Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

therattle posted:

At least the last three tweets if not more linked to here have been deleted. It makes reading the thread great.

have you tried deleting your posts to keep the quality levels up?

lol just kidding

230 - the upper bounds estimate of the number of worthwhile emails I have sent or received in my life time

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lady Demelza posted:

People make the same mistake about evacuation zones for things like natural disasters. It's not necessarily the area that will suffer devastation, it's the area likely to be inaccessible and/or without basic supplies (water, electric). If you fall over and break a leg, you better hope where you're laying is comfy, because it might take a couple of days for help to reach you.
That factors in with the post-Fukushima attitude towards making exclusion zones under the J-value assessment. If some radiological accident might take a few weeks average off of everyone's life but removing all medical and social support from an area while you try to force everyone out would be far worse, it's probably best to just do temporary short term limited evacuations if that.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
if you ever want me evacuated just take all the booze and wifi to wherever you need me to go, dont talk to me ffs

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
in china if you don't wear your mask you get a beating

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

NotJustANumber99 posted:

have you tried deleting your posts to keep the quality levels up?

lol just kidding

230 - the upper bounds estimate of the number of worthwhile emails I have sent or received in my life time

No, but I have reduced the number!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

these days, if you say you are taiwanese they arrest you and put you in jail

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
and give you a beating

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

crispix posted:

in china if you don't wear your mask you get a beating

Every single piece of anti-chinese propaganda I've read in the last few years has made me more pro China. Billionaire tax frauds are disappeared, companies are expected to follow laws, quarantines are actually enforced, and now public health risks are patriotically assaulted? Sounds like paradise

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
in any society there are certain people who just need a beating, i suppose

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
personally i think if we had more schemes for the children then people would grow up to be better citizens and there'd be fewer folk in need of beatings

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
And the paradox is that a certain quantity of people who think that all social problems can be solved by giving people a beating just need a beating. Calculate by integration from zero to infinity. Then calculate by beatings.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
factor in schemes for the children

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
Imo violence is only a "good" method against the extremely powerful, since they can just ignore everything else

But maybe covid health traitors can have a little beating, as a treat

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Stephen Benn, 3rd Viscount Stansgate, should be eligible for a bit of a beating on account of the views of his da too. It could factor in as a scheme for the children.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
beatings as a scheme for the children is p much the victorian era

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
I'm in Hong Kong and it's 30 something degrees every day and the humidity is through the roof, but everyone is wearing a mask all the time when outside of the house. It does get hot but it doesn't actually stop you from breathing or anything, you just need to get used to it.

Reading stories of supermarkets filled with unmasked people, some of whom are quite probably infected, is pretty horrifying tbh.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rabelais D posted:

I'm in Hong Kong and it's 30 something degrees every day and the humidity is through the roof, but everyone is wearing a mask all the time when outside of the house. It does get hot but it doesn't actually stop you from breathing or anything, you just need to get used to it.

Reading stories of supermarkets filled with unmasked people, some of whom are quite probably infected, is pretty horrifying tbh.

Oh I didn't mean 'wah I'm uncomfy so i won't wear a mask', I've been wearing a mask all the time I'm outside of the house since the pandemic started. But I am suffering a bit and struggling to avoid actual heat stress so I take it off to cool down.

Rabelais D
Dec 11, 2012

ts'u nnu k'u k'o t'khye:
A demon doth defecate at thy door
Yeah sorry, I didn't mean for my post to sound that holier than thou.

I just this week asked my parents (70+, in Suffolk) to put a mask on outside when they visit an open garden or whatever, they said "well it's outside, nobody wears masks outside".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spangly A posted:

Every single piece of anti-chinese propaganda I've read in the last few years has made me more pro China. Billionaire tax frauds are disappeared, companies are expected to follow laws, quarantines are actually enforced, and now public health risks are patriotically assaulted? Sounds like paradise

The 'they're disturbingly effective at genociding Muslims' one is a wee bit difficult to put a positive spin on, though.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

fuctifino posted:

There were so many people not wearing masks when I went into town today. Even in the pharmacy, where there's a sign out strongly asking for people to wear masks, someone just walked in sniffling and coughing without a mask. It was similar in the supermarket too.

Some people just don't give a poo poo :(

Its not because they don't give a poo poo they are just following the advice of our glorious leaders

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Rabelais D posted:

I just this week asked my parents (70+, in Suffolk) to put a mask on outside when they visit an open garden or whatever, they said "well it's outside, nobody wears masks outside".

I'll be honest apart from a brief period right at the the start of this I don't think I've seen anyone wearing masks just walking outside on the street, but I understand that's pretty common in other countries?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

The 'they're disturbingly effective at genociding Muslims' one is a wee bit difficult to put a positive spin on, though.

That's mostly a bunch of nonsense made up by a far-right evangelist, OP.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
This area majority people wear masks indoors but not outdoors and the infection rate has always been lower than Sheffield where you see more masks - because we always did have the luxury of space and that’s the key really.

Don’t worry about people going to open stately home gardens unmasked, do worry about packed Saturday morning high streets

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I like a good beating

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:

Not So Fast posted:

😮

Is that true? Tbh I've not had time to properly focus on the Uighur situation (know that's an awful way to phrase it) in China. Who's the far right evangelist?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Mourning Due posted:

😮

Is that true? Tbh I've not had time to properly focus on the Uighur situation (know that's an awful way to phrase it) in China. Who's the far right evangelist?

No it's not and genocide denying ought to be a bannable offense.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Mourning Due posted:

😮

https://thegrayzone.com/2019/12/21/china-detaining-millions-uyghurs-problems-claims-us-ngo-researcher/

Look, I'm not going to claim there's nothing bad happening in Xinjiang, there's definitely a mass surveillance state operation going on aimed at cracking down on Islamic extremism and separatism, think of it more like China's own War on Terror. But claims of genocide are usually overblown exaggerations of what's actually going on and it does the Uighur minority no favours.

Take for example the forced labour claims. There's been no proof of this beyond allegations by Adrian Zenz and his think tank, and companies like Sketchers who investigate their supply chain find no evidence either. But now you have Chinese companies refusing to hire Uighurs for fear of US sanctions.

https://about.skechers.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/SKECHERS-USA-STATEMENT-UYGHURS-March-2021.pdf
https://www.wsj.com/articles/chines...t.co/bCspZiQ2FV

Not So Fast fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 22, 2021

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Currently trying to read an old FT intro to investing book and I have so very, very many ethical questions.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Not So Fast posted:

Take for example the forced labour claims. There's been no proof of this beyond allegations by Adrian Zenz and his think tank, and companies like Sketchers who investigate their supply chain find no evidence either. But now you have Chinese companies refusing to hire Uighurs for fear of US sanctions.

BBC posted:

Earlier, leaked documents known as the China Cables made clear that the camps were intended to be run as high security prisons, with strict discipline and punishments.

People who have managed to escape the camps have reported physical, mental and sexual torture. Women have spoken of mass rape and sexual abuse.
That first link you give is extremely sketchy as well, claiming that it all comes from 2 US studies when 3 seconds on Google tells me there's actually quite a lot of independent sources internationally.

I'm not denying that the US is almost certainly exaggerating things for political reasons, but

Not So Fast posted:

is really not a good look when there's very obviously a lot of very nasty poo poo going on.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Not So Fast posted:

https://about.skechers.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/SKECHERS-USA-STATEMENT-UYGHURS-March-2021.pdf
https://www.wsj.com/articles/chines...t.co/bCspZiQ2FV

What about investigations using satellite photos that have shown that more than a hundred factories have been constructed abutting prison camps?

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/alison_killing/xinjiang-camps-china-factories-forced-labor

Xinjiang really seems to bring out the tankies for some reason.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarl%27s_Wood_Immigration_Removal_Centre though.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
cursèd thought for the morning: Yoga With Adriene Zenz

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
A company investigating their own supply chain and saying "welp no forced labour here" is not really something you can trust. I mean, companies always say that and keep getting found out for all sorts of violations whether forced labour or other abuses.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Got my second pfizer shot yesterday and apart from a slightly more sore arm than last time I feel good. Good enough to go out on a 3 hour MTB ride yesterday evening! Still amazed at how slick and smooth the whole process was. Was a lot of people there too (Ashton Gate in Bristol) so lots of people are still very happy getting their vax.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Aphex- posted:

Got my second pfizer shot yesterday and apart from a slightly more sore arm than last time I feel good. Good enough to go out on a 3 hour MTB ride yesterday evening! Still amazed at how slick and smooth the whole process was. Was a lot of people there too (Ashton Gate in Bristol) so lots of people are still very happy getting their vax.

There is a small issue with Ashton Gate, in that they took bookings for 2nd dose appointments until the end of September but will now be shutting in August.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Not So Fast posted:

lol

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Oh, it's merely cycling an entire population through a series of concentration camps where they undergo horrific abuse, forced labour, and the crushing of all their beliefs, but they aren't death camps so it's all ok.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Also all those mosques just happened to have structural issues that meant that they had to be bulldozed.

Edit: Seriously, "well actually"ing about Xinjiang should be probatable. It comes up often enough in various discussions in D&D to be an issue.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

e: nvm. Just pretend I wrote the above post.

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jul 22, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
“Well, it doesn’t necessarily fit the formal definition of genocide, you see”.

Agree that it should be probatable.