Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Svensken
May 29, 2010
But until then they very much aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I've never seen Lazypeon so frustrated before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI9v51-G3ng

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.
Everyone is in the campaign right now (guild vs guild), honestly his point about the UI being really unhelpful is the root of nearly every other complaint he had there I think. The combat in crowfall feels pretty good to me, class design is cool, but there are fundamental flaws that are not doing it any favors - going to lead to a lot of bad press when the gameplay itself isn’t as bad as a lot of what I read. It’s unfortunate but hey they launched the game in this state so what can the expect.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Crowfall looks pretty unfinished but its base-level combat system and feel of how it plays is much better than tab-targeting which I hope dies forever.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

CuddleCryptid posted:

I'd expect to see a starcraft FPS sooner than an MMO, tbh, especially with all the shooters that warhammer 40k has been getting.

If they did do an mmo I would expect it to be a single faction one as the humans, with the zerg and Protoss as antagonists. The horde vs alliance system worked well for WoW but I just don't think that bliz has it in them to make a three way conflict with difference classes for each group, unless they do the SWTOR thing and go "OK so the jedi have the Heroic Strike skill, and the Sith have the Evil Strike skill"

A good compromise would be focusing the main experience on humans, and having zerg and protoss mostly be AI mobs, but also allowing players to potentially play as a zerg or protoss but with limitations and not a full character.

Like didn't LOTRO have a mode where players could be orcs? And its not like you leveled up from 1-60 as an orc, you were just a guy who could gently caress with some players and then die and you'd respawn as some other orc.

That same asymmetric approach could work, so that you save yourself from having to build 3 full mmos where you can level up a zergling into a hydralisk or whatever.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

A good compromise would be focusing the main experience on humans, and having zerg and protoss mostly be AI mobs, but also allowing players to potentially play as a zerg or protoss but with limitations and not a full character.

Like didn't LOTRO have a mode where players could be orcs? And its not like you leveled up from 1-60 as an orc, you were just a guy who could gently caress with some players and then die and you'd respawn as some other orc.

That same asymmetric approach could work, so that you save yourself from having to build 3 full mmos where you can level up a zergling into a hydralisk or whatever.

Where's the W40K MMO where patrician subscribers play as Space Marines and Eldar, and f2p peasants play as Ork Boyz and Imperium soldiers?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

cmdrk posted:

Where's the W40K MMO where patrician subscribers play as Space Marines and Eldar, and f2p peasants play as Ork Boyz and Imperium soldiers?

Honestly that would be pretty cool. I wouldn't even be mad. If its legit free to be a guard or boy and the game gets subsidized by whales who pay to be marines, that could work really well and still match the fiction.

Its also a way to get around the star wars galaxies problem. Jedi should be rare and that means not everybody can be one. Make it free to be a dude and make jedi premium. Yeah its a little pay2win and becomes inaccessible to most people, but grinding 3000 hours to unlock jedi is just as inaccessible, and letting everybody be jedi is broken.

But as mentioned before, they've taken one or two swings at a 40k MMO and they didn't get very far. You need a pretty massive budget to do that, WoW scale, and I don't think anybody wants to make that big a bet on 40k.

40k's probably better as more of a niche thing anyways. Lots of people really like it, but basically everybody else doesn't really care.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

punk rebel ecks posted:

I've never seen Lazypeon so frustrated before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aI9v51-G3ng

I keep an open mind on these things but will agree with him that it just seems like a worse GW2 wvw with tediously long respawns.

Shame because I liked crowfalls concept of letting your side actually win the eternal PvP stalemate and then starting over like seasonal leagues in other games.

cyrn
Sep 11, 2001

The Man is a harsh mistress.

Biowarfare posted:

When did exploits become strategy? It's not like they legitimately kited in circles or anything.

It is anything but straightforward when you're trying to figure out how to beat a fight what is an exploit and what is the intended method of beating the encounter. The guild Conquest was banned in early WoW because they got the first (or one of the first) Golemagg kill by kiting him through most of Molten Core in order to separate him from his unkillable adds, for example.

So while those FF11 things sound like they were fairly obviously unintended, consider if they HAD figured out the intended way to kill the boss (if we use our ability almost exactly as the boss uses his ability then it breaks his AI and he never uses the ability again). They are solving the same problem (how are you supposed to avoid this absurd boss ability?) and there is often no way for players to know if something that works is intended, especially when the devs use obtuse gimmicks.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Biowarfare posted:

When did exploits become strategy? It's not like they legitimately kited in circles or anything.

It's been this way since at least the dawn of internet gaming. I can recall debate surrounding pre-casting and the double hally hit in UO.

You could say that's just how players were, but given how new the whole MMO thing was and how other genres were adapting to internet play, it was easy to muddy the waters back then. MMO developers were not known to be sane people, they had a vision and they stuck to it, and getting them to talk to players about issues was like pulling teeth.

I agree though that as long as you aren't using third party programs, anything a developer leaves unintended in the game world is not your fault. In the last decade they have done a relatively better job than the decade previous. It's helped to standardize in the minds of other players what an exploit actually is. 20+ years ago, you had a lot more room to interpret and a lot more room to gently caress up and still make money.

Zaphod42 posted:

Kind of. It was horribly mismatched as monster classes could never scale the way player classes could. It never lived up to its potential despite how fun it was in the beginning, and ultimately ignored completely for multiple expansions. I secretly miss it a lot.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I wasted a lot of time playing PvMP as a warg and black arrow. Never got into it on the freep side though.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

But as mentioned before, they've taken one or two swings at a 40k MMO and they didn't get very far. You need a pretty massive budget to do that, WoW scale, and I don't think anybody wants to make that big a bet on 40k.

40k's probably better as more of a niche thing anyways. Lots of people really like it, but basically everybody else doesn't really care.

yeah, I preordered Eternal Crusade during the hype phase when it was full of dreams.txt. guess it's getting shut down permanently in Sept :toot:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Hearing about Square banning players for merely taking advantage of dumb A.I. and Origin refusing to ban players rioting in their games due to it "breaking immersion" makes me think MMO developers used to be legit insane back in the day.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
When I was playing crowfall, no one was in guild v guild and everyone was in the newbie area since guild v guild isn't too much fun.

The classes? Good
The races? Good
The abilities? Feels good

UI? Sucks poo poo
The reason to to gvg? Also sucks poo poo.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

Hearing about Square banning players for merely taking advantage of dumb A.I. and Origin refusing to ban players rioting in their games due to it "breaking immersion" makes me think MMO developers used to be legit insane back in the day.

When SOE kept loving up SWG the players would form mass protests and the GMs/devs would start teleporting people into the middle of space.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Third World Reagan posted:

When I was playing crowfall, no one was in guild v guild and everyone was in the newbie area since guild v guild isn't too much fun.

The classes? Good
The races? Good
The abilities? Feels good

UI? Sucks poo poo
The reason to to gvg? Also sucks poo poo.

Were there actually enough players to pvp with in the newbie worlds? The few videos I watched made them look super unpopulated (and yet inexplicably the server browser still splits them up into a dozen+ separate worlds)

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Were there actually enough players to pvp with in the newbie worlds? The few videos I watched made them look super unpopulated (and yet inexplicably the server browser still splits them up into a dozen+ separate worlds)

Not really. I mean some times pvp happened but it was all ganking.

The gvg dreg servers only had people when it was castle time.

The little bit of pvp I did get to do was fun. But there isn't a reason to do pvp at all.

In the end, it is a crafting / harvesting game with pvp tacked on.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

When SOE kept loving up SWG the players would form mass protests and the GMs/devs would start teleporting people into the middle of space.

I mean why not just ban players who are being too rowdy and while encouraging players to "protest" by canceling their subscription (where it really hurts SOE)?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

lmao GMs larping as cops even harder than usual

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

punk rebel ecks posted:

I mean why not just ban players who are being too rowdy and while encouraging players to "protest" by canceling their subscription (where it really hurts SOE)?

We're here chasing the same dragon. They wanted their game back but couldn't quit it right away.

Something that surprised me about SWG is how short its golden age was. And SOE killed subs on their own by making these changes - people did leave in droves and they never captured a new audience. I think Smedley even said in the recent past they shouldn't have done the Combat Upgrade or New Game Experience.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 21, 2021

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

punk rebel ecks posted:

Devs used to just have a lot less control over their games. Nowadays it's all so tightly monitored that you don't have a single NPC stepping out of line without six demonic GMs stepping in. Back in the day you basically just had a bunch of people with mod tools panicking.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

CuddleCryptid posted:

Devs used to just have a lot less control over their games. Nowadays it's all so tightly monitored that you don't have a single NPC stepping out of line without six demonic GMs stepping in. Back in the day you basically just had a bunch of people with mod tools panicking.

Is that really a thing? I know Blizzard will watch world first races and fiddle with fights, but do they really give that many shits about mobs otherwise? I mean, no one seems to give much of a poo poo about bots or players in PvP scenarios teleporting around maps, so I'd find it weird they would care about mobs. You can't even call stuff out these days. If you dare post a screenshot or video with an unobscured player's name showing them teleporting around on official forums or subreddits for some games and your post is going to get removed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

GI_Clutch posted:

Is that really a thing? I know Blizzard will watch world first races and fiddle with fights, but do they really give that many shits about mobs otherwise? I mean, no one seems to give much of a poo poo about bots or players in PvP scenarios teleporting around maps, so I'd find it weird they would care about mobs. You can't even call stuff out these days. If you dare post a screenshot or video with an unobscured player's name showing them teleporting around on official forums or subreddits for some games and your post is going to get removed.

Yeah it was definitely a thing. IIRC I got a talking to from a GM in EQ for exploiting an AI bug where you could stand on a cliff ledge in Luclin and enemies couldn't path to you so they'd just stand still and let you kill them with ranged attacks. Fix your game, don't blame me! :cheeky:

There's also stories like the sleeper kill on EQ where the mods jumped in and stopped them because they thought players were cheating.

On the WoW side I don't remember many stories like that, but I DO remember hearing stories of raid groups getting kills and having loot bug out and not drop, and calling in GMs who would actually enter the instance and check things out and spawn loot for the raid to make up for it.

These days though there's so much more QA in MMOs than there used to be, so its less likely to even happen in the first place. And then they probably don't really care unless you're like a world-first streamer or something.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Groovelord Neato posted:

We're here chasing the same dragon. They wanted their game back but couldn't quit it right away.

Something that surprised me about SWG is how short its golden age was. And SOE killed subs on their own by making these changes - people did leave in droves and they never captured a new audience. I think Smedley even said in the recent past they shouldn't have done the Combat Upgrade or New Game Experience.

The combat upgrade era was my favorite time in that game. Too bad it only lasted like a month before NGE hit.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah it was definitely a thing. IIRC I got a talking to from a GM in EQ for exploiting an AI bug where you could stand on a cliff ledge in Luclin and enemies couldn't path to you so they'd just stand still and let you kill them with ranged attacks. Fix your game, don't blame me! :cheeky:

There's also stories like the sleeper kill on EQ where the mods jumped in and stopped them because they thought players were cheating.

On the WoW side I don't remember many stories like that, but I DO remember hearing stories of raid groups getting kills and having loot bug out and not drop, and calling in GMs who would actually enter the instance and check things out and spawn loot for the raid to make up for it.

These days though there's so much more QA in MMOs than there used to be, so its less likely to even happen in the first place. And then they probably don't really care unless you're like a world-first streamer or something.

I meant is it still a thing now because it feels like GMs/support are very slow/hands off. I was looking through some of my old DAoC screenshots from 2003 the other day and one of them had a nice "There are 8 appeals in the queue. You do not have a pending appeal. The average wait time is currently 5 hours, 33 minutes. There are 9 CSRs monitoring all server queues at this time." message. Nowadays, a support request seems to just go into a queue and you hope to get an email within a few days. There was a Guild Wars 2 Youtuber who was sick of all of the bots in PvP automated tournament matches and support not responding to reports that he threw some slurs around in chat because those were the magic words to make a GM appear out of thin air.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
wow definitely had some EQ style npc nonsense early on, I remember someone dragging the dragon from Duskwood to Northshire in vanilla somehow just letting it slaughter guards and any newbie in cleave range

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

wheres the blizzard death watch thread again, this latest sueing by California is something else if the stories are true godDAMN

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

frajaq posted:

wheres the blizzard death watch thread again, this latest sueing by California is something else if the stories are true godDAMN

Wow, holy poo poo.

https://kotaku.com/activision-blizzard-sued-by-california-over-widespread-1847339746

quote:

In the office, women are subjected to “cube crawls” in which male employees drink copious [amounts] of alcohol as they “crawl” their way through various cubicles in the office and often engage in inappropriate behavior toward female employees. Male employees proudly come into work hungover, play video games for long periods of time during work while delegating their responsibilities to female employees, engage in banter about their sexual encounters, talk openly about female bodies and joke about rape.

Female employees are subjected to constant sexual harassment, including having to continually fend off unwanted sexual comments and advances by their male co-workers and supervisors and being groped at the “cube crawls” and other company events. High-ranking executives and creators engaged in blatant sexual harassment without repercussions.

In a particularly tragic example, a female employee committed suicide during a business trip with a male supervisor who had brought butt plugs and lubricant with him on the trip.

Burn the whole thing to the ground and jail these bastards good loving god.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Here is the full filing. Seems like this is mostly coming from Blizzard and specifically the WoW team.

https://aboutblaw.com/YJw

Check out sections 47 and 48 :yikes:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
what the gently caress

what the actual gently caress

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

Makes sense, toxic as gently caress player base fostered from within.

Andrew Verse
Mar 30, 2011

frajaq posted:

It's in Games these days.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3900763

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Tainen posted:

Here is the full filing. Seems like this is mostly coming from Blizzard and specifically the WoW team.

lol furor

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I haven't supported anything Blizzard / Activision related in awhile, I was wondering if I wanted to get Diablo II Remake though. Never mind, that decision was easy to make.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The artwork looks amazing so I do want it, but after Warcraft 3 was such a literal ripoff and they've been poo poo for years and now this, lol I'm good no thanks.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

drat, am I ever glad I resubbed to FF14 last night to scratch the MMO itch.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im so shocked furor is a piece of poo poo

so

shocked

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Tainen posted:

Alleged rapist Bill Crosby

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

eonwe posted:

im so shocked furor is a piece of poo poo

so

shocked

Ya I know some folks who were his competition in EQ1 and he always sounded like an extra special piece of poo poo in that game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

How did "employee killed herself at company retreat" not come out before?