Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Captain Foo)
How do you feel about Archnemesis mods on rares?
Incredibly fun, I love them!
They're alright
Needs more work
Almost as much fun as shoving a red hot nail under my fingernail
Other (post below)
View Results

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

I'm looking at Leadership's Price with the reworked ailment thresholds, cold conduction nerf, and the fact it can get an anoint now. Not sure what to do with it, though. Last time I looked at it was Ritual for crit conversion explode chest but it was unnecessary as the explosions were more than enough to chain wipe everything instantly without it.

Scion (Pathfinder + ??) Explosive Concoction maybe? I can't wait for gems and PoB update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

External Organs posted:

From that chart back there with metamorph being highest, I choose to have these takeaways:

1. People want permanent map hack
2. The game would do better if all NPCs wore old timey diving bells.
3. Color pallettes truly don't matter :gonk:

Metamorph league was the 3.0 conqueror's expansion and the new atlas was still shiny and new and people didn't have to regrind the watchstones yet.

I also really really miss the maphack for rare monsters.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Red Red Blue posted:

the baffling part to me is why they felt the need to blast cold dot builds like that in the first place

Every other build got smacked around but cold dot is probably one of the most affected and its just baffling the way they did it.

1)Bonechill- Got smacked really hard, no point in running it anymore as a secondary link
2)Hypothermia- Got smacked really hard, no point in running it in a dot build at all

Every other support gem got hit about as hard, but because those two got neutered the effective damage decreases a lot. Vortex wasnt even a top tier damage set up, but I'm guessing that the strength of cold occultist combined with her immunity to freeze and the premium that comes with plus the defensive strength of being able to chill enemies was too much for Chris Wilson.

I dont know why you'd want to make a cold dot build instead of some sort of FP or GC build if cold is what you want. It got hit a whole lot less hard.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Also cmon man just use the actual nerf slogan "Path of Exile: It's Nerf or Nothing".

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

Devor posted:

Consider your meta shook up

were slams really that meta though, with the most popular skills only seeing 1% usage and seismic cry only seeing 4% usage?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think this is right . For chieftain with ancestral bond:

6L: Tec Slam - earth breaker support - multi totem - 3 supports.

Another 6L: Vaal ancestral war chief - multi totem - 4 supports

Somewhere random: ancestral protector

You should be able to get 2 CP totems, 2 AW totems and 1 AP totem down regularly ?

This would not use BLS and stack phys to make use of the ngamahu ascendency node. Full fire conversion.

And then VAW when it is up ?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ringo Roadagain posted:

were slams really that meta though, with the most popular skills only seeing 1% usage and seismic cry only seeing 4% usage?

It was the build quin ran every single build since he got to sirus for the first time I think

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ringo Roadagain posted:

Its meta in HC leagues

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

MMF Freeway posted:

Its meta in HC leagues

ah yeah. forgot about HC

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Ringo Roadagain posted:

ah yeah. forgot about HC

Don't worry, most do.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

So what are folks starter thoughts? Meta predictions? Interesting interactions, or support gems that have improved in relative position a lot?

I'm pretty sure that minion guardian is gonna be good this league, with some new skills that look good or at least fun to try, plenty of effective fallback options, and some great defensive layers. And I saw a great memey description of Battlemage's cry Dom blow Absolution - big bonk broski and his battalion of born-again buddies. Leaning this way or Raider.

Speaking of Raider, you've got lots of options. Raider still has one of the easiest times getting ailment immunity and ican probably make good use of the new ward defense. Since Ice Bite didn't get a big nerf, the frenzy pathway might be good on Raider. Trinity ice bite cold/lightning spectral helix is a better molten strike for bossing, frost blades for clear. Raider is also a great trapper. Explosive trap looks amazing. Ice trap too, especially for bosses, because of the lowered ailment threshold. Lightning Spire trap changes look juiciest to me on the limited traps, and lightning trap and arc trap both have good clear. Comedy option - storm rain trap with coated shrapnel and doomfletch?!

Eye of Winter is a skill that I really want to be good. I'm not sure what to build it as - occultist is an option with good ascendancy support, and freeze and stun immunity are super strong defensively. Raider could be great for the reasons above. If I don't start Guardian, I'll probably start Raider Eye of Winter.

Deadeye storm rain is intriguing - with a slightly slower game pace, and the very high arrow limit, the mirage archer path could work really well.

Bane didn't get nerfed quite as hard as other skills given that it only uses three supports and the curse support nerf wasn't huge. But being relatively less nerfed might not make up for the lower ceiling Bane started with.

The shield skills still call to me, and I hope I can resist their siren song and start pretty much anything else. I just really want Captain America to be good in PoE. Sst should level well enough, let you try out shield crush too, and pivoting from glad shield skills to bleed glad, or cold conversion raider shield skills to another option should not be too hard. Gladiator remains a strong defensive ascendancy with challenger charges providing one good option for speed, and with bleedsplosions providing another. Swapping into lacerate bleed wouldn't be too difficult if they don't work out. Deadeye could also be strong, though I think this would be the roughest option if the shield stuff doesn't work out.

In terms of support gems, trinity remains one of the strongest damage supports, and works automatically with wild strike and elemental hit now. That's pretty cool. P2L and C2F weren't nerfed, and since a 5L sees less relative damage nerf than a 6L Frostferno looks really good. Penetration gems weren't nerfed as much. Lvl 1 gems didn't get hit as hard - is this bitterdream's time to shine? Flat added gems are relatively more powerful both because the gems didn't get big nerfs and added damage effectiveness was increased on many skills. Intensify, pinpoint, and unleash all look better than ever before. Rage wasn't nerfed other than the mana cost. Nightblade and the crit supports too. Vile toxins is now a good hit damage support if you can reliably poison even if you're not primarily scaling poison. Since empowers won't drop leveled, they're probably a better offhand leveling option than they've been for a while. Similarly, the div card flip will be lucrative. With the nerf to support gems, having 2 active skill gems on 4 support gems in a 6 link may be a pretty viable thing again now - think that ice spear unleash build from back in the day.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

POB's current dev status is tree is in, uniques are in, general changes (poison, cons ground, base eva) have a pr, gem changes have a pull request, gems are being worked on. Flasks and mods haven't been updated, but I think those generally get auto-imported once they are available to be datamined.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Raider sc+sst

Because reasons.

Grimoire
Jul 9, 2003

Erulisse posted:

Raider sc+sst

Because reasons.

this is why I switch up my verbiage when I shitpost

Actual content though, a decent shield is the equivalent of a 900+ pdps 1 hander now. Crush gonna work

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I'm thinking eye of winter totem hierophant so I can experience the thrilling new Templar dialogue in part 2

alternatively, CP totem chief (or maybe leap slam totem chief if that's actually viable)

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

pork never goes bad posted:

So what are folks starter thoughts?

I'm starting low life lightning trap. Shavs/Presence will be expensive early but I'm a poopsocker the first week so it shouldn't be a big deal. Late game you're looking at plenty of damage, 9k+ ES, ~1k+ ES regen, capped block with glancing blows and 450+ ES on block, blind aoe and ignite/shock immunity. It also didn't get hit very hard by the mana multiplier increases.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Storm rain ballistas with the new ballista support + primary skill of new lightning arrow for shocks and to trigger the ballistas might be hilarious.

I guess to be tanky you could go champion for it.

Did anyone mention that Delerium is one of the Zana mods again? People generally enjoyed that before...or was that harvest.

marie_eh
Mar 21, 2008

I'm thinking Storm Rain Raider, with an easy swap to toxic rain if thats not good. Alternatively, SST or Shield Crush Bleed/Impale on Glad seems solid.

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I don't understand exactly how hard flasks have been nerfed. They switched the verbiage on all of the flasks from 'removes' to grants 'immunity for 1 second'. Does that mean:
A) When you become immune the ailment is effectively removed because it can't apply to you?
B) The ailment stays on you but for one second it's not doing its damage.

And if it's B, isn't it just going to kill me a second later because I have no way of removing it?

Forgive me if I have a basic misunderstanding of the way something works. I'm not usually piano-ing flasks but I would definitely hammer them all the moment I started taking DoT or saw an ailment trigger.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Leatherhead posted:

I don't understand exactly how hard flasks have been nerfed. They switched the verbiage on all of the flasks from 'removes' to grants 'immunity for 1 second'. Does that mean:
A) When you become immune the ailment is effectively removed because it can't apply to you?
B) The ailment stays on you but for one second it's not doing its damage.

And if it's B, isn't it just going to kill me a second later because I have no way of removing it?

Forgive me if I have a basic misunderstanding of the way something works. I'm not usually piano-ing flasks but I would definitely hammer them all the moment I started taking DoT or saw an ailment trigger.

Mark_GGG posted:

Becoming Immune to a debuff always removes that debuff. That has not changed.

Previously, the immunity lasted for the flask duration, which meant instant flasks, having no duration, did not actually make you immune. This is why the mod previously needed an explicit removal as well as immunity. The immunity now always has a duration, so having explicit removal in addition to immunity would be redundant.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
16c Delirium mod LOL. rip Essence :(

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

lamentable dustman posted:

I did a sweep bleed build a while ago (harvest league I think). The skill felt really good but the 30 limit was noticeable and annoying. I'd leap slam into a fat pack and a quarter of the mobs wouldn't get hit on the tail end of the attack animation so even pops couldn't cover it up.

Maybe something could be cooked up sweep-wise. 30 feels limiting, but I don't think I see 100 mobs very often. Maybe bleed gladiator or something? Dunno!

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

Oh thank god.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You
E: mobile posting sucks.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You
I was watching Kripp read the patch notes last night and even he was laughing at a lot of the changes and calling them "overdone".

Let that sink in for a second.

CredulousAtBest
Oct 4, 2020
My name is CredulousAtBest. Glenn Greenwald constantly owning me has resulted in my prodromal schizophrenia, so please be polite when you deal with psychotic breaks and kindly nod to my unintelligible tripe.
I just hope Consecrated Path totems work because that'd be pretty cool

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009
Still wonder how well GC+Consecrated Path would work.

But in all likelihood I'd prob just fall back to GCBF. Either that, or aurabot.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Leatherhead posted:

quote:

Becoming Immune to a debuff always removes that debuff. That has not changed.

Previously, the immunity lasted for the flask duration, which meant instant flasks, having no duration, did not actually make you immune. This is why the mod previously needed an explicit removal as well as immunity. The immunity now always has a duration, so having explicit removal in addition to immunity would be redundant.
Oh thank god.

Oh, thank god they explained that, because I wasn't sure myself despite having played the game for several years.

Because, you know, the mechanics of POE are simple, well explained, and easily understood.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Kevos Setzer posted:

Oh, thank god they explained that, because I wasn't sure myself despite having played the game for several years.

Because, you know, the mechanics of POE are simple, well explained, and easily understood.

Yeah, that certainly looked a good deal worse than their stated goal of "flasks only confer immunity to conditions you actually have, as opposed to conditions you could get over the duration of the flask effect". Which is still not great, but there's still a reason to carry around bleed and heat flasks, at least.

Wuxi
Apr 3, 2012

Raider is the best ascendancy in the game now, but the frenzy path still isn't worth taking. You still need the phasing path for elemental ailment avoidance and the dodge and the onslaught path for insane evasion scaling. She has the attack speed to work well with strike skills and is positioned well to use claws or daggers, since Nightblade Support looks pretty impressive.
Occultist is another strong one - freeze/chill immunity and curses as a defensive layer are basically untouched. The only downside is that you're kinda pidgeon-holed into cold skills and cold DoT is absolutely dead
Slayer and Berserker look to be the kings of melee ascendancies. Berserker a bit better with strike skills, since it has the attack speed to make Multistrike feel good, but Slayer still packs a lot of damage and some utility with overleech, aoe increases and reflect immunity
Saboteur also has a lot of utility. Shock/Ignite immunity, blind aura, reflect immunity. All the stand-alone traps are strong, with Shockwave, Ice and Explosive Trap being the most impressive looking

Looking at the skill balancing all strike skills and non-slam non-strike stuff looks good. Wild Strike suffers a bit from EE being out of the way, but its a gigantic boost if you can fit it in, Lightning Strike was good before and now has a new look. Bladestorm/Sweep/Cleave were all good skills that nobody used since they weren't slams. Multistrike is probably the least nerfed pure damage support and works especially well with strike skills already. Rage Support wasn't nerfed at all and fits the playstyle as well.
Spectral Shield Throw essentially hasn't changed, unless you somehow manage to make a bleed Gladiator that can fully stack Crimson Dance with it, but it hasn't been nerfed either and its a good skill already. Shield Crush might help it in the single target part, but I'm not going to make and predictions about how good the new skills are going to be - I've always gotten these wrong anyway.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

facepalmolive posted:

Still wonder how well GC+Consecrated Path would work.

But in all likelihood I'd prob just fall back to GCBF. Either that, or aurabot.

Yeah blade flurry just is mechanically the best afaict . The AI on the dudes seems to take advantage of it well

Theli
Jan 23, 2002

SORRY ABOUT MY TAINT
Fun Shoe
I'm really struggling to come up with a leaguestarter after reading the patch notes. Was already planning on going Raider or Pathfinder for movement speed and ailment immunity (or near-as), and that hasn't changed, but I have no idea what skill to use.

Don't want to go with bows, since I did that last league, but with the poison buff I'm wondering if Poison BV PF might be interesting. I did it with Assassin back in Harvest and it was great, but Assassin's been nerfed to all hell since then.

Raider trapper is looking good, but seems like everyone is thinking the same thing and I'm guessing Tinkerskin and Slavedriver's Hand are gonna be multiple ex for at least the first several weeks. Never done any trapper or miner before though, and while I love trying new builds I'm not sure if I want to league start with one.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Slayer VDS looks fine and you can try the new support.

The rage cyclone skill for Berseker also looks solid and hard to gently caress up

Frozen orb totems looks solid. New skill on a tried and true base

Gladiator max block anything has been solid forever.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jul 21, 2021

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Traxis posted:

I'm starting low life lightning trap. Shavs/Presence will be expensive early but I'm a poopsocker the first week so it shouldn't be a big deal. Late game you're looking at plenty of damage, 9k+ ES, ~1k+ ES regen, capped block with glancing blows and 450+ ES on block, blind aoe and ignite/shock immunity. It also didn't get hit very hard by the mana multiplier increases.

This sounds right up my alley. Know if anyone had a guide that's decent?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

queeb posted:

This sounds right up my alley. Know if anyone had a guide that's decent?

Not fully updated for 3.15 yet: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2661748/page/1

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.
Has there ever been a Battlemage build worth playing? Thinking about that Battlemage Cry and I wanna crib some notes from good battlemage builds (if, indeed, any have ever existed)

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Arakaali's Fang necromancers were already a pretty decent off-beat build, and they might actually be the only existing build that profited from these patchnotes, with the +50% More on the fairly hefty poison component of spider damage easily outweighing three nerfed support gems. I'm probably going necro myself.

edit: withering touch wasn't nerfed at all it seems, so two nerfed support gems

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Erulisse posted:

Raider sc+sst

Because reasons.

I....think I'm gonna league start this as long as someone puts out a halfway decent starter guide since I don't have time to crunch numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Jinnigan posted:

Has there ever been a Battlemage build worth playing? Thinking about that Battlemage Cry and I wanna crib some notes from good battlemage builds (if, indeed, any have ever existed)

Guardian HoP with smite, rallying cry, and battlemage's cry triggering absolution. Can't possibly be bad!