Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Disco Pope posted:

The faster Tumblr dies, the faster the formats where a)

Someone makes a dumb pun (probably about Loki or Dr Who), another poster makes a further pun and the third poster is literally dying

or b)

A poster says something vaguely progressive but uncontroversial, a poster of dubious authenticity self-owns trying to refute it and then a third poster is literally dying

die off and this is a good thing for the greater Internet.
Tumblr was a containment zone. All that’s happened since Tumblr’s demise is that it’s spread to everywhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Question Mark Mound posted:

Tumblr was a containment zone. All that’s happened since Tumblr’s demise is that it’s spread to everywhere else.

And everyone who's still there seems pretty cool, actually. I believe the current-Tumblr-users theory on this is 'Tumblr stayed the same level of quality, everywhere else just got worse'.

Personally, I would also raise that at some point... y'know, roughly around the middle of the 2010s... we realized that while we were all laughing at Tumblr's cringeworthy but fairly harmless leftists, the internet idiots on the other side of the political spectrum proved themselves to be legitimately dangerous. We just didn't see it, because they weren't as funny.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
This is an incredibly useful image pair for explaining some pretty complex concepts though.

Disco Pope has a new favorite as of 14:32 on Jul 22, 2021

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
https://twitter.com/quendergeer/status/1418188760039280642?s=19

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

But no one trusts the Dutch! what with their wooden shoes and tulips.....and social programs? poo poo....

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Fictional pronouns, as opposed to naturally-occuring renewable ones

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Is the idiot the mean jackass trying to poo poo all over that happy enby’s dreams?

mostly people join the army for socioeconomic reasons, and it ain’t the people who can afford an Ivy League law school.

My kid for example, we can’t afford for her to do commercial aircraft engineering at university, so the airforce it is for a few years so she can get her qualifications that way.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I imagine it is more the "proud" thing to be honest.

You can have pride in any number of things, but I don't think being part of an actively oppressive military structure should be one of them. It's just that it's a job, like any other.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 15:36 on Jul 22, 2021

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
Yeah, if anyone says they're "proud to serve" and "protect freedom", rather than "this is my only avenue to education" then they've bought into the imperialist bullshit and can be mocked.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Josef bugman posted:

I imagine it is more the "proud" thing to be honest.

You can have pride in any number of things, but I don't think being part of an actively oppressive military structure should be one of them. If it's just to get through or get on in life then that's fine. More just that it's a job, like any other.

Yeah, they went the "protecting your freedom" route with it, which makes me think there's at least a partially ideological reason for their service.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

learnincurve posted:

Is the idiot the mean jackass trying to poo poo all over that happy enby’s dreams?

mostly people join the army for socioeconomic reasons, and it ain’t the people who can afford an Ivy League law school.

My kid for example, we can’t afford for her to do commercial aircraft engineering at university, so the airforce it is for a few years so she can get her qualifications that way.

If you still buy into the idea that the military is for "defending our freedom" then you are the IOSM, sorry.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

It's not a war crime when a happy enby does it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

learnincurve posted:

It's both!

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Joey Freshwater posted:

So…and pardon my ignorance…does transmisogynistic mean thats this person is prejudiced against men who have transitioned to women? The other way around? And if so are they okay with whichever is the opposite?

My brain kinda melted after I read “I may be a huge racist and”
Yes, this person specifically said she hates trans women in specific. Looking at the callout screencaps, tho, she also said she just never interacts with trans men so 'maybe she'd hate them more'. It's bad all the way down!

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

In the battle between some TERF who wrote a book about how rich Jews are behind the trans movement and the virulent anti-semite she lifted the "research" from without attribution, the victor is me because I got to see someone write down "Faux paux."

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

If you still buy into the idea that the military is for "defending our freedom" then you are the IOSM, sorry.

This isn't even the first time she's started this derail. How long until she brings up that time her friend got punched by a transphobe?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

theironjef posted:

some TERF who wrote a book about how rich Jews are behind the trans movement

I am disappointed, but sadly not suprised

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

theironjef posted:

In the battle between some TERF who wrote a book about how rich Jews are behind the trans movement and the virulent anti-semite she lifted the "research" from without attribution, the victor is me because I got to see someone write down "Faux paux."

My God... a TERF war!

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Scratch Monkey posted:

My God... a TERF war!

Whoever wins, we lose

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

theironjef posted:

Cross-posting to the "sneak peak" aggregator

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

PetraCore posted:

Yes, this person specifically said she hates trans women in specific. Looking at the callout screencaps, tho, she also said she just never interacts with trans men so 'maybe she'd hate them more'. It's bad all the way down!

There is a non-zero chance that she has never interacted with trans women either

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

All languages are invented, and many olds have difficulty learning and adjusting to new additions. Tale as old as time. Let them be angry, it's their own life they're wasting for being perpetually offended by words.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Outlaw the old.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
CANCEL THE ELDERLY

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
They belong in a museum!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am actually more surprised that there is a picture and conversation, as I was unaware you could take your phone with you to basic training. Obviously it was not as big of an issue when I was in RTC back in 2003, but I would imagine there would still be strict rules against mobile devices.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

rodbeard posted:

This isn't even the first time she's started this derail. How long until she brings up that time her friend got punched by a transphobe?

Wut? What derail, how is quoting a post a derail? Why is this anything to do with transphobia?

Teenagers who discover new things tend to be a bit over enthusiastic and the people who are mean to them because of it are far more annoying, and I’m sorry you can no longer feel joy, but that’s a you problem not a me problem.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

CANCEL THE ELDERLY

this already happens naturally.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

not soon enough.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

learnincurve posted:

Wut? What derail, how is quoting a post a derail? Why is this anything to do with transphobia?

Teenagers who discover new things tend to be a bit over enthusiastic and the people who are mean to them because of it are far more annoying, and I’m sorry you can no longer feel joy, but that’s a you problem not a me problem.

I don't think enthusiasm at the prospect of serving empire and killing foreigners can or should be equated to the enthusiasm of discovering new interests like woodworking or Magic: The Gathering

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

PhazonLink posted:

Mostly just the poor ones, sadly.

endocriminologist
May 17, 2021

SUFFERINGLOVER:press send + soul + earth lol
inncntsoul:ok

(inncntsoul has left the game)

ARCHON_MASTER:lol
MAMMON69:lol

learnincurve posted:

My life sucks because I can no longer find joy in kids joining the us army

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
This thread is contentious enough when everyone isn’t trying to dunk on each other.

Have a bad HIPAA take instead of slap fighting.

https://twitter.com/countcoffin/status/1417930695909982208?s=21

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

endocriminologist posted:

My life sucks because I can no longer find joy in kids joining the us army

I THINK that goon is British (UK? Apologies, I'm a dumb American), I'm not sure how bad their military is compared to ours. That bit was still a bit of a strange thing to say, though.

OP not the idiot:
https://twitter.com/ProbNotThatGuy/status/1418197382076973058

https://twitter.com/simonembanna/status/1418026175809658886

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

This thread is contentious enough when everyone isn’t trying to dunk on each other.

Have a bad HIPAA take instead of slap fighting.

https://twitter.com/countcoffin/status/1417930695909982208?s=21

lol "children"

the foo fighters have been officially old for a while now

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

God the loving HIPAA thing, the new sovcit magic incantation

HIPPA HIPPA HIPPA U CAN'T TOUCH ME :byodood:

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

you can pretty much guarantee that anyone spelling it "HIPPA" doesn't actually know what it covers, lol

Picnic Princess posted:

All languages are invented, and many olds have difficulty learning and adjusting to new additions. Tale as old as time. Let them be angry, it's their own life they're wasting for being perpetually offended by words.
Yes, but, there are open-class word categories that we add to all the time, like nouns and adjectives, and closed-class words, which we don't tend to add new words to because they're function words--like pronouns. So it is more difficult for people to adjust to using neopronouns than it is to adjust to using new words for computers or whatever. That said: 1) adding neopronouns into your lexicon is not impossible, people just gotta work a little more at practicing it, and 2) they/them has already been used in English for ages to refer to a single person of unknown gender, so it already exists, its function just needs to be tweaked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

is an open-class word in any way like an open-faced sandwich?