Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sankara posted:

Does his own fire hurt him? The fire beard is a pretty bizarre choice if so.

Obviously it's Ponyta rules. The fire only hurts if he doesn't like you.

He's more resistant to fire than most people, but not immune.

The fire beard is basically showing off. He has such tight control that he can have fire right on his face and still not be injured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sankara posted:

Does his own fire hurt him? The fire beard is a pretty bizarre choice if so.

Obviously it's Ponyta rules. The fire only hurts if he doesn't like you.

His body overheats the hotter he makes his quirk. Fire beard is nothing but using his big moves could - in my imagination - turn him into Shishio from Rurouni Kenshin and burn away all his sweat glands. Or some other horrible thing like cook his own eyeballs.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

It’s also why he did the quirk marriage stuff. Shoto doesn’t overheat (or freeze for that matter) provided he uses both quirks. But only using one leads to his resistance eventually failing, leading to burning or freezing himself to death.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I hear you, I see you, but we all know he's just Ponyta.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Sankara posted:

That episode sure was a whole lot of nothing. "Focus on one thing at a time", my, what deep advice that could only come from the Number One Hero, and not like, anyone, at all, anywhere.

Next episode looks fun though, I like gravity girl and frog girl.

And yet we live in a world where "Clean your room" is enough to make someone a cult leader. :shrug:

Lord_Magmar posted:

It’s also why he did the quirk marriage stuff. Shoto doesn’t overheat (or freeze for that matter) provided he uses both quirks. But only using one leads to his resistance eventually failing, leading to burning or freezing himself to death.

It actually kinda bugs me the way these sorts of limitations are often ignored throughout the series. We never see Overhaul like, injecting himself with the super quirk steroids but he was still able even before the big transformation thing just endlessly do wide range and large scale effects with his quirk without hint of exhaustion when quirks have been described as being like a special muscle with all that implied. I liked the series being kind of like the MCU/Marvel X-Men films where the superhuman abilities were mostly toned/dialed down especially when it made sense for the students but it only seems to ever really apply to the protagonists (such as Hawks losing effectiveness without his full complement of feathers) and I can't remember the last time any villains were like "Oh poo poo I am running out of time/juice/special ammo/energy to keep going!".

I love the idea of these limitations because it helps create this great sense of satisfaction to see the characters (both protagonists and antagonists) overcome them, but it just feels so inconsistent and so much so more like power creep in a card game.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Raenir Salazar posted:

And yet we live in a world where "Clean your room" is enough to make someone a cult leader. :shrug:

It actually kinda bugs me the way these sorts of limitations are often ignored throughout the series. We never see Overhaul like, injecting himself with the super quirk steroids but he was still able even before the big transformation thing just endlessly do wide range and large scale effects with his quirk without hint of exhaustion when quirks have been described as being like a special muscle with all that implied. I liked the series being kind of like the MCU/Marvel X-Men films where the superhuman abilities were mostly toned/dialed down especially when it made sense for the students but it only seems to ever really apply to the protagonists (such as Hawks losing effectiveness without his full complement of feathers) and I can't remember the last time any villains were like "Oh poo poo I am running out of time/juice/special ammo/energy to keep going!".

I love the idea of these limitations because it helps create this great sense of satisfaction to see the characters (both protagonists and antagonists) overcome them, but it just feels so inconsistent and so much so more like power creep in a card game.

Overhaul is notably loving busted as all hell and can likely just use his own quirk to undo the quirk exhaustion he should suffer. Especially because he's been exercising his quirk constantly for a very long time, so he's likely very practised at using it for extended durations through quirk fatigue too.

I think from memory Shigaraki's dried skin is actually the side-effect of his quirk from one of the side things when he first showed up. Some quirks also just don't really cause much exhaustion depending on the sort they are, Stockpile Quirks for example do it the other way (build up enough thing to do quirk, like Fatgum or Eri) instead of leaving you exhausted for doing so. Almost all the physical mutation stuff (tailman, froppy) also don't really do exhaustion beyond physical exhaustion for working on it.

Bakugo in particular specifically only has a problem if he goes for long enough that he dehydrates from sweating too much for example, or tires out his own body resisting his explosions (it's mentioned that those guantlets are killer on your shoulders in the fight against All Might, and that Bakugo doesn't need the gauntlets to do explosions of that force, just to make them safer/easier to use any time he wants).

Think of it this way, a lot of the villains that we see are either only fighting for a short time, or are well practised with their quirks such that they're likely capable of long term combat with them regardless, and even then we see plenty of examples of them failing or loving up outside the big villains, who so far include Stain (trained as a hero, spent several years as a killer), Overhaul (trained for years and has had plenty of practice), All for One (hahahahahah of course his limitations are gone dude is hundreds of years old). So on and so forth.

We also rarely get fights from the perspective of the villains, so we don't usually see their fears they won't have the juice to win/fight/etc. I think Toga mentioned her limits during the Yakuza arc too, specifically how long she could transform for with the blood she had from Izuku.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The interesting "limit" to Overhaul's quirk is that, while he can put himself back together again, it is basically advanced surgery without anesthesia. He felt every bit of Deku vaporizing his face as well as reconstructing his own head. I always wondered if this could at least partly explain his insanity - activating his quirk on himself has to be unfathomably painful.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not a bad filler but judging by the preview we’re still not at the fireworks factory yet (though from what I hear the skipped arc will likely come near the very end of the season).

Also reminder we’re on a 3 week hiatus from next week on due to the Olympics

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Was that post-credit scene a teaser for the next movie or am I forgetting something re: the skipped arc?

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

That was a very light and fluffy episode.

Those couriers were pretty stupid, though. "We should wait until dark". That was barely dusk when they moved out!

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Technowolf posted:

Was that post-credit scene a teaser for the next movie or am I forgetting something re: the skipped arc?

That's a movie teaser.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Full version of the theme song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajSUsKNAwhw

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Man this season has been kinda dull

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

The last arc will make up for it I promise, just be patient a little longer.

And without spoiling anything I will say that the series starts picking up in a big way after the events of this season and never really slows down again from there.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

unfortunately thats the result of two breather arcs reordered to be back to back

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

... Is Nejire's hero name seriously Nejire-chan?

raocow
Apr 23, 2007

Keen Dreams

Please give me a chance to be a better person. -Willhart
her name means 'to twist' so 'nejire-chan' is like 'twist girl' or something like that. basically the only character that seems to acknowledge her name is already a pun.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Kild posted:

unfortunately thats the result of two breather arcs reordered to be back to back

I didn’t think it would have such an impact, but it really has. These movies are really messing the anime production up and it doesn’t even feel worth it because it’s lowering my interest in watching the actual show

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Asuron posted:

I didn’t think it would have such an impact, but it really has. These movies are really messing the anime production up and it doesn’t even feel worth it because it’s lowering my interest in watching the actual show

Just the first arc of this season felt completely redundant, and suffers from cast bloat. We don't need to know about every student in the school, and we didn't need to see every fight. There also has been a bunch of exam/tournament arcs already, and aside from some minor power-ups this didn't really bring anything new to the table. Deku gaining new powers could have been inserted into pretty much any arc.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I like seeing the expanded cast get some limelight but they really should have chosen just a few class b and class a kids to focus on than try to spread themselves between every kid across 2 classes

But I would say the recent clip show episodes are much worse than that

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Nice to know that MHAs response to things like Jujutsu Kaisen and Demon Slayer anime is stumble over its own feet and fall headfirst into a pile of manure, I guess.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Just a hunch but they were probably also trying to plan the season around the three week Olympic break to some degree. Just unfortunate all around though I'm not as down on it as some of y'all.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Nice to know that MHAs response to things like Jujutsu Kaisen and Demon Slayer anime is stumble over its own feet and fall headfirst into a pile of manure, I guess.

Someone hasn''t read the Demon Slayer manga.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah, I'm talking about the animes specifically, MHA manga has been super solid for a while now.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

LostRook posted:

Someone hasn''t read the Demon Slayer manga.

Has it fallen down a quality hole or something?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the ending was not well paced. the character writing gets very rushed while fights feel needlessly drawn out, probably as a side effect of the action in that series never really being the interesting/strong point

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The final battles aren't too bad but it has a powerful feel of a work being ended early. We're talking like, a character getting flashbacks to explain stuff that was clearly meant to be an arc, a final badguy for them shows up that we didn't know hardly anything about, then that badguy loses.

I imagine it'll be better when it's animated but it's definitely truncated to a nearly painful degree

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

dogsicle posted:

the ending was not well paced. the character writing gets very rushed while fights feel needlessly drawn out, probably as a side effect of the action in that series never really being the interesting/strong point

which funnily enough is not a problem the anime will have

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex

Fabricated posted:

a final badguy for them shows up that we didn't know hardly anything about, then that badguy loses.

Don't spoil Mugen Train, come on.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

I'm still irked about them rearranging the arcs so it's hard for me to enjoy this episode, but I did really enjoy the hilarious awkwardness of poor Midoriya and Bakugo caught in the middle of the Todoroki family drama.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

F L A S H B A C K S

P A C I N G

This season sucks, and it has nothing to do with reordering arcs.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

How long does an anime season go for? Like, how much time does S5 have left to turn everything around and avoid being the worst season of MHA by far?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
It’s funny I think things would have been more enjoyable had they been in the proper order.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

How long does an anime season go for? Like, how much time does S5 have left to turn everything around and avoid being the worst season of MHA by far?

The last 3 MHA seasons have been 25 episodes long. The Endeavor arc will hopefully end on episode 18 next week. Going by the OP there is going to be an episode for Aizawa stuff, which will either be 19 or 25. So the last arc is probably going to be 6 episodes. It's a fast paced arc so they can probably fit it if they get rid of their useless loving time wasting and flashbacks.

Looking at it like that if anything having limited time might be for the best. :smugjones:

Zeron posted:

I'm not sure any order change could have saved this episode. We already know all about how they're working with Endeavor and Endeavor's family troubles, there was literally nothing new. It was cute at least.

Just to make it more clear how bad this episode was, the whole thing covered an entire one chapter of the manga. They created new filler scenes of things we've already seen just to waste time. The week after doing a whole filler episode.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jul 24, 2021

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

I'm not sure any order change could have saved this episode. We already know all about how they're working with Endeavor and Endeavor's family troubles, there was literally nothing new. It was cute at least.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Nephthys posted:

Just to make it more clear how bad this episode was, the whole thing covered an entire one chapter of the manga. They created new filler scenes of things we've already seen just to waste time. The week after doing a whole filler episode.

Yeah, they are really stretching this arc out.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm starting to have little faith in the arc I want to see being adapted well, given how badly bones seems to want to not do it. It should've been over half a cour imo, and they're basically running away from it screaming

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

imo that arc is only 22 chapters so expecting 7 or 8 episodes seems like a lot. I expect that they’ll knock it out of the park since it seems really hard to not do it well

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

imo that arc is only 22 chapters so expecting 7 or 8 episodes seems like a lot. I expect that they’ll knock it out of the park since it seems really hard to not do it well

Yeah, now that I think about what happens in the arc and trying to plot it out myself 6 or 7 episodes would be what I'd expect a regularly paced version of that arc to be. It's probably that Bones' sluggish pacing has made me overestimate how long you'd need for it to be good.

I'm not so sure that it's a dead cert homerun though. At least with the initial release I imagine they'll have to censor it quite a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

If dragging this arc out means the next one will actually be paced properly then it's a net positive imo. The real problem is really just that this season didn't actually need to be 25 episodes in the first place, there's no reason they couldn't have just trimmed a couple episodes off this and the training arc and capped it off at 20 episodes or whatever.