Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

wolrah posted:

In all seriousness though, if it has USB ports you can almost certainly just throw a collection of music on a USB stick and plug it in.

That's a game changer, had no idea. USB is great. The UI kind of sucks. I would think there would be some kind of firmware/software/something update for the control panel. I'm going across country soon, that's why I drive a pickup truck. I use a truxedo bed cover and load all my belongings in the back. It's proper utility. Anyway, will take it to the dealer and have it looked. There is a chip in my windshield right in my field of view where my eyes look so might get that replaced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Vehicle: 93 ranger 4.0 v6.

Keeps overheating. No leaks, just gets hot and spews out steam + boils over into the overflow tank. We just replaced the hoses, rad cap, and thermostat, but even at idle (or attempting to burp it) the temp gauge just climbs into the red without the top hose fully heating up or any hot air from the vents. I'm at my wit's end with this thing.

Possibly relevant: this thing used to have the Ford burp screw, but it was on a fitting that was replaced with just a hose at some point prior to my involvement, so I don't know if that's hamstringing us or what

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Did you test the new thermostat in a pot of water before you installed it?

Does it behave the same way without a thermostat? If so, it's beginning to sound like a head gasket.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Thermostat isn't working properly or you have an air lock in the system. Did the new thermostat have a bleeder shaker?
squeeze the poo poo out of the upper hose, listen for gurgling.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Popete posted:

Ah ok, that makes sense. Maybe once I officially try to purchase the plan the rate will go up. I'm not sure where it pulls the info, it just automatically pulled down the info for both my cars and I assumed it got that from Progressive somehow but perhaps they pull it from the states database.

It will probably go up if you go to purchase it.

Now you should call progressive and tell them what the price difference will be and the old I've been a happy customer of yours for the past however many years and see if they will match or beat it.

I've done that with quotes I've gotten from geico and gotten progressive to match it. If they won't match it switch if they match it yay!

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

Thermostat isn't working properly or you have an air lock in the system. Did the new thermostat have a bleeder shaker?
squeeze the poo poo out of the upper hose, listen for gurgling.

If "bleeder shaker" is the little hole with a pin looking thing in it that the box said to orient on top, then yes.

The hose did get more pressurized and heat was creeping along it a little, but more slowly than the temp gauge was rising.

Re head gasket, it isn't spewing the kind of smoke that I dealt with when my car blew one. Can it fail badly enough to overheat without other obvious signs like that?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Javid posted:

If "bleeder shaker" is the little hole with a pin looking thing in it that the box said to orient on top, then yes.

The hose did get more pressurized and heat was creeping along it a little, but more slowly than the temp gauge was rising.

Re head gasket, it isn't spewing the kind of smoke that I dealt with when my car blew one. Can it fail badly enough to overheat without other obvious signs like that?

Absolutely, mine just did.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Javid posted:

Yeah, it all depends on where it fails. What I'm thinking is that you're pressurizing your cooling system with combustion gasses. I hope I'm wrong, but really.....try this again with the thermostat out.

There is also a possibility your water pump is trashed (like, fins broken off/worn down) and you're not actually circulating water. That should be pretty obvious if the thermostat out.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Water pump is 13 months old; not brand new but new enough that I wouldn't immediately be eyeballing it.

we're gonna elevate the front more and attempt another burp; if that doesn't work then we'll pull out the thermostat again and see what happens. However, it's worth noting that the thermostat housing has no gasket of its own on this thing, just a rubber ring that's molded onto the thermostat itself. So not sure how well that would work even for testing.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Javid posted:

Water pump is 13 months old; not brand new but new enough that I wouldn't immediately be eyeballing it.

we're gonna elevate the front more and attempt another burp; if that doesn't work then we'll pull out the thermostat again and see what happens. However, it's worth noting that the thermostat housing has no gasket of its own on this thing, just a rubber ring that's molded onto the thermostat itself. So not sure how well that would work even for testing.

If it's that style you just grab the old one and rip/drill the guts out of it.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Dominoes posted:

Should I just sell my car to a dealer? I've been trying to sell a 2014 Focus with 80k miles on AutoTrader and Craigslist. Trying to get KBB or a bit below. I have it listed at $7k.

Dealers have been offering $6k to $6.5K, so that sets a reasonable price floor.

I've had 0 interest from people. The only replies on either platform are dealers offering something in the range I listed, or standard Craigslist people who can't pass a Turing test.

NC, USA.

CL is dead. Sadly for private party sales the best show in town is facebook. Worth a shot if you want to try a little longer before selling to a dealer.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Cage posted:

Hows the transmission? I can't imagine buying a focus from that timeline. My moms 2013 focus has been off the road for 3 months now because it has the hosed dual clutch transmission and even though they upped the warranty to 10 years/150k miles the part shortage means it won't be on the road until next year sometime. It has 20k and already had one replacement clutch and will randomly pop into neutral while driving.

I'd take the 6.5k.
No transmission problems. I'm considering the 6.5K.

luminalflux posted:

Have you tried Carvana or Shift? They sometimes offer higher prices because theyre burning VC money to capture the market
Just checked Carvana. Your theory is sound, but they're quoting me $5.8K

Late Fees posted:

unless it's a manual, it's on most lists of "used cars to avoid", so many informed buyers will steer clear

might be worth trying to hold your nose and listing it on facebook. i just sold a car on there in less than a day

opengl128 posted:

CL is dead. Sadly for private party sales the best show in town is facebook. Worth a shot if you want to try a little longer before selling to a dealer.
Interesting. Looks like the main complaint is xmission reliability.

Going to post on FB. I appreciate the wisdom!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Crankit posted:

I was thinking, temperature extremes shorten battery lives don't they, so do cars with the batt in the trunk have longer lasting batteries than ones under the hood?

My own exp....

StormDrain posted:

Anecdotally, yes. STR is on his way to tell you about his 10 year old trunk battery in his Saturn.

:argh:

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

I have a new car. Its an economy import, you wouldnt be impressed. My assigned parking spot in my building is directly under a tree. No, I cant park anywhere else. How bad is this going to be?

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Dominoes posted:

No transmission problems. I'm considering the 6.5K.

Interesting. Looks like the main complaint is xmission reliability.

Going to post on FB. I appreciate the wisdom!

Anyone who comes to look at it is gonna try to haggle you to 6 or 6.5, at least that's my experience. that is assuming they even come, too many people flake out or play games, you get so grinded down constantly responding to the "is it still available" or "what's wrong" or "when can I come take a look" messages, that the first person to actually show up with 6k you're just like gently caress it take it I wanna be done with it.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jul 21, 2021

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Ogmius815 posted:

I have a new car. Its an economy import, you wouldnt be impressed. My assigned parking spot in my building is directly under a tree. No, I cant park anywhere else. How bad is this going to be?

A lot better than street parking, I'd wager.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Ogmius815 posted:

I might be impressed, you never know! Any idea what kind of tree? Here's my experience, it's not definitive: If it drips sap that's a real PITA getting it off. Pine needles are annoying as they get under everything, but not deadly. Everything else, annoying but not terrible if you clean it out every once in a while.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Dominoes posted:

Yeah it's not guaranteed, but often enough that checking them works out.

ryanrs posted:

A lot better than street parking, I'd wager.

Idk, getting OEM glass replaced by the dealership when my car was broken into on the street was about as much as detailing it after concrete/water mixture from the leaking garage roof got onto my car.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Ogmius815 posted:

As long as it's not dripping sap, your main issue will be bird poo poo. Wash it often, wax it often.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Or call a cover and cover/uncover it every time? Someone at my work does this with an MRS.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
OK because of the plague i haven't driven my car (2002 renault clio 1.4) in a long time, now the clutch pedal goes right to the floor and if I move the gearstick it makes horrible noises and the clutch pedal doesn't return. If I pull the clutch cable under the bonnet the pedal returns, but the little arm coming of the gearbox seems slack. What happened to it and what do I do next?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Crankit posted:

OK because of the plague i haven't driven my car (2002 renault clio 1.4) in a long time, now the clutch pedal goes right to the floor and if I move the gearstick it makes horrible noises and the clutch pedal doesn't return. If I pull the clutch cable under the bonnet the pedal returns, but the little arm coming of the gearbox seems slack. What happened to it and what do I do next?

This is really not my area but if it helps you google, sounds like your clutch slave cylinder failed. I think it's not a crazy expensive repair but getting the car to wherever may be a headache obviously. I suppose something may have come disconnected or may have failed between the slave cylinder and the clutch, like a throwout bearing, clutch fork, etc.

e: vvvv Yeah there you go.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 21, 2021

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

There's no slave cylinder if it has a clutch cable.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I need a little help.

A couple weeks ago I bought a pick-up truck. I just needed something to occasionally go to the dump, maybe move some firewood. It is a 1989 Mazda B2600i 4x4. It was filthy and oxidized pretty bad, the wiper transmission was broke, but in a few days I was able to clean it up and get it running enough to get to the dump. Some plasti-dip, and a couple cans of turtle wax and it was looking fine.

Before

After

Anyway, here is my issue, when braking the tires lock up, I think it is just the rear ones but can't really tell. Like I will be slowing down for a stop sign and unless I brake really slowly it is like I am jamming down on them and I start to skid. Is there anything I should be looking at to find out what is causing that?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
My radiator cracked a tiny bit and started leaking a couple hundred miles ago. When I went to refill it this time, the radiator itself was full of normal green coolant, but there was frothy white stuff in the coolant coming from the engine once the thermostat had opened up that had a very oily consistency. Not a lot of it, but enough to be concerning

Any chance that it's something other than a head gasket leak?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

I need a little help.
Anyway, here is my issue, when braking the tires lock up, I think it is just the rear ones but can't really tell. Like I will be slowing down for a stop sign and unless I brake really slowly it is like I am jamming down on them and I start to skid. Is there anything I should be looking at to find out what is causing that?

Look underneath the rearend for a load sensing proportioning valve. it could be misadjusted or broken. It'll have a hydraulic valve somewhere with a lever arm and a connecting rod that goes to the rearend.

Secondarily: check the engagement of your rear drums and adjust if necessary. If its disc, check for sticking pins or the like.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

cursedshitbox posted:

Look underneath the rearend for a load sensing proportioning valve. it could be misadjusted or broken. It'll have a hydraulic valve somewhere with a lever arm and a connecting rod that goes to the rearend.

Secondarily: check the engagement of your rear drums and adjust if necessary. If its disc, check for sticking pins or the like.

Thank you! I will be working on this over the weekend and will follow up here with what I find.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Thank you! I will be working on this over the weekend and will follow up here with what I find.

AI's hive mind knows a lot of poo poo. Also, it's most likely the rears because you have very little weight back there.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

AI's hive mind knows a lot of poo poo. Also, it's most likely the rears because you have very little weight back there.

Yeah fwiw my f350 will do this too when cold/first driving when empty. There's almost 3000lb on the rear axle with nothing on the bed. Its a dumb farm truck and has no load sensing proportioning valve though.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

My radiator cracked a tiny bit and started leaking a couple hundred miles ago. When I went to refill it this time, the radiator itself was full of normal green coolant, but there was frothy white stuff in the coolant coming from the engine once the thermostat had opened up that had a very oily consistency. Not a lot of it, but enough to be concerning

Sounds like you've been overheating it on the reg, so no, probably not.

Every single cooling issues needs to be addressed 100% immediately, always. They very quickly spiral from a $10 cap or $300 radiator to "this motos isn't worth doing head gaskets on, and even a scrap motor is way more than this thing is worth".

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Motronic posted:

Sounds like you've been overheating it on the reg, so no, probably not.

Every single cooling issues needs to be addressed 100% immediately, always. They very quickly spiral from a $10 cap or $300 radiator to "this motos isn't worth doing head gaskets on, and even a scrap motor is way more than this thing is worth".

That's the crazy thing, it has a brand new ECT sensor and almost completely new cooling system parts (save the radiator) and it never has gone above 40% on the gage. It's a 28 year old car, so I'm willing to accept that the gages aren't accurate, but I'm fairly confident that it hasn't overheated on me

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Door Frame posted:

That's the crazy thing, it has a brand new ECT sensor and almost completely new cooling system parts (save the radiator) and it never has gone above 40% on the gage. It's a 28 year old car, so I'm willing to accept that the gages aren't accurate, but I'm fairly confident that it hasn't overheated on me

If you're losing coolant you can't be sure of that even if the gauge and sensor are 100% accurate. Because you don't have a proper amount of coolant everywhere that it needs to be, and the sensor is in only one place.

Obviously I'm guessing here, but like.....if you're losing enough coolant for long enough to be "When I went to refill it this time," and talking about what sounds like milkshake......

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Motronic posted:

If you're losing coolant you can't be sure of that even if the gauge and sensor are 100% accurate. Because you don't have a proper amount of coolant everywhere that it needs to be, and the sensor is in only one place.

Obviously I'm guessing here, but like.....if you're losing enough coolant for long enough to be "When I went to refill it this time," and talking about what sounds like milkshake......

True, true, I just felt like I was doing everything right maintenance wise, save ignoring a crack for a hundred-ish miles and just topping it off every few days until I could afford a newradiator...

At least I didn't find out that my engine was trashed by being stranded on the side of the road

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

The Door Frame posted:

What does your oil look like?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

DildenAnders posted:

What does your oil look like?

Burnt, but otherwise normal. Oil pressure and dipstick level are both where they should be too

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
How important are brake dust covers/backing plates?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Is there an AI discord or are we adults

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

two_beer_bishes posted:

How important are brake dust covers/backing plates?

Their main function is to keep brake dust off your wheels, so how important is that to you?

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Deteriorata posted:

Their main function is to keep brake dust off your wheels, so how important is that to you?

Not at all worth the $80/side to replace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
Has anyone replaced the slider on a window regulator like the design below? My wifes 2010 insight window regulator popped out of the track that clamps the glass. It appears its a ball joint in a little white plastic follower, shown below in red. I can likely remove one bolt on the glass clamping part and slide in a new follower.

A replacement regulator is $80 from rockauto but I figured this looked like a job where 3D printing might actually be much easier as I bet removing that window regulator is a bitch. Anyone attempted something similar? Any tips?