Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The State of California is in the market for a videogame company.

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/1418017955841982465/photo/1

https://aboutblaw.com/YJw

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/daily-labor-report/activision-blizzard-sued-by-california-over-frat-boy-culture

Activision Blizzard: bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Activision Blizzard: bad
No ethical consumption in capitalism, etc.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm a cheap bastard, but the amount of rabid vitriol being hurled at Ben & Jerry's for ceasing sales to Israel's illegal settlements (only the settlements!) might actually get me to spring for something more than store brand for once.

https://twitter.com/JudahAriGross/status/1417189546878451712?s=19

https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/1417872961609117702?s=19

https://twitter.com/Ostrov_A/status/1417861221957701633?s=19

It should be something straight out of [insert latest political comedy show here], but it's real. Palestinians continue being murdered and expelled from their homes, but the real atrocity here is ice cream.

It's worth remembering that a memeber of the Jewish Council here stood up before the victims of the massacre and said that Hezbollah and Hamas were the real threats and it's disgraceful that NZ won't condemn them.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Cugel the Clever posted:

I'm a cheap bastard, but the amount of rabid vitriol being hurled at Ben & Jerry's for ceasing sales to Israel's illegal settlements (only the settlements!) might actually get me to spring for something more than store brand for once.

https://twitter.com/JudahAriGross/status/1417189546878451712?s=19

https://twitter.com/NTarnopolsky/status/1417872961609117702?s=19

https://twitter.com/Ostrov_A/status/1417861221957701633?s=19

It should be something straight out of [insert latest political comedy show here], but it's real. Palestinians continue being murdered and expelled from their homes, but the real atrocity here is ice cream.

https://twitter.com/AmiV2/status/1417875273232666624

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/TTDAFLCIO/status/1417164251345694729?s=19

Stolen from doomsday economics, is this the cool zone?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Nah. Cool zone is civil unrest. This is just our comeuppance.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
Looks like Chi is full of containers and they’re not sending them out fast enough, so the west coast has to stop sending to Chi.

Supply chain is a mess everywhere.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Woodchip posted:

Looks like Chi is full of containers and they’re not sending them out fast enough, so the west coast has to stop sending to Chi.

Supply chain is a mess everywhere.

There are little things with supply chain that seem to be getting worse and not better, and I kind of feel unnerved by the fact nobody is really talking about it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bengy81 posted:

There are little things with supply chain that seem to be getting worse and not better, and I kind of feel unnerved by the fact nobody is really talking about it.

And there’s a bipartisan movement to gum up the works even more with a “harder stance” on China!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

There’s a saying that if you have the facts on your side, pound the facts. If you have the law on your side, pound the law. If you have neither the facts nor the law, pound the table.

Blaming “unaccountable State bureaucrats” is pounding the table.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
About that "tragic suicide of an employee whose passing has no bearing on this case whatsoever..."

https://twitter.com/LukeShooty/status/1418025612887867400?s=20

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Godholio posted:

About that "tragic suicide of an employee whose passing has no bearing on this case whatsoever..."

https://twitter.com/LukeShooty/status/1418025612887867400?s=20

wtf

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Jesus Christ loving gently caress Activision/Blizzard

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

bengy81 posted:

Gonna be ~LIT AF~ waiting in line at 3:30am at the supermarket when the food shortages start! :shepface:

Or camping at 24h supermarkets to go feral when trailers come in.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

bengy81 posted:

Current worry is the lack of vaccination for mariners worldwide. The inability to get on/off a ship is driving down the viability/attractiveness and people are leaving to do other things. Like 5% of Filipino seafarers are vaccinated or something and they make up a large % of the labor force. Right now the US is struggling to fill our open slots.

JIT was great for overall efficiency but it sure struggles to account for variability.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

lightpole posted:

Current worry is the lack of vaccination for mariners worldwide. The inability to get on/off a ship is driving down the viability/attractiveness and people are leaving to do other things. Like 5% of Filipino seafarers are vaccinated or something and they make up a large % of the labor force. Right now the US is struggling to fill our open slots.

JIT was great for overall efficiency but it sure struggles to account for variability.

That's what I was thinking. I've been on half a dozen conference calls and meetings in the last few months talking about how our company is leaning in suppliers hard to get inventory to us, but nobody is talking about how we would be in slightly better (not great!) shape if we hadn't moved all our manufacturing overseas. I work in a medical adjacent industry, and talking with customer and friends in other aspects of the business and it's hosed all over.

The consumer side sucks as well, like, I love going to the grocery store and it's flat out of some random thing, like bread or onions. Also if seems like the quality of produce has gotten significantly worse. I won't buy more than a head of garlic at one time because they end up going bad by the end of the week, as an example. There is also like no inventory for any of my hobby stuff available, which is an extremely first world problem to have.

But don't worry, I'm sure the fact that our politicians haven't said poo poo about it means it's not a big deal!

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I wanted to explore more of the tradeoff between flexibility and efficiency in multiple aspects in grad school but I didn't have time. Companies centralize for efficiency purposes but that cuts down on the ability to account for variability. Its also seen in a chain of command, the person at the top can hold all authority and make sure everything runs exactly how they want or they can delegate, accept a higher variability in responses, with the tradeoff being greater responsiveness.

Right now, if your Christmas cargo isn't on a ship you're in trouble. Matson is printing money hand over fist cause they can garuantee 2 week delivery from China. Finding cargo space on a ship is only half the problem currently. Theres trouble getting space in China to load and on the west coast to unload. All aspects of that are long lead time, high Capex to change.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I deleted my Blizzard account back when they triple-downed on being CCP running dogs with the bans of any league players expressing even the slightest solidarity with Hong Kong's pro-democracy protests. Haven't looked back.

Speaking of which, one of the few things Britain has done right recently is expand the visa available to HK residents.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

bengy81 posted:

Start prepping.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Intel already said the chip shortage coule last 2+ years

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Cugel the Clever posted:

I deleted my Blizzard account back when they triple-downed on being CCP running dogs with the bans of any league players expressing even the slightest solidarity with Hong Kong's pro-democracy protests. Haven't looked back.

Same here.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I'm still feeling the impact at work of the Ever Given blocking the Suez canal. And on top of the semiconductor shortage, there's also a loving wood-shortage, and a ZF plant got drowned in the recent flooding and the company hasn't even given a rough estimate on when it'll be able to resume production.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Between the forests of the PNW being on fire like, 80% of the year now, the constant tariff increases over the past five years, and the absurd number of home renos people started doing during the pandemic, I have no idea when we're actually going to see lumber prices go down again.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm still feeling the impact at work of the Ever Given blocking the Suez canal. And on top of the semiconductor shortage, there's also a loving wood-shortage, and a ZF plant got drowned in the recent flooding and the company hasn't even given a rough estimate on when it'll be able to resume production.

ZF? Yeah.... that's gonna have enormous impacts.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

loving hell. How hard is it to treat people like people.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Blizzard is less than 10 minutes from my house. Was keeping my eye on them for a fat post Fed retirement in a couple of years. Guess I'm back to justifying working for Disney.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
By many accounts the least lovely large game company to work for in 2021 is, incredibly surprisingly, EA. They have some predatory business practices but they're also apparently quite inclusive -- a former manager of mine is now a creative development director for them and has been for a couple years, and one of her core responsibilities is ensuring people in her division feel included, welcomed, and safe. She was the kind of boss who was all about making sure that really happens (and she and I talked a couple times about how she wished she could do more for the culture at the company we were both at), so I'm willing to believe that's really the case there.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
current event: Americans like getting child tax credit money that passed in the last covid stimulus plan back in March. Turns out $300/month per child is a big deal for middle class and lower income parents.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Soon to be current event: the next person who tells me we shouldn't politicise the 22July shootings AT A LABOUR PARTY YOUTH CAMP will get punched in the face. politically. loving hell. i was involved in the response, and knew several people there, but even top brass people in the labour party are saying stuff like this now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Kazinsal posted:

Between the forests of the PNW being on fire like, 80% of the year now, the constant tariff increases over the past five years, and the absurd number of home renos people started doing during the pandemic, I have no idea when we're actually going to see lumber prices go down again.

How were the tariffs done, were they an actual law or an EO

mlmp08 posted:

current event: Americans like getting child tax credit money that passed in the last covid stimulus plan back in March. Turns out $300/month per child is a big deal for middle class and lower income parents.

Conservatives haaaaaaaaate it.

Water wet, we know, but it's amazing how much they truly despise the well being of people they pretend to care about

Lake of Methane posted:

Oh my god thank you for bringing that Twitter account to my attention.

https://twitter.com/nocontextafgwar/status/1414758665131802624

lol I was about to ask if that was a weasel because I somehow missed the cross and flag

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Jul 22, 2021

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

mlmp08 posted:

Another big thing - if people don't have their information on file with the IRS for direct deposit, they'll get that extra $1000-$1600 as a lump sum at tax time next year, on top of the previous credit's $2K. There's quite a bit of concern that the $300/month isn't getting to the neediest folks that don't have their banking information on file, so at least there's an automatic component at worst.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Cugel the Clever posted:

Speaking of which, one of the few things Britain has done right recently is expand the visa available to HK residents.

Same

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

ZF? Yeah.... that's gonna have enormous impacts.

Welp that explains why this bearing factory suddenly went from running 7 days a week to 4

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
On the heels of the Union Pacific announcing taking a t-break (a break from transporting cargo to Chicago), the ticker for UNP is up 2 and a quarter percent, currently +$4.98 for the day. Gotta love the bailout based economy.

I can't believe I've wasted so much time working for a living when I could have just been owning shares in bloodthirsty, union busting monopolists that pay dividends

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

Fuuuuuuck that.

Hitting a volleyball stings in normal temperatures*, I don’t want to imagine how much it hurts in freezing temperatures.

*Probably not for them because they play semi professionally but still.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

US Berder Patrol posted:

On the heels of the Union Pacific announcing taking a t-break (a break from transporting cargo to Chicago), the ticker for UNP is up 2 and a quarter percent, currently +$4.98 for the day. Gotta love the bailout based economy.

I can't believe I've wasted so much time working for a living when I could have just been owning shares in bloodthirsty, union busting monopolists that pay dividends

I posted that link in the stock degenerate thread and the announcement turned out to have been from last week

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008
Oh if anyone is having internet/app issues right now Akamai services have poo poo the bed. Haven’t found anything NOT impacted yet

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

crazyivan45 posted:

Oh if anyone is having internet/app issues right now Akamai services have poo poo the bed. Haven’t found anything NOT impacted yet

That might explain why the USAA app has been so funky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

shame on an IGA posted:

I posted that link in the stock degenerate thread and the announcement turned out to have been from last week

hm

guess I'll never truly understand stock pricing/valuation