Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Dapper Walrus
Dec 28, 2011
Any recommendations on a general history of Puerto Rico?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

A Dapper Walrus posted:

Any recommendations on a general history of Puerto Rico?

Maybe not quite a general history, but my friend wrote this history of Puerto Rican workers' organization after 1898 that's coming out in November, so going to take the opportunity to promote it:

https://www.dukeupress.edu/the-lettered-barriada

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Global Disorder posted:

I can't help you with the military side, but Japanese historian Masayoshi Matsumura has two books about Japan's public diplomacy during the conflict: Baron Suematsu in Europe During the Russo-Japanese War and Baron Kaneko and the Russo-Japanese War. Very readable histories of two Meiji leaders attempting to convince Americans and British that Japan represented the West in a war against Asian barbarism. And their troubles dealing with the yellow peril idea that was spread around the time.

Nah, that's great. If you've got any recommendations for social histories of Japan and Korea around that time, that'd be even better.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Any recs for crazy bonkers WWII intelligence stories?

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Fighting Trousers posted:

Any recs for crazy bonkers WWII intelligence stories?

Agent Zigzag was a fun one, but the tone is definitely more pop-history than actual history book. Fun look into the British Double-Cross system though.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Picked up "The Anarchy: The Relentless Rise of the East India Company" and I'm pretty stoked to read it and get incredibly mad.
https://www.amazon.com/Anarchy-Relentless-Rise-India-Company/dp/1408864371

PerilPastry
Oct 10, 2012
Is there a go-to corrective/alternative to "Guns, Germs, and Steel" that doesn't veer into geographic determinism?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Lawman 0 posted:

Picked up "The Anarchy: The Relentless Rise of the East India Company" and I'm pretty stoked to read it and get incredibly mad.

I read that earlier this year and it's equal parts infuriating and entertaining.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

webmeister posted:

I read that earlier this year and it's equal parts infuriating and entertaining.

The lament of mughal officials wondering how they lost to a bunch of people who couldn't wash their butts is just. :discourse:

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Where can I learn as much detail about life in the Antebellum South as possible? I don't mind academic or dry.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bandiet posted:

Where can I learn as much detail about life in the Antebellum South as possible? I don't mind academic or dry.

I liked River of Dark Dreams: Slavery and Empire in the Cotton Kingdom by Walter Johnson, on how the cotton economy worked.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Bandiet posted:

One book that I like to recommend is Dwelling Place: A Plantation Epic by Erskine Clarke. It's a nonfiction account of a slave-owning family in SE Georgia, based on the family's letters, that follows them for several decades, up to the Civil War. What is interesting about it is that the author also tries to reconstruct the lives and lifestyles of the slaves on the plantation and in the surrounding area as well. Obviously, there are fewer surviving letters and other primary documents for the enslaved population, but the author still gives a comprehensive view of what life would have been like for those people at those times in those places.

Two main reasons I like to recommend it for people interested in reading about the antebellum South:

1) The situation is different in south-east Georgia than in some of the more famous areas in cotton country. The economy has different drivers, and the relationship between the white and black populations is somewhat different. For example, during the hot season, the slave-owning whites would all move to their coastal houses for better weather. The enslaved groups would be left basically on their own on the farming land; the health conditions were obviously worse, but they were not directly supervised by the white families for several months of the year, which led to differences in their own way of life.

2) The book follows a long enough period of time that the reader can see the changes that occurred. First off is the regionally increasing dominance of the cotton economy, where families in the SE Georgia region ended up moving themselves or their enslaved people to regions farther inland that would be more profitable, but which also disrupted all of the societal systems that the whites had built to try to convince themselves that they were actually "helping" their enslaved population. Not that those justifications were legitimate, but through the letters and documents, the reader can see the whites of the time being forced to face a bit more of the naked injustice of the system. The second big change is the run up to the Civil War, where the white populations become MUCH more reactionary ("How dare the Yankees tell me how to run my plantation!") very quickly, both younger and older generations. And then when the Civil War actually reaches the region, the total disruption of the enslaved communities happens as people become mobile and the white populations are faced with that their former enslaved people actually thought of them.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Very cool, thank you both.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

grassy gnoll posted:

Any general recommendations about the Russo-Japanese War? I realized most of what I know about it comes from histories of the 1905 Revolution and felt real dumb for a bit there.

I learned a lot about that from Edmund Morris’ Theodore Roosevelt books. The scale of Russian bungling was ridiculous, I didn’t know the redeployment of their Baltic Fleet was hampered by the decision to almost start a war with the UK after opening fire on fishing boats they mistook for Japanese torpedo boats. In the North Sea.

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
Finished the new Carter biography The Outlier, which is generally pretty good for an overview of the Carter presidency. My main takeaway is that Zbigniew Brzezinski was an absolute idiot and Carter would have been far better to have him no where near the white house. Its astonishing just how bad the iranian hostage rescue attempt was.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Lawman 0 posted:

Reading this now and it's good. Is there a "sequel" that discusses the late EIC period and the Raj in similar detail?

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
I'd like to thank whoever recommended King Leopold's Ghost a thousand pages ago.
My dyslexia makes reading a real challenge, so it's taken me months to get through, but it was well worth it.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Any recommendations on the Paris Commune?

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The Paris Commune of 1871 by Frank Jellinek

Pretty sure it's public domain and you can find it on archive.org.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

clean ayers act posted:

Finished the new Carter biography The Outlier, which is generally pretty good for an overview of the Carter presidency. My main takeaway is that Zbigniew Brzezinski was an absolute idiot and Carter would have been far better to have him no where near the white house. Its astonishing just how bad the iranian hostage rescue attempt was.

Ooh sounds good just placed a hold via library

plogo
Jan 20, 2009

Bandiet posted:

I'd check out some of Eugene Genovese's work like Roll, Jordon, Roll or The World Slaveholders Made, and the associated debates regarding his work.

engessa
Jan 19, 2007

Any recommendations on books about Operation Gladio and other stay behind networks in Europe after the second world war?

I found 'Natos Secret Armies' by Daniele Ganser but he seems to be an idiot.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Paul Williams' Operation Gladio is one I'd recommend because it includes details that are otherwise omitted or glossed over by more mainstream critical histories of the CIA, and it largely refutes the CIA's rationale that these were stay-behind networks designed to be vanguards in a potential Soviet invasion of Europe. With Gladio you're dealing with a lot of conjecture with respect to institutions like IOR that are basically a black box, but I found the book to be really detailed regardless.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

They just declassified the archives, so hopefully we get a full account in the nearish future.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Reading The Crusades: The Authoritative History of the War for the Holy Land by Thomas Asbridge based on the thread's recommendation and while it's fairly interesting it still feels pretty biased in favor of the Franks just based on how he frames certain things and poses some of his arguments. Too bad, but still probably better than most histories on the subject I'd find I guess.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Reading The Crusades: The Authoritative History of the War for the Holy Land by Thomas Asbridge based on the thread's recommendation and while it's fairly interesting it still feels pretty biased in favor of the Franks just based on how he frames certain things and poses some of his arguments. Too bad, but still probably better than most histories on the subject I'd find I guess.

There's always The Crusades through Arab Eyes by Amin Maalouf. That's the only anglophone book on the subject from a non-Western-European perspective I've encountered so far. I enjoyed reading it, and it is definitely not biased in favor of the Franks.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah I remember reading that a while back and enjoying its perspective. This "authoritative history" has still been fairly entertaining I guess.

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
I thought Dan Jones' Crusaders was interesting, though definitly pop history

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
Oh lmao, don't read the amazon reviews of that book

quote:

1.0 out of 5 stars Pseudo Historic, Politically motivated nonsense
Reviewed in the United States on October 13, 2019
The author has some radical leftist agenda, and the contents of the book match his political views, not the truth.

quote:

2.0 out of 5 stars Woke Opinionated History
Reviewed in the United States on February 21, 2021
Verified Purchase
If you want to read an opinionated and woke history of the crusades, this is the book for you. Throughout the book, are slanted opinions, such as: A) "The slaughter of Jerusalem in the days following its fall to the crusaders was one of the atrocities of its age"; B) The call of Pope Urban II to take back the Holy Land would "warp the course of history"; C) the gold coins struck at Baghdad's mint were "elegant"; D) the city of Toledo "replete under Islamic rule with fine bridges and public baths, marketplaces and mosques"; E) the Umayyad caliphate's city of Cordoba was "one of the most sophisticated, awe-inspiring metropolises in the entire world, while artisans and architects tested the boundaries of artistic perfection";
The author insults the reader's intelligence by mentioning no less than 3 times by the end of the first chapter, that Roger of Sicily had a gas problem. I did not buy this book to read about someone's flatulence, but it seems to me that this is what he wants the readers to take away with them.
And lastly, in the epilogue, I also find it insulting that the author spends the good part of 2 pages writing about the attack that took place in Christchurch, New Zealand, but allotted merely 4 lines to the September 11th attacks. If he did not want to use the September 11th attacks as an example, there are any number of of attacks that have taken place in Europe, Asia, Africa, Australia, and of course the USA, such as shootings, stabbings, beheadings, bombings, and drivers using their vehicles as weapons by driving through large gatherings of civilians.
But I digress. I will give credit where credit is due. The book is thoroughly researched and well-organized. Names of people and places, dates of events, relations of monarchs/lords/etc., and quotes from old texts/letters...........all are presented in a smooth-flowing chronological order.
If the author did not give his biased opinion, I would have rated the book higher, and I might have actually purchased further books of his. I do not purchase history books to read an author's opinion, nor do I find it endearing when the author thinks his readers are idiots.

Actually a pretty good sign for any books about the crusades lol

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Lolol imagine being furious about the so called elegance of Islamic coins

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019

PittTheElder posted:

Lolol imagine being furious about the so called elegance of Islamic coins

just hideous

so inelegant

ahh, beautiful

wisconsingreg fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 8, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

If it doesn't have a picture of Jesus is it even a coin?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

quote:

If you want to read an opinionated and woke history of the crusades, this is the book for you.

Yes. And?

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I don't have or know of any good books about the politics and society of Imperial Japan. Explanation of how Japan differed from European fascism would be helpful. Suggestions?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

FPyat posted:

I don't have or know of any good books about the politics and society of Imperial Japan. Explanation of how Japan differed from European fascism would be helpful. Suggestions?

Imperial Japan during WWII, you mean?

This is not really what you're looking for, but I'm going to recommend it anyway.....Eri Hotta's Japan 1941: Countdown to Infamy, which is about the Japanese decision to attack Pearl Harbor, and how it came about, and looking at that decision is a good way in microcosm to see the internal logic and the essential disfunction of the Japanese state and decision making process during the war.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Vasukhani posted:

quote:

I do not purchase history books to read an author's opinion

This is a person who has never studied history at even the most basic level of taking a first-year undergraduate survey course.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
Any recs for a good overview of the English Civil War?

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

vyelkin posted:

This is a person who has never studied history at even the most basic level of taking a first-year undergraduate survey course.

History, like the news, is the completely objective recitation of a series of Facts(TM) from which any deviation results in revisionist (sic) history and fake news.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020

Epicurius posted:

Imperial Japan during WWII, you mean?

This is not really what you're looking for, but I'm going to recommend it anyway.....Eri Hotta's Japan 1941: Countdown to Infamy, which is about the Japanese decision to attack Pearl Harbor, and how it came about, and looking at that decision is a good way in microcosm to see the internal logic and the essential disfunction of the Japanese state and decision making process during the war.

Japan between 1906 and 1941, mostly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Fighting Trousers posted:

Any recs for a good overview of the English Civil War?

I went through my orals list on modern and early modern Britain to see what I had on it, and all of these I would recommend, though they're all pretty much just backgrounds to how the war broke out:

Conrad Russell, The Causes of the English Civil War (1990)

Lawrence Stone, The Causes of the English Revolution, 1529-1642 (2001)

Michael J. Braddick, State Formation in Early Modern England, c. 1550-1700 (2000)

Steve Hindle, The State and Social Change in Early Modern England, 1550-1640 (2000)

David Underdown, Revel, riot, and rebellion: popular politics and culture in England, 1603-1660

Mark Kishlansky, A monarchy transformed: Britain, 1603-1714