Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

It'd be funny to have an isekai where a super powerful magic user accidentally teleports themselves into a world where there is no magic, so they just have to be a regular person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

You're talking about devil is a part-timer.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Lostconfused posted:

Demon King in Distress also fits this.

https://mangakakalot.com/read-aa3rb158505015508

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Gripweed posted:

The guy who did that gambling manga, Kakegurui, started another manga series. It's a fantasy series about a guy who sets out to kill a group of warriors who reincarnated into the fantasy world from other worlds and have extremely overpowered abilities. It was cancelled after literally one issue because some readers noticed similarities between the evil warriors and characters from other popular manga.

Having read the one or two chapters of this I feel like there's one important thing that needs to be mentioned about it. The protagonist's only secret weapon is that a witch taught him the word "NEET", which he doesn't understand but when he says it it scares isekai heroes.

Edit:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It'd be funny to have an isekai where a super powerful magic user accidentally teleports themselves into a world where there is no magic, so they just have to be a regular person.
This is also Jahy-Sama, I think?

Pitch has issued a correction as of 04:21 on Jul 22, 2021

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Eureka on sci fi is an isekai

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Pitch posted:

Having read the one or two chapters of this I feel like there's one important thing that needs to be mentioned about it. The protagonist's only secret weapon is that a witch taught him the word "NEET", which he doesn't understand but when he says it it scares isekai heroes.

Edit:

That also makes little sense since some of those characters were also not "NEETS" in there previous lives. Nerds sure, but Bakarina was just a normal HS girl, Rimuru was a manager at construction firm and seemingly pretty content(fantasy nerd though), Tanya was also company manager who was a history buff, and Ainz was company drone who lived a lovely life but not from being a NEET, and I'm not sure about Wiseman's Grandchild, but I doubt he really fits here either.

Yes Jahy-sama fits as well and is also getting an anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_YFXluGjgU
YOU GOT THIS JAHY!!! WE BELIEVE IN YOU!!!

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

pillsburysoldier posted:

That was a really good show. Same for Warehouse 13.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

doomrider7 posted:

That also makes little sense since some of those characters were also not "NEETS" in there previous lives. Nerds sure, but Bakarina was just a normal HS girl, Rimuru was a manager at construction firm and seemingly pretty content(fantasy nerd though), Tanya was also company manager who was a history buff, and Ainz was company drone who lived a lovely life but not from being a NEET, and I'm not sure about Wiseman's Grandchild, but I doubt he really fits here either.
Well he only got as far as using it against the Wiseman's Grandchild guy and I don't know anything about him.

I really wanted to know how Re:Zero's Subaru or especially Katarina Claes were supposed to be abusing their powers for personal gain but they really just make appearances in the big group meeting, and Katarina seems to be more like the evil duchess character she replaced.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Pitch posted:

Well he only got as far as using it against the Wiseman's Grandchild guy and I don't know anything about him.

I really wanted to know how Re:Zero's Subaru or especially Katarina Claes were supposed to be abusing their powers for personal gain but they really just make appearances in the big group meeting, and Katarina seems to be more like the evil duchess character she replaced.

True. I did get the implication that they were going with the idea that all of them were neet otaku. Good question on how they'd abuse their powers and positions.

Funny thing. Imerda Piñata sounds like "lovely Piñata" in spanish.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

If all the characters are afraid of the word "NEET" then it's not really about the characters in particular, but the audience for Isekai.

Lostconfused posted:

Pitch posted:

the "other world" can't be our world

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

doomrider7 posted:

Yes Jahy-sama fits as well and is also getting an anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_YFXluGjgU
YOU GOT THIS JAHY!!! WE BELIEVE IN YOU!!!
hell yeah, it's actually a 9000-year-old demon. very cool.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

that “Laika the space dog was really a sexy vampire” show better be good…

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Gripweed posted:

. It was cancelled after literally one issue because some readers noticed similarities between the evil warriors and characters from other popular manga.

It got cancelled because they were shallow and bad parodies not because they were parodies.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Meanwhile Eureka Seven isn't an isekai but is very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYXVp4KV7Rw

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
somewhat off topic, but my wife and I have been watching "the disastrous life of Saiki K". Man this show is so loving good. It has to be the funniest anime I've ever seen. The premise is awesome, pretty much all of the characters are hilarious, and every "episode" is only 4 minutes, which means even if a premise is just ok its on to the next one soon. I also really like that it's very wholesome and light. It's a nice break from all the grim dark bullshit in both media and real life. I ignored it on netflix for a long time because I thought it looked stupid, but seriously, give it a shot. Its premise is totally different, but it kind of gives me the same feeling as watching futurama.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

MonsieurChoc posted:

I think some of the movies actually were isekai but I don't know about good.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there is one isekai wn where the guy is the only human in a world of various kinds of demihuman. except, he's the only human because the native humans of that world were exterminated by every other race. humans have an escalating ability to increase in power but that also comes with an irreversible, incurable and unpreventable form of murderous insanity. the isekai'd dude is subject to the same affliction which he has to constantly manage so that he doesn't go insane and have to be put down.

so despite the usual inexplicable rpg systems, it's not really much of a power fantasy!

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Anyone else remember that episode of GITS where Togusa is accused of prejudicial behaviour in court and the episode ends with Batou just straight up murdering the defendant and his lawyer with a rental car?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

MonsieurChoc posted:

but Eureka Seven Hi-Evolution 2: Anemone is

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Mirello posted:

somewhat off topic, but my wife and I have been watching "the disastrous life of Saiki K". Man this show is so loving good. It has to be the funniest anime I've ever seen. The premise is awesome, pretty much all of the characters are hilarious, and every "episode" is only 4 minutes, which means even if a premise is just ok its on to the next one soon. I also really like that it's very wholesome and light. It's a nice break from all the grim dark bullshit in both media and real life. I ignored it on netflix for a long time because I thought it looked stupid, but seriously, give it a shot. Its premise is totally different, but it kind of gives me the same feeling as watching futurama.

Hell yeah that show is great.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Goons: what is the best anime about a robot? Bonus points for obscurity or homosexuality. TIA

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Star Driver

it's not the best robot show it's just a random one I remembered

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

tokin opposition posted:

Goons: what is the best anime about a robot? Bonus points for obscurity or homosexuality. TIA

the gay version of NGE ofc

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

tokin opposition posted:

ttgl

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tokin opposition posted:

Turn A Gundam is an incredible confluence of artistic talent, and the protagonist dude rocks a ballgown.

Syd Mead (of Blade Runner and Alien fame) is the mechanical designer...

... and Yoko Kanno (the lady who did the Cowboy Bebop soundtrack) is in charge of the music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgYKIZa3ktQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdzyZO3fbDY

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
i've only seen one gundam show and it was turn a and i'm glad i chose that

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Truga posted:

i've only seen one gundam show and it was turn a and i'm glad i chose that

The franchise has a bunch of other gems too. The original Mobile Suit Gundam, 0080, Thunderbolt (the movies), G, IBO, and Build Fighters (the original) are all very solid watches, although their tone and aesthetic varies wildly.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Build Divers Re: Rise is secretly really good too. You don't find out until the last half, but it turns out it's good.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The best anime about a robot is the Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō OVAs, and after watching that you can read the manga.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

tokin opposition posted:

It was only ever a manga, but Naoki Urasawa's Pluto is head and shoulders above most in the genre

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Blame! is technically about a robot I guess

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Mirello posted:

It's fantastic. There's another show on Netflix, "The Daily Life of the Immortal King" that has a similar premise. It gets a little more serious at times, but if you like Saiki K I bet you will like it.

tokin opposition posted:

Do you mean like how Gundam is about a robot or like how Vivy Fluorite Eye's Song is about a robot?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Char's Counter-Attack and the recent Hathaway movie are also good Gundams.

VOTOMS and Mellowlink are definitely worth a check too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySnuPN_3Xts

There's also Evangelion.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

grate deceiver posted:

Blame! is technically about a robot I guess

I had zero expectations for the Blame! movie being 3dcg, but it actually captures the atmosphere and tone of the manga perfectly.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The best anime about a robot is the Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō OVAs, and after watching that you can read the manga.

this is correct

mcclay
Jul 8, 2013

Oh dear oh gosh oh darn
Soiled Meat
char and garma zabi were loving so OG gundam has gays and robots

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

I wonder if there's anything such as a double isekai, which is when a character from another world gets taken to another other world.

Death Mage, wherein a the mc gets isekai'd into a cyberpunk Japan where, due to god loving up his rebirth, he lives as a subject of human experimentation for 18 years before getting killed by his former classmates (also isekai'd). Not a spoiler this is the prologue.

He then gets reincarnated into a generic fantasy universe as a damphir with op death magic. He then goes on to fight a race war against humanity on behalf of the monster races. Because humans killed his dark elf mom.

His main motivation to get revenge on the god that hosed up his reincarnation (sorta like Tanya) and his former classmates once they are reborn.

Sorta like overlord the protag is an amoral op lich but with the twist that he's a PTSD victim fighting on behalf of oppressed races.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Dreddout posted:

Death Mage, wherein a the mc gets isekai'd into a cyberpunk Japan where, due to god loving up his rebirth, he lives as a subject of human experimentation for 18 years before getting killed by his former classmates (also isekai'd). Not a spoiler this is the prologue.

He then gets reincarnated into a generic fantasy universe as a damphir with op death magic. He then goes on to fight a race war against humanity on behalf of the monster races. Because humans killed his dark elf mom.

His main motivation to get revenge on the god that hosed up his reincarnation (sorta like Tanya) and his former classmates once they are reborn.

Sorta like overlord the protag is an amoral op lich but with the twist that he's a PTSD victim fighting on behalf of oppressed races.

yeah that's magic baby one I mentioned but couldn't remember the name of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it has this strange pervasive objection to free will. aside from gods, everyone else who ends up on the mc's side goes through radical cognitive alteration and often biological alteration as well. the result is absolute loyalty and devotion and a bunch of monster women who want to jump a tiny child's bones. it's very unsettling and i'm not sure if that is intended or not.