Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I hate myself for saying this, but the trailer isn't very impressive.

I'd say it looks like a bit of a filler (what it is) and plays on the tired TG/GT stereotypes of Clarkson being the old shithead, May being the intelligent but inept and Hammond being the America-head.

We know that Clarkson isn't that person, May isn't that person, and Hammond, well, might be that person.

It lacks the honesty that May in Japan had, or Clakson's farm had. It is a nice trailer, but I am afraid that it resets back to the "Top gear people", who are not who these people are and since I have seen them elsewhere is getting pretty tiresome. Let Clarkson have some intelligence beyond the "POWER" and give May a place to be competent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Bim!

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Der Kyhe posted:

I'd say it looks like a bit of a filler (what it is) and plays on the tired TG/GT stereotypes of Clarkson being the old shithead, May being the intelligent but inept and Hammond being the America-head.

We know that Clarkson isn't that person, May isn't that person, and Hammond, well, might be that person.

It lacks the honesty that May in Japan had, or Clakson's farm had. It is a nice trailer, but I am afraid that it resets back to the "Top gear people", who are not who these people are and since I have seen them elsewhere is getting pretty tiresome. Let Clarkson have some intelligence beyond the "POWER" and give May a place to be competent.

If you look that deeply into it, you'll end up disappointed no matter what. If you can't separate the art from the artist, you need to recognize the problem is in the bias you bring to the work and not the work itself.

Clarkson is a profound shithead in real life. But I still enjoy his buffoonery. It kinda borders on hatewatch, but TGT is still well produced entertainment.

Captain Toasted
Jan 3, 2009

Der Kyhe posted:

If you watched Clarkson’s farm and walked away with any thought other than “Clarkson is an old shithead” I don’t know what to tell you.

Excited for the new special, not so excited to see all the comments complaining about how fake and scripted it is. They even made an episode making fun of that back in season 2 called “unscripted”. It sucked.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Kinda lol here
https://twitter.com/jeremyclarkson/status/1417563225063895050

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Bumble Dong posted:

If you watched Clarkson’s farm and walked away with any thought other than “Clarkson is an old shithead” I don’t know what to tell you.

The takeaway from Clarkson's Farm is that the character Jeremy Clarkson is an old shithead, and that the real life human being Jeremy Clarkson often plays in to the character Jeremy Clarkson. But in the overall thrust of the show and the actual issues it raises (the difficulty of rural life, environmental concerns including global warming, the need for an appropriate governmental safety net for the food supply and those working in it, the fact that sometimes you can indeed have too big a tractor, the importance of food safety, and the idea that animals are both cuddly/cute and can also be a pain in the rear end) it shows the real life human being Jeremy Clarkson to be somewhat more enlightened than most will give him credit for.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It's an insight into how our food infrastructure is just a bit of mismanagement or bad weather away from being totally hosed.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

It's an insight into how our food infrastructure is just a bit of mismanagement or bad weather away from being totally hosed.

Well, yes. Always has been see all the numerous devastating famines throughout history. The way that’s mitigated is with trade and being able to source stuff internationally when there are issues.

So, uh, Clarkson’s Farm is also back door anti-brexit?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Clarkson is basically Stephen Colbert for Brits

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

:toot:

https://youtu.be/WX7-3E6cirQ

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk

Murgos posted:

Well, yes. Always has been see all the numerous devastating famines throughout history. The way that’s mitigated is with trade and being able to source stuff internationally when there are issues.

So, uh, Clarkson’s Farm is also back door anti-brexit?

He’s anti-brexit given his job heavily relied on being able to freely work across the continent.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
https://twitter.com/JeremyClarkson/status/1417775596566990848

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

drat it really worked :eyepop:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

BuckyDoneGun posted:

He’s anti-brexit given his job heavily relied on being able to freely work across the continent.

The Grand Tour character Jeremy Clarkson is also anti-Brexit, and commented so several times, so I can expect that Clarkson privately also is at least to some degree.

What I did not buy at all was that The Grand Tour-version of James May was anti-monarchist. The guy basically embodies the 50's and 60's in his other shows. To me its just unclear are we talking about 1860's or 1960's.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The takeaway from Clarkson's Farm is that the character Jeremy Clarkson is an old shithead, and that the real life human being Jeremy Clarkson often plays in to the character Jeremy Clarkson. But in the overall thrust of the show and the actual issues it raises (the difficulty of rural life, environmental concerns including global warming, the need for an appropriate governmental safety net for the food supply and those working in it, the fact that sometimes you can indeed have too big a tractor, the importance of food safety, and the idea that animals are both cuddly/cute and can also be a pain in the rear end) it shows the real life human being Jeremy Clarkson to be somewhat more enlightened than most will give him credit for.

100% agree. I posted something similar earlier in the thread. Also the other 2 gentlemen that are part of the larger grand tour are also simultaneously playing charactures of them selves that are not 100% their real selves. "Captain slow" being a prime example.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Mr Beens posted:

100% agree. I posted something similar earlier in the thread. Also the other 2 gentlemen that are part of the larger grand tour are also simultaneously playing charactures of them selves that are not 100% their real selves. "Captain slow" being a prime example.

May definitely is excruciatingly tedious with questionable technique in his cooking spam and bean sandwiches which he does quite enjoy.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I would have said Hammond was most obviously playing a character. It seems in later Top Gear episodes his character morphed into 'the stupid one'.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Plucky Brit posted:

I would have said Hammond was most obviously playing a character. It seems in later Top Gear episodes his character morphed into 'the stupid one'.

Well 'the giddy and stupid one' as opposed to Clarkson's 'oafish and stupid one'

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Still envious that even "the stupid one(s)" in a group of Brit personalities are still erudite and can turn a phrase like nobody's business

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

C'mon fellas, Lochdown is out! Loved it!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm watching it now. It's good so far. They put a a mask on Abbie's helmet

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I'm not really sure what the ending was supposed to be.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

I'm not really sure what the ending was supposed to be.

Yeah, kind of disappointing. Lots of disconnected bits that worked on their own but didn't really fit into a coherent narrative. I enjoyed it, but not one of their better efforts.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Just watched it; entertaining bit, although not their best work.

But as for a last-minute rear end pull because COVID-19 cancelled everything they were actually planning to do, it was better than I was expecting although it was showing that they had filler bits that didn't blend into the episode that seamlessly.

EDIT: My take on the ending was that in the 60's, 70's and 80's the stuff made in USA was made for the US markets and everything was made on their terms; now everything moves towards "made in China" or designed so that it will sell in Chinese markets, including and especially car designs.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jul 30, 2021

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

By "made for the US markets and everything was made on their terms," you mean they had an attitude of "Brand loyalty is king. Our customers will buy what we give them at the quality our accountants will pay for and what our drunk employees will build. No, I haven't heard of the Japanese. Who are they?"

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

FogHelmut posted:

By "made for the US markets and everything was made on their terms," you mean they had an attitude of "Brand loyalty is king. Our customers will buy what we give them at the quality our accountants will pay for and what our drunk employees will build. No, I haven't heard of the Japanese. Who are they?"

Well, yes.

And that everything is becoming Chinese these days, either because they were made there, or are made to attract the Chinese (and(or global) markets. They commented several times on the fact that those ridiculously long and low-power American street cruisers never "made it" outside very specific niche outside USA.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Thinking back, they also had a really narrow windows to shoot that thing, did they? I had a holiday in Scotland once, and the place is absolutely gorgeous. In this they mention it at start, but there really aren't that many prestige shots of the surroundings or the landscape.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
It was way better than the last one even with the disjointed covid nature of it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I really enjoyed it. Particularly the whole bridge bit, that was genuinely impressive and I can hardly believed that poo poo worked.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
That was a very forgettable episode. Watched it yesterday and it feels like half of it has already exited my brain. It was better than the Madagascar episode but meh.

In more positive news I've been slowly watching the farm show with the gf and we're both loving it.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Honestly, I felt like every set piece in this ep (the cars, the bridge, the writing, even the ending) save for one or two things was meant for their Russia trip, but because of the pandemic, they just did it all in Scotland and stitched it together as best they could.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I figured they would have given Hammond the smallest caravan.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Do they seriously just use a big clamp to put a trailer hitch on cars in Europe? Even Uhaul in the US will weld a trailer hitch on your car.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

Do they seriously just use a big clamp to put a trailer hitch on cars in Europe? Even Uhaul in the US will weld a trailer hitch on your car.

Every country on earth beside North America uses ISO 1103:2007 for trailers, either in ball or swan neck form. Swan neck is used for heavier/bigger cargo.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I realised I'd missed some of the prince andrew jokes and watched it a second time to enjoy them.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I enjoyed Hammond getting a Hammond sized boat then promptly sinking it

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

The ending was baffling

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Bape Culture posted:

The ending was baffling

I think it was just some shoehorned social commentary about how America outsources everything to China now. It was definitely weird for sure.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Yeah I feel like there was some explanation missing from the end, it was all very rushed and abrupt. Overall I enjoyed it though, was reasonable viewing. I still think my favourite top gear/grand tour special is still the Vietnam one though, seems like all of the subsequent ones were trying to capture whatever made that one so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
The whole mid-show muscle car break could've been it's own film, seemed really shoehorned in. The Riviera was epic, but the supercharger addition was wasted on that part of the film.