Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
CAGE VS STARKS 22 18.33%
CAGE VS HARDY 7 5.83%
PAGE VS DARBY 61 50.83%
THE MAGICAL GIRL VS THE BAD GIRL 11 9.17%
MOX VS KARL 13 10.83%
SAM VS WHEELER 6 5.00%
Total: 120 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

StarkRavingMad posted:

I agree and also feel like they're two very different signings. DBry is a "there's a bunch of dream matches we can have" guy. Punk, you're bringing in as a personality.

It's also funny to go back and read the pipebomb promo now because it's still stuff people are saying ten years later:

There’s a bunch of CM Punk matches I’d like to see. He’s a guy who really got on the map because of a dog collar match with Raven and a match where he did headlocks for an hour. He can have great matches with the guys in AEW because even in his early 40s he really has never done anything he can’t do now.

Except the Pepsi Plunge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Evil Badman posted:

For what it's worth, AEW has been really good about their high-profile hires. I don't think any of them (Miro, Mox, Christian, Sting, etc.) have been immediately injected into any title program. They've done starting angles with other talent.

Christian held up the world belt on like his 2nd appearanmce with the company but thankfully theyve forgotten about that

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pylons posted:

Brodie was, but those are kind of understandable circumstances.

Ehhhh even Brodie killed jobbers for like a month before challenging Mox.

One can assume that if they hadn't been operating on a skeleton crew at that time he probably would've been beating midcarders instead.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Just get KENTA in so Punk, Wardlow, KENTA and Sammy can have a 4 Way GTS match

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

In a more interesting and AEW related things: Does anyone have the gif of our beloved Hollywood Honk running around the ring and doing a crossbody splash on a big indie guy but he does nothing to that guy and falls to the ground? It was a Cezar Bononi iirc.

This but "I'm pessimistic because Vince and Triple H hurt me before"

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
Punk and Bryan are debuting as a tag team. And they're jobbing to TH2.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MJeff posted:

I swear to God, you guys are going to make my head explode if we do this "ehhhhhhh but does AEW really neeeeeeed him?" thing every single time somebody becomes available. :cripes:

THE ANSWER IS ALWAYS YES.

Matt Cardona

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Christian held up the world belt on like his 2nd appearanmce with the company but thankfully theyve forgotten about that

to be fair, i think its ok for a new guy to come out and declare his intentions that way, but its even better that in AEW that doesn't mean you just get a title shot because you said you wanted it, he has been wrestling a lot and winning but he's still not in the top 5 of wins so he has to keep working for it and that rocks

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

Well yeah, he wants the belt, but AEW is good about having logical roadblocks to people can't just wander into the title picture from jobbing the week prior in like 6 minutes.

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Hangman Page beats Kenny Omega in the "All Out" main event for the AEW World Championship. Hangman and the Dark Order celebrate with drinks, and then CM Punk comes out and knocks the drink out of Hangman's hand.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Just get KENTA in so Punk, Wardlow, KENTA and Sammy can have a 4 Way GTS match

luchasaurus did a choke slam gts thing on fuego on dark, it was pretty sick

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I mean that was basically just them getting some B-roll. The next week Christian immediately said "well yeah I know I gotta get wins first."

IcePhoenix posted:

Matt Cardona

Yes. Sign Matt Cardona. Worst case scenario, he's a TV-ready guy who looks good and can talk and can work that you can put with people on Dark Elevation to get them reps with a good vet.

Having said that, I think Cardona is probably enjoying himself more as a (I think relatively highly pushed?) guy in Impact and doing poo poo with Nick Gage on the indies.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Grant DaNasty posted:

Hangman Page beats Kenny Omega in the "All Out" main event for the AEW World Championship. Hangman and the Dark Order celebrate with drinks, and then CM Punk comes out and knocks the drink out of Hangman's hand and wipes 10's cocaine from the table.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Really hope The Butcher pops up for the Blade/OC match tonight

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.
I don’t think that the roster is bloated either, and I really enjoy the stories weaving in and out of Dynamite with these special events. I like seeing different focuses around the edges. sometimes Kenny Omega isn’t even on the show and it builds around a match between people that maybe you wouldn’t have thought you could build a show around a few years ago. Dynamite has never felt stagnant except for maybe some of the preempted shows. I don’t think you can have “too much” talent in a wrestling company. wrestling is already too much! that’s why it rules!

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

MJeff posted:

I mean that was basically just them getting some B-roll. The next week Christian immediately said "well yeah I know I gotta get wins first."

Yes. Sign Matt Cardona. Worst case scenario, he's a TV-ready guy who looks good and can talk and can work that you can put with people on Dark Elevation to get them reps with a good vet.

Having said that, I think Cardona is probably enjoying himself more as a (I think relatively highly pushed?) guy in Impact and doing poo poo with Nick Gage on the indies.

chelsea green just joined impact too so even more reason for him to hang out over there

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

:emptyquote:

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

aew's track record means that i am excited for any signing and will "wait and see" if their debut doesn't work out exactly perfect or blow my nuts off

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Gonzo McFee posted:

Don't get me wrong, I want to see Punk in AEW. But AEW already has an absolutely bloated roster and only two hours of TV time, going up to three.

I think they do a really good job rotating people in and out. Where WWE spends 45 minutes per episode on a single guy every week, AEW has an ebb and flow to who's headlining. Look at last week's show, it was drat near perfect pacing. Add an hour for Rampage to that, and they're doing just fine with the roster they have. Now that they're on the road and have their roster solidified too, they can also give more attention to things that were lacking before, like angles on Dark and more women's matches. I also don't think that Punk and/or Bryan would tip that balance too much; they'd make them pick up wins just like everyone else before they could challenge for belts.

I think the only issue is that some of the divisions have too many contenders in them, but that's part of why everyone's clamoring for Trios titles.

karmicknight posted:

This does check out, yeah.

:frogsiren: Hey, just a reminder that you wanted to name the Dynamite thread after Schiavone's "Fyter Fest 2 Night" flub on Dark.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

yea ok posted:

aew's track record means that i am excited for any signing and will "wait and see" if their debut doesn't work out exactly perfect or blow my nuts off

yea this

i just dont think its going to happen at all because WWE is the (relatively) safe money and vince loves part timers

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

:frogsiren: Hey, just a reminder that you wanted to name the Dynamite thread after Schiavone's "Fyter Fest 2 Night" flub on Dark.

thank you.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Waffleopolis posted:

8.) Sign Maki Itoh

Ok now I'm on board

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Grant DaNasty posted:

Hangman Page beats Kenny Omega in the "All Out" main event for the AEW World Championship. Hangman and the Dark Order celebrate with drinks, and then CM Punk comes out and knocks the drink out of Hangman's hand.

He'd be the most hated heel in all of wrestling.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

I think CM Punk is gonna debut tonight. Gonna be pretty disappointing if he doesn’t and Tony needs to learn to temper expectations

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

WWE: Turns ricochet, keith lee, bayley, etc etc into jokes and frauds
AEW: Ryan Nemeth and Cezar Bononi are fun to see on the television or computer.
Smartest fans in wrestling: Not sure if they can utilize cm punk at all

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

boxcarhobo posted:

yea this

i just dont think its going to happen at all because WWE is the (relatively) safe money and vince loves part timers

This isn’t even remotely true anymore lol. AEW cut basically no one during a pandemic and WWE cut Braun Strowman while raking in record profits

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

It's a shame because "the third biggest wrestling show of 7/21" would have worked too

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
CM Punk vs MJF would be an excellent feud.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

JUNGLE BOY posted:

This isn’t even remotely true anymore lol. AEW cut basically no one during a pandemic and WWE cut Braun Strowman while raking in record profits

yea for full time talent, im saying vince loves the nostalgia pop more than anyone else on his roster and i would bet vince gives punk that type of deal

but maybe not idk

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/TommyEnd/status/1417896440991453185?s=19

Maki Itoh/Lance Archer vs. Tommy End/Miyu Yamashita

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MassRafTer posted:

Except the Pepsi Plunge.
he should absolutely do the pepsi plunge once, but only for a nearfall, it would break so many people's brains

Grant DaNasty posted:

I'd want the poo poo out of this, if only for the promos colt and punk would cut on one another

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Waffleopolis posted:

8.) Sign Maki Itoh

Should be #1 imho

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

This is the truest thing anyone here has ever posted.

I don't care if Punk gets signed but if he does I KNOW AEW will use him well.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

It’s a moot point anyways because CM Punk will have a guaranteed, no cut clause contract regardless of where he goes

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I will go one step further.

If he were to become available, AEW should sign Dolph Ziggler. :colbert:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Pylons posted:

https://twitter.com/TommyEnd/status/1417896440991453185?s=19

Maki Itoh/Chris Brookes vs. Tommy End/Miyu Yamashita

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MJeff posted:

He's not the worst of the Nemeth brothers. I'll give him that.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

MJeff posted:

now you're just trying to start poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

MJeff posted: