Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

larchesdanrew posted:

We lost a client today because they refused to renew the support contract with the vendor on an xray machine, knowing full-well that uncovered support was $299 every 15 minutes and really rolled that dice.

Guess what broke this morning? And guess what we don't have the ability to, nor want to, work on?

Guess who had to pay $300 every 15 minutes to have a loving filament replaced on their xray this morning?

Guess who blamed us and fired us?

Guess who really cares at this point?

Bullet safely dodged. Thanks, client!

e: happy page :420:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

larchesdanrew posted:

We lost a client today because they refused to renew the support contract with the vendor on an xray machine, knowing full-well that uncovered support was $299 every 15 minutes and really rolled that dice.

Guess what broke this morning? And guess what we don't have the ability to, nor want to, work on?

Guess who had to pay $300 every 15 minutes to have a loving filament replaced on their xray this morning?

Guess who blamed us and fired us?

Guess who really cares at this point?

I wonder if I could cross reference this story with the working in healthcare thread and figure out which hospital to avoid

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

RFC2324 posted:

I wonder if I could cross reference this story with the working in healthcare thread and figure out which hospital to avoid

Please don’t dox me :ohdear:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

"Hi, ya, I have this macro that stopped working a while back, and I found an article that says if you remove all the java class loading restrictions on our internet facing production applications that would be amazing"

wanna bet I end up doing it?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
A QR Code came in.

Our bank now requires MFA which is QR code on screen, we use the scanner they sent to scan it, generates a PIN to login.

User complains that this does not work for them, assume our new proxy was blocking it or something weird but then they explained their colleague can get on fine.

This particular user has a really really obscure resolution setup because they are blind as a bat, have a 16:9 monitor and an app they use runs in a non-resizable window which turns out to be the fault.
The obscure res is causing the QR code to be warped enough that the scanner doesn't recognise it as a QR code.

I tried a few similar resolutions which fixed the QR code, but they user wasn't happy with any of them for their day to day work.

In the end the solution was print screen, print the QR code and scan it from the paper.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Got a notice that our cloud-connected UPS's have a new firmware out that fixes vulnerabilities. Awesome. Guess I'm firmware updating a dozen UPS's this weekend.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

GreenNight posted:

Got a notice that our cloud-connected UPS's
*Snip*

Why is that a thing? I feel like this is a prime example of "things that should never be internet facing".

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

They send alerts if there are power issues. We have them in a specific vlan along with other items like vending machines that need absolutely no access to the LAN.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

angry armadillo posted:

A QR Code came in.

Our bank now requires MFA which is QR code on screen, we use the scanner they sent to scan it, generates a PIN to login.

User complains that this does not work for them, assume our new proxy was blocking it or

The Italian national id platform is even more convoluted,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HlDJvtY_c0

Go to the service website, insert the card number, scan a QR code, insert the last part of the pin code, scan the card using nfc, type the otp code and access the service.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
A ticket came in from someone who's been paying for Acrobat Pro for several months because the AAD-linked license suddenly stopped working and they entered their credit card info instead of contacting us. I hope it was company CC instead of a personal one.

Adobe AAD licensing has been a mess in general. We get a few tickets every week where the Acrobat Pro stops working because the person's account gets removed from the license pool on Adobe's end even though they never left the AAD group.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's been a few years since I touched it, but Adobe's SSO licensing was so bad that I had to threaten our VAR to pull all business if they didn't find a way to convert our purchase over to a perpetual license.

I would prefer named-user license with SSO any day of the week over managing perpetual licenses. But in this case it was so unbelievably bad. And that was after months of troubleshoot and awfulness from Adobe.

Ugh.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

GreenNight posted:

They send alerts if there are power issues. We have them in a specific vlan along with other items like vending machines that need absolutely no access to the LAN.
Surely they're just sending alerts to your EMS though, right?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Hahah, EMS. Sure buddy. EMS is my email address.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
:rip: your inbox.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

GreenNight posted:

I remember when you gave them an sms/smtp gateway and they alerted that way, but without the whole "needing to connect my smart power outlet directly to the internet full of people who think it would be funny to turn on and off repeatedly"

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Well the entire UPS could die and the gear would be fine. One outlet to a UPS and the other to the buildings power but yeah. My boss was psyched he could see every UPS from a single pane of glass.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

GreenNight posted:

I first misread this as saying you had your vending machines on the UPSes, which would be a better use for some than certain users I've seen get them.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah these UPS's are in cabinets in our manufacturing facilities and warehouses. So like 20-30 feet off the floor.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Knormal posted:

I first misread this as saying you had your vending machines on the UPSes, which would be a better use for some than certain users I've seen get them.

I've seen a UPS where the only thing on the battery side was a space heater and a printer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I've seen a UPS where the only thing on the battery side was a space heater and a printer.

Losing them would affect productivity!!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

A, space heaters. Three years in a row we got tickets that the guest sign-in computer in one building wasn't turning on. Both times it was a space heater on the power strap. The third year I emailed the contact and get a reply with a lot of cc's, because sign-in is pretty critical. I mention the previous space heater incidents and a manager loses his poo poo on reply-all. A day of looking bad because they had to send visitors, interviewees, and people who forgot their badges to another building, and it was their own fault. It was pretty spectacular.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I use my old UPS as effectively a big power strip to run my 3D printer. The upshot of this is that when our power got really dodgy for a few weeks (8 outages in 2.5 weeks), my printer never stopped because it and the rPi were on the battery side.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Adobe is a big pain in the rear end for us because we have an optics division that demands 15+ Adobe programs to do their work. Which means every month another program gets updated, we get vulnerabilities popping up, then we have to patch them manually because whatever automated system we're supposed to use is broken and doesn't like Adobe products. Also our best tech just got a job offer for Hawaii so I feel like I'm going to be drowning in work soon

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I misconfigured a production router causing it to completely poo poo the bed, and IT chose that exact time to push an update and forced my PC to reboot with only 1 minute warning to save my work.

I need a god drat drink.

I need a lot of god drat drinks.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 24, 2021

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Renegret posted:

I misconfigured a production router causing it to completely poo poo the bed, and IT chose that exact time to push an update and forced my PC to reboot with only 1 minute warning to save my work.

I need a god drat drink.

I need a lot of god drat drinks.

Wait did you get an update with a single minute to reboot or did you got an update, hosed around for X hours and noticed only when the reboot was up? I usually check for updates and reboot before touching everything infrastructure or remote.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

SlowBloke posted:

Wait did you get an update with a single minute to reboot or did you got an update, hosed around for X hours and noticed only when the reboot was up? I usually check for updates and reboot before touching everything infrastructure or remote.

I got a popup saying YOUR COMPUTER WILL REBOOT IN 1 MINUTE with no way to delay it. And then it rebooted a minute later.

I'm not a windows guy but I'm assuming someone pressed a GPO button and forced it. It sure felt that way. It happened again a half hour later too.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Renegret posted:

I got a popup saying YOUR COMPUTER WILL REBOOT IN 1 MINUTE with no way to delay it. And then it rebooted a minute later.

I'm not a windows guy but I'm assuming someone pressed a GPO button and forced it. It sure felt that way. It happened again a half hour later too.

Computer rebooting with a single minute sounds like someone cocked up an application push that required a reboot(and failed to execute given the second attempt). Both sccm and intune have dedicated notifications for updates requiring reboots, the generic reboot is for apps only in my experience.

EDIT: Now that I have thought about it, it was 100% a script to execute the SAM file rights corrective, it would require a reboot to stick. That’s the only thing it comes to mind that I would suicide push these days.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Jul 24, 2021

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I had a feeling it was some kind of security push honestly. Our IT generally doesn't force reboots like that and 2AM on a Saturday morning is probably the least destructive time to do it. I have a habit of never turning my laptop off so it had to run updates for 20 minutes though.

At least I had a tech on site who worked on getting management back up so I could go unfuck the config once I got back online.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Commit confirm all day long

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Thanks Ants posted:

Commit confirm all day long

This or if not supported/present, don’t work after the moon is up.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

posting on the magic smoke page

i think in general you can just run `shutdown -a` and it'll cancel the shutdown, though i guess it'll pop up again the next time intune or whatever checks in

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Jeoh posted:

posting on the magic smoke page

i think in general you can just run `shutdown -a` and it'll cancel the shutdown, though i guess it'll pop up again the next time intune or whatever checks in

Sccm will gently caress you over this since it records the expected reboot time and will force it to execute on a time in the past at the next ccmexec task(which is something in between one and fifteen minutes)

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Shutdown /restart gives a minute warning.

They should have added /force

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

SlowBloke posted:

Sccm will gently caress you over this since it records the expected reboot time and will force it to execute on a time in the past at the next ccmexec task(which is something in between one and fifteen minutes)

Sounds like our sysadmin uses that. I've explicitly instructed Windows that I want to reboot Fridays at 5pm, it still asks me several times a week if I want to reboot & apply updates NOW, and at least once I've come back from lunch to find it rebooted all by itself, wiping out my email draft, dev environment state, telnet sessions etc.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

It's really a shame we can't trust people to just do their own updates in a timely fashion, tho the only reason to do it during business hours is to be visible.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Sywert of Thieves posted:

Sounds like our sysadmin uses that. I've explicitly instructed Windows that I want to reboot Fridays at 5pm, it still asks me several times a week if I want to reboot & apply updates NOW, and at least once I've come back from lunch to find it rebooted all by itself, wiping out my email draft, dev environment state, telnet sessions etc.

That sounded like sccm or intune deadline mode, you can say “install whenever the office hours are done” but impose a “if the user doesn’t react in X days, gently caress him and install+reboot now” option

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jul 24, 2021

kzersatz
Oct 13, 2012

How's it the kiss of death, if I have no lips?
College Slice
"Shutdown /a" all day when I'm working on important poo poo and I don't want to hazard with a 30min reboot cycle.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
A fibre issue came in:

Armadillo can you "analyse this network" that some subcontractors installed because it doesnt work? erm what, it's not been accepted yet so I'm not touching it

Oh by the way, here is a spec sheet that says the equipment they've used is no where near capable of working on the lengths of fibre they've used.

Great you found the problem yourselves? Get the contractors to change their design? Why am I here? Sigh

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
A dumb thing that keeps happening:

We admin a bunch of phone systems. Often for mid-sized businesses they’ll have a bunch of blocks of numbers for DIDs. The local phone company sells them in blocks of 10, like you can get 555-1230 through 555-1239.

Generally when we set up a new system the standard practice is to assign extension numbers for DID users which match the last 4 digits of their public phone number, so it’s easy to remember.

E.g. we’ll set up Joe User as extension 1234 with a DID line 555-1234.

This is all well and good except that often they’re not going to give everyone in the business a direct line, but they want the extension numbers to line up, so e.g. they’ll have a bunch of users 123X with DIDs and then users with 124X extensions without direct dial lines, and sometimes they’ll get confused about why some people have direct lines but others don’t.

And then when new users get added…

Multiple times now I’ve seen cases where a new user is requested to be set up, with no mention made of the user needing a direct line, and then they wonder why they don’t have one.

At least twice now I’ve heard of business cards being printed up with a phone number the business doesn’t own.

I mostly blame the sales guys for bad communication in not specifically asking if the customer needs a DID when they request a new phone extension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

Entropic posted:

A phone thing keeps happening

Ugh, the director at my previous job was notorious for this sort of idiocy.

Employee A would be starting and I'd ask what the plan was.

:v: "I see they're going in %office%? The phone number for that office is %number%"
:mad: "That won't work at all. I want them to have a new number."
:v: "Alright, I'll just need to call AT&T and get that set up. They'll need to send a tech out to reactivate that line."
:mad: "I don't need to know every step. Just tell me when it's finished."
:v: "Well, I'll need to know what you want the new number to be, and what you want the extension to be."
:mad: "It doesn't matter what they are, just let me know when they're ready."

*A week later*

:v: "Alright, the line is now activated with %number% and %extension%."
:mad: "Why would you choose those?? I've already had 2,000 business cards made with %othernumber% and %otherextension%."
:v: ...
:mad: ...
:v: ...
:mad: ...
:v: *dies*