Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

RDNA2 GPUs can, but Proton can't.

Proton can handle DXR now, at least in some games

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l99vKu8ETmU

Not that it's really going to be usable on the Decks tiny GPU, but it should "work"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

If it can, only in the most literal of sense that you could turn it on. All of the Nvidia cards that do ray tracing have hardware specifically for it and even then take a massive performance hit. I would expect single digit framerates trying to enable raytracing on this thing.

E: AMD latest GPUs, of which this share an architecture, can enable it without the hardware Nvidia is using, but again, massive performance hit, talking 30fps at 1080p for a GPU that costs more than a base model are deck.

RDNA2 does actually have hardware-accelerated ray tracing. It's not as good as Nvidia's, but it's nowhere near as bad as what you're saying. The 6800 XT gets around 60 FPS average in control with ray tracing set to high at 1080p, for instance, which is about equivalent to Nvidia's first-gen ray tracing efforts. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it's cut entirely from this APU. Ray tracing doesn't scale down well, and it seems like an easy and sensible feature to cut when making a low-power GPU. Nobody's going to be tracing any rays on a 15W SoC.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 21, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Valve said raytracing is in there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLtiRGTZvGM&t=400s

I agree it will be basically useless, but it probably wasn't worth the trouble of re-designing the RDNA2 CU to save a tiny bit of die space

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I guess it's just baked into the architecture then. I look forward to watching people try to make it playable.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't think it will necessarily be completely useless. Just having hardware support to handle the geometry operations needed for raytracing goes a long way to making it tractable. Like with anything, it'll depend on the implementation and what it's used for. You won't be playing fully-raytraced Minecraft probably, but a lighter-weight raytraced AO implementation or something might work.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Ray traced reflections at something like half resolution may be doable at 720p too? Might end up a little noisy and soft but the low resolution could hide that a bit.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

RDNA2 does actually have hardware-accelerated ray tracing. It's not as good as Nvidia's, but it's nowhere near as bad as what you're saying. The 6800 XT gets around 60 FPS average in control with ray tracing set to high at 1080p, for instance, which is about equivalent to Nvidia's first-gen ray tracing efforts. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it's cut entirely from this APU. Ray tracing doesn't scale down well, and it seems like an easy and sensible feature to cut when making a low-power GPU. Nobody's going to be tracing any rays on a 15W SoC.

The 6800XT is also $650, I was talking about the 6700XT, which does 40 in Control. I stand corrected on RDNA 2's RT hardware. But yeah, at 1/5th the CUs and 6% of the tdp, this ain't gonna be doing any RT.

pyrotek
May 21, 2004

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

The 6800XT is also $650, I was talking about the 6700XT, which does 40 in Control. I stand corrected on RDNA 2's RT hardware. But yeah, at 1/5th the CUs and 6% of the tdp, this ain't gonna be doing any RT.

Perhaps someone could create a game where you help the GPU trace rays one at a time

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
No way ray traced reflections work at 720p or any other resolution unless dlss is downsampling to something ridiculous. Maybe at one digit frame rates.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I feel like some people are way overblowing what this thing can actually do.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Not DLSS, that’s for sure.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I think AMD finally added raytracing to their official Linux drivers, so if the Steam Deck uses those and not the official open source AMD drivers or the unofficial third-party open source drivers then it might support raytracing.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Kirios posted:

I feel like some people are way overblowing what this thing can actually do.

Rather than ask what it can do, what do you think it can do? And what about that do you think people are not understanding?

pseudorandom name posted:

I think AMD finally added raytracing to their official Linux drivers, so if the Steam Deck uses those and not the official open source AMD drivers or the unofficial third-party open source drivers then it might support raytracing.

Does it have the horsepower to pull it off though? I doubt it.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Eh, arguably no GPU has the horsepower to pull it off since they all rely on a mixture of standard rasterization combined with ray traced lighting and the ray tracing is random sampling with smoothing and inter-frame interpolation.

I'd be curious to see how well it scales downwards, but that'd require the game to deliberately support the heretofore non-existent low-end ray tracing.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Outside of minecraft, raytracing doesn't make enough of a difference to justify the performance hit. It would also probably be extra hard to see on a smaller screen.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I am a huge nerd who likes all kinds of computers but I wasn't sure if I want to buy the Steam Deck since I already have PC, Switch AND PS5 but in the end my partner (who doesn't play games all that much) convinced me to get it so she can play Stardew Valley with mods :kiddo: She already played through the whole game on Switch and then started on PC because she completely loved that you can mod it but disliked sitting at a table to play.

I plan to play stuff like visual novels and similar things on it that I can't be bothered to sit at a table for either. I couldn't give less poo poo about not being able to play graphically intensive things on it because those I want to play on a big screen anyway.

lordfrikk fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jul 22, 2021

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Very excited to play roguelites and JRPGs on the go (i.e., toilet), hoping that pause/resume is as good as it looks for old farts like me who can only sneak in 15-30 minutes of cheeky gaming

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Very excited to play roguelites and JRPGs on the go (i.e., toilet), hoping that pause/resume is as good as it looks for old farts like me who can only sneak in 15-30 minutes of cheeky gaming

This is my opinion as well. So often my play times are short 15-30 minute sessions due to responsibilities :( So in MMO's I tend to play solo, and I find myself gravitating to these top down strategies games. Sometimes I'll save a game and not get back to it for weeks. Some of the times I have to be brief is just because I don't want to sit at my desk anymore after sitting there all day, so this is going to be amazing for that gaming itch.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Is it a WiiU or a Switch?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Is it a WiiU or a Switch?

Neither. It's 50 GameCubes glued together. That's how powerful it is. 50 GameCubes.

https://i.imgur.com/WXlXzVY.mp4

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Hammer Bro. posted:

MtG: Arena can be much less expensive than paper magic.

And honestly I'm probably gonna play quite a bit of it on the Steam Deck. Probably with less lag than on any of my other computers.

It runs fine on my ipad and while I'll admit it can be cheap or even free, during COVID when I sold a bunch of paper I also bought into most of Historic in a 2-3 month time period and over a 15 month period easily put $1500 into xsolla charges. I don't care, I played hundreds or more hours of arena during COVID, but it's the most expensive computer game I play by a lot.

I can't see playing on the deck being a better experience than a tablet but maybe it's at least comparable to playing on my phone (which is totally fine, aside from large boards, which I try to prevent anyone from ever having).

Floob posted:

This is my opinion as well. So often my play times are short 15-30 minute sessions due to responsibilities

I always tell myself I am going to do this and then say "well, just one more run through Dead Cells" and suddenly it's 5AM

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
I wonder if this will be able to play Monster Hunter as that is the one game my pc struggles with. (Though I haven't tried it in a year, so maybe performance has improved?)

Also, will be interesting trying some driving games with the gyroscope! If I can play ets2 and tilt my controller to look out the window,now that would be dope.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 22, 2021

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Same. Handhelds are only as good as their pause/resume ability, so I really hope that part works as advertised.

Looking forward to the ability to play the PC indies that never make it to Switch. At the rate things are going, I'm wondering if I'll be playing Disco Elysium on this before they ever finish the Switch port.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Have they actually shown pause/resume or just talked about it?

I watched the IGN video and while they talked about it a lot I don't think I ever actually saw them pause to black then resume.

Makes me think it's not as instant as the Switch or they would've shown it off front and center instead of dancing around it.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I also realized that my GOG games that have linux ports should work well, right?
That's another library of games available.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Maybe when I get this thing I can finally finish my playthrough of Persona 4 that I started last summer.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

JazzFlight posted:

I also realized that my GOG games that have linux ports should work well, right?

Plus hopefully all the free epic games and itch games?

https://twitter.com/TimSweeneyEpic/status/1415755678849900546

https://twitter.com/moonscript/status/1416081351778832388

Now if xbox game pass (non streaming/linux support) gets on board, we will have access to an insane amount of content.

I know that should all work on windows, and I can probably just dual boot it. But if it all works seamlessly with steamos, all the better.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jul 22, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Game Pass would be a struggle, even if Microsoft made a native Linux version of the store, many of the games on there are packaged as UWP apps which Wine/Proton has zero support for

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

EGS will be on Linux riiiiight after they add that shopping cart

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

JazzFlight posted:

That one is a bit dicier.

So with Steam, there's the steam runtime, which is a stable set of libraries people can target and have a very good chance everything works ootb, the exception being driver fuckery and some really deep glibc shenanigans.

Gog doesn't give a poo poo so they don't have anything like this. Most developers are good enough to realise that they have to ship their dependencies, but enough don't and you get to hunt down libraries yourself, which is extremely terrible to deal with.

That said, most of my library works on my machine. "My machine" being the very big qualifier here, who knows if the deck even ships with any of those common libraries installed when they just isolate every game to its own separate environment. YMMV

e: itch.io works really well, FWIW

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Hammer Bro. posted:

Have they actually shown pause/resume or just talked about it?

I watched the IGN video and while they talked about it a lot I don't think I ever actually saw them pause to black then resume.

Makes me think it's not as instant as the Switch or they would've shown it off front and center instead of dancing around it.

I doubt it exists yet.

Steam games are ordinary Windows games so they have zero support for this feature. I can’t imagine it being anything other than a gross hack.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Out of curiosity I just booted up Hitman 3 on my (Windows) PC and loaded up a level, alt-tabbed and put my PC to sleep, then resumed and the game was still running just fine

But that's just one game and it wouldn't surprise me at all if some of them barf if you put them to sleep, that's not something anyone is QAing right now

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Just straight suspending isn't really hard and I've done it to games before to stop them from wasting CPU time. It's just a signal after all (SIGSTOP). Some games may freak out because of the sudden time jump but that can be solved by simply putting them in their own time namespace, though the game would then never catch up in time.

And if you control the hardware you can of course make standard suspend to RAM work. It usually works ootb anyway.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

iirc early suspend/resume on the PS4 was also hacky and there were games that did not play well with it (like Bloodborne before it got patched). But that also means you can implement it at the OS level and still get pretty good results.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Is Windows support confirmed? Might pick one up for Asheron's Call or some poo poo.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Heran Bago posted:

Is Windows support confirmed? Might pick one up for Asheron's Call or some poo poo.

Supports windows apps through Proton, and you can format the drive and install windows on it if you wish. It seems like it'll only support one boot drive though, so you'll have to choose between SteamOS and Windows. And Windows support may be kinda janky (will there even be drivers for the chip?)

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Shouldn't dual booting be possible? It's just a PC.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

anatomi posted:

Shouldn't dual booting be possible? It's just a PC.

I'm kinda dumb about this kind of thing. There's just a single drive—is it possible to dual boot using drive partitions?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm kinda dumb about this kind of thing. There's just a single drive—is it possible to dual boot using drive partitions?

Yeah, partitioning hard drives makes your computer see them as for all intents and purposes two distinct drives. You can have different OSes in each partition if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Yeah you can do it with partitions.

Plus it's probably possible to boot from USB or the SD card if you want to, how else would you install Windows or reinstall SteamOS if you brick it.