Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

20mm? The current Watch 3 is 22mm. I'll be pissed if they go down in size because I have a ton of 22mm straps. 20mm is too skinny for a 46mm case.

Hopefully it's just an oversight on the article and they are only referring to the smaller sizes.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Yeah a 46mm face with 20mm bands would look a bit silly.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Finally, 44mm. The 45mm GW3 was a significant improvement over the original model, but still a little too bulky for my taste. Give me a slim, 44mm case and I won't even mind parting with all my 22mm straps.

Battery life could be an issue, though, considering the serious downgrade going from GW1 to the GW3.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

LOL - my Ticwatch is 46.9mm. It is ridiculously huge, but it was cheap. It doesn't help I have freakishly thin bird wrists.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

46mm is great for me. Here's how most smartwatches look (moto 360 here)

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

46mm is great for me. Here's how most smartwatches look (moto 360 here)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I had erased that from memory :(

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Where's the wrist?.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ah poo poo guys I think I'm out of the smartwatch game for a while. Got one of those silly "real" watches.

This is all Samsung's fault for having such an uninspired design and the general push towards smart=plastic-y fitness style.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'm a Tag Heuer fan, a video game player, and even I think this Nintendo collab is weird as hell.

Will be like the cost of 7 Switches too.

I guess they assume Nintendo fans will buy anything so that's a good way of clearing out their unsold previous gen stock.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Jul 14, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I bet that doesn't get the next wearos update

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Welp, my trusty ol' HWatch has died by 3 PM three times this week with no obvious reason. I'm just sitting at my desk, phone inches away, wifi available, all day.

I'm going to factory reset it after it recharges, but assuming that doesn't fix it do we have any hints as to when the new watches are going to start hitting the market?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Samsung unpacked is Aug 11th and an Amazon leak said Aug 27th for shipping.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

bull3964 posted:

Samsung unpacked is Aug 11th and an Amazon leak said Aug 27th for shipping.

Amazon leaked the Switch Pro lol

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Len posted:

Amazon leaked the Switch Pro lol

They didn't have full product page with all of the specs listed like they did for this. Plus, we know that the Watch 4 actually exists unlike the switch pro which doesn't and isn't going to.

Looks like the processor in the Watch 4 is called W920. Detailed specs are scarce, but it's saying 1.25x increase in processor performance and 8.8x GPU performance compared to the Exynos 9110.

This is interesting. From a processor perspective, it shouldn't significantly outclass the 4100 since the 4100 is on par with the 9110 core for core but has twice the cores. GPU however, is a different story. The Adreno 504 in the Wear 4100 is barely better than the Mali-T700 in the 9110. Now, that 8.8x is likely from a very selective benchmark so it may not be the same increase across the board, but that may indicate that the Watch 4 devices may have quite a bit more visual flair than ones running 4100.

The other thing is the the Watch 4 devices have 1.5gb of ram. That could spell trouble for the TicWatch 4100 devices if that much ram is required for the new OS.

I also wonder with them naming the process with a W (presumably for wear) if they are going to be selling to other watchmakers and if they will provide reference hardware to other manufacturers.

It does seem like they are swinging for the fences with these devices, so hopefully the software is good enough for the hardware.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 15, 2021

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
The Verge seem to have prempted a Google blog post with more information about the new Wear OS update

• It's called Wear OS 3
  • Nothing gets updated except 4100 TicWatches and the Q4 2021 Fossils
  • Eligible devices won't be updated till Q2 2022, will require a hardware reset, and may not even run it well

Somewhat predictable, but nice to have it written in stone.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

quote:

And that list also leaves all of Samsungs Tizen-based watches out. Theyre currently the best option for most Android users, but they now appear to officially have an expiration date.

Uh...yeah. Samsung said as much during the wear announcement back during IO. That's not new information at all.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Vagrancy posted:

The Verge seem to have prempted a Google blog post with more information about the new Wear OS update

• It's called Wear OS 3
  • Nothing gets updated except 4100 TicWatches and the Q4 2021 Fossils
  • Eligible devices won't be updated till Q2 2022, will require a hardware reset, and may not even run it well

Somewhat predictable, but nice to have it written in stone.

[Dave Chappelle from the pop copy sketch from first episode of Chappelle's show]
Perfect!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Everyone seems to be jumping on "experience may be impacted" as relating to performance, but I'm betting it's more around fitness tracking.

It's unlikely that the new Samsung processor is going to be a huge leap beyond the 4100 in raw performance (even what's been released so far seems to indicate that, aside from GPU performance, but that's potentially tunable by turning down visual flair). Now, the 1.5gb of ram in the new Samsung watches gives me a little pause since the Ticwatch only has 1gb. However, I'm betting the "impacted experience" is going to be around stuff like continuous heartrate tracking or some other sensor package that the current watches lack.

One other thing I would like clarity on is if apps written for Wear 3.0 work on older versions or if there's a hard cutoff there. If they are backward compatible, then that takes a lot of sting out of things regardless.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I just want assistant to work :negative:

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Im genuinely interested in the watch 4 just because I've never had a wearable, hopefully its solid.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is this going to be the year Android finally gets something on par with an Apple Watch?

no

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Len posted:

Is this going to be the year Android finally gets something on par with an Apple Watch?

no

I still haven't had it adequately explained to me what this actually means in real terms.

Make no mistake, I recognize the integrations Apple has that are great for niche things. My friend has an Apple watch because she can see the readings of her glucose monitor that sync to the iPhone on her wrist discreetly. That's a real QoL thing that you can't get on Android (and coincidentally is the only reason she's using an iOS device, she was happier with her Pixel.) However, for the average person, I don't get this attitude. What is the Apple Watch doing on the day to day basis which makes it so elevated an experience? The battery life is unremarkable. It doesn't have an AoD. Fitness tracking is just average, placing it on par with Samsung and below dedicated devices like Garmin and Fitbit. Sleep tracking is behind Samsung and Fitbit. I mean, I guess you have a better experience if you have an LTE connected device, but I just can't justify paying for data on a wearable and most people aren't.

I dunno, Wear or Tizen gets me 95% of the way there for what I want out of a wearable. It just needs a few rough edges sanded off.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Plus, the Apple Watch's single form factor is ugly as hell.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I have a samsung active 2 and it does everything my apple watch series 1 did. Though idk I may be a light user, pretty much anything beyond fitness tracking and notifications feels like looking for something that your new gadget can do that your phone can do better. I also have had a few wearos watches and they were fine, though more sluggish at times, especially after a reboot.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

bull3964 posted:

Fitness tracking is just average, placing it on par with Samsung and below dedicated devices like Garmin and Fitbit.
I had a Galaxy Watch and several Fitbit. And none of their heart rate sensors were reliable at all. One of the reasons I got an AW6 is because of the HR sensor. It works fine, and better than the other devices, according to some statistician gadget freak over on Youtube (some Swiss dude, whose name I forgot, comparing scatter plots of lots of devices vs. quality HR straps). None of this stupid poo poo like double or triple heart rate while sitting down. None of the 30bpm negative offset during exercise.

Also the non-SE has AOD. And the sleep tracking is OK considering. None of the devices have reliable sleep tracking, anyway.

As far as usability goes, in the past I always bitched against rectangular watches, them not being "real watches". But the UI has to do slightly less compromises compared to round watches. Doesn't help that UI elements on GW looked relatively terrible to begin with.

And lastly, Fitbit was a general shitshow, because gently caress me, there wasn't one model that wasn't problematic in regards to Bluetooth. My Charge 3 couldn't reliably connect to two different Android phones, being different gen Galaxy S models, and also not with my iPhone back then. All very common phones. And their forums were flooded with similar complaints. I sure hope the story is better nowadays.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Can't it also do things like act as 2FA authenticator for Apple devices, unlock your MacBook, unlock your phone when you're wearing a face mask, and have tight integration with first party apps?

As for other things I'd like my Wear device to do that it can't that the Apple watch can, I can think of a few. In the case of Fossils, I'd like my watch to stay assembled for more than ten weeks. In the cases of better assembled watches, I'd like for the UI to be at least somewhat responsive. I'd like for the OS to feel like a single person involved in making the software has ever actually used it instead of every task being torturous.

I'll admit that once the watch is set up the way I want it, it's fine but everything about getting it to that state is horrible and unacceptable not just in comparison to however it works on Apple but in a vacuum.

I also don't care about health features at all and that's the primary focus of the Apple watch as far as I can tell. Given the hoops they've jumped through to gain legitimacy in that area with actual experts I'd certainly consider them a cut above whatever anyone else is offering. So even excluding what is obviously Apple's premier differentiator I'm saying it's not even close, but if that's meaningful to someone else then there's not even a contest.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

I had a Galaxy Watch and several Fitbit. And none of their heart rate sensors were reliable at all. One of the reasons I got an AW6 is because of the HR sensor. It works fine, and better than the other devices, according to some statistician gadget freak over on Youtube (some Swiss dude, whose name I forgot, comparing scatter plots of lots of devices vs. quality HR straps). None of this stupid poo poo like double or triple heart rate while sitting down. None of the 30bpm negative offset during exercise.

Also the non-SE has AOD. And the sleep tracking is OK considering. None of the devices have reliable sleep tracking, anyway.

My Watch 3 has been spot on with heartrate as far as I can tell, none of the oddness that you've mentioned there. The sleep tracking has been really good for me. The sleep cycles listed have always directly correlated to how I fee the next day (especially the deep sleep tracking.) I will admit though that I really don't give two shits what my heartrate is during exercise outside of a curiosity. Every time I want to actually track exercise, it lasts about a week until I realize that I'm doing absolutely nothing with the metrics.

LastInLine posted:

Can't it also do things like act as 2FA authenticator for Apple devices, unlock your MacBook, unlock your phone when you're wearing a face mask, and have tight integration with first party apps?

You know what else unlocks your phone while wearing a face mask? A finger. Also, any bluetooth device can be added as a trusted device in android and my Pixel unlocks my Chromebook. Don't own a Macbook and I doubt I ever will so the ecosystem stuff falls really flat with me.

As far as performance goes, both the Ticwatch Pro 3 and Galaxy Watch 3 have actually been a joy to use. No odd lagginess or anything. I was actually shocked when I setup the Ticwatch 3 and it was just....done. Like 5 minutes after I started. But yeah, the fossil group watches have crap long term build quality, but if you pay more than $110 or so for one of those, you are being taken. The Samsung watches have very good build quality.

But, I have to ask, what does "tight integration with first party apps" really translate to in functionality?

Maybe I just don't do enough with my gadgets. I can send and receive messages on my wrist (gboard is great on wear), take calls if I wanted to for some reason, see the weather, access my keep notes for grocery lists and whatnot and pay from my wrist.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

You know what else unlocks your phone while wearing a face mask? A finger. Also, any bluetooth device can be added as a trusted device in android and my Pixel unlocks my Chromebook. Don't own a Macbook and I doubt I ever will so the ecosystem stuff falls really flat with me.

You're missing the forest for the trees. The whole point of Apple is to sell normal people technology that they know will work together without any nerd poo poo and without having to worry that they bought the wrong thing. If you can't understand that, then no wonder you don't see why "ecosystem stuff" matters, or why saying that anyone who pays asking price for a Fossil is a fool misses the point entirely.

If you have to make sure you buy the right model at the right price and maybe it will work okay, then you know you're talking about something lovely. People don't buy new iPhones because of whatever feature was introduced on the newest one, they buy them because they will work as well as the last one did for as long as the last one did without them having to do any research. They buy Apple watches because they work whereas you mention how if you buy the right Wear OS watch (and there are two out of several hundred which are the right ones) then you're fine. That right there is the difference.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jul 29, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

Yeah, I'll start using a finger to unlock my phone while I'm working on Obama's reelection campaign! I'll stick with face unlock, thanks, it's 2021 where I live. As for a trusted bluetooth device, that's hardly the same as something that you have actually grant access to with the device that's on your wrist. If you're using a trusted bluetooth device you might as well just get rid of security on your phone altogether. Unless the trusted device must be interacted with to approve the authorization, that's just useless.

I got some bad news for you if you decide to move past the Pixel 4/4 XL when it comes to face unlock.

I don't agree with trusted devices being useless because the attack vector of someone spoofing a bluetooth device or somehow getting your watch (in their possession) within range of your phone sometime after you've unlocked the phone (but now out of your possession) is really really slim. No, the security isn't as good, but it doesn't have to be.

quote:

MacBooks now all have TouchID so it's not exactly anything huge but anyone with an older Mac would surely appreciate the gesture. While I've never used the Apple feature with my MacBook, I do use my Pixel to unlock my Pixelbook and "clunky" isn't even close to how lovely it is. When Google doesn't simply break the feature (which is often) it takes forever to work and you have to unlock the phone to do it. I use it because typing my 30 character Google password to unlock the Pixelbook is quite the chore but if this is your idea of equivalence to what Apple offers then it's obvious why you need it explained in real terms what par is. Par would be if, when my Pixelbook was at the lockscreen, I just had to tap my phone without looking and it would unlock it to the desktop. What it is, for those who have not used the feature, is you have to unlock the phone fully (simply unlocking isn't enough, you must be past the lockscreen), then you have to tap the profile image on the Chromebook.

I think here though you are slightly romanticizing the "just works" marketing from Apple. "When Google doesn't simply break the feature". There were a bunch of people who had the Apple Watch unlock breaking after upgrading to Big Sur and it took a few updates for Apple to fix the feature. I'm not saying they have issues as often, but issues do pop up and for something like this is only takes a little bit of frustration to write off the feature.

Regardless, using an Apple Watch to log in a Mac (if you happen to own one), while a nice feature, isn't really something that I would claim as a huge advantage of the platform.

quote:

Hell if I know, I don't have an Apple watch and don't use Apple first party apps. I do know Maps hasn't automatically launched when navigating since I was on Wear 1.3 and that's what I'd call "absent integration with first party apps".

Eh, I prefer the way it functions now. If you start navigation, it shows up as a notification with the next step that you can open into maps if you want. Maps itself on wear needs some work though I'll admit.

Maybe it's just me though. I also don't really care for iOS and find it's UI much more scattershot and inconsistent than Android so that could contribute. Maybe Apple Watch owners are just so relieved to not deal with notifications on iOS that that have to sing the praises.

At the end of the day, there are only so many things you can do effectively from your wrist on a small screen. As a tech bauble that's used to enrich other ecosystem experiences, yeah, the Apple Watch excels but it's all meaningless if you aren't heavily entrenched in that ecosystem and I'm not even sure what an analog would look like on the Android side.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

You're missing the forest for the trees. The whole point of Apple is to sell normal people technology that they know will work together without any nerd poo poo and without having to worry that they bought the wrong thing. If you can't understand that, then no wonder you don't see why "ecosystem stuff" matters, or why saying that anyone who pays asking price for a Fossil is a fool misses the point entirely.

If you have to make sure you buy the right model at the right price and maybe it will work okay, then you know you're talking about something lovely. People don't buy new iPhones because of whatever feature was introduced on the newest one, they buy them because they will work as well as the last one did for as long as the last one did without them having to do any research. They buy Apple watches because they work whereas you mention how if you buy the right Wear OS watch (and there are two out of several hundred which are the right ones) then you're fine. That right there is the difference.

Then if that's the only real thing here, then the Samsung Google partnership should clear all that up.

But then it doesn't because there are a bunch of other devices for sale still and there always will be.

It's just the same Android vs iOS argument again when it comes to hardware vendors. You can run out and buy the FreedomPhone if you want. It doesn't make it a good idea and it doesn't make Android 12 on the Pixel poo poo either. That's another example of making "sure you buy the right model at the right price and maybe it will work okay." That's why I was focusing on the actual tangible day to day advantages of one platform vs the other. Given the best example of each platform, what about the experience makes it the absolute benchmark? What are you routinely doing on one that you can't on the other (either due to missing functionality or usability issues.)

To clear up what you posted, google would have to lock Wear down to one vendor, force the framework to be part of the underlying OS, and enforce certain hardware standards on handsets to ensure they don't have difficulty communicating with the device. Then they would have to hard deprecate Wear 2.0 and below to the point where manufacturers couldn't even sell those devices anymore. That's just never going to happen and I don't think it's anything that anyone wants to happen.

What you highlighted is the reason why apple sold 30 million watches in 2020 while Samsung sold 9 million. But Wear 3.0 completely owning every aspect of being a wearable platform and the latest Watch 4 being unparalleled in wearable hardware will not move that needle, at all. Wearables are even more of a lifestyle device than phones are and it doesn't matter how much functionality WearOS has or how competently it pulls it off. It will never be the ubiquitous lifestyle device with deep hooks into an ecosystem that the Apple Watch is because that's not how the Android market or ecosystem works and never has.

I mean, it also helps that the Apple Watch is the only device that's allowed to have full functionality on an iOS device too.

So, to summarize, if the answer to why apple watches are so much better is the deep ecosystem hooks, then might as well unbookmark this thread because that's not changing and that's not going to matter as deeply to a lot of people. If the answer is because of how the device functions as a wearable, then that's something that can be identified and hoped for in these new devices and OS version.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jul 29, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Oh, good, I showed up just in time for a heated Android versus iOS slapfight.

In any case, I just stopped by to say that so far I'm pretty happy with my refurb Ticwatch E2, and the biggest issue I've had is with the charger. This seems to be a common problem with them, to the point it comes with a big warning to not connect it to a USB charger that puts out more than 1.1 amps. WearOS has been good for my purposes, and I'm still exploring the things I can do with it.

And so, in closing, Apple sucks.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Since we're doing the OS wars again... I'm not opposed to going with WearOS, because I'm not sure how long I want to stick to an iPhone. But considering the loving shitshow WearOS has been so far, over multiple years, I'll be sitting the watch stuff out for quite a while. Which also means that stupid tight iPhone integration of the AW ties me down some more to iOS. I can't be assed with Google's ADHD on non-rockstar projects.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

Since we're doing the OS wars again... I'm not opposed to going with WearOS, because I'm not sure how long I want to stick to an iPhone. But considering the loving shitshow WearOS has been so far, over multiple years, I'll be sitting the watch stuff out for quite a while. Which also means that stupid tight iPhone integration of the AW ties me down some more to iOS. I can't be assed with Google's ADHD on non-rockstar projects.

Again though, that's what I'm asking. What about the "stupid tight" iPhone integration are you using that locks you into the ecosystem? I genuinely want to know. Are you interfacing with accessories that only have apps on Apple Watch? Are you all in on Apple Fitness? What are you doing beyond time and notifications that makes it a killer accessory?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I like the Apple Watch interface (I think I mentioned earlier that I think Tizen looks like crap), the few apps I have on there (Outlook, Authy, YNAB, MyFitnessPal, and a properly working Spotify app contrary to many claims, as well as Home Assistant integration), plus the properly working HRM for me. And since the AW only works with an iPhone, that's that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Even if I wouldn't use them all I'm just jealous that my partners phone has more bells and whistles and I want that

Also every AW she's got has just felt sturdier and lasted longer than my Moto 360, LG Style, or Fossil Gen 5

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

I like the Apple Watch interface (I think I mentioned earlier that I think Tizen looks like crap), the few apps I have on there (Outlook, Authy, YNAB, MyFitnessPal, and a properly working Spotify app contrary to many claims, as well as Home Assistant integration), plus the properly working HRM for me. And since the AW only works with an iPhone, that's that.

So, basically you want better 3rd party app support and more consistent fitness sensors? (UI preference is going to be what it is regardless)

That doesn't seem horribly insurmountable in a new generation of devices. We'll have to see if the development enhancements that Google has pushed will lead to more app releases on wear.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I guess we'll see. The thing I'm still most wary about is software development. As alluded before, WearOS seemed to have been the red-headed stepchild up until now.

--edit:
Also in regards to the fitness stuff, the way Google has handled their Health Fit app isn't exactly inspiring confidence. It's a joke compared to Apple Health. At least last I remember.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jul 29, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I know looking at it as a whole, WearOS looks bad. You have to be aware of how public perception and narratives work. They can be hard to shake. I know theres lots of poo poo out there, but I have to say I've no complaints about my Ticwatch Pro 3 with the 4100 chip. Fast, great battery, does what I want and lots I haven't scratched the surface of.

Just as a bad image is hard to shake, a well developed good one can be hard to be broken as well. Everyone knows apple purposefully fucks their own phones batteries so you have to buy a new one. poo poo quality cords come bundled, until they stopped bundling them at all. Features on android take years to find their way to ios if they do at all. If your phone does last, you'll start to get locked out of certain apps because you cant update to the newest ios. I always say, a successful company has to manufacture one of two things, quality products, or demand for their product. Apple doesn't make their living on the cutting edge, they've risen to where they are by fostering an image and creating a culture where the general public who doesn't know much about technology (well in excess of 80% of people I'd wager) are hopelessly convinced that this sweatshop built, made-to-fail junk box is truly a premium device and anything else is the equivalent of taking the bus compared to driving a Mercedes.

Let me be clear though, all phones are junk. Some better than others, but nothing like there should be. There cant be. Its basically Malibu Stacey vs Lisa Lionheart. What incentive is there for a company, even with the resources of a Google to pull out all the stops and deliver a truly great product when their market share (at least in the west) is going to be invariably smaller so you're fighting for a tiny piece of the pie.

Literally god help you if you aren't apple or samsung. The blissfully ignorant public who's dollars hold the sway over these matters are, well, blissfully ignorant. In some sectors an enthusiast might get lucky when top rivals try to outdo each other to deliver the best product. But as apple has figured out and perfected, theres no sense in working your fingers to the bone trying to come up with the next big innovation when you can just manipulate the people into thinking what you give them is good, even when its barely discernable from last years offering. They've done their work creating that culture, so they can half rear end it now for the long haul. All while samsung has given up as well and mostly just follows suit. We're hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Combat Pretzel posted:

Also in regards to the fitness stuff, the way Google has handled their Health Fit app isn't exactly inspiring confidence. It's a joke compared to Apple Health. At least last I remember.

I agree in theory, but in the end it's all meaningless colored circles to me. Gamifying exercise and activity has never worked for me in the motivation department.

I put in at least 5, 1 hour sessions of exercise a week that I know raises my heartrate into the proper zones and that's basically all I really need to know. I'm 42 years old. I'm not training for a marathon. I'm not an athlete in competitive sports. Detailed metrics during the sessions isn't really going to help me improve and getting in an extra 2,000 steps during the day isn't going to enhance my health in a meaningful way.

If you are using your wearable for coaching during exercise, to lay out your workout, then yeah I see the advantage. But again, at 42 I know myself well enough that if I'm not exercising in a group setting with someone else dictating what's going on, then I'm not going to actually do it.

The one piece of health tracking that I have found meaningful and has had a measurable impact on my life is sleep tracking. I've been extremely pleased with the metrics that the Watch 3 has given me and I've actually been able to track real cause and effect outcomes to help me feel more rested. Stuff like fine tuning pillow arrangement or the timing of a snack in the evening has had measurable and trending effects on sleep cycles and restlessness during the night that translates to how i feel the next day. I'm actually the most fearful of that moving to wear, I hope Samsung's sleep tracking doesn't get hosed up in the transition because the Ticwatch Pro 3 is trash at sleep tracking.