Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

mr_jolly posted:

Well, on the other hand,it could be down to anything or lots of things!

https://mobile.twitter.com/geller_mic/status/1417936313001644033

What the gently caress does this mean? It's not worth getting vaccinated?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

beginning to feel like every doom bombshell out of israel is bad analysis of tiny data samples

I hope you are right and I look forward to skilled analysis in the future because I sure the hell don't know how to, and that's why I'm grateful for this thread.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

It means a lot of people commenting on the Israeli data are statistically illiterate.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Katamari Democracy posted:

Don't. Things have a way of working out.

I have faith in you.

:hmmyes: Thanks.

I had some more ibuprofen (all I’ve got for a few more hours) with a huge thing of water and my fever is down from a peak of 103’s to 101.7.

Sounds bad but holy crap “flop sweat and tired” fever is so much better than “shaking and freezing” fever.

Also, silver lining, I love that my throat doesn’t hurt. I can pound water and eat tasteless food all day. I did cry when taste and smell went but at least I can eat and keep myself alive.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

No. It means those who were vaccinated earlier were more likely to get sick than people who were vaccinated later. There are a number of possible explanations. If it turns out to be waning immunity that just means you're going to get a Covid vaccine booster with your flu shot every year.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

DickParasite posted:

No. It means those who were vaccinated earlier were more likely to get sick than people who were vaccinated later. There are a number of possible explanations. If it turns out to be waning immunity that just means you're going to get a Covid vaccine booster with your flu shot every year.

*takes gun out of mouth*

Nice, thanks

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

It is absolutely worth getting vaccinated, because that graph is about risk of infection, not risk of severe disease.

Obviously this needs to be studied further, but the Israeli numbers are suggesting that with the increased infectiousness of delta and the possible waning of vaccines that there is a significant risk of infection and transmission for the vaccinated. It works out roughly equal (for the population as a whole) to the risk last march against wildtype *without* vaccines for infection.

You still are much better off now with vaccines, with lowered risk of serious illness.

If anything, it means getting fully vaccinated is more important than ever with delta. Well, that, and NPI.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jul 22, 2021

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Fallom posted:

the check marks mean they're right

My boss's boss applied for and got a blue checkmark. They've only ever made like four tweets, they just really wanted that checkmark.

Whatever assumptions you make about their character based on that will be correct.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Rolo posted:

Yeah not everyone can have the same happy ending as I did. But right now you don't need to worry about your job. You need to worry about getting better.

I know it might seem scary but if you can overcome that job fear I guarantee you will come out on top. Please stay strong:

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

*takes gun out of mouth*

Nice, thanks

Whenever someone does a study out of Israel with a tiny sample size, just ignore it and look at the state of Virginia's breakthrough case statistics. That is looking at numbers for the whole state (which has a population 90% of the size of Israel's) and counts absolutely everyone.

https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus/covid-19-data-insights/covid-19-cases-by-vaccination-status/

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Blood O2 finger thing is bouncing between 96 and 97. Doc says anything above 90 with covid is ok so cool? BPM is under 100 now too. Temp is still hanging around 101.

I can live with this for a week or so. I still feel like garbage but good lord 3pm today was a specifically scary hell. I never want to feel that again.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Rolo posted:

Blood O2 finger thing is bouncing between 96 and 97. Doc says anything above 90 with covid is ok so cool? BPM is under 100 now too. Temp is still hanging around 101.

I can live with this for a week or so. I still feel like garbage but good lord 3pm today was a specifically scary hell. I never want to feel that again.

If that temp goes 104 or greater for more than an hour or two, get to the ER. That's when protein breakdown starts to happen in the "essential services" of your body.

You got this.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

LanceHunter posted:

Whenever someone does a study out of Israel with a tiny sample size, just ignore it and look at the state of Virginia's breakthrough case statistics. That is looking at numbers for the whole state (which has a population 90% of the size of Israel's) and counts absolutely everyone.

https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus/covid-19-data-insights/covid-19-cases-by-vaccination-status/

Thank you, and also : hooooly crap, 99% deaths from Covid are unvaccinated people

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Rolo posted:

I absolutely promise that is normal O2

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Rolo posted:

Yeah, that's good, you're doing great. :)

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Rolo posted:

I had some more ibuprofen (all I’ve got for a few more hours) with a huge thing of water and my fever is down from a peak of 103’s to 101.7.

Sounds bad but holy crap “flop sweat and tired” fever is so much better than “shaking and freezing” fever.

Also, silver lining, I love that my throat doesn’t hurt. I can pound water and eat tasteless food all day. I did cry when taste and smell went but at least I can eat and keep myself alive.

Okay, bear with me here. Once your fever goes down a bit more, if your sense of taste doesn't come back, can you do me a favour and chew on a piece of minty gum? Someone I know tried hot sauce while they lost their sense of taste as said it still felt warm, and I always wondered if mint would "feel" cold.

Side note, I am glad to hear you're doing better and I apologize if I sound flip.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

LanceHunter posted:

That says breakthrough cases are 26 out of 100,000. We have 2 breakthrough cases in this thread. Either GBS is far bigger than I think it is, or those numbers may be changing at a pretty alarming rate.

Or we're just lucky :confuoot:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Or, all the vaccinated people on SA who don’t get covid don’t come into this thread and tell it they are fine.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

bort posted:

That says breakthrough cases are 26 out of 100,000. We have 2 breakthrough cases in this thread. Either GBS is far bigger than I think it is, or those numbers may be changing at a pretty alarming rate.

Or we're just lucky :confuoot:

That seems reasonable for the whole population of all SA; if that is the true breakthrough rate, you'd expect 2 out of a population of 7,700. And there's regularly 4 if not low 5 digits users logged on at once.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I've had two jabs and do not covid. how are you other 7000 then? maybe do a vote.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Fuschia tude posted:

That seems reasonable for the whole population of all SA; if that is the true breakthrough rate, you'd expect 2 out of a population of 7,700. And there's regularly 4 if not low 5 digits users logged on at once.

People who get COVID after vaccination are going to want to share their experience too, they'll be more likely to report their suffering in this thread.

Honestly, we are lucky that making GBS threads your pants isn't a COVID symptom. Imagine all the scares Goons would have.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Rolo posted:

gently caress, man, I'm so sorry. I think a combination of fear and a lack of at-home (at the time) test just made me think I had a normal flu/cold/whatever (before all this pandemic lockdown stuff, I almost never got sick more than once a year at most, so I honestly don't have a ton of experience), but you just described literally EVERYTHING I went through about a week or so ago (right down to vax schedule) - thankfully mostly through a weekend, but it came on in the latter half of the prior week.

I knew I was running a fever, but my thermometer was broken and I was too out of it - out of anything, really - to haul my rear end to the Target across the street to get a new one, so I just basically did that same "blankets are lava/air is ice" back and forth in my boxers for a bit, then progressed to days of sweating more than I have in my entire life. My lips are just now recovering from cracking from the chapping, so please do keep staying hydrated.

From the other side, I got better, than worse for a bit; got violently nauseous for a day, then choked down solid food, am now out of that and just have light sweats at night and, hopefully tonight, will sleep on a normal schedule, but that's been utterly hosed for I don't know how long now because I alternated between waking agony and pure, no-time-has-passed unconsciousness. My throat is still a little rough from all the bile it tasted on Monday.

I did grab a covid test, and it came up negative, but I'll do a follow-up in 36 hours just to see. I'm sure all of us have lowered immune systems and I was one of those dickheads that proclaimed well into my 40s that I never got sick, but covid got me light pretty early in 2020, and I thought especially with the vaccine I was good. Whether because of being necessary shut-ins, Delta or whatever, please, everyone, take care of yourselves. I was wipe-down-boxes paranoid loooong after everyone sorta relaxed, and while, yes, I got a little lax in the last few weeks, I still washed my hands religiously and don't touch my face in public. I opted out of masking for the last couple weeks and obviously have quickly gone right back on that for the foreseeable future.

I kinda wish I'd trip reported in here during my run, but I honestly couldn't keep a stray thought straight for days, and after that, it was mostly just trying to cover work stuff so that I wasn't swamped or trying to put out fires when I got back, and that's not really a way to work. If you can delegate or ask for help, please do, because you're not helping as much as you think you are when you're out of it.

Godspeed, buddy. You've got this.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 22, 2021

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My mom has preexisting lung problems, she had to go into the hospital today because she can't breathe, I'm trying not to think about it. Haven't told any friends yet which is why I'm sharing this here?

I don't know, I think I'm just hoping that she doesn't get Delta in the hospital.

Weasling Weasel
Oct 20, 2010

Rolo posted:

I'm in day 8 of my Covid journey now, and my mate is a nurse and showed me how to use this large March. My BO on the my reader when down to 95%, particurarly when I lie down, but it also went that low in March 2020 when I didn't have Covid lying down. They're not 100% accurate, it's like one of those body fat scanners, so basically treat it with a pinch of salt and don't worry unless it starts to hit around 90, in which case call the hospital.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
School starts in 3 weeks here, masks? Who loving knows.

number 1 snake fan
Jul 16, 2018

Blitter posted:

It works out roughly equal (for the population as a whole) to the risk last march against wildtype *without* vaccines for infection.

This seems terrifying, can someone tell me how it's not terrifying please

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

https://twitter.com/dvir_a/status/1417893849486274567?s=21

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

number 1 snake fan posted:

This seems terrifying, can someone tell me how it's not terrifying please

The increased risk of infection with delta is eating into the reduction provided by the vaccination of the Israeli population.

Vaccinated individuals still have the risk of infection reduced compared to the unvaccinated within that population, and still have very good protection from severe disease.

The problem for everyone is if the rate of infection ends up above 1, then you still have runaway growth, unless increased vaccinated percentages and NPI are used to bring it under control.

Blitter fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Jul 22, 2021

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

As mentioned above, the people who were vaccinated early are more vulnerable than those who were vaccinated later. Discussing the possibility of waning immunity without bringing that up is irresponsible.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Koirhor posted:

School starts in 3 weeks here, masks? Who loving knows.

https://twitter.com/SchwartzChron/s...ingawful.com%2F

liz
Nov 4, 2004

Stop listening to the static.
Just heard that a couple people in my bf’s family tested positive after returning from a trip. Both fully vaxxed and one has already had Covid so you’d think there would be some hulk like antibodies there or something? Not sure if they have any symptoms so hopefully it may just be an asymptomatic case.

Is Delta just that bad or are the vaccines slowly wearing off?

Sick goons ITT, hoping you both recover soon!

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

liz posted:

Just heard that a couple people in my bf’s family tested positive after returning from a trip. Both fully vaxxed and one has already had Covid so you’d think there would be some hulk like antibodies there or something? Not sure if they have any symptoms so hopefully it may just be an asymptomatic case.

Is Delta just that bad or are the vaccines slowly wearing off?

Sick goons ITT, hoping you both recover soon!

Complacency is a trap, no matter what people say this is a few years from being 'controlled' to any extent. :(

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
And here I thought I was "lucky" to get vaccine so early. I was fully vaxxed as of March, so I have like a month of feeling any amount of confidence that I won't get bad COVID.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

i hate to repeat myself but this bullshit out of israel is bullshit analysis married to semi bullshit amounts of piddly data. old and vulnerable people are dying from covid the most - this is true in vaccinated and unvaccinated populations. i can't believe how irresponsible this guy is saying that that proves that the vaccines wear off after a month because the extremely old and vulnerable people who got vaccinated first continue to be the people most likely to die from it now that their population is largely vaccinated.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Feeling like total poo poo but I’m alive and have a gross old-prospector-in-a-cartoon cough.

Made it up to Fast 5 yesterday, gonna finish them today. Surprisingly, Tokyo Drift is a really good movie when my brain is 5 degrees too hot. I almost cried during the “when I’m out here driftin it’s like all the bad stuff just goes away” speech.

I also had the realest feeling dreams about horrible poo poo then woke up covered in what I was praying was sweat. So first thing this morning is more meds, more water, and some light food.

Blood % was at 94 when I woke up, after getting up to pee it’s back to 97-98. Temp is chilling at 101.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Hey glad you're doing a bit better Rolo! Hopefully you've been through the worst of it.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Thank you, and also : hooooly crap, 99% deaths from Covid are unvaccinated people

I wonder if there is any correlations that just involve being stupid.

Do antivaxx people also chain smoke cigarettes dipped in Cheeto dust?

Probably.

I would think anti vaxx people dont even go to the hospital if they have a persistent underlying health conditions because they fear doctors in general.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
So is it basically fact now that the vax makes the infection more mild?

I’m having kind of a holy poo poo moment because if yesterday was any worse I would have gone to the ER.

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

spunkshui posted:

I wonder if there is any correlations that just involve being stupid.

Do antivaxx people also chain smoke cigarettes dipped in Cheeto dust?

Probably.

I would think anti vaxx people dont even go to the hospital if they have a persistent underlying health conditions because they fear doctors in general.

Could probably even say that some of the people who died withoutunderlying conditions were people with them that never dealt with their smokers cough or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Rolo posted:

So is it basically fact now that the vax makes the infection more mild?
In most people, yes.

Hospitalization among fully-vaccinated people is rare.

Breakthrough deaths are very, very rare, and generally seem to be people with other underlying conditions (but I'm sure a doomposter will come along in a minute and screech about how "WE DON'T KNOW THAT, THE DATA IS BAD, WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE").