Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
CAGE VS STARKS 22 18.33%
CAGE VS HARDY 7 5.83%
PAGE VS DARBY 61 50.83%
THE MAGICAL GIRL VS THE BAD GIRL 11 9.17%
MOX VS KARL 13 10.83%
SAM VS WHEELER 6 5.00%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Silver doesnt call her pooplander for nothing ...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
I've been told future AEW superstar CM Punk got the stankass.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I still have no idea how the ratings work if Abadon is 11-1 and isn't ranked above Stat or Shida.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

ThePariah posted:

Yet another old guy taking a spot that should go to homegrown talent smh

Hangman is that old.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

sticklefifer posted:

I still have no idea how the ratings work if Abadon is 11-1 and isn't ranked above Stat or Shida.

They work however AEW wants them to work

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Numbers aren't loving real.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
As people have said already, even if AEW doesn't need Punk they should absolutely get him if they can get him.

MJeff posted:

I will go one step further.

If he were to become available, AEW should sign Dolph Ziggler. :colbert:

They should bring in Ziggler but only to job to :honk:

sticklefifer posted:

I don't know how to break this to you, but the rankings are a work.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Jordan7hm posted:

It's interesting that both the Acclaimed and Varsity Blondes remain at the top despite their losses to the Bucks.

I think the tag team rankings are kind of a holding pattern because Uno and Grayson are getting the next shot.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Do you guys think they'll eventually pair or at least associate Mox with Death Triangle, given his connection to Eddie and Eddie's connection to Penta?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Feels like they'll get that Dark program going with Blonds vs Acclaimed going a big match in a special dynamite to see who gets the next shot at the Bucks. Winning team inevitably loses, and then we keep building for Uno and Stu vs Bucks at All Out.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

No way, "This Fire Burns" is a way better song than that. The god pop he received in that Chicago match against Cena/Johnny Ace was to that song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wroqcQVcoIg

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

sticklefifer posted:

Because Shida and Statlander have had multiple high profile wins on Dynamite/PPV in 2021 while Abadon has only done squash matches on Dark. Obviously it's wrestling so the logic is kind of loose and not always followed, but AEW seems to do a "strength of schedule" kinda thing with the rankings where having recent victories on an important show counts a lot more than beating 20 jobbers in the Youtube B-Show.

They've been generally consistent on having rankings reflect this, and usually when people complain it's cause they either weren't paying attention or don't really get how rankings work. Like when Hangman dropped from the No 1 spot after losing to Brian Cage and for some reason people get really mad about it cause the thought that losing a match might cause someone to drop in the rankings never entered their heads.

The only time off the top of my head they've truly broken the logic of the rankings was Britt Baker's build to her Shida title match which was basically "I'm gonna go grind XP on Dark until I get a title shot" which completely ignored the way they usually work the rankings and is part of why I wasn't that big on the storyline for that title win.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Cerebral Bore posted:

I don't know how to break this to you, but the rankings are a work.

Yea but it should have some sort of internal consistent logic or why even bother with a graphic every week, why even have a win/loss record?Just have Tony khan come out and say " yea, buttmcstank is the number one contender now" and peace out.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Defenestrategy posted:

Yea but it should have some sort of internal consistent logic or why even bother with a graphic every week, why even have a win/loss record?Just have Tony khan come out and say " yea, buttmcstank is the number one contender now" and peace out.

“The rankings aren’t a debate. They are what they are. Complaining isn’t conversation.” -BBT

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
People still going "why is this Dark shmuck not ranked" in the year of our lord 2021.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Do you guys think they'll eventually pair or at least associate Mox with Death Triangle, given his connection to Eddie and Eddie's connection to Penta?

He already has worked with them before, so, yeah, I do think he'll circle back to them again.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
The purpose for power rankings in every sport is to get people bantering over the power rankings

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Defenestrategy posted:

The logic is that the governing body also considers quality of opposition when making the rankings. Or if you want simpler logic, you win a lot you get ranked and if you manage hang around for long enough you become #1 contender eventually.

NULL_SIGNAL
Feb 19, 2013

disappointed that no one is talking about the best option for Punk's return theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z54MpfR3XE4

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Either TK should give up on the rankings or the entire Gunn Club should fill the top 5 and thus get title shots every dynamite.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

How many years does AEW have to be in business before people understand "The company wants to put the No 1 Contender's Match on a Big Show because that Makes More Money! A lower ranked contender having a title match before that on a less important show doesn't break this logic."

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

As previously stated, the rankings satisfy AEW's "real sports feel" promise because fans argue about them constantly and no explanation of how they're calculated makes enough sense to shut anyone up. It's right up there with the bad officiating.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's not like real combat sports rankings make perfect sense either so actually it's just Big Bicep Tony being realistic.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

doesn't the UFC consistently have the champion defend against people who aren't necessarily ranked #1 at the time

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'm begging you guys please don't look into the UFC rankings if the AEW ones are working you for being too fake.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

CombineThresher posted:

As previously stated, the rankings satisfy AEW's "real sports feel" promise because fans argue about them constantly and no explanation of how they're calculated makes enough sense to shut anyone up. It's right up there with the bad officiating.

now we just need some sort of... wrestlers association... some sort of.... collective barganing unit?? they could use to negotiate with the owners..... hm

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

What would the "Real Sports" version of AEW that people are somehow still enraged we never got even look like? Were they expecting like New Japan but in English?

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014

CombineThresher posted:

It's like college football playoffs discussion but year round

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gumball Gumption posted:

I'm begging you guys please don't look into the UFC rankings if the AEW ones are working you for being too fake.

I know how sports rankings work but then again I don't pay enough attention to UFC to know what they do so apparently that was a bad example :v:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Drakkel posted:

What would the "Real Sports" version of AEW that people are somehow still enraged we never got even look like? Were they expecting like New Japan but in English?

The people who are still screaming about how AEW were horrible liars for promising more of a real sports feel are just looking for reasons to get upset, hth.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm real happy with AEW so I'm glad it turned out this way.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The BCS/AP rankings are sincerely one of my favorite small parts of AEW. Just legitimate enough to be useful for booking and storytelling, just stupid enough to make me laugh, always fulfilling their purpose of getting people going "He shouldn't be there!" Bravo.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Sports are lovely and boring and I’m glad AEW is just silly pro wrestling

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones
I can't imagine "real sports feel" wrestling being anything but real boring.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Rarity posted:

AEW's roster is amazing, they don't need Punk

I haven't sat down and watched a weekly wrestling show in an age. If Punk signs with Dynamite, I would watch every week. He's the reason I got back into this hell-hobby in 2011.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I like when they do a results crawl for the Darks on Dynamite. Oh, the signed guy won, huh?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

The people who are still screaming about how AEW were horrible liars for promising more of a real sports feel are just looking for reasons to get upset, hth.

Yeah, I think people sometimes still get tripped up on what they mean. I know I expected NJPW. But I've also accepted what they really meant, that the framing of the show is an athletic one. The wrestlers are athletes, they are here to play a sport and work their way up, and like every sport the athletes are a bunch of basket cases who would legit murder each other if allowed. Even when they're trying to murder each other that reflects on them as athletes in their chase to the top

And that's honestly a big difference from what WWE does where it just kind of exists in a void. In WWE it's a show where you get sports entertained and sometimes the sports entertainers fight over personal problems and sometimes they fight over a thing called a title.

The people who are still mad are just looking for reasons to be mad.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
almost the entirety of aew is basically pwg and chikara people, and one of their most over groups had a whole thing about an invisible hand grenade exploding the entire ring

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
hire all the Ants coward tony and the ultramantis too

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Mr. Squishy posted:

I like when they do a results crawl for the Darks on Dynamite. Oh, the signed guy won, huh?

Part of me wishes they did a quick video recap of Dark/Elevation. Not huge just like, I dunno 2 to 3 minutes of showing the finishes/big spots of each match so people remember these characters exist. The crawl's a decent idea but extremely easy to miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They had a Picture in Picture for Wheeler Yuta last week showing his Dark/Elevation wins that worked perfectly