Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
So instead of summoning a Divine Knight you sort of become one, i'm sold.

Doesn't look hugely different from the old Phyre engine but nice use of colors, details, and costume designs I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

infraboy posted:

Official Kuro Trailer, Looks like Van can sort of do a Mcburnish thing or it's part of the Xiphas or an Artifact.

Enforcer III appears to be Lucrenzia, The Golden Butterfly, apparently related to Sharon and the organization they were in before. There is another dude, maybe the Thousand Oath Breaker?

I refuse to believe it's Thousand Oath Breaker because it's not Andre. Unless he grew a beard or something.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Veryslightlymad posted:

I refuse to believe it's Thousand Oath Breaker because it's not Andre. Unless he grew a beard or something.

Master of disguise.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Erebonia was the mecha arc, Kuro no Kiseki is the tokusatsu.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

Looks like the antagonists might be a mafia or triad? Strange that we haven't heard of this group before, given that Heiyue was a rookie power in Calvard and we heard about them 7 games ago.

infraboy posted:

So instead of summoning a Divine Knight you sort of become one, i'm sold.

Super Sentai.

There's almost certainly going to be a sidequest where Van dons his Sentai form (or a movie costume) and plays a Sentai hero for kids or as a part of a film production. Making a movie could be the school play/music festival of the game.

infraboy posted:

Doesn't look hugely different from the old Phyre engine but nice use of colors, details, and costume designs I think.

Artstyle ≠ engine.

Veryslightlymad posted:

Andre being the 4th Anguis would be great but after CS3+4 I have little faith in Falcom's planning for the overarching series.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Zero Punctuation just reviewed Monstrum Nox

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/ys-ix-monstrum-nox-zero-punctuation/

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wow that's the hardest I've not clicked something ever

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
in a shocking twist, he likes it and the Ys series quite a bit

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Moofia Boss Val posted:

Andre being the 4th Anguis would be great but after CS3+4 I have little faith in Falcom's planning for the overarching series.

The case for it is too good. Among stuff I have touched on before, Arianrhod refers to him (Oathbreaker) as the sinful one. This is how Andre refers to himself.

I need to replay CS2 to double check my memory. I think he might know you're going to Heimdall before you do. Can't confirm that. It'd be in Trista, though. I forget when the cast makes the plan, so I might be wrong.

He also says something about a traveling performer not choosing his destinations, they call to him like a siren. It's possible he was being cheeky and somewhat literal about receiving instructions from the Grandmaster.

If you ascribe to the hypothesis that the Grandmaster is Adios, then a LOT of what he says could be incredibly cheeky. And that sort of fits the overall character that has been built up for the Thousand Oathbreaker.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Not unsurprising as he's pretty forgiving of everything that isn't soulless garbage triple A stuff. If he can at least feel the devs were trying to make a good game he'll only really tear into them if they completely gently caress up some aspect of the game that turns it into a slog. Like if the Ys devs had decided that in order to make the game "better" by making it longer and decided to double the amount of waves in each of the raid fights then he would have probably poo poo all over them. As it is there isn't really anything offensive about Ys9's gameplay.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Veryslightlymad posted:

I need to replay CS2 to double check my memory. I think he might know you're going to Heimdall before you do. Can't confirm that. It'd be in Trista, though. I forget when the cast makes the plan, so I might be wrong.

I just beat CS2, so I can at least confirm that the plan to take back Heimdall, or at least for the Courageous to fly to the Imperial Villa to save the Emperor with the 4th and 5th armor divisions retake Heimdall, is made right after you liberate Trista and Thors academy.

And I think Andre is there playing while you're walking around the night of Dec 30th as well, though I can't recall if he teases that he knows you're going to help retake Heimdall

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I honestly can't even remember who Andre is. And the Kiseki wiki doesn't even have a page on the guy :lol:

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

I honestly can't even remember who Andre is. And the Kiseki wiki doesn't even have a page on the guy :lol:

Weird dude with violin, I think?

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

I still believe.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

SgtSteel91 posted:

I just beat CS2, so I can at least confirm that the plan to take back Heimdall, or at least for the Courageous to fly to the Imperial Villa to save the Emperor with the 4th and 5th armor divisions retake Heimdall, is made right after you liberate Trista and Thors academy.

And I think Andre is there playing while you're walking around the night of Dec 30th as well, though I can't recall if he teases that he knows you're going to help retake Heimdall

He says that the next place he feels called to is a city of 800,000 people. But his getting there is in the hands of you gentle (kind? Forget the exact wording here) souls.

He's seriously sketchy and much too conveniently omnipresent for the big story beats of CS2.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I won't be that surpised if Andre is a bigger deal than he appears but a goofy recurring npc that's always showing up in every new town isn't that weird or even unique. Like Anton and Ricky also have an uncanny knack to appear wherever the protagonists are and I don't think they'll end up being the 1st Anguis or anything.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I won't be that surpised if Andre is a bigger deal than he appears but a goofy recurring npc that's always showing up in every new town isn't that weird or even unique. Like Anton and Ricky also have an uncanny knack to appear wherever the protagonists are and I don't think they'll end up being the 1st Anguis or anything.

Yeah sure but the diference is that when they appeared in the Sky games they didn´t have a unique sprite.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

There is also one other anguis who didn't get a portrait.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Just unlocked Rita in Sky FC, this precious gun baby. Is she meant to be built more for autos or for arts?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tita's pretty weak at casting. Give her attack boosts and maybe some support arts like Clock Up or Earth Wall.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Give her petrify

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://twitter.com/yourvinished/status/1418384283257999361/photo/1

Takahiro Unisuga (one of the main composers for Trails since SC) is leaving Falcom. Kuro is his last game there, seems like.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

I wonder if he's retiring, or if he got an invitation for a higher paying job (is dumping your old company for a better paying one culturally acceptable in Japan?), or if he just wants to do freelancing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Moofia Boss Val posted:

I wonder if he's retiring, or if he got an invitation for a higher paying job (is dumping your old company for a better paying one culturally acceptable in Japan?)
obvs loyalty is a big thing, but if you're getting a better offer youre getting a better offer, theres no real getting around that. so long as you finish up the work on your plate before you leave its totally acceptable, and given kuro's coming out in a couple months the ost for it is almost certainly already done. hopefully he's going somewhere else or going freelance because hes a talented enough composer itd be sad to see him just quit.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Musicians and composers might not be the typical office “salaryman” types. And Falcom has surely had had talented musicians but they are still a small company and possibly cant pay out the big yen compared bigger companies.

The JDK team rocking it around the early 2010s are certainly different than the current one that did the 40th anniverssary concert

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM6743slxV0

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Endorph posted:

https://twitter.com/yourvinished/status/1418384283257999361/photo/1

Takahiro Unisuga (one of the main composers for Trails since SC) is leaving Falcom. Kuro is his last game there, seems like.

That really sucks, he was one of the last remaining genuine talents on the sound team. They're going to struggle to replace him, especially with how poor Falcom's reputation has become in the vgm industry.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bland posted:

They're going to struggle to replace him, especially with how poor Falcom's reputation has become in the vgm industry.

I don't really know much about the vgm industry but what's the story there?

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Ibblebibble posted:

Just unlocked Rita in Sky FC, this precious gun baby. Is she meant to be built more for autos or for arts?

Tita's Str and Ats stats are similar to Estelle's at comparable levels (though she does join at a lower level than the two protagonists to indicate her youth and inexperience), but her orbment is more unwieldy, giving her less art flexibility than Twintails. Her main strength is crowd control, due to her normal attacks hitting an AoE and her Smoke Cannon craft neutering mobs that don't resist blind status. You want to give her attack quartz and status quartz to add that extra effectiveness to her attacks and definitely some HP quartz so she's just a little less fragile and she can heal in an emergency.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno, not to be a hater, but Trails music is pretty lame. especially cold steel. I liked joshuas song, and I remember the battle music in crossbell was pretty good, but cold steel (all of them) was pretty generic and bland. Maybe I'm just spoiled by how many amazing soundtracks I've heard recently, but I hope when I get to play calvard 2 in 2030, the music is more memorable.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don't really know much about the vgm industry but what's the story there?

Full disclaimer: This story has never been officially confirmed and is mostly based on leaks from anonymous sources on Japanese message boards. A few years back the president of Falcom Masayuki Kato sabotaged a live video game music event that the jdk band (basically a band hired by Falcom that would do shows playing Falcom music) were going to perform at because he was worried some people involved in organising it might be trying to profit off of Falcom's music. This earned Falcom a lot of enmity in the industry (some people have theorised they might have even been effectively blacklisted) and caused most of the jdk band members to sever ties with the company.

Then there's the whole deal with Falcom refusing to credit their composers, even though they generally have multiple composers contributing on any given soundtrack. There's a group of people on one of the Falcom discords that spend a lot of time documenting the comings and goings of Falcom's sound team and working out the appropriate credits for Falcom's soundtracks for those interested [Link]

Then to top all that off Falcom is just generally a low budget company that are never going to try to attract talent by way of generous monetary compensation, which is why they've been relying more and more heavily on outsourcing over the last 10 years instead of bringing in more contracted composers.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Hmm. Not sure what the last game I played where I would say the soundtrack really stood out.

I want to say each Trails game has had one exceptional track and a bunch of inoffensive, appreciably jammin' tracks.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Ys VIII is pretty stand out IMO

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The castaway village theme was pretty grating as they'd play the serious music on a loop whenever there's a raid on.

In the endgame there's a raid that's split into 6 parts and lasts a total of 36 rounds. I never bothered with it so the annoying music never halted.

Ys IX had none of the pacing problems of VIII, and never ruined the good vibes of the home base.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAwzogp1ang

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

this just came to mind: has trails ever had an enemy capable of s-breaking on you (that is, just suddenly inserting their s-craft into the turn order like you always can)?

because if not, they should absolutely figure out a way to do that without making it completely random bullshit to fight against

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

only in cutscenes

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

I literally only noticed music was a thing on its own while playing Falcom games when I was like 18, so I strongly stand by them being absolutely amazing. Only issue is, between lots of songs getting reused and having tons of Falcom in my reading music Playlist, a certain level of "I've heard this so much, it bores me" plagues it. Luckily I've never felt that while playing except for town themes and the normal battle music, but that does also mean I'm kind of annoyed the bangers get used like twice in 100 hours.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
There are a few great songs: Orchis Tower theme, Whereabouts of Light (though it’s very derivative of the theme from Castle in the Sky), one from Sky soundtrack called something like Rememberemce of a Dream. But mostly I find the music in these games replacement level. I remember in Sky 2 I really grew to hate the “emotional” track that played during every backstory conversation that has the sound of like a music box cranking at the beginning.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

One thing that I kinda noticed in my playing through of the Ys series is that it really seemed like they dropped the violins past a point, which makes me sad since I'm a big fan of the whole mixing them with buttrock thing they did.

Sunshine Coast from VIII is great but I can't help but feel it'd be even better if it had the JDK style bombastic violin going on instead of the synth.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Erpy posted:

Tita's Str and Ats stats are similar to Estelle's at comparable levels (though she does join at a lower level than the two protagonists to indicate her youth and inexperience), but her orbment is more unwieldy, giving her less art flexibility than Twintails. Her main strength is crowd control, due to her normal attacks hitting an AoE and her Smoke Cannon craft neutering mobs that don't resist blind status. You want to give her attack quartz and status quartz to add that extra effectiveness to her attacks and definitely some HP quartz so she's just a little less fragile and she can heal in an emergency.

Thanks, I followed this advice and gave her Petrify, Attack 3, HP 3 and Range 1 along with a couple of others. Girl just kicks rear end with all her status effects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Eggnogium posted:

There are a few great songs: Orchis Tower theme, Whereabouts of Light (though it’s very derivative of the theme from Castle in the Sky), one from Sky soundtrack called something like Rememberemce of a Dream. But mostly I find the music in these games replacement level. I remember in Sky 2 I really grew to hate the “emotional” track that played during every backstory conversation that has the sound of like a music box cranking at the beginning.

The original version The Enforcers is my favorite "mysterious bad guy" theme of all time. It absolutely oozes with danger and cold, deadly menace; confidently beyond the listener's power.

The best tracks in video games evoke the narrative and tell a story. I can't explain it, but Inevitable Struggle (?)--- the end-of-chapter boss music in Zero-- somehow feels like it's trying to recap the entire game in a little over two minues of music. The later you get into the game, it almost feels like different verses when it loops, even though that's clearly insane of me to think. Right?

Ibblebibble posted:

Thanks, I followed this advice and gave her Petrify, Attack 3, HP 3 and Range 1 along with a couple of others. Girl just kicks rear end with all her status effects.

I think that's exactly how I built her.

Petrify is so good. I also made that the keystone of Estelle, because as the series goes on, the range on her Hurricane gets pretty nuts. You can get a ton of mileage out of putting a good status on Olivier, since he can put his AoE craft wherever he wants it, even centered on himself, and just nuke an entire random encounter. In Sky 1, you can go a step further and make him into a weirdly good lead-off attacker, but this stops being viable at about halfway through Sky 2 because his STR growth won't keep up with enemy defense after a point.