posted:

I watched season 1 completely stone faced with a “this is entertaining to watch but it’s very awkward and uncomfortable in a way that doesn’t make me laugh.” Upon rewatching some episodes I smiled a bit.

About one in every 5-10 sketches does that to me. Like in the waiter brothers sketch when he says "I'm not paying" the awkwardness goes off the charts for me and I can barely keep watching, like my soul is leaving my body. I'm not saying the sketch is bad, just that it's not the kind of sketch I want more of.

But give me 100x more Ghost Tours. The delivery of "do any of these . . . fuckers" will make me laugh every single time.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

The John Early sketch is definitely awkward. I mentioned it above -- I really like John Early but he's just trying too hard to do the Tim Robinson psycho delivery and it falls really flat, and when you don't nail the delivery a sketch like that quickly becomes unwatchable. Patti Harrison and Tim are really the only two who can nail it, imo.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Patti Harrison and Tim are really the only two who can nail it, imo.

S3 needs a sketch where they interact directly, our minds might not be able to take it.

(Do they in the 'santa came early' sketch? I'm blanking. I know they don't in the shark tank and tables sketches at least).

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

EL BROMANCE posted:

S3 needs a sketch where they interact directly, our minds might not be able to take it.

(Do they in the 'santa came early' sketch? I'm blanking. I know they don't in the shark tank and tables sketches at least).

Yes, at the end.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that's where I was blanking, couldn't remember if it was Tim who came in for the last segment. A tease of what could be!

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

The John Early sketch is definitely awkward. I mentioned it above -- I really like John Early but he's just trying too hard to do the Tim Robinson psycho delivery and it falls really flat, and when you don't nail the delivery a sketch like that quickly becomes unwatchable. Patti Harrison and Tim are really the only two who can nail it, imo.

It really just isn't a very good sketch. It has an obvious premise, which is fine because a lot of them do, but all of the quirky touches (the popular globe-trotting dude, the waiter brothers, the bad boyfriend) just don't hit. Early is very funny and I hope he gets to do something better if there's a season 3.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
that sketch needed the old man from focus group. I still liked that sketch because I'm with the dude, it's a stupid game and I'm not paying.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

No coffin please! Just wet, wet mud.

BAE!!!

Haschel Cedricson
Jan 4, 2006

Brinkmanship

Jokymi posted:

After rewatching the entire 2nd season, I think the Blues Brothers sketch turned out to be a real sleeper favorite of mine. Just the pure madcap energy of every moment with the dance, the music, the dog barking, Connor O'Malley screaming.

I agree. "Nobody likes what you are doing!" is a fantastic line.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
The two big misses for me in S2 were after describing everything about Dan Flashes in the boardroom meeting, they show it in the commercial for Shops at the Creek. Same with the Sloppy Steaks skit. It's a sin in comedy to stay too long in a joke.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Counterpoint: If they didn't show sloppy steaks, for the rest of your life your brain would need to see it for real, eventually no longer satisfied with the imagined version of it, until your body made you ruin a good steak just to see it for real, finally.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Counterpoint: If they didn't show sloppy steaks, for the rest of your life your brain would need to see it for real, eventually no longer satisfied with the imagined version of it, until your body made you ruin a good steak just to see it for real, finally.

actually this would be good

the dan flashes follow up was bad though, the imagined store is much funnier than whatever they could have shown

I wish there were more sketches like the professor sketch where Tim is the straight man. He's very good at it and too many sketches rely on him devolving into shouting as a crutch.

Detroiters season 2 also suffered from having Tim yell more often than not.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I really enjoyed the random pathos in Season 2:
- Ghost tour guys ride home with religious mom
- sleepover guy loves his wife
- Bob Odenkirk tearing up

Everyone’s focusing on the angry/absurd/yelling bits of the show but when they contrast so sharply with these sad (touching?) little vignettes it’s extremely funny.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

space uncle posted:

Everyone’s focusing on the angry/absurd/yelling bits of the show but when they contrast so sharply with these sad (touching?) little vignettes it’s extremely funny.
That’s kind of where the sloppy steaks sketch winds up.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

If nothing else, extending the sloppy steaks sketch was worth it for ~dangerous nights~

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

ShakeZula posted:

If nothing else, extending the sloppy steaks sketch was worth it for ~dangerous nights~

If I unironically like the song ~dangerous nights~ and want to slop up some steaks with the boys and sip champagne on the beach….
Am I a piece of poo poo?

Should I give a rats rear end?

Do you think my baby will judge me?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

space uncle posted:

If I unironically like the song ~dangerous nights~ and want to slop up some steaks with the boys and sip champagne on the beach….
Am I a piece of poo poo?

Don't worry, people can change.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sloppy steaks expansion was good, Dan Flashes expansion less so. That one worked better when I was just imagining this chaotic store full of complicated loud shirts imo

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Escobarbarian posted:

Sloppy steaks expansion was good, Dan Flashes expansion less so. That one worked better when I was just imagining this chaotic store full of complicated loud shirts imo

the boss being there was the bright spot of the callback

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

space uncle posted:

So much of the show’s pathos hinges on characters who are outsiders that desperately want to feel included or have status, but don’t have the emotional intelligence or social skills to do so. Its…relatable.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

ShakeZula posted:

Here's a take - I've been obsessed with this dumb beautiful show since it came out in 2019 and probably more than any show I can recall, I have fervently lobbied my friends and family and anyone else to watch it because I enjoy it so much.

There are so many great sketches, or even a really funny line or a weird phrase they will repeat in bad ones. Sometimes I am almost doubled over laughing just READING a summary or article ranking the sketches and just the dumb concepts of some of these. But somehow the thing that has stuck with me the most is the songs that have been featured.

The perfect cut to the theme song after pretty much every opening sketch where Tim or another character did the most awkward thing possible, then doubled down, lies about it, then triples down.

The incredibly bleak old-timey song when his elderly mom wearing a wig picks him up from the adult ghost tour.

“The Day Robert Palins Murdered Me” interspersed with “the guy said ‘gospel isn't selling, gimme something spooky!’”

Explosions in the Sky instrumental song like the end of a CW teen drama tv show playing as Lev succumbs to Jacob’s mudpie.

Sam Richardson pageant-singing “Baby of the Year” with the video montage of toes like tiny curled shrimp.

The perfect Black Keys-esque dad rock song and those middle-aged guys just absolutely jamming out with their TC Tuggers.

Reenacting the Blues Brother song, progressively turning up the volume while the dog goes loving crazy.

Johnny being prompted to sing “Palm Tree” by a sleazy, trying-not-to-break-after-every-line Robbie Star at Superstar Track Records and insisting that “Moon River Rock” IS in his Q-Zone.

Fred Willard as the substitute funeral organ player.

The gauzy, dreamlike “Dangerous Nights” with auto-tuned vocals during the montage showing the baby when Tim used to be a piece of poo poo.

Singing “Fri Day Nite” at his mom’s funeral.

I find myself humming one of these goddamn songs around the house, or wake up and “baby baby baby” theme song is bouncing around in my head. I love this weird show for many reasons, somehow it's the music that makes it perfect.

sticksy fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Jul 22, 2021

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Haschel Cedricson posted:

I agree. "Nobody likes what you are doing!" is a fantastic line.

Just everyone arguing about why the dog is barking as though it's not obviously the man manically flailing around right in front of them. "He thinks it's a different guy!"

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006

Dr_Amazing posted:

Just everyone arguing about why the dog is barking as though it's not obviously the man manically flailing around right in front of them. "He thinks it's a different guy!"

I love how he said no to taking off the hat and glasses and there is absolutely nothing they can do about it and the guy immediately acknowledges it, as if he couldn't just get up and take the stuff off himself.

"Can you take off the hat and glasses?"
"No."
"drat it!"
"But if you just take off the hat and glasses..."
"HE SAID NO JANINE!!!"

Also it's hilarious how the situation is clearly out of hand and the girlfriend continues to turn up the volume anyway at his request.

It's probably my favorite sketch out the two seasons.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Dr_Amazing posted:

It's her house, she's just doing what's right!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Impeccable casting of Jamie Taco in the latest season.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Connor O'Malley needs his own show. His YouTube channel is loving insane and awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjse_2s-hhY

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dr_Amazing posted:

I have a cat that used to run and hide when I switched from my regular glasses to sunglasses. Even now, there's still a few moments hesitation with her where she's like "Wait, is that Davros1?"

Obstacle
Mar 7, 2007
Yeah there are just so many lines that are stuck in my head. It really is the delivery on all of these that make them so special.

"But she's beautiful and she's dying."

"It actually does kill Craig. You don't know."

My favorite though is "she just keeps eating batteries." It's become my go to phrase whenever a coworker or client continues to do a dumb thing.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

triples of the barracuda, triples of the roadrunner, triples of the nova

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Bob Odenkirk is just really incredible

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

EL BROMANCE posted:

Connor O'Malley needs his own show. His YouTube channel is loving insane and awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjse_2s-hhY

Definitely agree he needs his own show, but he's also going to be in an A24 movie with Lee Pace and the woman who played Borat's daughter, so I feel like that at least is him going up in the world.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
If you like Connor O'Malley I would like to recommend Joe Pera Talks with You. It's maybe my favorite thing that's come out of Adult Swim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Chairman Capone posted:

Definitely agree he needs his own show, but he's also going to be in an A24 movie with Lee Pace and the woman who played Borat's daughter, so I feel like that at least is him going up in the world.

Well that's hitting a whole lot of interest points for me, so hot drat I've got something new to look forward to.

Consummate Professional posted:

If you like Connor O'Malley I would like to recommend Joe Pera Talks with You. It's maybe my favorite thing that's come out of Adult Swim.

The perfect egg bite.