Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Only FF1 is older than me. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

None of them are older than me. I'm about one year older than Final Fantasy as a series :negative:

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I'm 6 months younger than FFV, so my favourite game in the series is older than me.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Harrow posted:

None of them are older than me. I'm about one year older than Final Fantasy as a series :negative:

We’re in the same boat. That “what you think Final Fantasy was 20 years ago” is exactly what I think. FFX isn’t that old! I was a teenager and…oh yeah I’m old now. :(

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Harrow posted:

Yep. I'm a bit over two years older than the series as a whole. :corsair:

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

FF1 is 14 months younger than me.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

The Black Stones posted:

We’re in the same boat. That “what you think Final Fantasy was 20 years ago” is exactly what I think. FFX isn’t that old! I was a teenager and…oh yeah I’m old now. :(

I distinctly remember playing FFV via emulator in 2003 and being wowed that I was having that much fun with an eleven year old game.

Meanwhile I’m here on my nth replay of XII, a fifteen year old game that I somehow still think of as “one of the new ones”.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1417411301744300032

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The Latin characters look better in the Japanese version than in the English one. :psyduck:

Use monospaced characters for the EN version ffs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I want to like these pixel remasters so badly. Even just a relatively minor improvement to the font would be enough to get me to buy them.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Harrow posted:

I want to like these pixel remasters so badly. Even just a relatively minor improvement to the font would be enough to get me to buy them.

I'm going to play and probably like them either way, but yeah the font should hopefully be a quick fix.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

HD DAD posted:

Yeah this is like when someone tweeted "your new horoscope is the first Simpsons episode after your birth" and I'm like, almost everyone I know would share the same episode, the first one

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Harrow posted:

The NES was released in North America one day after my fifth birthday.

crumbles into dust

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah this is like when someone tweeted "your new horoscope is the first Simpsons episode after your birth" and I'm like, almost everyone I know would share the same episode, the first one

Some weirdo out there is like "the movie?"

I'm actually fuckin' pumped for FF1/FF2. They're not good games I don't think, but it'll be a good time somehow?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

HD DAD posted:

FF1 is older than me by like a little less than 2 weeks, poo poo still feels bad

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I played FF1 on the NES when I was 12 :corsair:

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

jokes posted:

Some weirdo out there is like "the movie?"

I'm actually fuckin' pumped for FF1/FF2. They're not good games I don't think, but it'll be a good time somehow?

FF1 I think is legitimately good but flawed
FF2 is a garbage game that I have all sorts of weird love for. The last time I played through FF2 NES was about 6 years ago and it still feels too soon to do it again

I'm pretty excited for 1, 2, and 3 because 1 and 2 haven't really gotten faithful ports since the PS1, and 3 has never gotten a good port. Newer ports of 1 and 2 make the games trivially easy and the DS remake of 3 made the game harder and more player unfriendly, somehow. I hope they strike a good middle ground between having the game systems stay faithful to the originals while easing up a little bit on the Nintendo Hard difficulty.

My big hope is that modders will be able to dig into the steam versions and create all sorts of neat gameplay variants. the ff1 randomizer in particular is a blast to play if you're familiar with the game's systems, and that's with the developers working through the limited capabilities of the NES version.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Elephant Ambush posted:

I played FF1 on the NES when I was 12 :corsair:

Same! High five, fellow geezer.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
Are there any main game rewards that come from FFVIII's Triple Triad minigame?

I'm following a guide that tells you who to fight to get Player/GF cards and I read there's a GF called 'Doomtrain' that you can get through the cards but perhaps it was just another GF card. I don't want to bother maxing if there's no celestial weapon or GF at the end; I'd much rather play for fun and not worry about abolishing rules.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Bedshaped posted:

Are there any main game rewards that come from FFVIII's Triple Triad minigame?

I'm following a guide that tells you who to fight to get Player/GF cards and I read there's a GF called 'Doomtrain' that you can get through the cards but perhaps it was just another GF card. I don't want to bother maxing if there's no celestial weapon or GF at the end; I'd much rather play for fun and not worry about abolishing rules.

Sort of. Various GFs learn "refine" abilities that turn something into something else. You can refine rare cards into extremely valuable stuff.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Not bad for a game stuck in development hell for a decade. IMO if they took the engine and made a new version of the game and scrapped everything else there's something here maybe. Too many directions being pulled here.
But boy, do I have questions
Noctis and Luna are dead right? That was a dream within the crystal?
How did Ardyn die? Wasn't his whole deal being imortal? We saw him stabbed once or twice before right?
What is Ardyn even trying to do?
Was there any hint that Prompto might have been a magitek duder?
I thought the empire was killing the gods, how am I still able to summon them?
Cup Noodles, am I right?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I agree if they scrapped and redid everything in the entire game it could have been good.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
E: oops

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Funny thing is they did scrap a whole game and use its remains to make XV. It was Versus XIII.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

SettingSun posted:

Funny thing is they did scrap a whole game and use its remains to make XV. It was Versus XIII.

It looks like they made 4 different games, forgot what they took out to make each one and created a Car Built For Homer

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

I played and finished 2, 3, and 13 for the first time before the pandemic, and I was baffled by 2. However, much like Castlevania 2 I can appreciate what they were trying to do. It was unique and had inspired ideas behind it. They didn't stick the landing, but I can totally appreciate the attempt. I don't hate the game at all; by the end it was just bemusement at what I had gone through. The "Jobs-Static Characters/Unique Systems" sequence of FF1-6 is full of wonder and jank, and 2 just adds to that.

If the "re-balance" tightens it up and removes the confusing grindy-ness, i'd give it another shot

Edit: this was in regards to the notes about the pixel remasters

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 22, 2021

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

HootTheOwl posted:

But boy, do I have questions
Noctis and Luna are dead right? That was a dream within the crystal?
How did Ardyn die? Wasn't his whole deal being imortal? We saw him stabbed once or twice before right?
What is Ardyn even trying to do?
Was there any hint that Prompto might have been a magitek duder?
I thought the empire was killing the gods, how am I still able to summon them?
Cup Noodles, am I right?

these answers disregard the ardyn dlc, which is hideously stupid and i hate it

yes, noct and luna are dead. the game's plot is basically noblesse oblige as literal martyrdom, where the king of insomnia is a living battery for an anti-monster shield and noctis' coronation is simultaneous with him giving his life to save the world

ardyn is so topped up with fiend juice from his days as a healer of the starscourge that he's outside the typical cycle of life and death. he feigned death after being slain by noctis, planning to intercept him in the spirit world and prevent him from banishing the starscourge, but luna and the previous kings were expecting this and ripped his essence to shreds instead, killing him for good

ardyn spent his mortal days healing the plague that one of the gods started in a fit of pique (ifrit, who was pissy that his worshipers were moving onto more secular lives, and had to be stopped and slain by the rest of the pantheon in return), only to be denied his birthright and ostracized by the same gods because his method of curing the plague involved taking it into himself, which as far as the gods were concerned, made him too impure for the throne and their blessings. he was really, really mad about this! everything he does in the game involves getting back at the gods by torturing their final heir, noctis, and permanently loving up the world while he's at it. a lot of the weird arbitrary crap he does like that body-swap with prompto is just out of pure meanness against noct himself, he's like a cross between an evil vizier and a playground bully. now, in ardyn's dlc, it's revealed that this was all part of bahamut's evil master plan and he wanted to destroy humanity for daring to "fight against fate." this was stupid and i will speak no more of it

magitek prompto came out of nowhere. if anything, extra materials contradicted it, since the anime went into more background about his life in insomnia. he was a fat little boy

the empire killed the gods, but they're gods, so death for them is more of a gentle suggestion. the main exception is ifrit, whom ardyn basically zombified and turned into one of his attack dogs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0ON_gV71Lk

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Jul 22, 2021

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

TheHoosier posted:

I played and finished 2, 3, and 13 for the first time before the pandemic, and I was baffled by 2. However, much like Castlevania 2 I can appreciate what they were trying to do. It was unique and had inspired ideas behind. They didn't stick the landing, but I can totally appreciate the attempt. I don't hate the game at all; by the end it was just bemusement at what I had gone through. The "Jobs-Static Characters/Unique Systems" sequence of FF1-6 is full of wonder and jank, and 2 just adds to that.

If the "re-balance" tightens it up and removes the confusing grindy-ness, i'd give it another shot

I think what 2 accomplishes that makes me have a weird appreciation for it is how well it gives off a vibe of general despair through its plot, music, and setting on such limited hardware. The overworld tune constantly evokes a feeling of loss. The world and towns are offputtingly sparsely populated. Half the people you meet die a horrible death. The game opens with a combat that you will lose miserably, giving you just long enough to name and see that Leon is a party member, only for him to be missing, assumed dead 2 minutes later, then turn out to be Darth Vader

The gameplay informs this feeling quite well too. Some towns have encounters, letting you know that even towns aren't safe havens. You can just sorta walk into incredibly nasty encounter tables early in the game by accident, pretty close to town range, so you never quite feel safe on the overworld. No matter how hard you train, you're still always a minute away from getting absolutely wrecked in any random encounter if you're not careful. I think the funniest bit is how much of the plot is dedicated to learning Ultima, but programming bugs make it one of the shittier spells in the game, accidentally adding to the feeling of hopelessness.

1 and 3 have a vibe of grand adventure, finding shiny swords, and slaying dragons. By comparison, the world of 2 is out to kill you, and when it isn't, it wants to make you feel sad. It's not mind blowing by any means, but I don't really know of any other NES RPGs that reach for that sort of presentation

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

TheHoosier posted:

I played and finished 2, 3, and 13 for the first time before the pandemic, and I was baffled by 2. However, much like Castlevania 2 I can appreciate what they were trying to do. It was unique and had inspired ideas behind it. They didn't stick the landing, but I can totally appreciate the attempt. I don't hate the game at all; by the end it was just bemusement at what I had gone through. The "Jobs-Static Characters/Unique Systems" sequence of FF1-6 is full of wonder and jank, and 2 just adds to that.

Edit: this was in regards to the notes about the pixel remasters

The guy behind the super obtuse gameplay in FF2 went on to make the ultra obtuse SaGa series.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

pretty soft girl posted:

I think what 2 accomplishes that makes me have a weird appreciation for it is how well it gives off a vibe of general despair through its plot, music, and setting on such limited hardware. The overworld tune constantly evokes a feeling of loss. The world and towns are offputtingly sparsely populated. Half the people you meet die a horrible death. The game opens with a combat that you will lose miserably, giving you just long enough to name and see that Leon is a party member, only for him to be missing, assumed dead 2 minutes later, then turn out to be Darth Vader

The gameplay informs this feeling quite well too. Some towns have encounters, letting you know that even towns aren't safe havens. You can just sorta walk into incredibly nasty encounter tables early in the game by accident, pretty close to town range, so you never quite feel safe on the overworld. No matter how hard you train, you're still always a minute away from getting absolutely wrecked in any random encounter if you're not careful. I think the funniest bit is how much of the plot is dedicated to learning Ultima, but programming bugs make it one of the shittier spells in the game, accidentally adding to the feeling of hopelessness.

1 and 3 have a vibe of grand adventure, finding shiny swords, and slaying dragons. By comparison, the world of 2 is out to kill you, and when it isn't, it wants to make you feel sad. It's not mind blowing by any means, but I don't really know of any other NES RPGs that reach for that sort of presentation

Lol and at the very end all the towns go away so every NPC is redshirted.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyI7hsjgkXo

So this song rules. It honestly sounds more like "Ipsen's Castle" than the title screen theme, which works for me because Ipsen's Castle was my favorite version of that song other than "Terra."

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

HootTheOwl posted:

It looks like they made 4 different games, forgot what they took out to make each one and created a Car Built For Homer

It's remarkable that it worked as well as it did in the end. Like I know the game has problems but that whole ending sequence with the empty city and the pure black sky still blows me away.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

The Black Stones posted:

On a stream I watched today people were talking about how "the entire FF series was Playstation-only until recently" and I realized that there are gamers born so long after the Console Wars they don't even know they happened.

The healing can begin. Later, I'm too busy making fun of them right now (not really, I just corrected it).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
They named the first Final Fantasy Final Fantasy VII because if the game didn't succeed it would be the seventh-to-last game Square-Enix would make.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

My uncle works at SE and he told me after XVI they're switching full-time to "reimaginings," after Stranger of Paradise there's gonna be a Hades-style roguelike remake of FF2 and a remake of FF3 that's based off an updated version of the Dragon's Dogma engine

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Snow Cone Capone posted:

My uncle works at SE and he told me after XVI they're switching full-time to "reimaginings," after Stranger of Paradise there's gonna be a Hades-style roguelike remake of FF2 and a remake of FF3 that's based off an updated version of the Dragon's Dogma engine

Funny, my uncle works at SE and he told me that they were making a FFV dating sim

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Final Fantasy VI MOBA

Final Fantasy VII Tower Defense

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Final Fantasy VIII Railroad Tycoon

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

FFXII Autochess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Final Fantays VII Remake Remake: Action RPGs are old fashioned, it is now being made as a first-person shooter.

Barrett is not playable.